BIOS Error Messages

I've got two BIOS error messages at startup.

082. VPD Checksum error!
006. Equipment Configuration Error.

machine is IBM Thinkpad i Series model 1300 type 1171-1VU
operating system Windows ME version 4.90

IBM's site offers BIOS upgrades, and I've poked around to determine which
BIOS would be the correct one - but, the risk/reward factor is pretty high
when dealing with this issue. I'm not getting full use of some functions
(keyboard Fn keys don't operate, for instance) perhaps due to this problem,
but the machine operates well for my typical uses.

Any thoughts? I assume the error messages have a finite meaning - i.e. that
they define specifics of areas that are deficient or missing, or not being
implemented at startup - but what are they? Should I monkey around and
trying to fix it? If so, what caveats and basics should I consider before
moving ahead with BIOS upgrades? Will my machine catch on fire before it
becomes totally non-responsive and becomes yet another boat anchor?

It's probable that the only problem is your CMOS battery - change it and see
if that helps.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Red starcut spinnaker" <Redstarcutspinnaker@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:58935E3E-FC9E-4537-A756-FEC6DA6DB77D@microsoft.com...
> I've got two BIOS error messages at startup.
>
> 082. VPD Checksum error!
> 006. Equipment Configuration Error.
>
> machine is IBM Thinkpad i Series model 1300 type 1171-1VU
> operating system Windows ME version 4.90
>
> IBM's site offers BIOS upgrades, and I've poked around to determine which
> BIOS would be the correct one - but, the risk/reward factor is pretty high
> when dealing with this issue. I'm not getting full use of some functions
> (keyboard Fn keys don't operate, for instance) perhaps due to this
> problem,
> but the machine operates well for my typical uses.
>
> Any thoughts? I assume the error messages have a finite meaning - i.e.
> that
> they define specifics of areas that are deficient or missing, or not being
> implemented at startup - but what are they? Should I monkey around and
> trying to fix it? If so, what caveats and basics should I consider before
> moving ahead with BIOS upgrades? Will my machine catch on fire before it
> becomes totally non-responsive and becomes yet another boat anchor?

Your problem could be as simple as a failed or failing bios battery and
that it is no longer "remembering" your settings when the laptop is
powered off.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

wrote:

> I've got two BIOS error messages at startup.
>
> 082. VPD Checksum error!
> 006. Equipment Configuration Error.
>
> machine is IBM Thinkpad i Series model 1300 type 1171-1VU
> operating system Windows ME version 4.90
>
> IBM's site offers BIOS upgrades, and I've poked around to determine
> which BIOS would be the correct one - but, the risk/reward factor is
> pretty high when dealing with this issue. I'm not getting full use
> of some functions (keyboard Fn keys don't operate, for instance)
> perhaps due to this problem, but the machine operates well for my
> typical uses.
>
> Any thoughts? I assume the error messages have a finite meaning -
> i.e. that they define specifics of areas that are deficient or
> missing, or not being implemented at startup - but what are they?
> Should I monkey around and trying to fix it? If so, what caveats and
> basics should I consider before moving ahead with BIOS upgrades?
> Will my machine catch on fire before it becomes totally
> non-responsive and becomes yet another boat anchor?

Certainly do follow Mike and Noel's advice as they are almost surely
correct, but to address the side issue of "which files are for MY computer?"
use this handy tip. Open up the main Web page at http://www.ibm.com/, at
the top right hand corner of the screen you will see a Search box. Put in
the seven-digit model number (1171-1VU would be yours) of your IBM
computer - laptop or desktop or server, it doesn't matter which you own.
When you search by the model number you'll get many hits returned - ignore
all of them except THE VERY FIRST ONE. Click on that link and it will take
you directly to your IBM model's support and download page.

It works every time on every model.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm