Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
Hard Drive.

Here is the story, Folks.

1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.

2. Rebooted.

3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.

4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
because of the errors.

5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.

6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".

At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.

Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.

I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
corrupted and unreadable".

Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.

Thank you,
James
12 answers Last reply
More about missing ntldr tried everything help

    Maybe the hard drive has simply failed? Try cloning the disk to a new
    drive, like the other poster said. Then, boot up with a floppy or CD ROM
    based utility from WD, Seagate, or Maxtor and test the drive.

    "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
    > The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
    > Hard Drive.
    >
    > Here is the story, Folks.
    >
    > 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
    >
    > 2. Rebooted.
    >
    > 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    > damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    >
    > 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
    > bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
    > that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
    > because of the errors.
    >
    > 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    >
    > 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    >

    > At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
    > both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
    > console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
    >
    > Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
    >
    > I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
    > another
    > Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
    > the
    > drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
    > corrupted and unreadable".
    >

    > Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
    > need
    > access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > James

    If you slaved that drive in another pc, and can't see
    the files, then you are almost required to do a binary
    recovery of the drive. That takes special tools, and a
    long time. I've had some luck doing a brute force
    reinstall of XP right over the corrupt system, but that
    is a chancy stunt. Whatever you do, don't go borrow
    somebodys Norton Disk Dr. That will be the end of it
    for sure. Another stunt I've pulled is to slave that disk
    to a new blank disk, and Ghost it to the new disk ..
    I use PowerQuest Disk Image 2002, since it will do
    a file check and a disk error check. Also, swap out
    your data cable. Sometimes you get bad reads of new
    data coming off the cdrom if it has a bad cable. That
    can look like a bad hard drive, and the Install CD will
    screw up too. Also, I've had some luck running chkdsk
    several times.

    johns

    "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:

    >Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it
    >that I need access to ASAP.

    I think those are mutually exclusive terms. If the disk has critical
    information on it, that information should be backed up, preferably
    to removable media. Sounds to me like you are asking for trouble. In
    my opinion, the first thing to do in this situation is stop trying
    to fix Windows, instead clone your disk and keep the image in a safe
    place. After that, you can try whatever you wish. Good luck.

    Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command
    prompt option in the menu that you are presented with

    At the command prompt, type in the following:

    copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

    where d is the letter of your cd drive

    press enter

    Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer
    "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
    > The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack
    1, NTFS
    > Hard Drive.
    >
    > Here is the story, Folks.
    >
    > 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows
    Update.

    > 2. Rebooted.
    >
    > 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing
    or
    > damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    >
    > 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to
    do a
    > bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message
    saying
    > that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
    rebuild
    > because of the errors.
    >
    > 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    >
    > 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    >

    > At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have
    copied
    > both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the
    recovery
    > console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery
    console.

    > Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
    >
    > I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
    another
    > Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files
    off of the
    > drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or
    directory is
    > corrupted and unreadable".
    >

    > Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that
    I need
    > access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if
    possible.

    > Thank you,
    > James

    as was mentioned by another poster Big D...memory errors and bad CD/
    CD-ROMs cause this also.

    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command
    > prompt option in the menu that you are presented with
    >
    > At the command prompt, type in the following:
    >
    > copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v
    >
    > where d is the letter of your cd drive
    >
    > press enter
    >
    > Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer
    > "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
    > > The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack
    > 1, NTFS
    > > Hard Drive.
    > >
    > > Here is the story, Folks.
    > >
    > > 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows
    > Update.
    > >
    > > 2. Rebooted.
    > >
    > > 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe"
    Missing
    > or
    > > damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    > >
    > > 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to
    > do a
    > > bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a
    message
    > saying
    > > that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
    > rebuild
    > > because of the errors.
    > >
    > > 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    > >
    > > 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    > >

    > > At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have
    > copied
    > > both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the
    > recovery
    > > console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery
    > console.
    > >
    > > Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR
    error.

    > > I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it
    in
    > another
    > > Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files
    > off of the
    > > drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or
    > directory is
    > > corrupted and unreadable".
    > >

    > > Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it
    that
    > I need
    > > access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if
    > possible.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > James

    NTLDR missing is generated by a virus. Sorry that I cannot remember which
    one. Type it in to the symantec site search for a removal tool. Run the
    tool, save all critical stuff, format all drives, then do a fresh install.
    Recommend you go to hard drive manf. site to get thier disk tools to format
    properly.

    James wrote:
    > The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
    > Hard Drive.
    >
    > Here is the story, Folks.
    >
    > 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
    >
    > 2. Rebooted.
    >
    > 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    > damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    >
    > 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
    > bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
    > that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
    > because of the errors.
    >
    > 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    >
    > 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    >

    > At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
    > both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
    > console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
    >
    > Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
    >
    > I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
    > Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
    > drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
    > corrupted and unreadable".
    >

    > Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
    > access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > James

    Sounds like you're going to need to reinstall XP. Do not go into the
    repair console, but instead proceed as if you were going to do a clean
    installation (obviously the drive is not clean, nor should it be). XP's
    installation process will detect that there's a previous installation of
    XP and will ask you if you want to resintall the operating system. You
    do NOT want to reformat anything or repartition anything, just in case
    things don't go entirely well. That is assuming that it isn't completely
    buggered from mucking about with the recovery console. As others have
    posted, make a drive image of this drive before you mess with it any
    further, and next time implement a backup strategy BEFORE problems occur.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    James,

    Another poster mentioned that bad CD-ROMs cause this message, which got me
    to remembering that a computer I was fixing about a month ago displayed the
    same message. After I fixed it, by doing pretty much nothing, his CD-ROM
    failed about a month later.

    Dave

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:10:57 -0500, "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:

    >The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
    >Hard Drive.
    >
    >Here is the story, Folks.
    >
    >1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
    >
    >2. Rebooted.
    >
    >3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    >damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    >
    >4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
    >bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
    >that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
    >because of the errors.
    >
    >5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    >
    >6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    >

    >At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
    >both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
    >console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
    >
    >Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
    >
    >I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
    >Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
    >drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
    >corrupted and unreadable".
    >

    >Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
    >access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
    >
    >Thank you,
    >James

    It might be better to post you problem to the micro$oft group.
    Some of the MVP's might have some advise.
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers

    This link might help with the NTLDR error.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397
    Cheers

    eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
    Version 7.0.5.3
    Engine Version 11.7.0
    ©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
    Update Version 8822
    Update Date Dec 23 2004

    I had a similar problem in an old computer "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    or damaged". To make the story short, I had to clean the memory
    contacts and slots. The computer behave normally without reinstalling
    XP. Hope this help.

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:51:20 +1000, yogi <yogi@yellowstone.np> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:10:57 -0500, "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:
    >
    >>The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
    >>Hard Drive.
    >>
    >>Here is the story, Folks.
    >>
    >>1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
    >>
    >>2. Rebooted.
    >>
    >>3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    >>damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
    >>
    >>4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
    >>bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
    >>that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
    >>because of the errors.
    >>
    >>5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
    >>
    >>6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
    >>

    >>At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
    >>both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
    >>console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
    >>
    >>Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
    >>
    >>I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
    >>Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
    >>drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
    >>corrupted and unreadable".
    >>

    >>Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
    >>access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
    >>
    >>Thank you,
    >>James
    >>
    >It might be better to post you problem to the micro$oft group.
    >Some of the MVP's might have some advise.
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    >
    >This link might help with the NTLDR error.
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397
    >Cheers
    >

    >eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
    >Version 7.0.5.3
    >Engine Version 11.7.0
    >©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
    >Update Version 8822
    >Update Date Dec 23 2004

    Take the bloody floppy out of the drive.

    --
    ]v[etaphoid
    - Proud owner of Spudley's online ass since 2004...

    "Stillwater" <brewingNOisSPAMloving@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > James,
    >
    > Another poster mentioned that bad CD-ROMs cause this message, which
    > got me to remembering that a computer I was fixing about a month ago
    > displayed the same message. After I fixed it, by doing pretty much
    > nothing, his CD-ROM failed about a month later.

    A friend of mine had that error on a new home-built system and called me up
    in a bit of a panic. I told him to press the eject button on the floppy
    drive. The disk popped out, he rebooted and the error was gone. =) I assume
    this isn't the same problem, but maybe a dying floppy drive could also
    cause the error if the drive thinks there's a disk inside. I think I'd
    unplug all drives except the HD with the OS on it or go to the BIOS
    settings and make sure that drive is tried first and see what happens.

Homebuilt Ntldr Windows XP Systems