Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2005 12:10:57 AM

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
Hard Drive.

Here is the story, Folks.

1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.

2. Rebooted.

3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.

4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
because of the errors.

5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.

6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".

At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.

Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.

I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
corrupted and unreadable".

Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.

Thank you,
James

More about : missing ntldr win pro

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 2:54:30 AM

Maybe the hard drive has simply failed? Try cloning the disk to a new
drive, like the other poster said. Then, boot up with a floppy or CD ROM
based utility from WD, Seagate, or Maxtor and test the drive.

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
> another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
> the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
> need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> James

January 12, 2005 3:22:34 AM

If you slaved that drive in another pc, and can't see
the files, then you are almost required to do a binary
recovery of the drive. That takes special tools, and a
long time. I've had some luck doing a brute force
reinstall of XP right over the corrupt system, but that
is a chancy stunt. Whatever you do, don't go borrow
somebodys Norton Disk Dr. That will be the end of it
for sure. Another stunt I've pulled is to slave that disk
to a new blank disk, and Ghost it to the new disk ..
I use PowerQuest Disk Image 2002, since it will do
a file check and a disk error check. Also, swap out
your data cable. Sometimes you get bad reads of new
data coming off the cdrom if it has a bad cable. That
can look like a bad hard drive, and the Install CD will
screw up too. Also, I've had some luck running chkdsk
several times.

johns
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 9:28:03 AM

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:

>Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it
>that I need access to ASAP.

I think those are mutually exclusive terms. If the disk has critical
information on it, that information should be backed up, preferably
to removable media. Sounds to me like you are asking for trouble. In
my opinion, the first thing to do in this situation is stop trying
to fix Windows, instead clone your disk and keep the image in a safe
place. After that, you can try whatever you wish. Good luck.
January 12, 2005 11:07:29 AM

Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command
prompt option in the menu that you are presented with

At the command prompt, type in the following:

copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

where d is the letter of your cd drive

press enter

Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer
"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack
1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows
Update.

> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing
or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to
do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message
saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have
copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the
recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery
console.

> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files
off of the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or
directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that
I need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if
possible.

> Thank you,
> James

January 12, 2005 1:24:24 PM

as was mentioned by another poster Big D...memory errors and bad CD/
CD-ROMs cause this also.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command
> prompt option in the menu that you are presented with
>
> At the command prompt, type in the following:
>
> copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v
>
> where d is the letter of your cd drive
>
> press enter
>
> Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer
> "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> > The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack
> 1, NTFS
> > Hard Drive.
> >
> > Here is the story, Folks.
> >
> > 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows
> Update.
> >
> > 2. Rebooted.
> >
> > 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe"
Missing
> or
> > damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
> >
> > 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to
> do a
> > bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a
message
> saying
> > that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
> rebuild
> > because of the errors.
> >
> > 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
> >
> > 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
> >

> > At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have
> copied
> > both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the
> recovery
> > console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery
> console.
> >
> > Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR
error.

> > I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it
in
> another
> > Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files
> off of the
> > drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or
> directory is
> > corrupted and unreadable".
> >

> > Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it
that
> I need
> > access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if
> possible.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > James

January 12, 2005 2:20:14 PM

NTLDR missing is generated by a virus. Sorry that I cannot remember which
one. Type it in to the symantec site search for a removal tool. Run the
tool, save all critical stuff, format all drives, then do a fresh install.
Recommend you go to hard drive manf. site to get thier disk tools to format
properly.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 7:26:09 PM

James wrote:
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> James

Sounds like you're going to need to reinstall XP. Do not go into the
repair console, but instead proceed as if you were going to do a clean
installation (obviously the drive is not clean, nor should it be). XP's
installation process will detect that there's a previous installation of
XP and will ask you if you want to resintall the operating system. You
do NOT want to reformat anything or repartition anything, just in case
things don't go entirely well. That is assuming that it isn't completely
buggered from mucking about with the recovery console. As others have
posted, make a drive image of this drive before you mess with it any
further, and next time implement a backup strategy BEFORE problems occur.

Cheers,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2005 7:51:59 PM

James,

Another poster mentioned that bad CD-ROMs cause this message, which got me
to remembering that a computer I was fixing about a month ago displayed the
same message. After I fixed it, by doing pretty much nothing, his CD-ROM
failed about a month later.

Dave
January 13, 2005 1:51:20 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:10:57 -0500, "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:

>The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
>Hard Drive.
>
>Here is the story, Folks.
>
>1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
>2. Rebooted.
>
>3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
>damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
>4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
>bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
>that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
>because of the errors.
>
>5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
>6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

>At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
>both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
>console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
>Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
>I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
>Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
>drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
>corrupted and unreadable".
>

>Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
>access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
>Thank you,
>James

It might be better to post you problem to the micro$oft group.
Some of the MVP's might have some advise.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers

This link might help with the NTLDR error.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397
Cheers

eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
Version 7.0.5.3
Engine Version 11.7.0
©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
Update Version 8822
Update Date Dec 23 2004
January 13, 2005 1:51:21 AM

I had a similar problem in an old computer "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
or damaged". To make the story short, I had to clean the memory
contacts and slots. The computer behave normally without reinstalling
XP. Hope this help.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:51:20 +1000, yogi <yogi@yellowstone.np> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:10:57 -0500, "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:
>
>>The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
>>Hard Drive.
>>
>>Here is the story, Folks.
>>
>>1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>>
>>2. Rebooted.
>>
>>3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
>>damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>>
>>4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
>>bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
>>that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
>>because of the errors.
>>
>>5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>>
>>6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>>

>>At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
>>both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
>>console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>>
>>Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>>
>>I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
>>Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
>>drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
>>corrupted and unreadable".
>>

>>Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
>>access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>>
>>Thank you,
>>James
>>
>It might be better to post you problem to the micro$oft group.
>Some of the MVP's might have some advise.
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
>
>This link might help with the NTLDR error.
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320397
>Cheers
>

>eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
>Version 7.0.5.3
>Engine Version 11.7.0
>©2004 Computer Associates International, Inc
>Update Version 8822
>Update Date Dec 23 2004
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2005 2:29:57 AM

Take the bloody floppy out of the drive.

--
]v[etaphoid
- Proud owner of Spudley's online ass since 2004...

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> James
January 13, 2005 4:46:34 AM

"Stillwater" <brewingNOisSPAMloving@hotmail.com> wrote:

> James,
>
> Another poster mentioned that bad CD-ROMs cause this message, which
> got me to remembering that a computer I was fixing about a month ago
> displayed the same message. After I fixed it, by doing pretty much
> nothing, his CD-ROM failed about a month later.

A friend of mine had that error on a new home-built system and called me up
in a bit of a panic. I told him to press the eject button on the floppy
drive. The disk popped out, he rebooted and the error was gone. =) I assume
this isn't the same problem, but maybe a dying floppy drive could also
cause the error if the drive thinks there's a disk inside. I think I'd
unplug all drives except the HD with the OS on it or go to the BIOS
settings and make sure that drive is tried first and see what happens.
!