  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2005 10:08:15 AM

Hello,

A friend of mine brought two of their PC's over last night for me to fix and
reinstall their operating systems. I unplugged the power cord, keyboard,
mouse and monitor from my PC to their first one. It booted up and I started
the reinstall process. I came back into the room and accidentally jostled
the PC and it basically reset itself but did not boot up again. I powered it
off and back on and you hear the two hard drives power up, the fans come on
and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it never gives the BIOS beep and
starts the boot process.

So, I decided to fix their 2nd one. It worked like a charm and is ready to
go. I needed something off my own PC, so I hooked it back up and for some
very odd reason, it is acting just like the first PC; the two hard drives
power up, the fans come on and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it never
gives the BIOS beep and starts the boot process. So, now my main PC at home
is dead.

What could cause this to my PC when it wasn't even on when I jostled the
first one. They were on the same table but my PC had no power to it
whatsoever.

The only thing in common I could see is that the 1st PC and my PC both have
AGP video cards whereas the 2nd one only had an onboard video card. What in
the world could cause my PC to not boot? I removed my AGP video card and
then put it back in with no luck.

And what suggestions do you have? Should I remove and reseat all of the
cards? Bottom line, the mystery is why my main PC would act like the first
one now.

Thanks in advance!
Brian

More about : boot mystery needed

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2005 1:13:58 AM

Got a spare keyboard to try?

"Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine brought two of their PC's over last night for me to fix
and
> reinstall their operating systems. I unplugged the power cord, keyboard,
> mouse and monitor from my PC to their first one. It booted up and I
started
> the reinstall process. I came back into the room and accidentally jostled
> the PC and it basically reset itself but did not boot up again. I powered
it
> off and back on and you hear the two hard drives power up, the fans come
on
> and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it never gives the BIOS beep and
> starts the boot process.
>
> So, I decided to fix their 2nd one. It worked like a charm and is ready to
> go. I needed something off my own PC, so I hooked it back up and for some
> very odd reason, it is acting just like the first PC; the two hard drives
> power up, the fans come on and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it never
> gives the BIOS beep and starts the boot process. So, now my main PC at
home
> is dead.
>
> What could cause this to my PC when it wasn't even on when I jostled the
> first one. They were on the same table but my PC had no power to it
> whatsoever.
>
> The only thing in common I could see is that the 1st PC and my PC both
have
> AGP video cards whereas the 2nd one only had an onboard video card. What
in
> the world could cause my PC to not boot? I removed my AGP video card and
> then put it back in with no luck.
>
> And what suggestions do you have? Should I remove and reseat all of the
> cards? Bottom line, the mystery is why my main PC would act like the first
> one now.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Brian

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2005 1:13:59 AM

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got a spare keyboard to try?
>

> "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > A friend of mine brought two of their PC's over last night for me to fix
> and
> > reinstall their operating systems. I unplugged the power cord, keyboard,
> > mouse and monitor from my PC to their first one. It booted up and I
> started
> > the reinstall process. I came back into the room and accidentally
jostled
> > the PC and it basically reset itself but did not boot up again. I
powered
> it
> > off and back on and you hear the two hard drives power up, the fans come
> on
> > and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it never gives the BIOS beep and
> > starts the boot process.
> >
> > So, I decided to fix their 2nd one. It worked like a charm and is ready
> > go. I needed something off my own PC, so I hooked it back up and for
some
> > very odd reason, it is acting just like the first PC; the two hard
drives
> > power up, the fans come on and the CD-ROM getting it's power but it
never
> > gives the BIOS beep and starts the boot process. So, now my main PC at
> home
> > is dead.
> >
> > What could cause this to my PC when it wasn't even on when I jostled the
> > first one. They were on the same table but my PC had no power to it
> > whatsoever.
> >
> > The only thing in common I could see is that the 1st PC and my PC both
> have
> > AGP video cards whereas the 2nd one only had an onboard video card. What
> in
> > the world could cause my PC to not boot? I removed my AGP video card and
> > then put it back in with no luck.
> >
> > And what suggestions do you have? Should I remove and reseat all of the
> > cards? Bottom line, the mystery is why my main PC would act like the
first
> > one now.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Brian

Are you using the same monitor>keyboard>mouse>kvm or power
cord>strip>outlet>circuit?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2005 5:15:53 AM

I think your friends PC had a virus and it was infectious and your pc caught
it.
!