KB891711?

Why is MS still showing 891711 on the ME update site? Given all of the
problems users have encountered, one would think they would have
withdrawn this update until they've fixed it.
20 answers Last reply
More about kb891711

    Whilst it would be helpful if the hotfix included a warning and remind
    users of the benefits of system restore if they have problems, you seem to
    forget that for many many people the KB891711 hotfix is causing them no
    problems whatsoever.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:

    > Why is MS still showing 891711 on the ME update site? Given all of the
    > problems users have encountered, one would think they would have
    > withdrawn this update until they've fixed it.

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:11:31 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >Whilst it would be helpful if the hotfix included a warning and remind
    >users of the benefits of system restore if they have problems, you seem to
    >forget that for many many people the KB891711 hotfix is causing them no
    >problems whatsoever.
    >--
    >Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.

    In article <425ae4f9.5400155@msnews.microsoft.com>, E. Barry Bruyea says...

    > Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.

    Well, Kb891711 doesn't work on one of my computers, but it does on the
    other. It has not caused any fatal problems, however. I never needed to use
    System Restore on the computer which breaks; uninstalling from the Control
    Panel set my computer right.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:

    > Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.

    Troublesome yes but hardly fatal when all that is required to fix the
    problem is to boot to Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in MSConfig
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Today's rerelease of KB891711 :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891711

    " April 12, 2005:
    • Security update 891711 Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Windows
    98 Second Edition, and Windows 98 packages were re-released on *** April
    12, 2005 ***.
    • When you install the security update 891711 original packages on a
    computer that is running Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 Second
    Edition, or Windows 98, the computer may stop responding. This issue has
    been corrected in the *** April 12, 2005 ***, release.
    • The April 12, 2005, release runs as a system service on Windows
    Millennium Edition, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows 98. The Close
    Program dialog box does not list Kb891711.exe. "

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]

    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    "E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:11:31 +0100, "Mike M"
    > <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
    >
    > >Whilst it would be helpful if the hotfix included a warning and remind
    > >users of the benefits of system restore if they have problems, you seem
    > >forget that for many many people the KB891711 hotfix is causing them no
    > >problems whatsoever.
    > >--
    > >Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > >mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    > Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.

    Boy oh boy, we're really getting technical, aren't we?
    My question would be, why is it "fatal" for some and not for so many others,
    including me?
    With WinMe I didn't have any problems whatsoever and I am sure glad, but
    what caused the problem in itself?
    It would be interesting to know.

    Harry.

    Mike M wrote:
    > E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
    >
    >> Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.
    >
    > Troublesome yes but hardly fatal when all that is required to fix the
    > problem is to boot to Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in
    > MSConfig | Startup.

    Mike,
    I believe what EBB was referring to was fatal as in "black screen of
    death", which is what I get when I click on an HTML link after
    installing KB891711. Yes, rebooting into safe mode and disabling the
    update is possible, but then what's the point in having it installed if
    it doesn't work (at least for me)?

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:58:06 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Just like the Drug Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others.
    >
    >Troublesome yes but hardly fatal when all that is required to fix the
    >problem is to boot to Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in MSConfig
    >| Startup.
    >--
    >Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Lighten up a little, Mike.

    E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:

    >> Troublesome yes but hardly fatal when all that is required to fix the
    >> problem is to boot to Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in
    >> MSConfig
    >> Startup.

    > Lighten up a little, Mike.

    Try reading my post again. What's the problem with it or do facts hurt
    you? From your posting it would appear that it's you who has a problem and
    I'm tempted to advise you to seek professional help.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    And your point is?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M wrote:
    > And your point is?

    Exactly what I said, I suppose.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

    ....not to top post!

    > And your point is?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > I believe what EBB was referring to was fatal as in "black screen
    > > of death", which is what I get when I click on an HTML link after
    > > installing KB891711. Yes, rebooting into safe mode and disabling the
    > > update is possible, but then what's the point in having it installed
    > > if it doesn't work (at least for me)?

    Top posting is relevant when providing answers in a tech help group.

    Rick T

    Nomad wrote:
    > ...not to top post!
    >
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >
    >>And your point is?
    >>--
    >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >>mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >>

    >>John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I believe what EBB was referring to was fatal as in "black screen
    >>>of death", which is what I get when I click on an HTML link after
    >>>installing KB891711. Yes, rebooting into safe mode and disabling the
    >>>update is possible, but then what's the point in having it installed
    >>>if it doesn't work (at least for me)?

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:24:49 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:
    >
    >>> Troublesome yes but hardly fatal when all that is required to fix the
    >>> problem is to boot to Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in
    >>> MSConfig
    >>> Startup.
    >
    >> Lighten up a little, Mike.
    >
    >Try reading my post again. What's the problem with it or do facts hurt
    >you? From your posting it would appear that it's you who has a problem and
    >I'm tempted to advise you to seek professional help.
    >--
    >Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >mike.maltby@gmail.com

    You're a really sharp guy, Mike, and you've helped a lot of people in
    this group and it's appreciated, I'm sure, but give up on the
    tight-ass approach, as it kind of spoils the charitable effect.

    E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:

    > You're a really sharp guy, Mike, and you've helped a lot of people in
    > this group and it's appreciated, I'm sure, but give up on the
    > tight-ass approach, as it kind of spoils the charitable effect.

    Look at your post in this thread where you said "Just like the Drug
    Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others". Do you honestly think that
    the problems experienced by some of those who installed the original
    891711 patch could even with the greatest stretch of the imagination be
    compared with the problems caused by a drug company? Apparently you do
    but then don't be surprised if someone then tells you that you have a
    problem even if only one of exaggeration.
    --
    Mike M

    Why would it be "accepted" then, _not_ to TP in any other NG except this
    one? Techies are (very much needed but) strange, but must we/they be
    obviously so...doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
    --
    Nomad

    > Top posting is relevant when providing answers in a tech help group.
    >

    > Rick T
    >

    > Nomad wrote:
    > > ...not to top post!
    > >
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>And your point is?
    > >>--
    > >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Nomad wrote:
    > Why would it be "accepted" then, _not_ to TP in any other NG except this
    > one? Techies are (very much needed but) strange, but must we/they be
    > obviously so...doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

    I've got a (mildly boring) thesis on top-posting sitting around
    somewhere if you want to hear it. Since I'm just putting first coffee
    on I"m not too intelligible right now, but basically...um...too early in
    the morning....hang on a few minutes

    > --
    > Nomad
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Top posting is relevant when providing answers in a tech help group.
    >>

    >>Rick T
    >>

    >>Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >>>...not to top post!
    >>>
    >>>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:40:31 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:
    >
    >> You're a really sharp guy, Mike, and you've helped a lot of people in
    >> this group and it's appreciated, I'm sure, but give up on the
    >> tight-ass approach, as it kind of spoils the charitable effect.
    >
    >Look at your post in this thread where you said "Just like the Drug
    >Companies, eh? Fatal to some, OK for others". Do you honestly think that
    >the problems experienced by some of those who installed the original
    >891711 patch could even with the greatest stretch of the imagination be
    >compared with the problems caused by a drug company? Apparently you do
    >but then don't be surprised if someone then tells you that you have a
    >problem even if only one of exaggeration.
    >--
    >Mike M

    You have two problems, Mike; a distinct lack of a sense of humour
    (hyperbole is often used in humour, so I thought I'd mention that) and
    an ego that seems to need constant feeding.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:

    > You have two problems, Mike; a distinct lack of a sense of humour
    > (hyperbole is often used in humour, so I thought I'd mention that) and
    > an ego that seems to need constant feeding.

    My problems are trivial when compared to yours. You don't just have no
    sense of humour but seemingly little or no sense at all.

    PLONK
    --
    Mike M
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:02:27 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >E. Barry Bruyea <coldin@winter.org> wrote:
    >
    >> You have two problems, Mike; a distinct lack of a sense of humour
    >> (hyperbole is often used in humour, so I thought I'd mention that) and
    >> an ego that seems to need constant feeding.
    >
    >My problems are trivial when compared to yours. You don't just have no
    >sense of humour but seemingly little or no sense at all.
    >
    >PLONK
    >--
    >Mike M

    Well, at least my English is a few steps up from yours, and your
    counter charge regarding my sense of humour is pretty lame, even for
    you.

Microsoft Windows