Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Update Woe

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 4:21:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet (More info?)

Hi all

A recent problem resulted in me reinstalling Windows ME on my machine over
my existing version (getting around the problem of the fact that I had Media
Player 9 and IE6 SP1)

Windows update tells me I dont have any more patches I need but the Belarc
advisor shows some updates that are missing or need to be reinstalled.
Unfortunately some of these patches can only be obtained from Windows update
and those that do have separate downloads wont install because they tell me
I dont have IE6 SP1 installed despite having reinstalled it (my IE5 files
are damaged and I cant restore that version to start from scratch)

Two of the updates identified by Belarc as needing to be reinstalled are for
media player but they wont install because they appear to be for an earlier
version of media player (the update function in media player 9 doesnt show
any updates required)

I have tried using the catalog function of Windiws Update to get the needed
patches but the download button is greyed out (presumably because it thinks
they are already installed)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinstall patches that Windows
update thinks I already have?

Thanks

More about : windows update woe

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 5:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet (More info?)

> I have tried using the catalog function of Windiws Update to get the
> needed patches but the download button is greyed out (presumably
> because it thinks they are already installed)

The Windows Update Catalogue makes no test as to what may or may not be
installed nor does it check the operating system you are using, for
example you can download patches for Win Me from the Windows Update
Catalogue when using XP and vice versa. I would suggest you try again as
something seems to be wrong in what you are seeing.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinstall patches that
> Windows update thinks I already have?

Download them from the Windows Update Catalogue.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Ash Ridley <aridley@deletethis.corrado.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A recent problem resulted in me reinstalling Windows ME on my machine
> over my existing version (getting around the problem of the fact that
> I had Media Player 9 and IE6 SP1)
>
> Windows update tells me I dont have any more patches I need but the
> Belarc advisor shows some updates that are missing or need to be
> reinstalled. Unfortunately some of these patches can only be obtained
> from Windows update and those that do have separate downloads wont
> install because they tell me I dont have IE6 SP1 installed despite
> having reinstalled it (my IE5 files are damaged and I cant restore
> that version to start from scratch)
>
> Two of the updates identified by Belarc as needing to be reinstalled
> are for media player but they wont install because they appear to be
> for an earlier version of media player (the update function in media
> player 9 doesnt show any updates required)
>
> I have tried using the catalog function of Windiws Update to get the
> needed patches but the download button is greyed out (presumably
> because it thinks they are already installed)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinstall patches that
> Windows update thinks I already have?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:47:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet (More info?)

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the 'Download Now' button is still
greyed out on the Download Basket page of Windows Update Catalog


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:uL3AZ7oPFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > I have tried using the catalog function of Windiws Update to get the
> > needed patches but the download button is greyed out (presumably
> > because it thinks they are already installed)
>
> The Windows Update Catalogue makes no test as to what may or may not be
> installed nor does it check the operating system you are using, for
> example you can download patches for Win Me from the Windows Update
> Catalogue when using XP and vice versa. I would suggest you try again as
> something seems to be wrong in what you are seeing.
>
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinstall patches that
> > Windows update thinks I already have?
>
> Download them from the Windows Update Catalogue.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Ash Ridley <aridley@deletethis.corrado.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > A recent problem resulted in me reinstalling Windows ME on my machine
> > over my existing version (getting around the problem of the fact that
> > I had Media Player 9 and IE6 SP1)
> >
> > Windows update tells me I dont have any more patches I need but the
> > Belarc advisor shows some updates that are missing or need to be
> > reinstalled. Unfortunately some of these patches can only be obtained
> > from Windows update and those that do have separate downloads wont
> > install because they tell me I dont have IE6 SP1 installed despite
> > having reinstalled it (my IE5 files are damaged and I cant restore
> > that version to start from scratch)
> >
> > Two of the updates identified by Belarc as needing to be reinstalled
> > are for media player but they wont install because they appear to be
> > for an earlier version of media player (the update function in media
> > player 9 doesnt show any updates required)
> >
> > I have tried using the catalog function of Windiws Update to get the
> > needed patches but the download button is greyed out (presumably
> > because it thinks they are already installed)
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinstall patches that
> > Windows update thinks I already have?
> >
> > Thanks
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:17:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet (More info?)

Ash Ridley <ash.ridley@deletethis.ash-ridley.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the 'Download Now' button is still
> greyed out on the Download Basket page of Windows Update Catalog

That suggests you may have put nothing in the download basket.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com
!