Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BIOS Utility

Tags:
  • BIOS
  • Floppy Disk
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 12, 2005 2:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
up from a floppy disk.

Thanks

More about : bios utility

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:31:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Win Me has no bios utility, this is a function of your motherboard and the
bios is accessed when booting your PC and before the operating system is
loaded.

The specific key sequence used to access the bios is dependent upon the
BIOS vendor and/or PC manufacturer. In addition to DEL mentioned by Alias
some other combinations include ....
F1
F2
and less often,
Ctrl + Alt + Esc
Ctrl + Alt + Ins
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
> up from a floppy disk.
>
> Thanks
April 12, 2005 11:20:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Try the del key before the Windows Me logo appears when booting up. If that
doesn't work, look for Set Up while booting up and see if it has an F key
next to it and, if it does, use it.

Alias
"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
> up from a floppy disk.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:41:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Have a look here
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm



"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:061101c53f81$dc921760$a601280a@phx.gbl...
Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
up from a floppy disk.

Thanks
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:55:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:18 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote:

>Try the del key before the Windows Me logo appears when booting up. If that
>doesn't work, look for Set Up while booting up and see if it has an F key
>next to it and, if it does, use it.
>
>Alias
>"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
>> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
>> up from a floppy disk.
>>
>> Thanks

If you happen to be using a fairly new Microsoft Natural Multimedia
Keyboard, make sure you press the "F-Lock" key and then the "F-2" when
the computer boots, otherwise the F-2 key doesn't work. Unfortunetly,
MS did not put this litte tidbit in the manual for the keyboard.

>
>
April 13, 2005 4:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
news:425ce906.2399396@msnews.microsoft.com...
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:18 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote:
>
>>Try the del key before the Windows Me logo appears when booting up. If
>>that
>>doesn't work, look for Set Up while booting up and see if it has an F key
>>next to it and, if it does, use it.
>>
>>Alias
>>"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
>>> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
>>> up from a floppy disk.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
> If you happen to be using a fairly new Microsoft Natural Multimedia
> Keyboard, make sure you press the "F-Lock" key and then the "F-2" when
> the computer boots, otherwise the F-2 key doesn't work. Unfortunetly,
> MS did not put this litte tidbit in the manual for the keyboard.
>

You surprise me. On mine the evidence suggests that the hitting the F-Lock
key is unnecessary prior to Windows loading (or at least beginning to load -
I don't recall whether I need to press F-Lock when booting Real Mode DOS
Step-by-step Startup, ie before pressing Shift + F8).

My Award BIOS has the facility to select Boot Device on-the-fly by hitting
F9. I do not need to hit F-Lock before F9 during the BIOS phase to access
this, so wouldn't have expected the F2 example above to require it.

Once Windows loads then, yes, it definately requires F-Lock first and I'd
have far preferred that the F keys were enabled rather than disabled by
default! It's on a par with Win XP not having Boot Up Numlock on by default
and having to dl a 3rd party script to do so! And a numlock light on the
keyboard in question would have been appreciated.


Shane
April 13, 2005 4:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
news:425ce906.2399396@msnews.microsoft.com...
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:18 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote:
>
>>Try the del key before the Windows Me logo appears when booting up. If
>>that
>>doesn't work, look for Set Up while booting up and see if it has an F key
>>next to it and, if it does, use it.
>>
>>Alias
>>"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
>>> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
>>> up from a floppy disk.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
> If you happen to be using a fairly new Microsoft Natural Multimedia
> Keyboard, make sure you press the "F-Lock" key and then the "F-2" when
> the computer boots, otherwise the F-2 key doesn't work. Unfortunetly,
> MS did not put this litte tidbit in the manual for the keyboard.

Same thing's true with my Logitech Access keyboard. Not a feature I am too
crazy about.

Alias
>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have a numlock light on my keyboard Shane, using a Microsoft
Multimedia one, there's one for capslock and Flock as well.
Oh and yes my numlock is on by default when I boot and I don't remember
doing anything special apart from it's always on when I close down <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
It's on a par with Win XP not having Boot Up Numlock on by default
> and having to dl a 3rd party script to do so! And a numlock light on the
> keyboard in question would have been appreciated.
>
>
> Shane
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Shane & Joan,

Numlock (on/off) at boot-up is "usually" a BIOS option rather than an OS
option.

Mart


"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23ng1DACQFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have a numlock light on my keyboard Shane, using a Microsoft Multimedia
>one, there's one for capslock and Flock as well.
> Oh and yes my numlock is on by default when I boot and I don't remember
> doing anything special apart from it's always on when I close down <g>
> Joan
>
> Shane wrote:
> It's on a par with Win XP not having Boot Up Numlock on by default
>> and having to dl a 3rd party script to do so! And a numlock light on the
>> keyboard in question would have been appreciated.
>>
>>
>> Shane
>>
>>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:33:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Ooops ....

I should have read the whole of the thread - Shane was referring to XP

In a WinMe NG??? - Well, that's my excuse <g>

Mart


"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:e0ptxwCQFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Shane & Joan,
>
> Numlock (on/off) at boot-up is "usually" a BIOS option rather than an OS
> option.
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23ng1DACQFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>I have a numlock light on my keyboard Shane, using a Microsoft Multimedia
>>one, there's one for capslock and Flock as well.
>> Oh and yes my numlock is on by default when I boot and I don't remember
>> doing anything special apart from it's always on when I close down <g>
>> Joan
>>
>> Shane wrote:
>> It's on a par with Win XP not having Boot Up Numlock on by default
>>> and having to dl a 3rd party script to do so! And a numlock light on the
>>> keyboard in question would have been appreciated.
>>>
>>>
>>> Shane
>>>
>>>
>
April 13, 2005 7:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

>I have a numlock light on my keyboard Shane, using a Microsoft Multimedia
>one, there's one for capslock and Flock as well.

Trust you to bring sheep into it Joan!

> Oh and yes my numlock is on by default when I boot and I don't remember
> doing anything special apart from it's always on when I close down <g>

Yes, well you only need to run the script once (by Doug Knox). Are you sure
you didn't run it in the early days?


Shane
April 13, 2005 7:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<g>

And, of course, in NT4.0 it'll restart in whatever state one shuts down in,
in which case (imo) XP took a step backwards.


Shane


"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:uhRqZ1CQFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Ooops ....
>
> I should have read the whole of the thread - Shane was referring to XP
>
> In a WinMe NG??? - Well, that's my excuse <g>
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:e0ptxwCQFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Shane & Joan,
>>
>> Numlock (on/off) at boot-up is "usually" a BIOS option rather than an OS
>> option.
>>
>> Mart
>>
>>
>> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23ng1DACQFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I have a numlock light on my keyboard Shane, using a Microsoft Multimedia
>>>one, there's one for capslock and Flock as well.
>>> Oh and yes my numlock is on by default when I boot and I don't remember
>>> doing anything special apart from it's always on when I close down <g>
>>> Joan
>>>
>>> Shane wrote:
>>> It's on a par with Win XP not having Boot Up Numlock on by default
>>>> and having to dl a 3rd party script to do so! And a numlock light on
>>>> the keyboard in question would have been appreciated.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Shane
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:33:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

the BIOS is not part of Windows. When you first start the PC you have to
press the correct key (whatever it is - see below) before Windows starts to
load. It will go to the BIOS settings, and from there you go to the screen
that allows you to change the boot device order.

Use whatever the motherboard manual tells you to use. Commonly, it might be
DEL, TAB, ESC etc (try these) or it could be a Function key (F1, F2...etc).


"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:061101c53f81$dc921760$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to access the BIOS Utility
> function in Windows ME so that I can tell the PC to boot
> up from a floppy disk.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:43:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
Don't start that again <vbg>
As for the script, I far as I know I have never run it on here, the only
time I've been in the BIOS on this machine was when I first got it and
was sorting out the OS that came with it and changing the boot order so
I could clean install my own copy.
Joan

Shane wrote:

>
> Trust you to bring sheep into it Joan!

> Yes, well you only need to run the script once (by Doug Knox). Are you sure
> you didn't run it in the early days?
>
>
> Shane
>
>
April 14, 2005 2:58:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Funny, isn't it? I thought I ought to point out that it runs from Windows.
And yet that brings to mind the picture of a sheep, running as one climbs
the 5 bar gate into it's field. It's probably fair to say that sheep would
run from their own shadows, but I wonder if the same could be said of their
reflection? If so, one might say that sheep also run from windows! Isn't
that uncanny???


Shane


"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ehJ2SEGQFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> ROFL
> Don't start that again <vbg>
> As for the script, I far as I know I have never run it on here, the only
> time I've been in the BIOS on this machine was when I first got it and was
> sorting out the OS that came with it and changing the boot order so I
> could clean install my own copy.
> Joan
>
> Shane wrote:
>
>>
>> Trust you to bring sheep into it Joan!
>
>> Yes, well you only need to run the script once (by Doug Knox). Are you
>> sure you didn't run it in the early days?
>>
>>
>> Shane
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:34:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

95, 96, 97, 98, WinMe,.... Say Goodnight Gracie ... Zzzzzzzz....

Mart


"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ozN6PHQFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Funny, isn't it? I thought I ought to point out that it runs from Windows.
> And yet that brings to mind the picture of a sheep, running as one climbs
> the 5 bar gate into it's field. It's probably fair to say that sheep would
> run from their own shadows, but I wonder if the same could be said of
> their reflection? If so, one might say that sheep also run from windows!
> Isn't that uncanny???
>
>
> Shane
>
>
> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ehJ2SEGQFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> ROFL
>> Don't start that again <vbg>
>> As for the script, I far as I know I have never run it on here, the only
>> time I've been in the BIOS on this machine was when I first got it and
>> was sorting out the OS that came with it and changing the boot order so I
>> could clean install my own copy.
>> Joan
>>
>> Shane wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Trust you to bring sheep into it Joan!
>>
>>> Yes, well you only need to run the script once (by Doug Knox). Are you
>>> sure you didn't run it in the early days?
>>>
>>>
>>> Shane
>
>
April 14, 2005 10:48:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

He's probably in a coma now, Joan.......Joan?

Shane


"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o AEQEkHQFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> 95, 96, 97, 98, WinMe,.... Say Goodnight Gracie ... Zzzzzzzz....
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o ozN6PHQFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Funny, isn't it? I thought I ought to point out that it runs from
>> Windows. And yet that brings to mind the picture of a sheep, running as
>> one climbs the 5 bar gate into it's field. It's probably fair to say that
>> sheep would run from their own shadows, but I wonder if the same could be
>> said of their reflection? If so, one might say that sheep also run from
>> windows! Isn't that uncanny???
>>
>>
>> Shane
>>
>>
>> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ehJ2SEGQFHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> ROFL
>>> Don't start that again <vbg>
>>> As for the script, I far as I know I have never run it on here, the only
>>> time I've been in the BIOS on this machine was when I first got it and
>>> was sorting out the OS that came with it and changing the boot order so
>>> I could clean install my own copy.
>>> Joan
>>>
>>> Shane wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Trust you to bring sheep into it Joan!
>>>
>>>> Yes, well you only need to run the script once (by Doug Knox). Are you
>>>> sure you didn't run it in the early days?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Shane
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> Don't encourage him Mart he's bad enough on his own <vbg>
Joan

Mart wrote:
> 95, 96, 97, 98, WinMe,.... Say Goodnight Gracie ... Zzzzzzzz....
>
> Mart
>
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:59:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> Mart or the sheep <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> He's probably in a coma now, Joan.......Joan?
>
> Shane
>
>
!