Many RestorePonts

Hi,
Every time I run Ad-Aware SE, get the same two files, the scan stops and
"fix" these two in C:\_Restore\Archive\FS18.CAB (A0003273 and A0003282.CPY;
both are the same size (52KB) and dates: 3/14/2005 8:06 PM. Can I delete
these two FS18.CAB Files??

I have the Following System RestorePoints: April 11,10,7,4,3,2,1 and
March 30,28,25,23,21,18,17 and 15. Is it normal in having all these
RestorePoints in the first place??
Also note that a Search for C:\_Restore\Archive give me 196 objects,
mostly FS, but also some starting with RG, I have 10 of those all with over
10 MB...these are coinciding with the above dates of RestorePoints. Is this
normal of something fishy here??
Tks in advance

--
cogito ergo sum

Paul,

No, you cannot and should not delete any individual files in the restore
archive as doing so compromises the entire archive rendering it
effectively useless. If these cab files worry you, not that they should
cause concern since they are harmless where they are, then reset system
restore and this will flush the archive and get rid of its current
contents. If your system is running OK and you know you aren't likely to
need system restore to roll back to an earlier date I would reset system
restore and start off again with a clean archive and a single checkpoint
created today.

The number of checkpoints you have available at any time is related to
both the space you have allocated to the archive and the number of changes
you have made to your system. If you wish to reduce the number of
checkpoints, and IMO going back a month is perhaps excessive, reduce the
space you have allocated to the archive.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

PAT (Paul) <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Every time I run Ad-Aware SE, get the same two files, the scan
> stops and "fix" these two in C:\_Restore\Archive\FS18.CAB (A0003273
> and A0003282.CPY; both are the same size (52KB) and dates: 3/14/2005
> 8:06 PM. Can I delete these two FS18.CAB Files??
>
> I have the Following System RestorePoints: April 11,10,7,4,3,2,1 and
> March 30,28,25,23,21,18,17 and 15. Is it normal in having all
> these RestorePoints in the first place??
> Also note that a Search for C:\_Restore\Archive give me 196 objects,
> mostly FS, but also some starting with RG, I have 10 of those all
> with over 10 MB...these are coinciding with the above dates of
> RestorePoints. Is this normal of something fishy here??
> Tks in advance

Note ( in addition to Mike's comments) that it essential to reset System
Restore in the 'proper manner' - or you may cause more problems further down
the line....
To Reset System Restore -
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check
"Disable System Restore",
Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot.
This will flush you restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck
"Disable System Restore",
Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot.
This should now automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following
the restart.
Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider
to your preferred setting.

Most people find that a setting of 200-300MB is sufficient to hold 10-15
days worth of restore points, unless you are doing a lot of
installs/uninstalls, or installing large applications (such as Office).

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi