Can't see the other computer! please help

Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and I'm
using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything is
set up fine...

We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
any help really appreciated

You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be in
the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish themselves.
You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer and
file sharing?

"JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
> I'm
> using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
> computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
> is
> set up fine...
>
> We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
> any help really appreciated

Workgroup name, is the same in both computers "WORKGROUP"
Different computer names...
Used the wizard, and used the option "connect through hub"
Firewall off
File printer sharing enabled in both machines.

Maybe the gateway is blocking the connection
This gateway receives our cable internet connection and send it through the
air.. to the wireless usb adaptors that we have in each computer..

thanks

"Kevin" wrote:

> You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be in
> the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish themselves.
> You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
> configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer and
> file sharing?
>
> "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
> > I'm
> > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
> > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
> > is
> > set up fine...
> >
> > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
> > any help really appreciated

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
I'm
> using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
> computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
is
> set up fine...
>
> We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
> any help really appreciated

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I don't remember the "connect through hub" as part of the setup, but I have
not used the Wireless wizard.

Have you gotten it to work?

Clark

> Workgroup name, is the same in both computers "WORKGROUP"
> Different computer names...
> Used the wizard, and used the option "connect through hub"
> Firewall off
> File printer sharing enabled in both machines.
>
> Maybe the gateway is blocking the connection
> This gateway receives our cable internet connection and send it through
> the
> air.. to the wireless usb adaptors that we have in each computer..
>
> thanks
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
>> You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be
>> in
>> the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish
>> themselves.
>> You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
>> configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer
>> and
>> file sharing?
>>
>> "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2,
>> > and
>> > I'm
>> > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the
>> > other
>> > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and
>> > everything
>> > is
>> > set up fine...
>> >
>> > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
>> > any help really appreciated

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I came across something else to check. Open your Network connections and
see if there is a Bridge in there. If there is, try disabling it.

Clark