Can't see the other computer! please help

Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and I'm
using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything is
set up fine...

We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
any help really appreciated
5 answers Last reply
More about computer help

    You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be in
    the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish themselves.
    You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
    configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer and
    file sharing?

    "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
    > I'm
    > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
    > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
    > is
    > set up fine...
    >
    > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
    > any help really appreciated

    Workgroup name, is the same in both computers "WORKGROUP"
    Different computer names...
    Used the wizard, and used the option "connect through hub"
    Firewall off
    File printer sharing enabled in both machines.

    Maybe the gateway is blocking the connection
    This gateway receives our cable internet connection and send it through the
    air.. to the wireless usb adaptors that we have in each computer..

    thanks

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be in
    > the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish themselves.
    > You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
    > configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer and
    > file sharing?
    >
    > "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
    > > I'm
    > > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
    > > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
    > > is
    > > set up fine...
    > >
    > > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
    > > any help really appreciated

    Hi
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2, and
    I'm
    > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the other
    > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and everything
    is
    > set up fine...
    >
    > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
    > any help really appreciated

    I don't remember the "connect through hub" as part of the setup, but I have
    not used the Wireless wizard.

    Have you gotten it to work?

    Clark

    > Workgroup name, is the same in both computers "WORKGROUP"
    > Different computer names...
    > Used the wizard, and used the option "connect through hub"
    > Firewall off
    > File printer sharing enabled in both machines.
    >
    > Maybe the gateway is blocking the connection
    > This gateway receives our cable internet connection and send it through
    > the
    > air.. to the wireless usb adaptors that we have in each computer..
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    >> You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must be
    >> in
    >> the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish
    >> themselves.
    >> You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
    >> configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer
    >> and
    >> file sharing?
    >>
    >> "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, I'm trying to make a home network.. I'm using windows xp sp2,
    >> > and
    >> > I'm
    >> > using wireless adapters, after setting it up windows doesnt see the
    >> > other
    >> > computer, the network name is the same in both computers, and
    >> > everything
    >> > is
    >> > set up fine...
    >> >
    >> > We are using a 3Com gateway, and SMC usb wireless adapters...
    >> > any help really appreciated

    I came across something else to check. Open your Network connections and
    see if there is a Bridge in there. If there is, try disabling it.

    Clark

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    >I don't remember the "connect through hub" as part of the setup, but I have
    >not used the Wireless wizard.
    >
    > Have you gotten it to work?
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Workgroup name, is the same in both computers "WORKGROUP"
    >> Different computer names...
    >> Used the wizard, and used the option "connect through hub"
    >> Firewall off
    >> File printer sharing enabled in both machines.
    >>
    >> Maybe the gateway is blocking the connection
    >> This gateway receives our cable internet connection and send it through
    >> the
    >> air.. to the wireless usb adaptors that we have in each computer..
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> "Kevin" wrote:
    >>
    >>> You mean "workgroup" name, not network name, right? The machines must
    >>> be in
    >>> the same Workgroup, but can have different names to distinguish
    >>> themselves.
    >>> You used the Wizard to set up your home network? Is your firewall
    >>> configured to allow both machines to see each other? What about printer
    >>> and
    >>> file sharing?
    >>>
    >>> "JesDM" <JesDM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Wireless Computers Wireless Networking