strange thing with p3 system

I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a dell).

I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.

The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow or
6 hours + behind!

What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
mind the system is running 24/7?!

Stuart
4 answers Last reply
More about strange thing system

    well you can try a new battery and see if that helps if not then it is most
    likely a failure of the clock on the motherboard.

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > well you can try a new battery and see if that helps if not then it is
    most
    > likely a failure of the clock on the motherboard.

    Windows only looks at the onboard clock at Boot! What OS? Win9x is NOT
    suitable for running 24/7. You may need to restart every 2 or 3 days,
    depending how well behaved the software is. Badly behaved apps can cause the
    windows clock to lose time.
    MIke.

    Stuart Turrell wrote:

    > I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a dell).
    >
    > I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.
    >
    > The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow or
    > 6 hours + behind!
    >
    > What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
    > mind the system is running 24/7?!
    >
    > Stuart

    Until you figure it out, and even afterwards, keep an internet time sync.

    http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

    "Stuart Turrell" <stuartturrell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a
    >dell).
    >
    > I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.
    >
    > The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow
    > or 6 hours + behind!
    >
    > What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
    > mind the system is running 24/7?!
    >
    > Stuart

    I built a brand new Athlon system a year ago on a new Soltek mb and that
    bugger has never kept time; even with a new battery. (24/7 WXP)
    So I use Atomic Clock and have it ping daily.
    Has never burped except for this one dumb thing. I figure some things just
    ain't worth wasting time on.
    Mark

    --
    Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
    ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Homebuilt Systems