strange thing with p3 system

I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a dell).

I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.

The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow or
6 hours + behind!

What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
mind the system is running 24/7?!

Stuart

BigJim

well you can try a new battery and see if that helps if not then it is most
likely a failure of the clock on the motherboard.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> well you can try a new battery and see if that helps if not then it is
most
> likely a failure of the clock on the motherboard.

Windows only looks at the onboard clock at Boot! What OS? Win9x is NOT
suitable for running 24/7. You may need to restart every 2 or 3 days,
depending how well behaved the software is. Badly behaved apps can cause the
windows clock to lose time.
MIke.

Stuart Turrell wrote:

> I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a dell).
>
> I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.
>
> The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow or
> 6 hours + behind!
>
> What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
> mind the system is running 24/7?!
>
> Stuart

Until you figure it out, and even afterwards, keep an internet time sync.

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

"Stuart Turrell" <stuartturrell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just built a old p3 system with 667mhz processor (used to be a
>dell).
>
> I leave it running 24/7 to capture data from my weather station.
>
> The thing is, something is going wrong with the clock, it is either slow
> or 6 hours + behind!
>
> What could be the problem. Would it be the motherboard battery? Bearing in
> mind the system is running 24/7?!
>
> Stuart

I built a brand new Athlon system a year ago on a new Soltek mb and that
ah heck has never kept time; even with a new battery. (24/7 WXP)
So I use Atomic Clock and have it ping daily.
Has never burped except for this one dumb thing. I figure some things just
ain't worth wasting time on.
Mark

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

TRENDING THREADS