am I stuck?!?

From: "Greg Evans" <Greg Evans@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead because the
| processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but since I plan using
| the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I wanted some of the media
| features of ME. Is there any way around that installation stop? For 17 mhz
| am I stuck?!?

Time to upgrade that platform !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Greg Evans wrote:
> I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead because the
> processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but since I plan using
> the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I wanted some of the media
> features of ME. Is there any way around that installation stop? For 17 mhz
> am I stuck?!?

Well as long as you have it may as well try and see...

Setup.exe includes a switch to bypass the processor speed test; when you
want to run setup type it in as

setup /nm

Rick

Don't waste your time trying. Whilst it is possible to install Win Me on
such a slow processor the machine would only be good for e-mail and
browsing. I'd strongly advise you to either stick with 98/98SE or,
better, upgrade your hardware.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Greg Evans <Greg Evans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead
> because the processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but
> since I plan using the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I
> wanted some of the media features of ME. Is there any way around
> that installation stop? For 17 mhz am I stuck?!?

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you! I'll try it. If it's as slow as people say I'll go back to 98.

"Rick T" wrote:

> Greg Evans wrote:
> > I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead because the
> > processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but since I plan using
> > the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I wanted some of the media
> > features of ME. Is there any way around that installation stop? For 17 mhz
> > am I stuck?!?
>
> Well as long as you have it may as well try and see...
>
> Setup.exe includes a switch to bypass the processor speed test; when you
> want to run setup type it in as
>
> setup /nm
>

> Rick

Shane

It will be. But it's your time to waste. You can spend it listening to your
steam radio, eh?

Shane

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you! I'll try it. If it's as slow as people say I'll go back to
> 98.
>
> "Rick T" wrote:
>
>> Greg Evans wrote:
>> > I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead because
>> > the
>> > processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but since I plan
>> > using
>> > the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I wanted some of the
>> > media
>> > features of ME. Is there any way around that installation stop? For
>> > 17 mhz
>> > am I stuck?!?
>>
>> Well as long as you have it may as well try and see...
>>
>> Setup.exe includes a switch to bypass the processor speed test; when you
>> want to run setup type it in as
>>
>> setup /nm
>>

>> Rick

Can't see it as being any slower than alot of laptops.

Rick

Shane wrote:
> It will be. But it's your time to waste. You can spend it listening to your
> steam radio, eh?
>

> Shane
>

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thank you! I'll try it. If it's as slow as people say I'll go back to
>>98.

>>>Well as long as you have it may as well try and see...
>>>
>>>Setup.exe includes a switch to bypass the processor speed test; when you
>>>want to run setup type it in as
>>>
>>>setup /nm
>>>

>>>Rick

If you read the OP's original post you will see he wanted to use the PC
for media work. In such cases hic PC will resemble a slug. As I said in
my earlier post 133MHz is OK for browsing and e-mail but not much more but
for playing a video it will stink and as for a DVD that is almost
certainly out of the question.

I am intrigued though as to why a processor of speed "x" will be slower
when in a laptop than when in a desktop. Perhaps you could explain what
you meant as I don't quite follow what you are saying here.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M wrote:
> If you read the OP's original post you will see he wanted to use the
> PC for media work.

original post:
>>> I tried to install ME on a 133 mhz Pentium and it stopped dead because the
>>> processor wasn't at 150 mhz. I installed 98 for now but since I plan using
>>> the PC as a slideshow and home video display PC I wanted some of the media
>>> features of ME. Is there any way around that installation stop? For 17 mhz
>>> am I stuck?!?

I don't see "media work" in there... slideshows aren't that processor
intensive, although I'm not sure what the "media features of ME" are;
certainly I wouldn't suggest installing WMP9.

> In such cases hic PC will resemble a slug. As I said in my earlier
> post 133MHz is OK for browsing and e-mail but not much more but for
> playing a video it will stink and as for a DVD that is almost
> certainly out of the question.

Depends on the video subsystem which he didn't mention.

> I am intrigued though as to why a processor of speed "x" will be
> slower when in a laptop than when in a desktop.

Did I say that? The "it" in question in previous posts was the machine
in toto, not the processor.

Regardless it won't be that much trouble for him to find out, seeing as
he already has the machine and the OS.

Rick

Alias

Used 233 MX processors are really cheap. It would seem to me that the OP
might want to look into that. I can get one for around 33 US dollars.

Alias

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote

> If you read the OP's original post you will see he wanted to use the PC
> for media work. In such cases hic PC will resemble a slug. As I said in
> my earlier post 133MHz is OK for browsing and e-mail but not much more but
> for playing a video it will stink and as for a DVD that is almost
> certainly out of the question.
>
> I am intrigued though as to why a processor of speed "x" will be slower
> when in a laptop than when in a desktop. Perhaps you could explain what
> you meant as I don't quite follow what you are saying here.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't see it as being any slower than alot of laptops.

Rick,

It appears that you place a different meaning on "I plan using the PC ..
and home video display" and "I wanted some media features of ME" than
myself. If all the poster wished to do was display still images such as
jpgs this could be done equally using a PC running Win 95 or 98. What
distinguishes Win Me from 98SE are its media features such as WMP7 and
MovieMaker. However WMP7 requires a processor >240MHz and MovieMaker
requires a minimum of 400MHz (although there is nothing in the OP's post
to suggest he intends using MovieMaker).

Since you didn't understand my question about processor speed let me put
it another way, what exactly do you mean by "Can't see it as being any
slower than a lot of laptops" and its relevance to this thread? Hence my
question as to what difference do you think a user is going to see between
a 166MHz processor when installed in a desktop against when installed in a
laptop?
--

Mike M wrote:
> Rick,
>
> It appears that you place a different meaning on "I plan using the PC ..
> and home video display" and "I wanted some media features of ME" than
> myself. If all the poster wished to do was display still images such as
> jpgs this could be done equally using a PC running Win 95 or 98. What
> distinguishes Win Me from 98SE are its media features such as WMP7 and
> MovieMaker. However WMP7 requires a processor >240MHz and MovieMaker
> requires a minimum of 400MHz (although there is nothing in the OP's post
> to suggest he intends using MovieMaker).
>
> Since you didn't understand my question about processor speed let me put
> it another way, what exactly do you mean by "Can't see it as being any
> slower than a lot of laptops" and its relevance to this thread? Hence
> my question as to what difference do you think a user is going to see
> between a 166MHz processor when installed in a desktop against when
> installed in a laptop?

Are you contending that things like a slower buss speed, slower memory,
slower disk access time, slower disk transfer speed, on-board graphics
and software sound aren't going to contribute to a user's experience of
a laptop being slower than a desktop (given same processor speed
ratings)?...

And that's not even including the psychological effects of using input
devices which sacrifice comfort and ease-of-use for size/weight/power
considerations. That furthers the feeling of slowness (even if it isn't
real).

I disrecall if WinME requires MMX.

Rick T

Rick,

What I am contending here is that your input here is irrelevant to the
OP's problem. You also seem to fail to appreciate how poorly suited Win
Me is to running media tasks on a PC with a 133MHz processor.

As to your comments about laptop being slower have a look around you at
what has happened in the last few years <vbg>. You'll find that many of
your comments are no longer applicable hence the roaring trade in laptops
as desktop replacements in so many companies. I'd also suggest that it is
several years since new laptops ran at speeds comparable with a 133MHz
desktop but we digress. I agree that using a laptop keyboard is a bit
"icky" and as for a touchpad give me a usb laptop mouse any day. :)
--

Mike M wrote:
> Rick,
>
> What I am contending here is that your input here is irrelevant to the
> OP's problem.

To the contrary; I was the only one who gave him a solution which
veracity he could test immediately. Everybody else's were the stock
"upgrade hardware" which is pretty bloody obvious.

> You also seem to fail to appreciate how poorly suited Win
> Me is to running media tasks on a PC with a 133MHz processor.

I went from a 386-40 (happily running Win95) to a 667 (happily running
WinME)... missed that step(s).

> As to your comments about laptop being slower have a look around you at
> what has happened in the last few years <vbg>.

I was going to put in a caveat regarding Pentium M etc. bringing laptop
performance closer to the desktop, and the current abundance of
all-in-one boards which bring desktop performnace closer to the laptop,
but that hardly seemed relevant to the "150 Mhz" category which we were
discussing.

Rick T

> To the contrary; I was the only one who gave him a solution which
> veracity he could test immediately.

And IMO a somewhat pointless solution given the OPs requirements which is
why I and perhaps others didn't post the details of how to install Win Me
on a slow processor. For myself this was so as to save the poster wasting
his time. You clearly felt differently. So be it.
--

Mike M wrote:
>> To the contrary; I was the only one who gave him a solution which
>> veracity he could test immediately.
>

> And IMO a somewhat pointless solution given the OPs requirements which
> is why I and perhaps others didn't post the details of how to install
> Win Me on a slow processor. For myself this was so as to save the
> poster wasting his time. You clearly felt differently. So be it.

An hour's worth of install for a possible solution (the OP wasn't
specific enough) vs. how many hours + $$$ to upgrade hardware?

Note that he said "When I try to install WinME..." not "I'm thinking of
upgrading to WinME (ie: going out and buying one)".

Rick

Shane

Rick,

It is obvious that you told him what he wanted to hear. If a couple of
dozen of us had said his hardware was insufficient and you - or anyone
else - had been the one person saying "you might as well try it", he'd have
gone with you. Not only is your solution pointless, so was his original
post.

Shane

Shane wrote:
> Rick,
>
> It is obvious that you told him what he wanted to hear.

Well, yes I did.

> If a couple of
> dozen of us had said his hardware was insufficient and you - or anyone
> else - had been the one person saying "you might as well try it", he'd have
> gone with you.

funny you should say that since that's what happened.

> Not only is your solution pointless, so was his original
> post.

If it was then he knows it by now.

Do you have a point or do you just feel miffed because I gave him a
possible solution that doesn't require (currently) going out and
spending bucks on new hardware?

If he was just after playing DVDs he could probably pick an old MPEG-2
decoder for $5 or so. Somewhat cheaper than purchasing a new system
wouldn't you say?

Likewise picking up a used Matrox Mystique or Millenium(PCI) and a
Rainbow Runner (for a little more) will give reasonable NLE functions if
that's his goal.

Rick

> Shane
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>And IMO a somewhat pointless solution given the OPs requirements which is
>>>why I and perhaps others didn't post the details of how to install Win Me
>>>on a slow processor. For myself this was so as to save the poster
>>>wasting his time. You clearly felt differently. So be it.
>>
>>An hour's worth of install for a possible solution (the OP wasn't specific
>>enough) vs. how many hours + $$$ to upgrade hardware?
>>
>>Note that he said "When I try to install WinME..." not "I'm thinking of
>>upgrading to WinME (ie: going out and buying one)".
>>
>>Rick

Shane

> Shane wrote:
>> Rick,
>>
>> It is obvious that you told him what he wanted to hear.
>
> Well, yes I did.
>
>> If a couple of dozen of us had said his hardware was insufficient and
>> you - or anyone else - had been the one person saying "you might as well
>> try it", he'd have gone with you.
>
> funny you should say that since that's what happened.
>
>> Not only is your solution pointless, so was his original post.
>
> If it was then he knows it by now.
>
> Do you have a point or do you just feel miffed because I gave him a
> possible solution that doesn't require (currently) going out and spending
> bucks on new hardware?
>
> If he was just after playing DVDs he could probably pick an old MPEG-2
> decoder for $5 or so. Somewhat cheaper than purchasing a new system
> wouldn't you say?

I didn't suggest new hardware. The point - as Mike has amply explained - is
that he'll be better off, for his stated purposes, staying with Win 98.

New hardware - which I haven't suggested - is generally a good idea for
those in this day and age still using a 150MHz processor and unless you're
arguing for retaining a 150MHz processor-based system as one's sole PC no
matter what, I wonder what you object to in that recommendation? I like old
hardware - I ride a 1974 Triumph Bonneville as my sole transport. But I
wouldn't recommend to anyone that they keep, as their only transport, a 1939
rigid-frame or Spring Wheel Speed Twin.

Yes, I do have a point. Your solution is not a solution, it's a waste of
time.

Shane

Shane wrote:
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Shane wrote:
>>
>>>Rick,
>>>
>>>It is obvious that you told him what he wanted to hear.
>>
>>Well, yes I did.
>>

>>>If a couple of dozen of us had said his hardware was insufficient and
>>>you - or anyone else - had been the one person saying "you might as well
>>>try it", he'd have gone with you.
>>
>>funny you should say that since that's what happened.
>>

>>>Not only is your solution pointless, so was his original post.
>>
>>If it was then he knows it by now.
>>
>>Do you have a point or do you just feel miffed because I gave him a
>>possible solution that doesn't require (currently) going out and spending
>>bucks on new hardware?
>>
>>If he was just after playing DVDs he could probably pick an old MPEG-2
>>decoder for $5 or so. Somewhat cheaper than purchasing a new system
>>wouldn't you say?
>

> I didn't suggest new hardware.

oh, k.

> The point - as Mike has amply explained - is
> that he'll be better off, for his stated purposes, staying with Win 98.

mebbe he has a proggie that needs Active Desktop to install. Maybe he
likes native zip functionality, maybe etc.... or the built in slideshow
viewer.

> New hardware - which I haven't suggested - is generally a good idea for
> those in this day and age still using a 150MHz processor and unless you're
> arguing for retaining a 150MHz processor-based system as one's sole PC no
> matter what, I wonder what you object to in that recommendation?

The OP wasn't too specific about his usage, though if you read the post,
it doesn't sound like his only system.

> I like old
> hardware - I ride a 1974 Triumph Bonneville as my sole transport.

nice ride.

> But I
> wouldn't recommend to anyone that they keep, as their only transport, a 1939
> rigid-frame or Spring Wheel Speed Twin.

Perfect for riding around to local shops/events on the weekend.

> Yes, I do have a point. Your solution is not a solution, it's a waste of
> time.

ain't. your gas mileage may vary but I don't see anything to
definitively sway one way or the other barring further usage info.

Rick

> Shane

Nomad

> Mike M wrote:
> >> To the contrary; I was the only one who gave him a solution which
> >> veracity he could test immediately.
> >

> > And IMO a somewhat pointless solution given the OPs requirements which
> > is why I and perhaps others didn't post the details of how to install
> > Win Me on a slow processor. For myself this was so as to save the
> > poster wasting his time. You clearly felt differently. So be it.
>
> An hour's worth of install for a possible solution (the OP wasn't
> specific enough) vs. how many hours + $$$ to upgrade hardware?
>
> Note that he said "When I try to install WinME..." not "I'm thinking of
> upgrading to WinME (ie: going out and buying one)".

Hey Rick ol' chap...your response can't be too relevant...you forgot to top
post on this one!
--
Nomad

Nomad wrote:
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>And IMO a somewhat pointless solution given the OPs requirements which
>>>is why I and perhaps others didn't post the details of how to install
>>>Win Me on a slow processor. For myself this was so as to save the
>>>poster wasting his time. You clearly felt differently. So be it.
>>
>>An hour's worth of install for a possible solution (the OP wasn't
>>specific enough) vs. how many hours + $$$ to upgrade hardware?
>>
>>Note that he said "When I try to install WinME..." not "I'm thinking of
>>upgrading to WinME (ie: going out and buying one)".
>

> Hey Rick ol' chap...your response can't be too relevant...you forgot to top
> post on this one!

I think I should read the comics first thing in the morning instead of
ms.winme NGs.

> --
> Nomad

FWIW, I found that attempting to play a commercial DVD in my PII/400 system
(ME installed)meant dropped frames every second - although that may have had
something to do with he 8MB display card installed, it didn't improve that
much when I eventually installed a 32MB card.
Any scene-change effectively meant two dropped frames, and watching the
opening scenes of AI was impossible.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I found that attempting to play a commercial DVD in my PII/400
> system (ME installed)meant dropped frames every second

Exactly, I experienced similar problems, but not every second, with my
PII/450 when using PowerDVD to view a DVD, rather than say an AVI or
SVCD/VCD which usually played OK. Hence my comment several posts ago in
this thread.

Mike M wrote:
> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I found that attempting to play a commercial DVD in my PII/400
>> system (ME installed)meant dropped frames every second
>

> Exactly, I experienced similar problems, but not every second, with my
> PII/450 when using PowerDVD to view a DVD, rather than say an AVI or
> SVCD/VCD which usually played OK. Hence my comment several posts ago in
> this thread.
>
>> - although
>> that may have had something to do with he 8MB display card installed,
>> it didn't improve that much when I eventually installed a 32MB card.
>> Any scene-change effectively meant two dropped frames, and watching
>> the opening scenes of AI was impossible.

Trimming Startup works. And make sure DMA is enabled.

Some DVD proggies are capable of offloading ICDT/motion compensation to
a specific mfr's cards.

If you can tweak the DVD drive cacheing settings towards a *huge*
chunksize, that helps alot. (not alot of experience on this, my video
stuff's on HDs, and my P3 can handle DVDs without me playing with any
settings)

a P2-400 should (barely) be able to handle DVD playing without hardware
support.

Rick