System freezes when accessing certain files

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 13, 2005 4:26:03 PM

Hi,

On myu Gran;s PC she wanted a new program for something, so I downloaded a
zip of it for her and tried to extract, it froze and I had to turn it off at
the mains. Turned it on again, and found the normal folder where it tried to
extract to-clicked this and it crashed.
Booted again, deleted both files (folder and zip) to the Recycle Bin along
with abunch of other files, and when I tried to empty it-the PC froze.
Booted AGAIN, set recycle bin to 'Do not use-delete files immeadiatly'. All
other files from the recycle bin disappeared, yet the two folders remained.
Now I cannot use the recycle bin because it crashes upon emptying. I cannot
get rid of those two folders! ANy help?
April 13, 2005 5:33:27 PM

Boot from the ME Safety Boot floppy and try deleting the folders from the
real-mode DOS prompt.

"randyrandall89" <randyrandall89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On myu Gran;s PC she wanted a new program for something, so I downloaded a
> zip of it for her and tried to extract, it froze and I had to turn it off
> at
> the mains. Turned it on again, and found the normal folder where it tried
> extract to-clicked this and it crashed.
> Booted again, deleted both files (folder and zip) to the Recycle Bin along
> with abunch of other files, and when I tried to empty it-the PC froze.
> Booted AGAIN, set recycle bin to 'Do not use-delete files immeadiatly'.
> All
> other files from the recycle bin disappeared, yet the two folders
> remained.
> Now I cannot use the recycle bin because it crashes upon emptying. I
> cannot
> get rid of those two folders! ANy help?
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:20:41 PM

If what Jerry spoke of does not work for you......here is my collection of
notes re: the Recycle Bin and the inability to empty it:
(credit due to various resident gurus)

Can't Empty Recycle Bin.

Boot with your Millennium EBD.

At the A:\ prompt type:

"C:\Windows\Command\deltree C:\recycled"

and press Enter. Select Yes when asked if you are sure.

Repeat the command for other drives/partitions. For example, if you also
have a D:
drive it would be:

"C:\Windows\Command\deltree D:\recycled"

Remove the floppy and restart the computer.

------------------------------------
Try resetting the Recycle bins.
You will lose everything in it.

Bootup using the "Windows Startup Disk"
At the DOS prompt,
type the following lines,
and press <enter> after each.

ATTRIB -S -H -R C:\RECYCLED
DELTREE /Y C:\RECYCLED

If you have other fixed drives,
then do the same for them also,
such as:

ATTRIB -S -H -R D:\RECYCLED
DELTREE /Y D:\RECYCLED

To reboot,
remove the floppy disk,
and press Ctrl+Alt+Del
---------------------------------------
Files deleted do not show in Recycle Bin:

I had a reply from another post as follows: (worked great)

>Right click on the desktop and select New, Folder.

Then delete the new folder that is produced.

Right click the recycle bin and select Empty bin.

Restart the computer and check if your recycle bin is OK
now.

Do those actions as a continuous sequence without doing
anything else in between.
---------------------------------
Each drive has a Recycled folder. Files deleted from compliant programs are
moved to the Recycled folder on the drive from which they are deleted.
Double-clicking the Recycle Bin icon displays the folder listing of deleted
files available for restoration.

Clicking a file and choosing Restore causes the original path to be read
from the INFO file, and the file to be renamed and restored to its original
path.
Damaged or Deleted INFO File
If the INFO file is damaged or deleted, no files appear in the Recycle Bin.
However, the renamed files still exist in the Recycled folder. Even though
the files in the Recycled folder have been renamed, they are not changed in
any other way. For example, a text file is still viewable as a text file. To
restore such a file, you can manually search for the file in the folder and
rename it.

If the INFO file is deleted, it is re-created when you restart Windows. If
the Recycle Bin becomes damaged and stops functioning, deleting the hidden
INFO file in the Recycle folder and restarting Windows may enable you to
again access files in the Recycle Bin. The INFO file is a hidden file. To
delete the INFO file follow these steps:

Open a command prompt window
Type cd recycled
Type attrib -h inf*
Type del info
Damaged Files in Recycled Folder
No files may appear in the Recycle Bin if the files in the Recycled folder
are damaged. If this is the case, create a copy of the Recycled\ Desktop.ini
file in another folder, and then delete the entire contents of the Recycled
folder. Then, restore the Desktop.ini file to the Recycled folder. Note that
doing this deletes all files in the Recycle Bin.

If the Desktop.ini file is not present or is also damaged, it can be
recreated by adding the following information to a blank Desktop.ini file:
[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Damaged Recycled Folder
The Recycled folder itself can become damaged. Files are moved to the folder
and the Recycle Bin on the desktop appears full, but you cannot view the
contents and the Empty The Recycle Bin command is unavailable. Deleting this
folder and restarting Windows will re-create this folder and restore
functionality:
Restart to a command prompt.
Type attrib -s -h recycled.
Type del recycled.
Restart the computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=136517
Something in the above ought to do the trick.......
Heirloom, old and be back Monday

!