Windows ME re-install question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 14, 2005 10:35:33 AM

Hi,
after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-

"Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
these files."

Is it ok to contine ??????????????

Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:29:03 PM

Anthony wrote:

> Hi,
> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
> re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
> have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-
>
> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
> of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
> that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
> If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
> AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
> these files."
>

> Is it ok to contine ??????????????
>
> Thanks

Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it solves.
One reason is because the registry goes back to the original state with
no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to simply back
up your data files (don't forget email you've archived), take note of
any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive, reinstall
Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing this, go to
Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.

Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone your
old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and restore
all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good idea if
you're dealing with an unknown virus.

You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing this.
In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's just
that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

It appears you have the OEM "recovery" CD, which will restore the machine to
its initial "pristine" state. You need a retail WinME CD to do an
"in-place" reinstallation, which will preserve your current app
installations, etc.

http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
> re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
> have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-
>
> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
> of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
> that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
> If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
> AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
> these files."
>

> Is it ok to continue ??????????????
>
> Thanks
April 14, 2005 5:31:29 PM

Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
manufacturer and the drive model.

Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
formatting)

Rick

PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.

John Corliss wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to re-install
>> windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we have come to this
>> point and are not sure to contine :-
>>
>> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version of set up is
>> designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended that you exit, reboot
>> from your hard drive and run setup. If you contine with this set up ur
>> current CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic
>> versions of these files."
>>

>> Is it ok to contine ??????????????
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it solves.
> One reason is because the registry goes back to the original state with
> no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to simply back
> up your data files (don't forget email you've archived), take note of
> any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive, reinstall
> Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing this, go to
> Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.
>
> Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
> that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone your
> old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and restore
> all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good idea if
> you're dealing with an unknown virus.
>
> You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing this.
> In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's just
> that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:40:08 PM

My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.

Rick T wrote:
> Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
> drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
> manufacturer and the drive model.
>
> Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
> formatting)
>

> Rick
>
> PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
> helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
> around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.
>

> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to re-install
>>> windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we have come to this
>>> point and are not sure to contine :-
>>>
>>> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version of set up is
>>> designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended that you exit, reboot
>>> from your hard drive and run setup. If you contine with this set up
>>> ur current CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic
>>> versions of these files."
>>>

>>> Is it ok to contine ??????????????
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it
>> solves. One reason is because the registry goes back to the original
>> state with no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to
>> simply back up your data files (don't forget email you've archived),
>> take note of any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive,
>> reinstall Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing
>> this, go to Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.
>>
>> Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
>> that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone
>> your old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and
>> restore all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good
>> idea if you're dealing with an unknown virus.
>>
>> You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing
>> this. In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's
>> just that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:18:58 PM

Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as these can
only be used to clean install Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Jack Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> It appears you have the OEM "recovery" CD, which will restore the
> machine to its initial "pristine" state. You need a retail WinME CD
> to do an "in-place" reinstallation, which will preserve your current
> app installations, etc.
>
> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:18:59 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as these
> can only be used to clean install Win Me.

.... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I think
is what they're trying to do)

Rick
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:30:22 PM

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
> think is what they're trying to do)

Rick,

That's what appears to be happening here and something that I thought was
possible however not having an OEM CD to hand I'm not in a position to
test this myself. I can't help but wonder though what would happen if the
OP was to run setup from the windows\options\install folder having, of
course, first dealt with any potential IE6 and WMP9 problems.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

The disc we are using is an official windows ME disc
complete with key-code and the usual microsoft holograms.
However after tring to use it to do a over-install he got
the error :-

"Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
these files."

So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.
Many thanks

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:30:23 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
>> think is what they're trying to do)
>

> Rick,
>
> That's what appears to be happening here and something that I thought
> was possible however not having an OEM CD to hand I'm not in a position
> to test this myself. I can't help but wonder though what would happen
> if the OP was to run setup from the windows\options\install folder
> having, of course, first dealt with any potential IE6 and WMP9 problems.

I've a 95 OEM but haven't any use for it so won't test it. (my ME is u/g)

Rick
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:02:14 PM

John Corliss wrote:
> My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
> for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
> sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.

could be... gives me something to do later on today then.

Rick

> Rick T wrote:
>
>> Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or
>> so) drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both
>> the manufacturer and the drive model.
>>
>> Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
>> formatting)
>>

>> Rick
>>
>> PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
>> helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
>> around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.
>>

>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it
>>> solves. One reason is because the registry goes back to the original
>>> state with no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best
>>> to simply back up your data files (don't forget email you've
>>> archived), take note of any settings and tweaks, then low level
>>> format the drive, reinstall Windows and all of your programs. After
>>> you're done doing this, go to Windows update and get the system up to
>>> snuff in that regard.
>>>
>>> Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
>>> that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone
>>> your old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and
>>> restore all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good
>>> idea if you're dealing with an unknown virus.
>>>
>>> You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing
>>> this. In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall.
>>> It's just that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that
>>> back......

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:17:05 PM

"Official windows ME disk". OK, but is it an OEM disk or a Microsoft one?
What exactly does the label on the CD say? Does it mention something like
"Only to be sold with a new PC"? If yes then it is an OEM CD.

Microsoft CDs come in various forms, full (allowing clean installs as well
as upgrades) and upgrade of which there are two versions, one requiring
the user to either upgrade from a supported OS (DOS, Win 95 or Win 98) or
have a CD for one of these systems and the second, more limited, upgrade
version that only works with Win 98SE.

OEM CDs however can only be used to clean install the operating system and
that is very much what appears to be the case here. Was the CD supplied
with the PC? If so then it is likely to be an OEM version. OEM versions
are far less expensive to the manufacturers than the full Microsoft
versions not only because of the installation limitations but also because
the OEM rather than Microsoft are responsible for all subsequent support.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

> So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
> proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.

Did you read Noel Paton's site as suggested by Jack? Have you tried
running setup from the windows\options\install location as I have
suggested? You will only lose contents of the hard disk if you format
and/or re-partition the hard disk or use a "recovery" CD however that
latter doesn't appear to be the case here. Recovery CDs are CDs produced
by computer manufacturers that contain an image of the system as first
delivered and this image is copied to the hard disk when the recovery CD
is run.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The disc we are using is an official windows ME disc
> complete with key-code and the usual microsoft holograms.
> However after tring to use it to do a over-install he got
> the error :-
>
> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
> of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
> that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
> If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
> AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
> these files."
>
> So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
> proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.
April 14, 2005 9:17:06 PM

Mike,
sorry to sound stupid, but I/we are a novices when it
comes to this kind of stuff.
So to sumerise :-

I have checked with him and it does seem (as you thought)
that the disk he is using is infact a OEM as it does state
on the disk only to be distributed with a new pc and in
smaller letters 'Microsoft products are licensed to
OEM's......".
So if I get him to Right click start - Explore - Windows -
Options - Install Location we could be able to do a re-
install without losing info already on his hard drive???
or am I missing the point???
Thanks for info so far Mike
regards

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:54:28 PM

Anthony.

Before you do anything further PLEASE PLEASE read the page that Jack
referred you to in his initial reply to your query -
http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm.

If reinstalling Win Me over itself it is ESSENTIAL, if Internet Explorer 6
has been installed, to first remove IE6 and Noel's site has a link to a
small program that will help you do this. Further if Windows Media Player
9 has been installed it is also ESSENTIAL to rename the file wmploc.dll to
wmploc.old. The reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is
present during the reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx
and if IE6 is present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to
the reinstall attempting to install IE5.5.

Best of luck with the re-install.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
> sorry to sound stupid, but I/we are a novices when it
> comes to this kind of stuff.
> So to sumerise :-
>
> I have checked with him and it does seem (as you thought)
> that the disk he is using is infact a OEM as it does state
> on the disk only to be distributed with a new pc and in
> smaller letters 'Microsoft products are licensed to
> OEM's......".
> So if I get him to Right click start - Explore - Windows -
> Options - Install Location we could be able to do a re-
> install without losing info already on his hard drive???
> or am I missing the point???
> Thanks for info so far Mike
April 14, 2005 9:54:29 PM

Mike,
Thanks for info, I did have a quick look at Jack's page a
although it look a liite 'out of my league' I will try and
help my friend through it. The problem also being is that
he can't get access to the internet whilst he has this
problem so a 'fix it' programe to find/change the IE6.
Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
what version of IE he is using??
also
How can he check what version of WMP he has got??
if neither of the above are present and we can't get him a
start up disc, will your suggestion of Explore - Windows -
>> Options - Install Location help him with a re-
install ???
sorry again to sound 'basic' but hey we are new to this!!
many thanks again for ur help/patience

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:31:03 PM

> Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
> what version of IE he is using??

Open Internet Explorer and then click Help | About Internet Explorer

> How can he check what version of WMP he has got??

Same procedure, Open Windows Media Player and then click Help | About
Windows Media Player

Startup Disk. This could be awkward if he doesn't have a startup disk but
this shouldn't stop him booting to Safe Mode and trying to run setup from
there. Setup.exe should be found in the windows\options\install folder.

> The problem also being is that
> he can't get access to the internet

What worries me here is that reinstalling Win Me won't necessarily fix
this problem especially so if this is the result of unwanted malware.
Personally I feel your friend should try and get himself a copy of LSPFix
(http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm) and see if his problem is due to a
compromised winsock stack. Fixing that would get him back on the net and
possibly in a better position to proceed.

Best of luck to you both,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
> Thanks for info, I did have a quick look at Jack's page a
> although it look a liite 'out of my league' I will try and
> help my friend through it. The problem also being is that
> he can't get access to the internet whilst he has this
> problem so a 'fix it' programe to find/change the IE6.
> Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
> what version of IE he is using??
> also
> How can he check what version of WMP he has got??
> if neither of the above are present and we can't get him a
> start up disc, will your suggestion of Explore - Windows -
> - Options - Install Location help him with a re-
> install ???
> sorry again to sound 'basic' but hey we are new to this!!
> many thanks again for ur help/patience
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:31:04 PM

Anthony, Mike has done a fine job of explaining the hazards of a casual
reinstallation of WinME when IE6 and WMp9 have been installed. You do not
want to make any mistakes --- or your present problems may seem trivial by
comparison. You must read carefully Noel's excellent instructions until you
understand what must be done.

I concur with Mike and recommend attempting a repair of the current
installation first before proceeding.
Describe the current problems, and we will try to help you.

If you do decide to reinstall, consider carefully the pros and cons of a
"clean" vs. a "in-place" reinstallation, esp. since you have a OEM CD. Ask
for advice here.
--
news:o R6Q9eRQFHA.244@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
> > what version of IE he is using??
>
> Open Internet Explorer and then click Help | About Internet Explorer

<SNIP>
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:57:26 AM

Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be enough
to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> John Corliss wrote:
>> My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
>> for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
>> sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.
>
> could be... gives me something to do later on today then.
>
> Rick
>>
>> Rick T wrote:
>>
>>> Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
>>> drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
>>> manufacturer and the drive model.
>>>
>>> Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
>>> formatting)
>>>

>>> Rick
>>>
>>> PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
>>> helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
>>> around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:57:27 AM

Noel Paton wrote:

> Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be enough
> to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!

My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

Manufacturer's utilities are indeed the preferred media - BUT!!!
most users are not (perhaps) savvy enough to
1) discover their HD manufacturer/vendor
2) use the (perhaps complex) software that such manufacturers provide to do
the job.

in 25 years, I've never used a low-level format yet - and I never expect to
(even if attempting to revive a 'dead' HD).
I use FDISK regularly - and only once has it failed me, when a XP install
decided that it wanted to convert the OS partition to NTFS while it was
running from the HD, and the owner killed the process.

There is NO way around formatting a drive - it just seems that it happens
quicker in the OEM DOS than in FDISK - and then you lose time later in the
process (or lose the verification during the process). If the HD is good,
you may win - if the HD has more than a couple of bad sectors, then you may
lose not only time, but data!!.
..

--

"John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be
>> enough to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!
>
> My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
> faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.
>
> --
> Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:46:38 AM

Noel Paton wrote:

> Manufacturer's utilities are indeed the preferred media - BUT!!!
> most users are not (perhaps) savvy enough to
> 1) discover their HD manufacturer/vendor
> 2) use the (perhaps complex) software that such manufacturers provide to do
> the job.

Absolutely not my experience at all. My new Seagate got LLFed with their
utility and nothing could have been easier to use.

> in 25 years, I've never used a low-level format yet - and I never expect to
> (even if attempting to revive a 'dead' HD).

YMMV.

> I use FDISK regularly - and only once has it failed me, when a XP install
> decided that it wanted to convert the OS partition to NTFS while it was
> running from the HD, and the owner killed the process.

I agree that it works and I've used it before too. Wasn't that hard either.

> There is NO way around formatting a drive - it just seems that it happens
> quicker in the OEM DOS than in FDISK - and then you lose time later in the
> process (or lose the verification during the process). If the HD is good,
> you may win - if the HD has more than a couple of bad sectors, then you may
> lose not only time, but data!!.

True. I was referring to a known good HD, not one with bad sectors.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

John Corliss wrote:
> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be
>> enough to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!
>

> My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
> faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.

a bit of research and it turns out that modern "low level" formatting is
actually "mid level" formatting, the low-level formatting is done at the
factory.

Rick
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:53:09 AM

> Mike M wrote:
> > Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as
these
> > can only be used to clean install Win Me.
>
> ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
think
> is what they're trying to do)
>

> Rick

My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
done it!
Regards Mike.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:24:08 AM

Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
> done it!

That's good to read Mike and puts Fujitsu Siemens up there with the "good
'uns". :-) I just wish more OEMs would include that option.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M wrote:
> Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
>> done it!
>

> That's good to read Mike and puts Fujitsu Siemens up there with the
> "good 'uns". :-) I just wish more OEMs would include that option.

I think we may be back to defining "OEM CD"... the one I have (95) is a
M$ published CD with the "Only to be sold with a New PC" on it.

Rick
!