Windows ME re-install question

Hi,
after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-

"Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
these files."

Is it ok to contine ??????????????

Thanks
24 answers Last reply
More about windows install question

    Anthony wrote:

    > Hi,
    > after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
    > re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
    > have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-
    >
    > "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
    > of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
    > that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
    > If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
    > these files."
    >

    > Is it ok to contine ??????????????
    >
    > Thanks

    Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it solves.
    One reason is because the registry goes back to the original state with
    no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to simply back
    up your data files (don't forget email you've archived), take note of
    any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive, reinstall
    Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing this, go to
    Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.

    Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
    that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone your
    old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and restore
    all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good idea if
    you're dealing with an unknown virus.

    You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing this.
    In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's just
    that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

    It appears you have the OEM "recovery" CD, which will restore the machine to
    its initial "pristine" state. You need a retail WinME CD to do an
    "in-place" reinstallation, which will preserve your current app
    installations, etc.

    http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    "Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to
    > re-install windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we
    > have come to this point and are not sure to contine :-
    >
    > "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
    > of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
    > that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
    > If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
    > these files."
    >

    > Is it ok to continue ??????????????
    >
    > Thanks

    Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
    drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
    manufacturer and the drive model.

    Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
    formatting)

    Rick

    PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
    helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
    around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.

    John Corliss wrote:
    > Anthony wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to re-install
    >> windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we have come to this
    >> point and are not sure to contine :-
    >>
    >> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version of set up is
    >> designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended that you exit, reboot
    >> from your hard drive and run setup. If you contine with this set up ur
    >> current CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic
    >> versions of these files."
    >>

    >> Is it ok to contine ??????????????
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >

    > Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it solves.
    > One reason is because the registry goes back to the original state with
    > no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to simply back
    > up your data files (don't forget email you've archived), take note of
    > any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive, reinstall
    > Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing this, go to
    > Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.
    >
    > Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
    > that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone your
    > old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and restore
    > all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good idea if
    > you're dealing with an unknown virus.
    >
    > You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing this.
    > In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's just
    > that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

    My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
    for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
    sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.

    Rick T wrote:
    > Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
    > drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
    > manufacturer and the drive model.
    >
    > Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
    > formatting)
    >

    > Rick
    >
    > PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
    > helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
    > around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.
    >

    > John Corliss wrote:
    >
    >> Anthony wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> after many problems with a friends pc we have decided to re-install
    >>> windows ME (overlaying his previous version) we have come to this
    >>> point and are not sure to contine :-
    >>>
    >>> "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version of set up is
    >>> designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended that you exit, reboot
    >>> from your hard drive and run setup. If you contine with this set up
    >>> ur current CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic
    >>> versions of these files."
    >>>

    >>> Is it ok to contine ??????????????
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>

    >> Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it
    >> solves. One reason is because the registry goes back to the original
    >> state with no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best to
    >> simply back up your data files (don't forget email you've archived),
    >> take note of any settings and tweaks, then low level format the drive,
    >> reinstall Windows and all of your programs. After you're done doing
    >> this, go to Windows update and get the system up to snuff in that regard.
    >>
    >> Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
    >> that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone
    >> your old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and
    >> restore all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good
    >> idea if you're dealing with an unknown virus.
    >>
    >> You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing
    >> this. In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall. It's
    >> just that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that back......

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

    Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as these can
    only be used to clean install Win Me.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M wrote:
    > Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as these
    > can only be used to clean install Win Me.

    .... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I think
    is what they're trying to do)

    Rick

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
    > think is what they're trying to do)

    Rick,

    That's what appears to be happening here and something that I thought was
    possible however not having an OEM CD to hand I'm not in a position to
    test this myself. I can't help but wonder though what would happen if the
    OP was to run setup from the windows\options\install folder having, of
    course, first dealt with any potential IE6 and WMP9 problems.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    The disc we are using is an official windows ME disc
    complete with key-code and the usual microsoft holograms.
    However after tring to use it to do a over-install he got
    the error :-

    "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
    of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
    that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
    If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
    AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
    these files."

    So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
    proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.
    Many thanks

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
    >> think is what they're trying to do)
    >

    > Rick,
    >
    > That's what appears to be happening here and something that I thought
    > was possible however not having an OEM CD to hand I'm not in a position
    > to test this myself. I can't help but wonder though what would happen
    > if the OP was to run setup from the windows\options\install folder
    > having, of course, first dealt with any potential IE6 and WMP9 problems.

    I've a 95 OEM but haven't any use for it so won't test it. (my ME is u/g)

    Rick

    John Corliss wrote:
    > My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
    > for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
    > sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.

    could be... gives me something to do later on today then.

    Rick

    > Rick T wrote:
    >
    >> Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or
    >> so) drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both
    >> the manufacturer and the drive model.
    >>
    >> Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
    >> formatting)
    >>

    >> Rick
    >>
    >> PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
    >> helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
    >> around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.
    >>

    >> John Corliss wrote:

    >>> Every time I've seen this done, it creates more problems than it
    >>> solves. One reason is because the registry goes back to the original
    >>> state with no settings for the programs you've installed. It's best
    >>> to simply back up your data files (don't forget email you've
    >>> archived), take note of any settings and tweaks, then low level
    >>> format the drive, reinstall Windows and all of your programs. After
    >>> you're done doing this, go to Windows update and get the system up to
    >>> snuff in that regard.
    >>>
    >>> Before doing any of this though, if you have a secondary hard drive
    >>> that's not RAID (http://www.acnc.com/raid.html), then you can clone
    >>> your old drive (or simply any files you don't want to lose) to it and
    >>> restore all your data files from there. Obviously, this isn't a good
    >>> idea if you're dealing with an unknown virus.
    >>>
    >>> You won't believe how much better the system will run after doing
    >>> this. In fact, my computer is long overdue for a total reinstall.
    >>> It's just that I'm such an OS tweaker and it's hard to get all that
    >>> back......

    "Official windows ME disk". OK, but is it an OEM disk or a Microsoft one?
    What exactly does the label on the CD say? Does it mention something like
    "Only to be sold with a new PC"? If yes then it is an OEM CD.

    Microsoft CDs come in various forms, full (allowing clean installs as well
    as upgrades) and upgrade of which there are two versions, one requiring
    the user to either upgrade from a supported OS (DOS, Win 95 or Win 98) or
    have a CD for one of these systems and the second, more limited, upgrade
    version that only works with Win 98SE.

    OEM CDs however can only be used to clean install the operating system and
    that is very much what appears to be the case here. Was the CD supplied
    with the PC? If so then it is likely to be an OEM version. OEM versions
    are far less expensive to the manufacturers than the full Microsoft
    versions not only because of the installation limitations but also because
    the OEM rather than Microsoft are responsible for all subsequent support.

    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer.

    > So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
    > proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.

    Did you read Noel Paton's site as suggested by Jack? Have you tried
    running setup from the windows\options\install location as I have
    suggested? You will only lose contents of the hard disk if you format
    and/or re-partition the hard disk or use a "recovery" CD however that
    latter doesn't appear to be the case here. Recovery CDs are CDs produced
    by computer manufacturers that contain an image of the system as first
    delivered and this image is copied to the hard disk when the recovery CD
    is run.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > The disc we are using is an official windows ME disc
    > complete with key-code and the usual microsoft holograms.
    > However after tring to use it to do a over-install he got
    > the error :-
    >
    > "Your computer already has an OS installed. This version
    > of set up is designed for PC's that don't. Its recommended
    > that you exit, reboot from your hard drive and run setup.
    > If you contine with this set up ur current CONFIG.SYS &
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT files will be replaced by basic versions of
    > these files."
    >
    > So does this mean he will lose everything or can we
    > proceed - or does anybody have other suggestions.

    Mike,
    sorry to sound stupid, but I/we are a novices when it
    comes to this kind of stuff.
    So to sumerise :-

    I have checked with him and it does seem (as you thought)
    that the disk he is using is infact a OEM as it does state
    on the disk only to be distributed with a new pc and in
    smaller letters 'Microsoft products are licensed to
    OEM's......".
    So if I get him to Right click start - Explore - Windows -
    Options - Install Location we could be able to do a re-
    install without losing info already on his hard drive???
    or am I missing the point???
    Thanks for info so far Mike
    regards

    Anthony.

    Before you do anything further PLEASE PLEASE read the page that Jack
    referred you to in his initial reply to your query -
    http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm.

    If reinstalling Win Me over itself it is ESSENTIAL, if Internet Explorer 6
    has been installed, to first remove IE6 and Noel's site has a link to a
    small program that will help you do this. Further if Windows Media Player
    9 has been installed it is also ESSENTIAL to rename the file wmploc.dll to
    wmploc.old. The reason being that if WMP9's version of wmploc.dll is
    present during the reinstall setup will throw up an error mentioning verx
    and if IE6 is present Internet Explorer will become a total mess due to
    the reinstall attempting to install IE5.5.

    Best of luck with the re-install.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Mike,
    > sorry to sound stupid, but I/we are a novices when it
    > comes to this kind of stuff.
    > So to sumerise :-
    >
    > I have checked with him and it does seem (as you thought)
    > that the disk he is using is infact a OEM as it does state
    > on the disk only to be distributed with a new pc and in
    > smaller letters 'Microsoft products are licensed to
    > OEM's......".
    > So if I get him to Right click start - Explore - Windows -
    > Options - Install Location we could be able to do a re-
    > install without losing info already on his hard drive???
    > or am I missing the point???
    > Thanks for info so far Mike

    Mike,
    Thanks for info, I did have a quick look at Jack's page a
    although it look a liite 'out of my league' I will try and
    help my friend through it. The problem also being is that
    he can't get access to the internet whilst he has this
    problem so a 'fix it' programe to find/change the IE6.
    Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
    what version of IE he is using??
    also
    How can he check what version of WMP he has got??
    if neither of the above are present and we can't get him a
    start up disc, will your suggestion of Explore - Windows -
    >> Options - Install Location help him with a re-
    install ???
    sorry again to sound 'basic' but hey we are new to this!!
    many thanks again for ur help/patience

    Open Internet Explorer and then click Help | About Internet Explorer

    > How can he check what version of WMP he has got??

    Same procedure, Open Windows Media Player and then click Help | About
    Windows Media Player

    Startup Disk. This could be awkward if he doesn't have a startup disk but
    this shouldn't stop him booting to Safe Mode and trying to run setup from
    there. Setup.exe should be found in the windows\options\install folder.

    > The problem also being is that
    > he can't get access to the internet

    What worries me here is that reinstalling Win Me won't necessarily fix
    this problem especially so if this is the result of unwanted malware.
    Personally I feel your friend should try and get himself a copy of LSPFix
    (http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm) and see if his problem is due to a
    compromised winsock stack. Fixing that would get him back on the net and
    possibly in a better position to proceed.

    Best of luck to you both,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    anthony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Mike,
    > Thanks for info, I did have a quick look at Jack's page a
    > although it look a liite 'out of my league' I will try and
    > help my friend through it. The problem also being is that
    > he can't get access to the internet whilst he has this
    > problem so a 'fix it' programe to find/change the IE6.
    > Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
    > what version of IE he is using??
    > also
    > How can he check what version of WMP he has got??
    > if neither of the above are present and we can't get him a
    > start up disc, will your suggestion of Explore - Windows -
    > - Options - Install Location help him with a re-
    > install ???
    > sorry again to sound 'basic' but hey we are new to this!!
    > many thanks again for ur help/patience

    Anthony, Mike has done a fine job of explaining the hazards of a casual
    reinstallation of WinME when IE6 and WMp9 have been installed. You do not
    want to make any mistakes --- or your present problems may seem trivial by
    comparison. You must read carefully Noel's excellent instructions until you
    understand what must be done.

    I concur with Mike and recommend attempting a repair of the current
    installation first before proceeding.
    Describe the current problems, and we will try to help you.

    If you do decide to reinstall, consider carefully the pros and cons of a
    "clean" vs. a "in-place" reinstallation, esp. since you have a OEM CD. Ask
    for advice here.
    --
    > > Question - is there a quick easy way in safe mode to check
    > > what version of IE he is using??
    >
    > Open Internet Explorer and then click Help | About Internet Explorer

    <SNIP>
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be enough
    to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> My understanding was that you should download the manufacturer's utility
    >> for doing a low level format and do it. This takes care of any boot
    >> sector viruses if any exist. I do it on mine.
    >
    > could be... gives me something to do later on today then.
    >
    > Rick
    >>
    >> Rick T wrote:
    >>
    >>> Don't low-level format the drive. Modern (as in the past decade or so)
    >>> drives are already optimally LLF'd in a manner proprietary to both the
    >>> manufacturer and the drive model.
    >>>
    >>> Do, however, use the DOS Format command to format (a higher level
    >>> formatting)
    >>>

    >>> Rick
    >>>
    >>> PS: John, creating and updating when necessary a "mysystemconfig.txt"
    >>> helps alot when you're trying to remember just what you did last time
    >>> around. PITA to set up of course but gold when you need it.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be enough
    > to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!

    My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
    faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Manufacturer's utilities are indeed the preferred media - BUT!!!
    most users are not (perhaps) savvy enough to
    1) discover their HD manufacturer/vendor
    2) use the (perhaps complex) software that such manufacturers provide to do
    the job.

    in 25 years, I've never used a low-level format yet - and I never expect to
    (even if attempting to revive a 'dead' HD).
    I use FDISK regularly - and only once has it failed me, when a XP install
    decided that it wanted to convert the OS partition to NTFS while it was
    running from the HD, and the owner killed the process.

    There is NO way around formatting a drive - it just seems that it happens
    quicker in the OEM DOS than in FDISK - and then you lose time later in the
    process (or lose the verification during the process). If the HD is good,
    you may win - if the HD has more than a couple of bad sectors, then you may
    lose not only time, but data!!.
    ..

    --

    "John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be
    >> enough to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!
    >
    > My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
    > faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.
    >
    > --
    > Regards from John Corliss
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > Manufacturer's utilities are indeed the preferred media - BUT!!!
    > most users are not (perhaps) savvy enough to
    > 1) discover their HD manufacturer/vendor
    > 2) use the (perhaps complex) software that such manufacturers provide to do
    > the job.

    Absolutely not my experience at all. My new Seagate got LLFed with their
    utility and nothing could have been easier to use.

    > in 25 years, I've never used a low-level format yet - and I never expect to
    > (even if attempting to revive a 'dead' HD).

    YMMV.

    > I use FDISK regularly - and only once has it failed me, when a XP install
    > decided that it wanted to convert the OS partition to NTFS while it was
    > running from the HD, and the owner killed the process.

    I agree that it works and I've used it before too. Wasn't that hard either.

    > There is NO way around formatting a drive - it just seems that it happens
    > quicker in the OEM DOS than in FDISK - and then you lose time later in the
    > process (or lose the verification during the process). If the HD is good,
    > you may win - if the HD has more than a couple of bad sectors, then you may
    > lose not only time, but data!!.

    True. I was referring to a known good HD, not one with bad sectors.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John Corliss wrote:
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >
    >> Simply rewriting the MBR , as when partitioning the drive, should be
    >> enough to get rid of most if not all BSV's - FDISK is your friend!
    >

    > My experience has always been that the manufacturers' utilities are much
    > faster and simpler to use than MS FDISK and FORMAT.

    a bit of research and it turns out that modern "low level" formatting is
    actually "mid level" formatting, the low-level formatting is done at the
    factory.

    Rick
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Mike M wrote:
    > > Not necessarily a "recovery" CD Jack but an OEM CD certainly as
    these
    > > can only be used to clean install Win Me.
    >
    > ... so an OEM disk can't be used for a "refresh" install? (which I
    think
    > is what they're trying to do)
    >

    > Rick

    My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
    done it!
    Regards Mike.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
    > done it!

    That's good to read Mike and puts Fujitsu Siemens up there with the "good
    'uns". :-) I just wish more OEMs would include that option.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M wrote:
    > Mike Cawood, HND BIT <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >> My OEM Win ME will do a "refresh" install (Fujitsu Siemens PC), I've
    >> done it!
    >

    > That's good to read Mike and puts Fujitsu Siemens up there with the
    > "good 'uns". :-) I just wish more OEMs would include that option.

    I think we may be back to defining "OEM CD"... the one I have (95) is a
    M$ published CD with the "Only to be sold with a New PC" on it.

    Rick

Windows Me Microsoft Windows