Restore Points keep disappearing

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 16, 2005 1:01:49 AM

Hi All..........

All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I make
special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........

Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?

TIA
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:13:25 AM

Some questions please:
How much space do you have allocated to the restore archive? Check the
slider located at System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk.
How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive? To see this properly you will
however forest have to enable the proper viewing of such a folder by
checking the box "Show hidden files and folders" and UNchecking the box
"Hide protected operating system files" found at Control Panel | Folder
Options | View.
How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
What if any third party clean-up utilities are you using, especially those
that run as the system first boots?

Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
adequate. I would be very concerned about the reliability of restoring a
system back more than around a week at most and would instead tend to use
a backup.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi All..........
>
> All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I make
> special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
> April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........
>
> Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:54:51 PM

Hi Mike.........

Thanks much for your time to respond to my problem.......
Here's the answers to your questions, as best I can........

> How much space do you have allocated to the restore archive?
It shows it's set at MAX, and right above it shows 7034MB

> How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive?
I don't know about that. I have a C:_Restore "folder", and in it are 4
files, DISKCFG.DAT=1KB, SRDISKID.DAT=1KB, VxDMon.cfg=1KB, and
VxDMon.dat=62KB. Is this what you're asking about? There is no C:\RESTORE
file by that name.

> How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
The calendar shows 2or3 every day since April 3, but the calendar will not
step back into march where I know I set some manually.
AND, as a side note, just because it shows a restore point, don't mean that
it's there when you go to use it, ....I've had MANY fail in the
past.....zero confidence factor there........and HEY, this is the main
reason I bought Me in the first place, huh?

> What if any third party clean-up utilities are you using, especially those
> that run as the system first boots?
I don't know of any. I do have one thing that reclaims memory, called
RAMpage, does that count? I have noticed a gradual slowdown in my system
performance, like something was running in the background consuming
resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would think a "clean-up
utility" would do.

> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
> adequate
I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are concerned, but
when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect it to be there when I
go back.....it's not. I do not like for the Operating System to "clean
things up" for me without my permission or at least notice. Do I need to
engage a third party "Restorer" in order to accomplish this?

Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make your
instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most appreciated.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All..........
> >
> > All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I make
> > special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
> > April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........
> >
> > Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?

April 16, 2005 7:04:43 PM

CLR
To find the size of the archive (which includes all the files you mentioned,
plus probably a few hundred more!!!).....
r-click on the C:\_Restore folder icon, and select Properties
list the number of files, and the size on disk.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike.........
>
> Thanks much for your time to respond to my problem.......
> Here's the answers to your questions, as best I can........
>
>> How much space do you have allocated to the restore archive?
> It shows it's set at MAX, and right above it shows 7034MB
>
>> How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive?
> I don't know about that. I have a C:_Restore "folder", and in it are 4
> files, DISKCFG.DAT=1KB, SRDISKID.DAT=1KB, VxDMon.cfg=1KB, and
> VxDMon.dat=62KB. Is this what you're asking about? There is no
> C:\RESTORE
> file by that name.
>
>> How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
> The calendar shows 2or3 every day since April 3, but the calendar will not
> step back into march where I know I set some manually.
> AND, as a side note, just because it shows a restore point, don't mean
> that
> it's there when you go to use it, ....I've had MANY fail in the
> past.....zero confidence factor there........and HEY, this is the main
> reason I bought Me in the first place, huh?
>
>> What if any third party clean-up utilities are you using, especially
>> those
>> that run as the system first boots?
> I don't know of any. I do have one thing that reclaims memory, called
> RAMpage, does that count? I have noticed a gradual slowdown in my system
> performance, like something was running in the background consuming
> resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would think a
> "clean-up
> utility" would do.
>
>> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
>> adequate
> I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are concerned,
> but
> when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect it to be there when
> go back.....it's not. I do not like for the Operating System to "clean
> things up" for me without my permission or at least notice. Do I need
> engage a third party "Restorer" in order to accomplish this?
>
> Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make your
> instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most appreciated.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

>> --
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All..........
>> >
>> > All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I make
>> > special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
>> > April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........
>> >
>> > Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:04:44 PM

Hi Noel...........

Thanks for the info.......
_RESTORE file size shows 315MB, containing 78 Files, 5 Folders....following
your instructions........but they don't show up in my Explorer
window.....even tho I checked "Show hidden files and folders"......I don't
understand that part.......

As for getting rid of RAMpage, I will do that.......Thanks for the
heads-up........oh yeah, I also have another thing called PCBooster I
installed a short while ago........I don't associate it with my current
problem because it's only been there as short while, but is it bad like
RAMPage?...........and how about NortonAntiVirus........I never did like
that but don't know what else to use since I don't like the McAffee thing
either.........what do you recommend with Me for AntiVirus?

Thanks again for your help,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> [...]
> > performance, like something was running in the background consuming
> > resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would think a
> > "clean-up
> > utility" would do.
> >
> >> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
> >> adequate
> > I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are concerned,
> > but
> > when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect it to be there
when
> > go back.....it's not. I do not like for the Operating System to "clean
> > things up" for me without my permission or at least notice. Do I need
> > engage a third party "Restorer" in order to accomplish this?
> >
> > Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make your
> > instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most

April 16, 2005 7:09:35 PM

OH MY!!!!
RAMPage is pure snake-oil - and is more likely to kill ME than to assist in
its good working - for your PC's health it should be uninstalled.

System Restore works on a FIFO (First In First Out) system - therefore it
will remove any old points which cause the system to overflow the allowed
space.
It is NOT a backup substitute - merely a get-out-of-jail-free card for when
the system claps you in irons :)

If you want backups, then you should keep them using third-party solutions -
preferably offsite to ensure recovery prospects in case of destruction of
the hardware!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike.........
>
> Thanks much for your time to respond to my problem.......
> Here's the answers to your questions, as best I can........
>
>> How much space do you have allocated to the restore archive?
> It shows it's set at MAX, and right above it shows 7034MB
>
>> How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive?
> I don't know about that. I have a C:_Restore "folder", and in it are 4
> files, DISKCFG.DAT=1KB, SRDISKID.DAT=1KB, VxDMon.cfg=1KB, and
> VxDMon.dat=62KB. Is this what you're asking about? There is no
> C:\RESTORE
> file by that name.
>
>> How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
> The calendar shows 2or3 every day since April 3, but the calendar will not
> step back into march where I know I set some manually.
> AND, as a side note, just because it shows a restore point, don't mean
> that
> it's there when you go to use it, ....I've had MANY fail in the
> past.....zero confidence factor there........and HEY, this is the main
> reason I bought Me in the first place, huh?
>
>> What if any third party clean-up utilities are you using, especially
>> those
>> that run as the system first boots?
> I don't know of any. I do have one thing that reclaims memory, called
> RAMpage, does that count? I have noticed a gradual slowdown in my system
> performance, like something was running in the background consuming
> resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would think a
> "clean-up
> utility" would do.
>
>> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
>> adequate
> I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are concerned,
> but
> when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect it to be there when
> go back.....it's not. I do not like for the Operating System to "clean
> things up" for me without my permission or at least notice. Do I need
> engage a third party "Restorer" in order to accomplish this?
>
> Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make your
> instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most appreciated.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

>> --
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All..........
>> >
>> > All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I make
>> > special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
>> > April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........
>> >
>> > Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:48:07 PM

>> How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive?
> I don't know about that. I have a C:_Restore "folder", and in it are
> 4 files, DISKCFG.DAT=1KB, SRDISKID.DAT=1KB, VxDMon.cfg=1KB, and
> VxDMon.dat=62KB. Is this what you're asking about? There is no
> C:\RESTORE file by that name.

I need to know the total size of the C:\_RESTORE folder. My original post
explained how first you needed to configure Explorer to see the contents
of this folder. Unless you do that you will not be able to establish the
total space used by this folder and its five sub-folders.

>> How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
> The calendar shows 2or3 every day since April 3, but the calendar
> will not step back into march where I know I set some manually.
> AND, as a side note, just because it shows a restore point, don't
> mean that it's there when you go to use it, ....I've had MANY fail in
> the past.....zero confidence factor there........and HEY, this is the
> main reason I bought Me in the first place, huh?

It appears you may have failed to read my post. System Restore is not a
backup application and two or three checkpoints a day going back to April
3 is plenty enough. On a properly maintained system there should be ZERO
failure when using system restore.

> I don't know of any. I do have one thing that reclaims memory, called
> RAMpage, does that count? I

RAMpage will certainly make the use of Win Me worse but shouldn't cause
loss of checkpoints. However until you tell us how large the C:\_RESTORE
folder is we have yet to establish whether you have lost any checkpoints.
Remember the infinitely large hard drive has yet to be invented and until
then older checkpoints will have to be deleted to make room for newer.

> I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are
> concerned, but when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect
> it to be there when I go back.....

It appears you may not understand the purpose of system restore or how it
works. It is NOT a replacement for a proper backup strategy. There is no
difference between an automatic checkpoint and a manual one other than
that you know the exact state of the system when the manual checkpoint was
made.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike.........
>
> Thanks much for your time to respond to my problem.......
> Here's the answers to your questions, as best I can........
>
>> How much space do you have allocated to the restore archive?
> It shows it's set at MAX, and right above it shows 7034MB
>
>> How large is the C:\_RESTORE archive?
> I don't know about that. I have a C:_Restore "folder", and in it are
> 4 files, DISKCFG.DAT=1KB, SRDISKID.DAT=1KB, VxDMon.cfg=1KB, and
> VxDMon.dat=62KB. Is this what you're asking about? There is no
> C:\RESTORE file by that name.
>
>> How many checkpoints do you have currently available?
> The calendar shows 2or3 every day since April 3, but the calendar
> will not step back into march where I know I set some manually.
> AND, as a side note, just because it shows a restore point, don't
> mean that it's there when you go to use it, ....I've had MANY fail in
> the past.....zero confidence factor there........and HEY, this is the
> main reason I bought Me in the first place, huh?
>
>> What if any third party clean-up utilities are you using, especially
>> those that run as the system first boots?
> I don't know of any. I do have one thing that reclaims memory, called
> RAMpage, does that count? I have noticed a gradual slowdown in my
> system performance, like something was running in the background
> consuming resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would
> think a "clean-up utility" would do.
>
>> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
>> adequate
> I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are
> concerned, but when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect
> it to be there when I go back.....it's not. I do not like for the
> Operating System to "clean things up" for me without my permission or
> at least notice. Do I need to engage a third party "Restorer" in
> order to accomplish this?
>
> Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make
> your instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most
> appreciated.
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

>> --
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All..........
>>>
>>> All of my Restore points keep disappearing........even the ones I
>>> make special.........I have nothing from March now, only some in
>>> April...........the calendar won't even switch to March.........
>>>
>>> Is this ordinary?..........if not, any ideas on how to fix it?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:48:08 PM

Hi Mike.......

You're right, of course........I do apologize.......I've gotten in that bad
habit of starting to read what somebody writes and then thinking "I know
what they're saying" and running off and doing my thing without actually
reading the rest of what they wrote........I must stop that.........thanks
for gently pointing it out.

I went back and followed your instructions and lo and behold, it worked like
you said it would<g>.
So the answer this time is, 315MB for the RESTORE folder size.

I don't mind the Operating System think for me and doing things to make
things better, what I don't like is it doing it without permission or even
mentioning it.........NOTHING (IMHO), justifies the Operating System undoing
something I do on purpose, like setting a special Restore Point, without at
least notifying the operator what has been done, or better yet, Warning them
that it SHOULD be done........but I'm not here to argue how Me should have
been done, only to learn how it is, and for that I do appreciate your time
and information.

You say that "On a properly maintained system there should be ZERO failure
when using system restore".......true, if we're to have any confidence in
it...........but exactly how does one determine if their system is "properly
maintained" and how might we be notified if that state deterioates?

I do appreciate your help, I've learned a great deal so far...........
Thanks again,
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> [...]
> > RAMpage, does that count? I have noticed a gradual slowdown in my
> > system performance, like something was running in the background
> > consuming resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would
> > think a "clean-up utility" would do.
> >
> >> Personally I consider a week's worth of checkpoints to be more than
> >> adequate
> > I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are
> > concerned, but when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect
> > it to be there when I go back.....it's not. I do not like for the
> > Operating System to "clean things up" for me without my permission or
> > at least notice. Do I need to engage a third party "Restorer" in
> > order to accomplish this?
> >
> > Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make
> > your instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most

April 16, 2005 7:57:24 PM

Mike M wrote:

> It appears you may not understand the purpose of system restore or how
> it works. It is NOT a replacement for a proper backup strategy.

Seconded; SR backs up OS *system* files and OS system files only; a
backup strategy is for backing up *data* files and (should) ignore
system files.

Rick
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:30:50 PM

"what do you recommend with Me for AntiVirus"
Anything that doesn't have the word Norton attched!<g>
I personally use AVG Free on ME.

WRT PC Booster, I've no personal experience of using it, but the BS on
InKlineGlobal's website doesn't inspire with fellow-feeling!<g>
I rather suspect that the software is a mish-mash of standard tweaks wrapped
up in an impressive GUI, with a number-generator that is guaranteed to give
the results you paid for.
Since they appear to expect me to pay for something before I've had a chance
to see it running, let alone test-drive it, I'll forgo the honour, and leave
it up to you as to whether you think $30 for software (which is probably
only an overlay to existing access points), to avoid having to learn a
little about your OS, is good value-for-money and/or worth having.

--

> [...]
> system
>> > performance, like something was running in the background consuming
>> > resources, but it's sure not helping things like you would think a
>> > "clean-up
>> > utility" would do.

>> > I tend to agree as far as the "automatic" restore points are concerned,
>> > but
>> > when I set an intentional one with comments, I expect it to be there
> when
>> > go back.....it's not. I do not like for the Operating System to "clean
>> > things up" for me without my permission or at least notice. Do I
>> > need
>> > engage a third party "Restorer" in order to accomplish this?
>> >
>> > Again, thanks much for responding, and for taking the time to make your
>> > instructions clear and easy to follow..........that was most

April 16, 2005 8:30:51 PM

Thanks Noel..........
I'm learning more as I go along..........I had tried AVG some time ago and
wound up dropping them in favor of Norton.......don't remember why but I was
in communication with AVG and for some reason we didn't see eye to eye, so I
left.......maybe things would be better now.....

I'll probably wind up dropping the PCBooster thing also.........I don't
realize much benefit from it.

Thanks again for your responses
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> [...]
> > installed a short while ago........I don't associate it with my current
> > problem because it's only been there as short while, but is it bad like
> > RAMPage?...........and how about NortonAntiVirus........I never did like
> > that but don't know what else to use since I don't like the McAffee
thing
> > either.........what do you recommend with Me for AntiVirus?
> >
> > Thanks again for your help,
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> CLR
> >> To find the size of the archive (which includes all the files you
> > mentioned,
> >> plus probably a few hundred more!!!).....
> >> r-click on the C:\_Restore folder icon, and select Properties
> >> list the number of files, and the size on disk.

April 16, 2005 9:20:49 PM

> So the answer this time is, 315MB for the RESTORE folder size.

So yes, you do appear to be losing checkpoints and their associated data
files earlier than might be expected given that you have allocated 7034MB
to the archive.

What applications and tools do you have being launched each time you boot
your system other than those that are part of Win Me? Using MSConfig |
Startup or System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs
will help you here.

Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do you
have and can the different systems "see" each other?

Does you system have more than one hard drive? Do you have any removable
hard disk drives?

> NOTHING (IMHO), justifies
> the Operating System undoing something I do on purpose, like setting
> a special Restore Point,

You still don't seem to understand the purpose of system restore or how it
works. Until infinitely large hard disks become available system restore
will always discard older checkpoints to make room for new REGARDLESS of
whether those checkpoints were created automatically or manually. The
reason being, and I know I am repeating myself, is because system restore
is NOT a backup but instead what is called a state manager. For a
historic checkpoint to be still available a complete 100% archive of every
state change made to the system since that checkpoint was created has to
be archived. Over time this would mean that you would have not to store
megabytes of even gigabytes of data but rather terabytes or even exabytes
so as to be able to undo all the changes and return to that checkpoint.
Meanwhile that backup sitting on a DVD-R might be just a few GB in size.
Hence the space allocated to the archive together with the volume of
changes (measured in bytes) over time dictates how many checkpoints will
ever be available at any one particular time.

> You say that "On a properly maintained system there should be ZERO
> failure when using system restore".......true, if we're to have any
> confidence in it...........but exactly how does one determine if
> their system is "properly maintained" and how might we be notified if
> that state deterioates?

That's relatively easy. Ensure that the 290700 hotfix is installed and
don't install any malware from Symantec especially NAV, NSW, NIS and
LiveUpdate. Don't use registry cleaners without knowing exactly what it
is you are removing and its purpose and steer well clear of third party
utilities, especially those peddling snake oil, unless you know exactly
what you and they are doing, and how to repair any problems they might
create.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike.......
>
> You're right, of course........I do apologize.......I've gotten in
> that bad habit of starting to read what somebody writes and then
> thinking "I know what they're saying" and running off and doing my
> thing without actually reading the rest of what they wrote........I
> must stop that.........thanks for gently pointing it out.
>
> I went back and followed your instructions and lo and behold, it
> worked like you said it would<g>.
> So the answer this time is, 315MB for the RESTORE folder size.
>
> I don't mind the Operating System think for me and doing things to
> make things better, what I don't like is it doing it without
> permission or even mentioning it.........NOTHING (IMHO), justifies
> the Operating System undoing something I do on purpose, like setting
> a special Restore Point, without at least notifying the operator what
> has been done, or better yet, Warning them that it SHOULD be
> done........but I'm not here to argue how Me should have been done,
> only to learn how it is, and for that I do appreciate your time and
> information.
>
> You say that "On a properly maintained system there should be ZERO
> failure when using system restore".......true, if we're to have any
> confidence in it...........but exactly how does one determine if
> their system is "properly maintained" and how might we be notified if
> that state deterioates?
>
> I do appreciate your help, I've learned a great deal so far...........
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:20:50 PM

Ok Mike, your patience is starting to wear me thin<G>, that is to say, I do
believe you are starting to get through to me. I now appreciate the
difference between a backup and RESTORE. .....thanks.

> What applications and tools do you have being launched each time you boot
> your system other than those that are part of Win Me?
I went to Start > Run > msconfig > StartupTab and there is a zillion of them
there, (actually 35 with checks), HotsyncManager for my PDA and a couple of
others I recognize by name but many I don't understand........I did un-check
RAMpage tho....Thats another gripe, these programs put these things in here
without even asking my permission.........bummer!

> Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do you
> have and can the different systems "see" each other?
No multi-booting going on here.......strictly a legal copy of WinMe
only.....I have XP but do not like the way it performs at work so have not
installed it at home..

> Does you system have more than one hard drive? Do you have any removable
> hard disk drives?
Yes, yes.......I have two hard drives, both on plug-in chassis, and recently
I started using a 4GB USB Jump Drive........(I love it)......

> > NOTHING (IMHO), justifies the Operating System undoing something I do on
purpose, like
>> setting a special Restore Point, without at least a warning or
notification.
Even tho you made clear the difference between backup and RESTORE, I still
feel this way tho.....(the Devil made me say that)

> >Ensure that the 290700 hotfix is installed
How might I go about this?

> don't install any malware from Symantec especially NAV, NSW, NIS and
> LiveUpdate.
I guess here I just will have to flush Norton, huh?...........Noel
recommended AVG, what do you think? I tried them some time ago and don't
remember the circumstances but wound up dropping them and going back to
(ugh) Norton.

> Don't use registry cleaners without knowing exactly what it
> is you are removing and its purpose and steer well clear of third party
> utilities, especially those peddling snake oil, unless you know exactly
> what you and they are doing, and how to repair any problems they might
> create.
I don't do registry cleaners yet, wish I knew how........
How does one tell how many snakes in a third party utility?

Thanks again for your time, patience, and information.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike.......
> >
> > You're right, of course........I do apologize.......I've gotten in
> > that bad habit of starting to read what somebody writes and then
> > thinking "I know what they're saying" and running off and doing my
> > thing without actually reading the rest of what they wrote........I
> > must stop that.........thanks for gently pointing it out.
> >
> > I went back and followed your instructions and lo and behold, it
> > worked like you said it would<g>.
> > So the answer this time is, 315MB for the RESTORE folder size.
> >
> > I don't mind the Operating System think for me and doing things to
> > make things better, what I don't like is it doing it without
> > permission or even mentioning it.........NOTHING (IMHO), justifies
> > the Operating System undoing something I do on purpose, like setting
> > a special Restore Point, without at least notifying the operator what
> > has been done, or better yet, Warning them that it SHOULD be
> > done........but I'm not here to argue how Me should have been done,
> > only to learn how it is, and for that I do appreciate your time and
> > information.
> >
> > You say that "On a properly maintained system there should be ZERO
> > failure when using system restore".......true, if we're to have any
> > confidence in it...........but exactly how does one determine if
> > their system is "properly maintained" and how might we be notified if
> > that state deterioates?
> >
> > I do appreciate your help, I've learned a great deal so far...........

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:41:04 PM

CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Ok Mike, your patience is starting to wear me thin<G>, that is to
> say, I do believe you are starting to get through to me. I now
> appreciate the difference between a backup and RESTORE. .....thanks.

Sorry about that. :-)

> I went to Start > Run > msconfig > StartupTab and there is a zillion
> of them there, (actually 35 with checks), HotsyncManager for my PDA
> and a couple of others I recognize by name but many I don't
> understand........I did un-check RAMpage tho....Thats another gripe,
> these programs put these things in here without even asking my
> permission.........bummer!

Probably irrelevant now - see later. However having 35 applications. etc.
being launched each time you boot your PC is likely to cause it to be
sluggish and potentially have other problems as well. You might want to
consider trimming the list somewhat and only launching some of them when
required rather than having them running continually in the background.

A good place to look to for advice as to which programs need to be run at
startup and those that can be safely disabled, is Pacman's site where he
lists what should definitely be retained and which can be safely removed
from the startup axis (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm).
Reducing such applications and only starting them when required can free
up significant resources. Note though that before disabling any
application that you make yourself fully aware of its purpose and
understand what the consequences might be, if any, of disabling it at
start up.

> No multi-booting going on here.......strictly a legal copy of WinMe
> only.....I have XP but do not like the way it performs at work so
> have not installed it at home..

One doesn't have to have illicit copies to multi-boot. :-) This box
multi-boots between XP Pro and XP Pro 64, the one next to it between Win
98SE, Win Me and XP.

> Yes, yes.......I have two hard drives, both on plug-in chassis, and
> recently I started using a 4GB USB Jump Drive........(I love it)......

Now this could well be the cause of the problem. Do you ever remove one
of those hard disks and then start Win Me?

System Restore in Win Me and XP treat the file store differently from each
other. In the case of Win Me it sees it globally and a change to one
drive such as its removal will reset system restore whereas in XP system
restore works on a drive by drive basis and provided it remains enabled on
the system drive any changes on another drive are confined to that drive
alone. In Win Me the entire archive is on the boot drive (usually
C:\_RESTORE) with the _RESTORE folder on other drives containing nothing
more than the single byte file srdiskid.dat which contains a copy of the
last allocated drive letter, whereas in XP each drive's archive is
maintained on the drive concerned in the System Volume Information folder.

Check also that your jump drive is marked as "removable" in System
Properties as otherwise adding and then removing the drive could also
reset system restore. In the Device Manager, open the Properties sheet for
the removable hard disk and click the Settings tab. Is the box labelled
"Removable" checked or unchecked? If checked, uncheck it.

> Even tho you made clear the difference between backup and RESTORE, I
> still feel this way tho.....(the Devil made me say that)
>
>>> Ensure that the 290700 hotfix is installed
> How might I go about this?

You can install this hotfix and others from the Windows Update site. If
however you have at some stage reinstalled Win Me over itself (an in place
reinstall) it is likely that the original broken copy of the file smgr.dll
will have been restored but the Windows Update site is unaware that this
has happened. If you have carried out an in place reinstall of Win Me I
recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you to identify
which patches need to be reinstalled. These patches can then be
downloaded from the Windows Update Catalogue
(http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...).

> I guess here I just will have to flush Norton, huh?...........Noel
> recommended AVG, what do you think? I tried them some time ago and
> don't remember the circumstances but wound up dropping them and going
> back to (ugh) Norton.
>
> I don't do registry cleaners yet, wish I knew how........
> How does one tell how many snakes in a third party utility?

One that offers the impossible. <g> More realistically by checking in
newsgroups such as this and experience.

> Thanks again for your time, patience, and information.....

Regards, my apologies for yet another very long post.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Well now you've done it Mike.......INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!!

Much more knowledge here than I can digest on just one reading, I'll have to
print it out and take it just one "byte" at a time.......Thanks ever so much
for all the imformation, I will do as much of your suggestions as I can, and
will no doubt be back for more help later.

Thanks muchly again and again
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> [...]
> (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you to identify
> which patches need to be reinstalled. These patches can then be
> downloaded from the Windows Update Catalogue
> (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...).
>
> > I guess here I just will have to flush Norton, huh?...........Noel
> > recommended AVG, what do you think? I tried them some time ago and
> > don't remember the circumstances but wound up dropping them and going
> > back to (ugh) Norton.
> >
> > I don't do registry cleaners yet, wish I knew how........
> > How does one tell how many snakes in a third party utility?
>
> One that offers the impossible. <g> More realistically by checking in
> newsgroups such as this and experience.
>
> > Thanks again for your time, patience, and information.....
>
> Regards, my apologies for yet another very long post.

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:15:25 PM

The very best of luck. Please post back with any findings although you
might want to ask any questions you have about entries in MSConfig |
Startup or Windows Update in a new thread.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Well now you've done it Mike.......INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!!
>
> Much more knowledge here than I can digest on just one reading, I'll
> have to print it out and take it just one "byte" at a
> time.......Thanks ever so much for all the imformation, I will do as
> much of your suggestions as I can, and will no doubt be back for more
> help later.
>
> Thanks muchly again and again
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:13:41 AM

CLR

Hi Chuck, glad to see you outside the Excel newsgroup!
You're in good hands with Mike & Noel.

It's a bit more easy going here, not like that highbrow
Excel.

Pop in and see us often!

George Gee

*CLR* has posted this message:

> [...]
>> Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will
>> help you to identify which patches need to be reinstalled. These
>> patches can then be downloaded from the Windows Update Catalogue
>> (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...).
>>
>>> I guess here I just will have to flush Norton, huh?...........Noel
>>> recommended AVG, what do you think? I tried them some time ago and
>>> don't remember the circumstances but wound up dropping them and
>>> going back to (ugh) Norton.
>>>
>>> I don't do registry cleaners yet, wish I knew how........
>>> How does one tell how many snakes in a third party utility?
>>
>> One that offers the impossible. <g> More realistically by checking
>> in newsgroups such as this and experience.
>>
>>> Thanks again for your time, patience, and information.....
>>
>> Regards, my apologies for yet another very long post.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:13:42 AM

Thanks George..........

I've recieved a great deal of easily understandable help here, and it's
really appreciated. And, even before your nice post, I seemed to be
aquiring a "comfortable" feeling here. Thanks for the post and thanks for
the invite......

I'll be BACK........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> it.

> >> You can install this hotfix and others from the Windows Update site.
> >> If however you have at some stage reinstalled Win Me over itself (an
> >> in place reinstall) it is likely that the original broken copy of
> >> the file smgr.dll will have been restored but the Windows Update
> >> site is unaware that this has happened. If you have carried out an
> >> in place reinstall of Win Me I recommend you to download and use the
> >> Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will
> >> help you to identify which patches need to be reinstalled. These
> >> patches can then be downloaded from the Windows Update Catalogue
> >> (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...).

> >> One that offers the impossible. <g> More realistically by checking
> >> in newsgroups such as this and experience.

> >> Regards, my apologies for yet another very long post.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:25:49 AM

Is that where you've been hiding <vbg>
Joan

George Gee wrote:
> CLR
>
> Hi Chuck, glad to see you outside the Excel newsgroup!
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:54:20 AM

Hi Joan

No, not hiding there...
I've been compiling a couple of large database/spreadsheets,
and have helped get two websites up and running, this has taken up a great
deal of my spare time, (after all, this ol' box needs to earn it's keep).

I have not had any problems with this box for ages, seems to coincide with
going over to Firefox, some 9/10 months ago.

I have uninstalled Spybot, (it never did work properly for me)
I have kept Adaware going, but in 30 scans, it has found *zero* 'Recognized
objects'.

I have kept up to date with the best newsgroup, i.e this one,
albeit silently!

The OP 'CLR' is a regular 'helper' at the Excel newsgroup.
He has helped me on several occasions!

I think he is brainier than he makes out!

George Gee

*Joan Archer* has posted this message:

> Is that where you've been hiding <vbg>
> Joan
>
> George Gee wrote:
>> CLR
>>
>> Hi Chuck, glad to see you outside the Excel newsgroup!
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:05:44 AM

<lol> You've been busy then, use Firefox myself and Thunderbird, in fact
just upgraded today to the latest version on both <g>
It is one the the best ng's isn't it, such a lovely lot of nutters <vbg>
Adaware never finds anything for me either <g> have Spywareblaster also.
Mind you I go through a NAT router now that I have a home network with 2
XPSP2 boxes and 1 WinME box all wireless since getting ADSL.
It's nice to see you in here so keep coming back <g>
Joan

George Gee wrote:
> Hi Joan
>
> No, not hiding there...
> I've been compiling a couple of large database/spreadsheets,
> and have helped get two websites up and running, this has taken up a great
> deal of my spare time, (after all, this ol' box needs to earn it's keep).
>
> I have not had any problems with this box for ages, seems to coincide with
> going over to Firefox, some 9/10 months ago.
>
> I have uninstalled Spybot, (it never did work properly for me)
> I have kept Adaware going, but in 30 scans, it has found *zero* 'Recognized
> objects'.
>
> I have kept up to date with the best newsgroup, i.e this one,
> albeit silently!
>
> The OP 'CLR' is a regular 'helper' at the Excel newsgroup.
> He has helped me on several occasions!
>
> I think he is brainier than he makes out!
>

> George Gee
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:21:52 AM

Joan

Thanks for the invite, seems like you've gone hi-tec with your XP SP2's and
ADSL gizmos.
How's the foot these days? <g>

George Gee

*Joan Archer* has posted this message:

> It's nice to see you in here so keep coming back <g>
> Joan
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:53:34 PM

<lol> I blame Mike he bullied me into it (sorry Mike not really) <g>
I've also added one of those multifunction all-in-one printers to join
my colour laser <g>
The foots OK now it's the back that's playing up but I have found a good
chiro who's sorting me out <g>
Joan

George Gee wrote:
> Joan
>
> Thanks for the invite, seems like you've gone hi-tec with your XP SP2's and
> ADSL gizmos.
> How's the foot these days? <g>
>
> George Gee
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:36:04 PM

Joan Archer <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote:

> <lol> I blame Mike he bullied me into it (sorry Mike not really) <g>
> I've also added one of those multifunction all-in-one printers to join
> my colour laser <g>
> The foots OK now it's the back that's playing up but I have found a
> good chiro who's sorting me out <g>

<G> At least it's all working for you Joan! More than unfortunately can
be said for some. :-( <gdrvvf>

Mike
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:43:49 PM

<lol> You're not telling me you have problems are you <vbg>

The networking is going very well, odd times a small voice with the
WinME box shouts "can't get on the Internet" with John informing me "I
couldn't either" no problem just switch off the router wait switch back
on and everyone's happy <g>

Up early aren't you, watching the marathon ?
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> <G> At least it's all working for you Joan! More than unfortunately
> can be said for some. :-( <gdrvvf>
>
> Mike

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:19:53 PM

Umm - I've only had one dose of caffeine so far, but that looks wrong to me,
Mike!
Surely USB drives should be 'checked' as Removable??

--

> CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Check also that your jump drive is marked as "removable" in System
> Properties as otherwise adding and then removing the drive could also
> reset system restore. In the Device Manager, open the Properties sheet for
> the removable hard disk and click the Settings tab. Is the box labelled
> "Removable" checked or unchecked? If checked, uncheck it.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:21:22 PM

Joan Archer <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote:

> <lol> You're not telling me you have problems are you <vbg>

No current problems here Joan although I'm anticipating a big problem or
two coming through the door after lunch (a friend's dead XP Pro box to try
and resurrect - it's a hardware problem not OS). I was more thinking of
the problems encountered by another user of these groups when they tried
to upgrade to XP.

> The networking is going very well, odd times a small voice with the
> WinME box shouts "can't get on the Internet" with John informing me "I
> couldn't either" no problem just switch off the router wait switch
> back on and everyone's happy <g>

I still don't understand why it took you all so long but it's good to read
that you've dragged a bit of Wales into the current century. Talking
about networking took a little stroll round my development last night with
a laptop. Walked past just over 40 flats and houses and picked up seven
wireless networks, 2 WPA secured, 3 WEP and two wide open including their
routers which still had default passwords and names. My wireless network
was off at the time as was the neighbour's with whom I was doing the quick
survey. At least I know I don't have to go very far to get a connection
if mine goes down for any reason.

> Up early aren't you, watching the marathon ?

Early? I've been up for hours. Marathon? What marathon - you referring
to me being on my fourth cup of coffee? <g>

Mike
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:57:22 PM

Mike M wrote

> No current problems here Joan although I'm anticipating a big problem or
> two coming through the door after lunch

Thought you were going to say Claire or Bec then <g>

(a friend's dead XP Pro box to
> try and resurrect - it's a hardware problem not OS). I was more
> thinking of the problems encountered by another user of these groups
> when they tried to upgrade to XP.

Not been around for a couple of days, I wonder why <vbg>

> I still don't understand why it took you all so long but it's good to
> read that you've dragged a bit of Wales into the current century.

<lol> Don't forget Noel's in there as well, but only just before me <g>

> Talking about networking took a little stroll round my development last
> night with a laptop. Walked past just over 40 flats and houses and
> picked up seven wireless networks, 2 WPA secured, 3 WEP and two wide
> open including their routers which still had default passwords and
> names. My wireless network was off at the time as was the neighbour's
> with whom I was doing the quick survey. At least I know I don't have to
> go very far to get a connection if mine goes down for any reason.

Don't have the luxury of a laptop yet, although John keeps mentioning
one now and then <g>

> Early? I've been up for hours. Marathon? What marathon - you
> referring to me being on my fourth cup of coffee? <g>

Only four, a bit slow aren't you, must be on my 6 or 7th now and I've
only been out of bed since about 8.30 <g>
Joan

> Mike

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 4:13:41 PM

Thanks for the correction Noel,

I should, of course, have said:
"Is the box labelled "Removable" checked or unchecked? If UNchecked,
CHECK it."

Clearly not enough black coffee was being drunk by me last night. :-(
Not that anything else stronger had passed my lips of course. <g>
--
Mike

Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Umm - I've only had one dose of caffeine so far, but that looks wrong
> to me, Mike!
> Surely USB drives should be 'checked' as Removable??
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:45:29 PM

<lol> What makes you think that <vbg>
I leave all that accounting stuff to John he knows what he's doing <g>
mind you he has one job on at the moment that's driving him crazy the
books are in such a mess <g>
Good luck with yours and we'll see you when they're finished <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> You guys talking about me?? I am here, but busy doing our income taxes for
> the 30th......among other things.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:54:50 PM

Aren't you the lucky one <vbg> at least with John it's other peoples
taxes and not his <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> Would I ever? <g>
>
> Taxes? Who needs taxes? At least our returns don't have to be in until
> 31 Jan 2006 so I've still got nine months before I need to think about
> making my return. :-)
>
> Cheers,
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:17:33 PM

> ....I prefer to file online (no receipts that way, lol).

Do you mean there is another way? This reminds me of Bec's problem when
trying to file her return last time round. Typically she had left it to
the last minute. She'd done part of her return and then on the morning of
the last day when she went back to complete and file found herself locked
out of the site - I think it was a password problem that then caused the
password to lock. Of course, the IR insist on mailing new passwords so
she was stuck with having to download all the forms she needed, filling
them in manually, depositing her payment and then rushing to the nearest
tax office to physically hand the forms in before they closed. She got
there at around 5 but was relieved to find the office was open until
midnight as it was the last day for filing. When I next saw her she
simply commented that if she had know she had 6 or 7 hours to spare she
wouldn't have rushed - having already waited the best part of ten months!

> Btw.....Elayne is heading your way, but going to Scotland to the
> *ancestral home* and then north to see Norse ruins and stuff.

So is she going to Orkney and/or Shetland?

> She is
> also planning on going to Chester.

I hope Noel has noted this. :-)

Hope all is well - I'll try and write soon,
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Of course!! (G) I have been reading the groups, but not had time to
> reply. Got the other tax program and it is way better....I prefer to
> file online (no receipts that way, lol). Just have to get at this
> other one tomorrow and see if I can lower them to *zero
> owing*......sigh.
>
> Btw.....Elayne is heading your way, but going to Scotland to the
> *ancestral home* and then north to see Norse ruins and stuff. She is
> also planning on going to Chester, after we raved about it so
> much....seems to me that one of our MVP's lives rather close
> by......hmmm.
April 21, 2005 9:23:06 PM

Good thing you are not here in my office.......bloody income tax things. I
do HATE paying, so it requires a lot of .......well, it just does. (G)

I better tell Elayne that she gave me some of her Education Deduction, grin.
Oh well, I do hers as well, so that will be payment.

As for isles in the North of Scotland, not quite sure what all she is
planning on hiking around.....old Norse ruins and whatever else takes her
fancy.

She used to work on archaeology digs in France and Belgium in the summers.
She likes OLD bodies.....so Noel should be just about the right
age.....ROFL!! I guess I am in trouble now......(says she, snickering to
herself)

Cheers....Figgs

news:o fqkWtlRFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > ....I prefer to file online (no receipts that way, lol).
>
> Do you mean there is another way? This reminds me of Bec's problem when
> trying to file her return last time round. Typically she had left it to
> the last minute. She'd done part of her return and then on the morning of
> the last day when she went back to complete and file found herself locked
> out of the site - I think it was a password problem that then caused the
> password to lock. Of course, the IR insist on mailing new passwords so
> she was stuck with having to download all the forms she needed, filling
> them in manually, depositing her payment and then rushing to the nearest
> tax office to physically hand the forms in before they closed. She got
> there at around 5 but was relieved to find the office was open until
> midnight as it was the last day for filing. When I next saw her she
> simply commented that if she had know she had 6 or 7 hours to spare she
> wouldn't have rushed - having already waited the best part of ten months!
>
> > Btw.....Elayne is heading your way, but going to Scotland to the
> > *ancestral home* and then north to see Norse ruins and stuff.
>
> So is she going to Orkney and/or Shetland?
>
> > She is
> > also planning on going to Chester.
>
> I hope Noel has noted this. :-)
>
> Hope all is well - I'll try and write soon,
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Of course!! (G) I have been reading the groups, but not had time to
> > reply. Got the other tax program and it is way better....I prefer to
> > file online (no receipts that way, lol). Just have to get at this
> > other one tomorrow and see if I can lower them to *zero
> > owing*......sigh.
> >
> > Btw.....Elayne is heading your way, but going to Scotland to the
> > *ancestral home* and then north to see Norse ruins and stuff. She is
> > also planning on going to Chester, after we raved about it so
> > much....seems to me that one of our MVP's lives rather close
> > by......hmmm.

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:45:44 AM

I had forewarning of the event - the bunker is just about finished!
:)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

news:o fqkWtlRFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> She is
>> also planning on going to Chester.
>
> I hope Noel has noted this. :-)

April 22, 2005 12:45:45 AM

AHEM!! I am entrusting my only child to your care......so behave!! OTOH,
she has a mean left hook, should she need to use it, lol.

Btw....she is much quieter than I am, but seems to have inherited a wicked
sense of humour....don't know where she got that from!! (VBG)

She is definitely leaving from Manchester.....so you will be hearing from
her, bunker or not!!

Kissies.....Figgs (tearing out my hair trying to *adjust* the damn income
taxes.....almost there)

> I had forewarning of the event - the bunker is just about finished!
> :)
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> news:o fqkWtlRFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> She is
> >> also planning on going to Chester.
> >
> > I hope Noel has noted this. :-)

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 1:39:04 AM

ROFL
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> I had forewarning of the event - the bunker is just about finished!
> :)

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:40:00 PM

That was evil <g> no wonder he's doing a bunker especially if Elayne is
anything like you <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:

> She used to work on archaeology digs in France and Belgium in the summers.
> She likes OLD bodies.....so Noel should be just about the right
> age.....ROFL!! I guess I am in trouble now......(says she, snickering to
> herself)
>
> Cheers....Figgs
April 22, 2005 4:40:01 PM

Oops.......guess it was, but I couldn't resist it......blame it on ME trying
to do the durned taxes....I hate that annual job!! Hate paying an
accountant to do it even more tho.....grin. Tis the Scottish genes!

Heather

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That was evil <g> no wonder he's doing a bunker especially if Elayne is
> anything like you <g>
> Joan
>
> Heather wrote:
>

> > She used to work on archaeology digs in France and Belgium in the
summers.
> > She likes OLD bodies.....so Noel should be just about the right
> > age.....ROFL!! I guess I am in trouble now......(says she, snickering
> > herself)
> >
> > Cheers....Figgs
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:44:00 PM

> She used to work on archaeology digs in France and Belgium in the summers.
> She likes OLD bodies.....so Noel should be just about the right
> age.....

Oh......dear........glad I live this side of the pond... ;o)

Jan :)
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:47:35 AM

Talking about Fossils - how are you?
<eg>

--

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Oops.......guess it was, but I couldn't resist it......blame it on ME
> trying
> to do the durned taxes....I hate that annual job!! Hate paying an
> accountant to do it even more tho.....grin. Tis the Scottish genes!
>
> Heather
>
> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> That was evil <g> no wonder he's doing a bunker especially if Elayne is
>> anything like you <g>
>> Joan
>>
>> Heather wrote:
>>

>> > She used to work on archaeology digs in France and Belgium in the
> summers.
>> > She likes OLD bodies.....so Noel should be just about the right
>> > age.....ROFL!! I guess I am in trouble now......(says she, snickering
>> > herself)
>> >
>> > Cheers....Figgs

April 23, 2005 12:47:36 AM

Touché, mon ami.......ROFL!! Dammmmm glad you have got a good sense of
humour!!

And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his bugs
via email!!

Not to mention our painter screwed up and our garage doors are more towards
the peachy bubble gum colour instead of *terra cotta*. You want to come
over and fix them up?? I hit the bl**dy roof when I saw them......and in a
flat finish to boot!! Ron is in hiding. He picked the colour.

I am so glad you are available to *babysit* my child......grin.

A mild gotcha......Figgs

news:o Dg5hQ3RFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Talking about Fossils - how are you?
> <eg>
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Oops.......guess it was, but I couldn't resist it......blame it on ME
> > trying
> > to do the durned taxes....I hate that annual job!! Hate paying an
> > accountant to do it even more tho.....grin. Tis the Scottish genes!
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> That was evil <g> no wonder he's doing a bunker especially if Elayne is
> >> anything like you <g>
> >> Joan

> > summers.

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:08:29 AM

<lol> I think he just got her back Jan <g>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:

> Oh......dear........glad I live this side of the pond... ;o)
>
> Jan :)
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:08:30 AM

> <lol> I think he just got her back Jan <g>
> Joan

ROFL! So I see....! I'm watching for the tsunami alert!

Jan :)
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 1:08:51 AM

ROFL
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Talking about Fossils - how are you?
> <eg>

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:14:58 PM

nah - just a ripple (raspberry, of course) on the surface of the ocean!

--

"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> <lol> I think he just got her back Jan <g>
>> Joan
>
> ROFL! So I see....! I'm watching for the tsunami alert!
>
> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:19:01 PM

<lol> I think those taxes are getting the better of her the response
didn't quite have the Figgs touch <vbg>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:

> ROFL! So I see....! I'm watching for the tsunami alert!
>
> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:19:02 PM

> <lol> I think those taxes are getting the better of her the response
> didn't quite have the Figgs touch <vbg>
> Joan

Paying taxes has the same affect on me! Thankfully, I've had refunds for
the past few years. Does great things for my disposition the rest of the
year. <G>

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

> Jan Il wrote:
>

>> ROFL! So I see....! I'm watching for the tsunami alert!
>>
>> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:06:24 AM

> And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
> blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his
> bugs
> via email!!

Not another one!! The Loon virus? Are the AV companies aware?

Mart

> Touché, mon ami.......ROFL!! Dammmmm glad you have got a good sense of
> humour!!
>
> And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
> blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his
> bugs
> via email!!
>
> Not to mention our painter screwed up and our garage doors are more
> towards
> the peachy bubble gum colour instead of *terra cotta*. You want to come
> over and fix them up?? I hit the bl**dy roof when I saw them......and in
> flat finish to boot!! Ron is in hiding. He picked the colour.
>
> I am so glad you are available to *babysit* my child......grin.
>
> A mild gotcha......Figgs
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o Dg5hQ3RFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Talking about Fossils - how are you?
>> <eg>
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Oops.......guess it was, but I couldn't resist it......blame it on ME
>> > trying
>> > to do the durned taxes....I hate that annual job!! Hate paying an
>> > accountant to do it even more tho.....grin. Tis the Scottish genes!
>> >
>> > Heather
>> >
>> > "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > summers.
> snickering

April 24, 2005 12:06:25 AM

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
> > blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his
> > bugs
> > via email!!
>
> Not another one!! The Loon virus? Are the AV companies aware?

They will be. I zipped up an email from the Loon and fired it off to
Norton.....bwa ha ha. That will never get analyzed!!

On a serious note, it seems there is some weird sort of eye infection doing
the rounds in my neighbourhood......and I haven't even seen the infectees in
person. Two next door (living 100 miles apart at the time) both came down
with it. Of course, it IS allergy season, which probably aggravates the
problem. All the trees are starting to bud.

Cheers from a REALLY COLD Brampton.......we are expecting SNOW this
weekend!! And here it is almost May!! Temp is about 2C.

Figgs

> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Touché, mon ami.......ROFL!! Dammmmm glad you have got a good sense of
> > humour!!
> >
> > And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
> > blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his
> > bugs
> > via email!!
> >
> > Not to mention our painter screwed up and our garage doors are more
> > towards
> > the peachy bubble gum colour instead of *terra cotta*. You want to come
> > over and fix them up?? I hit the bl**dy roof when I saw them......and
in
> > flat finish to boot!! Ron is in hiding. He picked the colour.
> >
> > I am so glad you are available to *babysit* my child......grin.
> >
> > A mild gotcha......Figgs
> >
> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:o Dg5hQ3RFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> Talking about Fossils - how are you?
> >> <eg>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > snickering

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 12:06:26 AM

Heather wrote:
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>
>>>And I am sort of fine.....feeling a bit a bit *prehistoric* with this
>>>blasted sinus and eye problem/infection. I think the Loon sent me his
>>>bugs
>>>via email!!
>>
>>Not another one!! The Loon virus? Are the AV companies aware?
>

> They will be. I zipped up an email from the Loon and fired it off to
> Norton.....bwa ha ha. That will never get analyzed!!
>
> On a serious note, it seems there is some weird sort of eye infection doing
> the rounds in my neighbourhood......and I haven't even seen the infectees in
> person. Two next door (living 100 miles apart at the time) both came down
> with it. Of course, it IS allergy season, which probably aggravates the
> problem. All the trees are starting to bud.
>
> Cheers from a REALLY COLD Brampton.......we are expecting SNOW this
> weekend!! And here it is almost May!! Temp is about 2C.

but while we wait the (*^%^%*^(*$ rain is making me personally miserable

Rick

!