Maxtor 6Y160M0 array

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have a ASUS K8VSE using Promise RAID for mirroring of 2 Maxtor
6Y160M0.

One of the drives failed, bought a new drive with the same model
number.

But the new drive is reporting a slightly lower capacity than the old
one so I can't rebuild the array.
Old disk = 163925 MB
New Disk = 160041 MB

Any ideas

Did you try to fdisk and format the new drive before trying to rebuild the
Raid? Sometimes the new drives are not partitioned to the Max. You may have
to install it on an IDE channel to do this first and use a WIN98 Startup
disk to boot from and do it from there. I have two of these drives in a
Raid0 mode and they work great.