Network printer and DOS

Hello all,

A question from a network-printing novice:

We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
network via a parallel-printer switch.

We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
printer (Samsung CLP-550N).

However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.

My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.

If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
Ethernet.)

All help appreciated.

- Kim
5 answers Last reply
More about network printer

    Kim2000 <kim2000@fastmail.fm> wrote:

    > We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
    > a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
    > network via a parallel-printer switch.
    >
    > We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
    > printer (Samsung CLP-550N).

    If the 2100M does what you need, you can just add a print server to it
    and it will become a network printer.

    > However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
    > run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
    > format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.
    >
    > My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
    > the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
    > network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
    > CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.

    Probably. See the help for the "net" command:

    net /?
    net capture /? (or net /? capture, I forget)

    > If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
    > using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
    > system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
    > that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
    > both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
    > managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
    > Ethernet.)

    It's printer-specific; dunno about the Samsung. Usually the network
    port works in addition to either parallel or USB. It's possible that
    all three ports will work on that printer. Typically, printer will
    print jobs in the order they are received, regardless of port. The
    client printer driver will determine print queue management features,
    like whether the client will be able to see all of the jobs currently
    queued at the printer, or just those they themselves submitted.

    "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
    > Kim2000 <kim2000@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >
    > > We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
    > > a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
    > > network via a parallel-printer switch.
    > >
    > > We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
    > > printer (Samsung CLP-550N).
    >
    > If the 2100M does what you need, you can just add a print server to it
    > and it will become a network printer.
    >
    > > However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
    > > run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
    > > format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.
    > >
    > > My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
    > > the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
    > > network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
    > > CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.
    >
    > Probably. See the help for the "net" command:
    >
    > net /?
    > net capture /? (or net /? capture, I forget)

    How about:

    net use LPT1 \\servername\sharename

    > > If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
    > > using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
    > > system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
    > > that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
    > > both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
    > > managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
    > > Ethernet.)

    I wouldn't do this, even if you could. If anything I would leave the
    printer attached to the parallel port and share it through windows.

    > It's printer-specific; dunno about the Samsung. Usually the network
    > port works in addition to either parallel or USB. It's possible that
    > all three ports will work on that printer. Typically, printer will
    > print jobs in the order they are received, regardless of port. The
    > client printer driver will determine print queue management features,
    > like whether the client will be able to see all of the jobs currently
    > queued at the printer, or just those they themselves submitted.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Mark

    Thank you, Warren and Mark.

    > net use LPT1 \\servername\sharename

    I turned our current printer into a Windows share and then tried the
    above and, yes, I could print to it over the network from the Dos
    program in question.

    However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.
    This, however, is a minor drawback.

    - Kim

    Kim,

    > However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.

    This happens because your DOS app. do not close the printer port at the end
    of the job, so it's not spooled until Windows reaches the timeout value (or
    the app is closed).

    The best solutions could be to fix the DOS app., but if you cannot, then try
    the following:

    Go to SYSTEM.INI file
    in [386enh] section search [Network]
    if it does not exist enter the following :

    [Network]
    PrintBufTime=10
    [IFSMGR]
    PrintBufTime=10

    This should set the timeout to 10 seconds.

    There is also a solution I found on the net, changing the Windows Registry.
    Please note that I HAVEN'T TESTED IT and take care using RegEdit: it could
    be rather dangerous.

    in REGEDIT ( START->RUN-> REGEDIT )
    click : Hkey_local_machine
    then click : System
    then click : CurrentControlSet
    then click : Control
    somewhere at the bottom of the control list Click: WOW
    Here you should find the LPT_timeout property

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    Hello Davide,

    Thank you for the detailed solutions.

    I will try them out soonest.

    Regards,

    Kim

    "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message news:<xHl5d.8446$N45.214111@twister2.libero.it>...
    > Kim,
    >
    > > However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.
    >
    > This happens because your DOS app. do not close the printer port at the end
    > of the job, so it's not spooled until Windows reaches the timeout value (or
    > the app is closed).
    >
    > The best solutions could be to fix the DOS app., but if you cannot, then try
    > the following:
    >
    > Go to SYSTEM.INI file
    > in [386enh] section search [Network]
    > if it does not exist enter the following :
    >
    > [Network]
    > PrintBufTime=10
    > [IFSMGR]
    > PrintBufTime=10
    >
    > This should set the timeout to 10 seconds.
    >
    > There is also a solution I found on the net, changing the Windows Registry.
    > Please note that I HAVEN'T TESTED IT and take care using RegEdit: it could
    > be rather dangerous.
    >
    > in REGEDIT ( START->RUN-> REGEDIT )
    > click : Hkey_local_machine
    > then click : System
    > then click : CurrentControlSet
    > then click : Control
    > somewhere at the bottom of the control list Click: WOW
    > Here you should find the LPT_timeout property
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Davide Guolo
    > Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    > Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Printers DOS Network Printer Peripherals