Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Network printer and DOS

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 8:42:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello all,

A question from a network-printing novice:

We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
network via a parallel-printer switch.

We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
printer (Samsung CLP-550N).

However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.

My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.

If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
Ethernet.)

All help appreciated.

- Kim

More about : network printer dos

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 6:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Kim2000 <kim2000@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
> a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
> network via a parallel-printer switch.
>
> We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
> printer (Samsung CLP-550N).

If the 2100M does what you need, you can just add a print server to it
and it will become a network printer.

> However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
> run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
> format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.
>
> My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
> the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
> network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
> CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.

Probably. See the help for the "net" command:

net /?
net capture /? (or net /? capture, I forget)

> If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
> using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
> system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
> that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
> both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
> managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
> Ethernet.)

It's printer-specific; dunno about the Samsung. Usually the network
port works in addition to either parallel or USB. It's possible that
all three ports will work on that printer. Typically, printer will
print jobs in the order they are received, regardless of port. The
client printer driver will determine print queue management features,
like whether the client will be able to see all of the jobs currently
queued at the printer, or just those they themselves submitted.

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
September 20, 2004 12:30:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
news:slrnckogrj.hot.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com...
> Kim2000 <kim2000@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > We currently have a small peer-to-peer network running Win98. We have
> > a HP laser printer (2100M) connected to two of the computers on the
> > network via a parallel-printer switch.
> >
> > We are now planning on replacing the existing printer with a network
> > printer (Samsung CLP-550N).
>
> If the 2100M does what you need, you can just add a print server to it
> and it will become a network printer.
>
> > However, we have an old DOS program written in Turbo Pascal that we
> > run on one (and only one) of the systems. It outputs data in PCL
> > format on LPT1 which goes to the HP Printer.
> >
> > My question is: Is it possible to redirect (Capture) the LPT1 port to
> > the network printer so that we can print from the DOS program to the
> > network printer? The data format is not a problem since the Samsung
> > CLP-550N is PCL-compatible.
>
> Probably. See the help for the "net" command:
>
> net /?
> net capture /? (or net /? capture, I forget)

How about:

net use LPT1 \\servername\sharename

>
> > If the above is not possible, can I connect the system to the Samsung
> > using the parallel port (remember, we only use this DOS program on one
> > system) and also have the printer connected to the Ethernet hub so
> > that all systems on the network can use it? Is it possible to have
> > both cables connected to the printer? How is the print queue then
> > managed? (In fact, the Samsung has three connectors: parallel, USB,
> > Ethernet.)

I wouldn't do this, even if you could. If anything I would leave the
printer attached to the parallel port and share it through windows.

>
> It's printer-specific; dunno about the Samsung. Usually the network
> port works in addition to either parallel or USB. It's possible that
> all three ports will work on that printer. Typically, printer will
> print jobs in the order they are received, regardless of port. The
> client printer driver will determine print queue management features,
> like whether the client will be able to see all of the jobs currently
> queued at the printer, or just those they themselves submitted.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

Mark
Related resources
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:20:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thank you, Warren and Mark.

> net use LPT1 \\servername\sharename

I turned our current printer into a Windows share and then tried the
above and, yes, I could print to it over the network from the Dos
program in question.

However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.
This, however, is a minor drawback.

- Kim
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 1:47:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Kim,

> However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.

This happens because your DOS app. do not close the printer port at the end
of the job, so it's not spooled until Windows reaches the timeout value (or
the app is closed).

The best solutions could be to fix the DOS app., but if you cannot, then try
the following:

Go to SYSTEM.INI file
in [386enh] section search [Network]
if it does not exist enter the following :

[Network]
PrintBufTime=10
[IFSMGR]
PrintBufTime=10

This should set the timeout to 10 seconds.

There is also a solution I found on the net, changing the Windows Registry.
Please note that I HAVEN'T TESTED IT and take care using RegEdit: it could
be rather dangerous.

in REGEDIT ( START->RUN-> REGEDIT )
click : Hkey_local_machine
then click : System
then click : CurrentControlSet
then click : Control
somewhere at the bottom of the control list Click: WOW
Here you should find the LPT_timeout property

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
--------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:36:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello Davide,

Thank you for the detailed solutions.

I will try them out soonest.

Regards,

Kim

"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message news:<xHl5d.8446$N45.214111@twister2.libero.it>...
> Kim,
>
> > However, the printout only took place once I exited the Dos program.
>
> This happens because your DOS app. do not close the printer port at the end
> of the job, so it's not spooled until Windows reaches the timeout value (or
> the app is closed).
>
> The best solutions could be to fix the DOS app., but if you cannot, then try
> the following:
>
> Go to SYSTEM.INI file
> in [386enh] section search [Network]
> if it does not exist enter the following :
>
> [Network]
> PrintBufTime=10
> [IFSMGR]
> PrintBufTime=10
>
> This should set the timeout to 10 seconds.
>
> There is also a solution I found on the net, changing the Windows Registry.
> Please note that I HAVEN'T TESTED IT and take care using RegEdit: it could
> be rather dangerous.
>
> in REGEDIT ( START->RUN-> REGEDIT )
> click : Hkey_local_machine
> then click : System
> then click : CurrentControlSet
> then click : Control
> somewhere at the bottom of the control list Click: WOW
> Here you should find the LPT_timeout property
>
> Kind regards,
> Davide Guolo
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
> http://www.guolo.com/printfil
> Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
> http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
> --------------------------------------------------------------
!