Celeron and Me

Hi All........

Is there any pro or con especially about running Me on a Celeron machine?
I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for some actual experience
advice.......

TIA
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

barryg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002

Chuck,

I've been using WinME on a 1.1GHz Celeron for a couple of years.
It's not so much the processor type that is of concern, but the SPEED of the
processor, and the amount of RAM that makes WinME work well. Other factors
also come into play to make tha machine go the best it can. e.g. video card,
hard disk speed, RAM speed, and the list goes on.
My friend has WinME on a Pentium 4 at 1.5GHz, and it runs much slower than
my machine. I'm in the process of adjusting and tweaking it to make it go
"just so".

Out and out processor speed or type is not the only determining factor for
performance.

Do you intend to do a lot of "number intensive" work with your machine e.g.
CAD / CAM?
If the answer is "no", then save yourself some dollars / pounds / pesos /
moolah, and get the Celeron, as long as the Celeron is at least 150MHz (or ME
won't install), and greater than 450MHz (IIRC) for any Multimedia work with
WinME.
The faster the better, but Celeron is OK, and cheaper.

Good luck,

BarryG

In article <ehv1pw6QFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, CLR says...

> Is there any pro or con especially about running Me on a Celeron machine?
> I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for some actual experience
> advice.......

I've got WinME running on two 700 MHz Celerons. Runs fine as long as I don't
push the envelope WRT to RAM (192 MBytes) and graphics (Intel 82810 on the
MB, 1 MByte of RAM stolen from the system).

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ehv1pw6QFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
CLR <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> had this to say:

> Hi All........
>
> Is there any pro or con especially about running Me on a Celeron
> machine? I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for some actual
> experience advice.......
>
> TIA
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3

The Celery Onion isn't that bad really. I have heard a lot of complaints but
have used them here in the past and have had clients who swear by them. Over
the years I've had the occasion to hear complaints about most everything and
usually the fault was at the hands of the end-user and not the hardware
though no matter who the vendor is they'll have a bad product come off the
assembly line eventually.

As has been pointed out the brand isn't that important but rather the speed
as well as the RAM that you have. Keep in mind that ME will work with more
than 512 MB of RAM but requires a bit of tweaking to do so. For the price
that you'll pay for a Celeron you can probably get a much faster AMD if
that's an option for you. Will the upgrade to the celery onion be worth the
expense? In this day and age you can get entirely new systems for very
little money. Perhaps you're best bet would be holding off to buy a brand
new system?

Galen

Thaks Barry.....I appreciate the info........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Chuck,
>
> I've been using WinME on a 1.1GHz Celeron for a couple of years.
> It's not so much the processor type that is of concern, but the SPEED of
the
> processor, and the amount of RAM that makes WinME work well. Other factors
> also come into play to make tha machine go the best it can. e.g. video
card,
> hard disk speed, RAM speed, and the list goes on.
> My friend has WinME on a Pentium 4 at 1.5GHz, and it runs much slower than
> my machine. I'm in the process of adjusting and tweaking it to make it go
> "just so".
>
> Out and out processor speed or type is not the only determining factor for
> performance.
>
> Do you intend to do a lot of "number intensive" work with your machine
e.g.
> CAD / CAM?
> If the answer is "no", then save yourself some dollars / pounds / pesos /
> moolah, and get the Celeron, as long as the Celeron is at least 150MHz (or
ME
> won't install), and greater than 450MHz (IIRC) for any Multimedia work
with
> WinME.
> The faster the better, but Celeron is OK, and cheaper.
>
> Good luck,
>
> BarryG
>
> "CLR" wrote:
>
> > Hi All........
> >
> > Is there any pro or con especially about running Me on a Celeron
machine?
> > I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for some actual experience
> > advice.......
> >
> > TIA
> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3

Thanks Norman,
I appreciate the info..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <ehv1pw6QFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, CLR says...
>
> > Is there any pro or con especially about running Me on a Celeron
machine?
> > I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for some actual experience
> > advice.......
>
> I've got WinME running on two 700 MHz Celerons. Runs fine as long as I
don't
> push the envelope WRT to RAM (192 MBytes) and graphics (Intel 82810 on the
> MB, 1 MByte of RAM stolen from the system).
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Thanks Galen,
I appreciate the info.......and I am thinking of a new machine ranther than
an upgrade.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3