M7NCD Pro and AMD 2500 XP Problem

I built my computer a year ago and everything was working fine till
today when I tried to over clock my computer, saved the BIOS settings
and since then, I'm getting continuous beeps with same intervals.

Here is my system configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 XP
Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro
RAM: KByte 512MB PC3200

I've tried to reset the BIOS through CMOS jumper and by taking the
battery off for more than an hour, didn't work. I've also tried to
take off the RAM and insert it again, same nothing happened. I'm
continuously getting this beep before the POST process as soon as I
turn PC on.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggested solution to this problem.
5 answers Last reply
More about m7ncd 2500 problem

    mohsin.nadeem@gmail.com wrote:

    >I built my computer a year ago and everything was working fine till
    >today when I tried to over clock my computer, saved the BIOS
    >settings and since then, I'm getting continuous beeps with same
    >intervals.
    >CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 XP
    >Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro
    >RAM: KByte 512MB PC3200
    >I've tried to reset the BIOS through CMOS jumper and by taking the
    >battery off for more than an hour, didn't work.

    The only reason to take off the battery is if the battery is bad. It
    probably should be three volts. I think resetting the BIOS jumper is
    enough.

    >I've also tried to take off the RAM and insert it again, same
    >nothing happened. I'm continuously getting this beep before the
    >POST process as soon as I turn PC on.

    Consult your mainboard manual to determine what the beeps mean.

    When you get really frustrated, you strip the computer of everything
    except what is absolutely necessary. ... monitor
    .... PCI video card
    .... mainboard
    .... CPU with heat sink and fan
    .... one stick of memory
    .... keyboard

    John Doe wrote:
    > mohsin.nadeem@gmail.com wrote:
    > >CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 XP
    > >Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro
    > >RAM: KByte 512MB PC3200
    > >I've tried to reset the BIOS through CMOS jumper and by taking the
    > >battery off for more than an hour, didn't work.
    >
    > The only reason to take off the battery is if the battery is bad. It
    > probably should be three volts. I think resetting the BIOS jumper is
    > enough.

    It's a nice theory, isn't it?

    It would be nice if it were true. I once spent about $80 on unnecessary
    replacement parts, and three unnecessary trips to a parts store 20 miles
    away, because it doesn't work in practice -- turned out that the
    motherboard I had was fine, but that it needed to be reset, and using
    the BIOS jumper didn't reset it, so it acted like it was completely dead
    (no video or beeps or anything). The fellow at the parts store took out
    the battery, booted it, put the battery back in, booted it again, and it
    was good as new.

    > When you get really frustrated, you strip the computer of everything
    > except what is absolutely necessary. ... monitor
    > ... PCI video card
    > ... mainboard
    > ... CPU with heat sink and fan
    > ... one stick of memory
    > ... keyboard

    Or, if even that doesn't help, strip it of even more (keyboard, video
    card, memory) and make sure it does the right beep codes to indicate the
    errors.

    - Brooks

    Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu> wrote:
    >John Doe wrote:
    >> mohsin.nadeem@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 XP
    >>> Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro
    >>> RAM: KByte 512MB PC3200
    >>> I've tried to reset the BIOS through CMOS jumper and by taking
    >>> the battery off for more than an hour, didn't work.
    >>
    >> The only reason to take off the battery is if the battery is bad.
    >> It probably should be three volts. I think resetting the BIOS
    >> jumper is enough.
    >
    >It's a nice theory, isn't it?
    >It would be nice if it were true. I once spent about $80 on
    >unnecessary replacement parts, and three unnecessary trips to a
    >parts store 20 miles away, because it doesn't work in practice -

    Removing the battery didn't work in practice for the original
    poster.

    >- turned out that the motherboard I had was fine, but that it
    >needed to be reset, and using the BIOS jumper didn't reset it, so
    >it acted like it was completely dead (no video or beeps or
    >anything). The fellow at the parts store took out the battery,
    >booted it, put the battery back in, booted it again, and it was
    >good as new.

    You can spend a lot of time trying many things which won't fix or
    indicate anything. It's tempting, in my opinion, still it's a waste
    of time.

    >> When you get really frustrated, you strip the computer of
    >> everything except what is absolutely necessary.
    >> ... monitor
    >> ... PCI video card
    >> ... mainboard
    >> ... CPU with heat sink and fan
    >> ... one stick of memory
    >> ... keyboard
    >
    >Or, if even that doesn't help, strip it of even more (keyboard,
    >video card, memory) and make sure it does the right beep codes to
    >indicate the errors.

    You mean errors to indicate things are missing? I think you can
    assume it's going to provide the correct error signals.

    >- Brooks
    >

    >--
    >The "bmoses-nospam" address is valid; no unmunging needed.

    >From: Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu>
    >From: Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam @cits1.stanford.edu>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: M7NCD Pro and AMD 2500 XP Problem
    >Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:40:47 -0800

    OK, well I've got the same set up, M7NCD Pro and Athlon 2500 XP, but running
    two sticks of Kingston 256 mb RAM (2700). For whatever reason it would not
    take one stick of 512 RAM and the machine is just about a year old. The rig
    is overclocked with FSB at 200 mhz, and running fine with the CPU temp of
    29.5 C. I realize I don't get the benefit of the faster speed because the
    RAM is not 3200, but I'm not complaining.

    When you reset the bios was the machine unplugged as you reset the
    jumper? Can you try a different stick of RAM, preferably a 256 mb module
    (from my own experience, as noted, the 512 mb one was not working)?

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
    > mohsin.nadeem@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I built my computer a year ago and everything was working fine till
    >> today when I tried to over clock my computer, saved the BIOS settings
    >> and since then, I'm getting continuous beeps with same intervals.
    >>
    >> Here is my system configuration:
    >>
    >> CPU: AMD Athlon 2500 XP
    >> Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro
    >> RAM: KByte 512MB PC3200
    >
    > I too had an M7NCD Pro that went bad after about a year. kony tried to
    > tell me ...

    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

    I got another 256MB PC2700 RAM, and replaced it with my current Kbyte
    512MB PC3200, and it worked on very next boot. After that, I plugged in
    512MB, and it worked fine.

    I don't know why, this mobo doesn't boots on 512MB PC3200 RAM if
    you are messing with BIOS to do overclocking stuff. Now I do remember
    it did the same thing when I built my system a year ago, I borrowed RAM
    from a friend, and it worked.

    So guys, here are the stable settings I came up with after overclocking
    and many CPU stress tests:

    CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+XP
    Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro 1.1
    RAM: Kbyte 512MB PC3200
    Multiplyer: 11
    FSB: 200 MHz
    Memory timmings: 6 - 3 - 3
    CAS Latency: 2.5

    Now this baby is running at 2.2 GHz and Windows displays it as AMD
    3200+ :)

    Again, thanks for your help.

Homebuilt Systems