defrag...time

i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more than
6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into safe
mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
thanks. boni.
70 answers Last reply
More about defrag time

    In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    > than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    > into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    > suggestions ?
    > thanks. boni.

    Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
    used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it often
    restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
    full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
    installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
    on the slaved drive?

    Galen

    "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote

    > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    >> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    >> than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    >> into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    >> suggestions ?
    >> thanks. boni.
    >
    > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
    > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
    > often restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
    > rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to
    > CD or installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
    > files on the slaved drive?
    >
    > Galen

    Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do a scan
    disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"

    To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How full
    is your disk drive?

    Alias

    In news:%23Lct6w$QFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    >>> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    >>> than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    >>> into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    >>> suggestions ?
    >>> thanks. boni.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
    >> being used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode?
    >> Does it often restart because it says contents changed or the like?
    >> Is your drive rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the
    >> option of burning it to CD or installing a slave drive and storing
    >> non-application files and media files on the slaved drive?
    >>
    >> Galen
    >
    > Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do
    > a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"
    >
    > To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How
    > full is your disk drive?
    >
    > Alias

    Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I do quote "and yes I
    did the delete/temp/history..." (Which is certainly a clean up.) I also
    point out that you asked basically the same questions I did.

    You posted this why?

    Me? Personally? I can admit that I missed the safe mode bit. I'm not exactly
    sure how I did but I did. It's not unknown for me to miss something and when
    I do I'm quite happy to admit that I did because I've never once maintained
    that I was anything close to perfect. But I don't intentionally kvetch and
    then post questions already asked and then repeat the same sort of mistake
    by failing to comprehend the entire post from the OP.

    Enough said?

    Galen

    boni wrote:
    > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more than
    > 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into safe
    > mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
    > thanks. boni.

    If you have a large drive it's going to take awhile. Things to turn
    *off* to speed it up are "surface scan" for scandisk and something else
    for defrag (don't recall and don't have it in front of me). Both of
    which should be used occasionally though.

    HTH
    Rick

    > In news:%23Lct6w$QFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

    >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
    >>>
    >>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    >>> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
    >>> being used for other things?

    In safe mode???

    > Have you tried defragging in safe mode?

    snicker

    >>> Does it often restart because it says contents changed or the like?

    In safe mode???

    >>> Is your drive rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the
    >>> option of burning it to CD or installing a slave drive and storing
    >>> non-application files and media files on the slaved drive?
    >>>
    >>> Galen
    >>
    >> Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do
    >> a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"
    >>
    >> To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How
    >> full is your disk drive?
    >>
    >> Alias
    >
    > Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I do quote "and yes
    > I did the delete/temp/history..." (Which is certainly a clean up.)

    Not the clean up I was referring to. I mean the one that is located at
    Start/Programs/Assessories/System Tools/Clean up.

    > point out that you asked basically the same questions I did.

    Only the question about how full the drive is. And, so effin what?

    > You posted this why?

    The mood struck me.

    > Me? Personally? I can admit that I missed the safe mode bit. I'm not
    > exactly sure how I did but I did.

    Reading comprehension problem?

    > It's not unknown for me to miss something and when I do I'm quite happy
    > to admit that I did because I've never once maintained that I was anything
    > close to perfect. But I don't intentionally kvetch and then post questions
    > already asked and then repeat the same sort of mistake by failing to
    > comprehend the entire post from the OP.
    >
    > Enough said?
    >
    > Galen

    So far. Hey, if you don't like what I post, please use your kill file.

    Alias

    In news:%23SmId9BRFHA.1980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

    > So far. Hey, if you don't like what I post, please use your kill file.

    Nah, I did that once. I felt bad. Besides, someday you may post something
    that is valuable and something I can learn from. I'd miss that if I'd
    deleted your posts automatically. I wouldn't want to deprive myself from the
    chance to learn something new.

    As I'd mentioned... I missed it... I'm not always right and make no claims
    of being right all the time. I'm right often enough to warrant my posting
    however.

    Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186099

    If you look and see what it does (as pertains to cleaning up space) you will
    see that the OP has posted that they've cleaned out as much data as they're
    wanting to clean. The few MB of data left over from possibly leaving
    accessibility options installed isn't going to make a great deal of
    difference. In a case of 6 hours or more it's certainly not going to make a
    difference. Running said tool isn't going to make much of a difference in
    the scope of things when the majority of disk space will surely have been
    cleaned by doing as the OP has done already.

    Just to be more me-like... You are, I hope, aware that even though I missed
    the OP's post about the safe mode bit my questions are still quite valid and
    that malware has been known to run in safe mode? The snickers about that
    only show that you're probably not aware of this. While the recommendations
    to remove malware in safe mode are correct it's only because it's more
    likely that you'll be able to remove it easier and not at all because it's
    impossible for the processes to still be running. If the defrag is stopping
    due to contents changing while in safe mode it's actually a good sign that
    there's something more sinister afoot. Viruses running as explorer.exe? Or
    attached to it? This process, for one, starts with safe mode... Of course it
    does, you *need* explorer.exe to have a shell to operate in for the most
    part. (Okay, you don't really NEED it but as defrag is a GUI operation
    you'll certainly need it to defrag.) The beauty is that on 9x/ME you don't
    even get to see the running process listed while in XP, for instance, you'd
    get to see a generic listing of svchost.exe... Fun fun and we haven't even
    touched on rootkits yet?

    Do enjoy your day. No, I don't have to like your posts nor agree with them.
    It's a public forum and you're free to do as you'd like within certain
    boundries and you can even violate those boundries if you want, the most
    that will happen is a post gets deleted or some such. Nothing major but I'm
    certainly not going to killfile you. I did that once, felt bad, recently
    removed it, and sure enough the very next post I read was actually full of
    good information. I guess I'm either above it or just not thin skinned
    enough to worry about it.

    Galen

    One thing to note is that Defrag in Safe Mode will ALWAYS be slower than
    defrag in Normal Mode - it's running in a much smaller memory space.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "boni" wrote:
    >i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    >than
    >6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into
    >safe
    >mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
    >thanks. boni.

    You shouldn’t have to run defrag in safe mode. I think defrag
    requires 16% available space to run properly. Why don’t you
    downloading a free copy of a third party defrag program and try to see
    if that works better for you. 6 hours is way too long.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-time-ftopict359679.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1150309

    one week later......
    did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
    complete.
    honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
    burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
    made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
    resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take so
    long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
    have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions ..appreciated.
    thank you. boni.
    > In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    > > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    > > than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    > > into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    > > suggestions ?
    > > thanks. boni.
    >
    > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
    > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
    often
    > restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
    > full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
    > installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
    > on the slaved drive?
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    How big is your disk and what is it full of ?

    Rick

    boni wrote:
    > one week later......
    > did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
    > complete.
    > honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
    > burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
    > made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
    > resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take so
    > long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
    > have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions ..appreciated.
    > thank you. boni.
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    >>>i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    >>>than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    >>>into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    >>>suggestions ?
    >>>thanks. boni.
    >>
    >>Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
    >>used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
    >
    > often
    >
    >>restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
    >>full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
    >>installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
    >>on the slaved drive?
    >>
    >>Galen
    >>--
    >>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and contents
    ? thanks
    "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > one week later......
    > did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
    > complete.
    > honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
    > burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
    > made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
    > resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take
    so
    > long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
    > have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
    ...appreciated.
    > thank you. boni.
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
    > >
    > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    > >
    > > > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
    > > > than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
    > > > into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
    > > > suggestions ?
    > > > thanks. boni.
    > >
    > > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
    being
    > > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
    > often
    > > restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
    rather
    > > full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
    > > installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
    files
    > > on the slaved drive?
    > >
    > > Galen
    > > --
    > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk would
    be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
    Windows Explorer)

    N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free Space -
    the faster it will run.

    See also :-
    "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171

    Mart

    > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
    > contents
    > ? thanks
    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> one week later......
    >> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
    >> complete.
    >> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ??
    >> or
    >> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
    >> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin
    >> and
    >> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take
    > so
    >> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
    >> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
    > ..appreciated.
    >> thank you. boni.
    >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
    >> >
    >> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    >> > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
    > being
    >> > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
    >> often
    >> > restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
    > rather
    >> > full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
    >> > installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
    > files
    >> > on the slaved drive?
    >> >
    >> > Galen
    >> > --
    >> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    local disk (c:)
    capacity 18.6 gb
    used 10.0 gb
    free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    message news:OT$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
    would
    > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
    > Windows Explorer)
    >
    > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
    Space -
    > the faster it will run.
    >
    > See also :-
    > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
    > > contents
    > > ? thanks
    > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> one week later......
    > >> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
    > >> complete.
    > >> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ??
    > >> or
    > >> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the
    suggestions
    > >> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin
    > >> and
    > >> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't
    take
    > > so
    > >> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware .
    > >> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
    > > ..appreciated.
    > >> thank you. boni.
    > >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > being
    > >> often
    > > rather
    > > files

    boni
    I've been using Diskeeper Lite, a free utility to defrag my 'puter for
    several years without any problem whatsoever. It's the light version
    of Diskeeper by Executive Software that sells for $40 or so. It takes
    less than 30 minutes to run on my computer. If interested you may
    download from,
    Try it; if you don't like it, simply uninstall it.

    Dan

    > local disk (c:)
    > capacity 18.6 gb
    > used 10.0 gb
    > free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote
    in
    > message news:OT$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your
    disk
    > would
    > > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer
    and/or
    > > Windows Explorer)
    > >
    > > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more
    Free
    > Space -
    > > the faster it will run.
    > >
    > > See also :-
    > > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk
    and
    > > > contents
    > > > ? thanks
    > > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > suggestions
    > take
    > > > so
    > > > ..appreciated.

    > more
    > going
    any

    > > > being
    > it
    > > > rather
    > or
    > > > files

    There's no way 10 GB should take 7-8 hours to defragment, so:

    - ensure that your disk is set for DMA access

    - download and use ScanDefrag, developed by some of the MVPs who
    frequent these helpgroups.

    http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag

    - when you're running a Scandisk, don't use the "Surface Scan" option on
    a regular basis.

    This should get you down to a couple hours at most (which is still too
    long for that amount of data but it's an improvement)

    Rick

    In news:Oj1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

    > local disk (c:)
    > capacity 18.6 gb
    > used 10.0 gb

    As has been stated by others there's no way that should be taking as long as
    it has. For starters, as Noel pointed out, it should take a bit longer in
    safemode as there's less memory space available. What happens if you try to
    use it in regular mode? Using the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all
    the processes except systray, explorer, and maybe rundll32 though I don't
    think that one has to be running, does it defrag faster?

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Is it Scandisk or Defrag which takes MOST of the time?

    If Scandisk, are you ALWAYS running it in Thorough mode?

    Is there any (much) difference in time taken to run Scandisk in Safe Mode or
    in Real Mode DOS (using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk)?

    If Defrag, is the disk badly fragmented each time, before you run it?

    (But bear in mind Rick's comment re: DMA)

    Mart

    "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > local disk (c:)
    > capacity 18.6 gb
    > used 10.0 gb
    > free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    > message news:OT$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
    > would
    >> be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
    >> Windows Explorer)
    >>
    >> N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
    > Space -
    >> the faster it will run.
    >>
    >> See also :-
    >> "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
    >> > contents
    >> > ? thanks
    >> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > suggestions
    > take
    >> > so
    >> > ..appreciated.

    > more
    > going

    >> > being
    > it
    >> > rather
    > or
    >> > files

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Why don’t you
    >downloading a free copy of a third party defrag program and try to see
    >if that works better for you. 6 hours is way too long.

    Try Diskeeper Lite , a freeware program . It will take more like 6
    minutes to defrag the HDD! And you can use the computer for other
    tasks at the same time.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "plinnane3remov" wrote:
> [...]
    > >
    > > it
    > >
    >   >>>>often
    >   >>>>
    >   >>>>>restart because it says contents changed or
    > the like? Is your drive
    >   >>>
    >   >>>rather
    >   >>>
    >   >>>>>full of stuff? If so then do you have the
    > option of burning it to CD
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    >   >>>>>installing a slave drive and storing
    > non-application files and media
    >   >>>
    >   >>>files
    >   >>>
    >   >>>>>on the slaved drive?
    >   >>>>>
    >   >>>>>Galen
    >   >>>>>--
    >   >>>>>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    >   >>>>>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other

    If you would just download any of the third party defrag programs
    listed here, your problem will probably go away. Like everyone said,
    try a trialware defrag program.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-time-ftopict359679.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1189789

    http://www.usenet.com
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
    i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
    if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
    able to tell ?
    when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
    if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the processes
    rundll32 does not appear . should it?
    boni.

    "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > local disk (c:)
    > capacity 18.6 gb
    > used 10.0 gb
    > free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    > message news:OT$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
    > would
    > > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
    > > Windows Explorer)
    > >
    > > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
    > Space -
    > > the faster it will run.
    > >
    > > See also :-
    > > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
    > > > contents
    > > > ? thanks
    > > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > suggestions
    > take
    > > > so
    > > > ..appreciated.

    > more
    > going

    > > > being
    > it
    > > > rather
    CD
    > or
    > > > files

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
    for that matter, though not that much better.

    ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
    Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.

    Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.

    Rick

    1badtech wrote:
> [...]
    > > >
    > > > or
    > > >
    > >   >>>>>installing a slave drive and storing
    > > non-application files and media
    > >   >>>
    > >   >>>files
    > >   >>>
    > >   >>>>>on the slaved drive?
    > >   >>>>>
    > >   >>>>>Galen
    > >   >>>>>--
    > >   >>>>>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > >   >>>>>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other
    > > side.
    > >   >>>>>
    > >   >>>>>
    > >   >>>>
    > >   >>>>
    > >   >>>
    > >  >>
    > > >

    > If you would just download any of the third party defrag programs
    > listed here, your problem will probably go away. Like everyone said,

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(

    --

    > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper for
    > that matter, though not that much better.
    >
    > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
    > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
    >

    > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
    >

    > Rick
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
    about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have seen
    it many times before.......

    >  >>Windows Explorer)
    >  >>
    >  >>N.B. Defrag requires

    Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
    brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))

    Figgs

    > It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
    for
    > > that matter, though not that much better.
    > >
    > > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
    > > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
    > >

    > > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
    > >

    > > Rick

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    If you look at his sig, the details are there
    <quote>
    Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-time-ftopict359679.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1189789

    </quote>
    I tried getting into the thread via that- but for some reason it throws up a
    'does not exist' error. The other threads I tried all worked fine!

    --

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
    > about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
    > seen
    > it many times before.......
    >
    > >  >>Windows Explorer)
    > >  >>
    > >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
    >
    > Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
    > brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
    >
    > Figgs
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
    > for
    >> > that matter, though not that much better.
    >> >
    >> > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running
    >> > of
    >> > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
    >> >

    >> > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
    >> >

    >> > Rick

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    boni wrote :-

    > i don't understand ....

    DMA setting - Check your HDD settings in Device Manager to determine whether
    DMA is set on or off. Try the alternative setting and see if there is an
    improvement. N.B. - Set an SR Point first - just in case!!

    You also now need to determine whether it is Scandisk or Defrag which is
    causing the bottle-neck.

    > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
    > able to tell ?

    Watch the 'defrag' map. When you watch the 'defrag' map - are there masses
    of fragments, or is the map fairly contiguous?

    Try defragging (and time it) then - without switching off - immediately try
    defragging again - Any *major* difference in time? How does the second
    timing compare with your 'weekly' timing of defrag?

    Scandisk :-

    Try running Scandisk ONLY in each of the following modes and make a note of
    the timings :-

    Normal Mode - as a 'Thorough' test.
    Safe Mode - as a 'Thorough' test
    Real Mode DOS - Surface Scan (Equivalent to a Thorough test in Windows)

    N.B. - To run Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, Boot with your WinMe Startup
    (floppy) Disk, select 'With CD-ROM
    Support' then at the A:\> prompt, type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note
    there is a colon after the letter c)
    then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.

    How do the three Scandisk timings compare?

    N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely eliminating
    ANY WinMe involvement!!

    A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
    where the problem lies.

    Mart

    > thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
    > i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
    > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
    > able to tell ?
    > when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
    > if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the
    > processes
    > rundll32 does not appear . should it?
    > boni.
    >
    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> local disk (c:)
    >> capacity 18.6 gb
    >> used 10.0 gb
    >> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    >> message news:OT$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
    >> would
    >> > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
    >> > Windows Explorer)
    >> >
    >> > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
    >> Space -
    >> > the faster it will run.
    >> >
    >> > See also :-
    >> > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
    >> >
    >> > Mart
    >> >

    >> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > ??
    >> suggestions
    > begin
    >> take
    > .

    >> more
    >> going

    >> it
    > CD
    >> or
    > media

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hey Heather! HTML?? - I'm already in enough trouble elsewhere with this
    thread - please don't involve me in HTML <g>

    Mart

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
    > about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
    > seen
    > it many times before.......
    >
    > >  >>Windows Explorer)
    > >  >>
    > >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
    >
    > Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
    > brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
    >
    > Figgs
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
    > for
    >> > that matter, though not that much better.
    >> >
    >> > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running
    >> > of
    >> > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
    >> >

    >> > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
    >> >

    >> > Rick

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    first let me again thank you all first for your support.
    don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
    i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb) applications.
    but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
    in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
    (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
    the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
    time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
    its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
    on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
    showing verizon.net. when its optonline.

    Settings and Hardware using the setting
> [...]
    > there is a colon after the letter c)
    > then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.
    >
    > How do the three Scandisk timings compare?
    >
    > N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely
    eliminating
    > ANY WinMe involvement!!
    >
    > A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
    > where the problem lies.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
    > > i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
    > > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
    > > able to tell ?
    > > when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
    > > if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You can
    concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
    tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.

    Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one yourself
    :-
    "How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823

    or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
    option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
    disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe Startup
    (floppy)

    Finally, (for the moment <g>)
    > ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
    > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.

    Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and not
    the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging' your
    email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look how
    others have set-up theirs.

    Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
    amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.

    Good luck

    Mart

    > first let me again thank you all first for your support.
    > don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
    > i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
    > applications.
    > but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
    > in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
    > (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
    > the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
    > time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
    > its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
    > on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
    > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
    >
    > Settings and Hardware using the setting

    <snipped>
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    article 271823 requires Win98 startup disk (not avail)
    so, bootdisk i will try.
    CDO stands for ?
    accts/ will work on that. late & heading out. thanks boni
    > Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You
    can
    > concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
    > tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.
    >
    > Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one
    yourself
    > :-
    > "How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823
    >
    > or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
    > option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
    > disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe
    Startup
    > (floppy)
    >
    > Finally, (for the moment <g>)
    > > ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
    > > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
    >
    > Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and
    not
    > the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging' your
    > email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look
    how
    > others have set-up theirs.
    >
    > Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
    > amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > first let me again thank you all first for your support.
    > > don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
    > > i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
    > > applications.
    > > but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
    > > in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
    > > (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
    > > the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
    > > time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
    > > its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
    > > on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
    > > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
    > >
    > > Settings and Hardware using the setting
    >
    > <snipped>

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    LOL!! Nah, you aren't in all that much trouble.

    I wish I could say I was 100% sure, but without backup proof, I am only 99%
    sure. (G)

    Heather

    > Hey Heather! HTML?? - I'm already in enough trouble elsewhere with
    this
    > thread - please don't involve me in HTML <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was
    talking
    > > about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
    > > seen
    > > it many times before.......
    > >
    > > >  >>Windows Explorer)
    > > >  >>
    > > >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
    > >
    > > Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but
    the
    > > brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
    > >
    > > Figgs
    > >

    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > for

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That was some bike Rick haven't seen the Lincoln <g> I watched the Santa
    Claus one last night, I'm surprised it went what with senior and Mike on
    it <g> but the kids appreciated it.
    I usually watch it at 6pm here on Discovery so haven't seen any of the new
    series yet.
    Joan

    Rick T wrote:

    > Liberty bike was cool... love the colour... Gillette bike was pretty
    > awesome (but almost undriveable)... I think I like the Lincoln bike
    > bestest.

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan Archer wrote:
    > That was some bike Rick haven't seen the Lincoln <g> I watched the Santa
    > Claus one last night, I'm surprised it went what with senior and Mike on
    > it <g> but the kids appreciated it.

    Haven't seen (or heard about) the Santa Claus one, yet; from my POV in
    the series they just finished the Gillette bike.

    Rick

    > I usually watch it at 6pm here on Discovery so haven't seen any of the new
    > series yet.
    > Joan
    >

    > Rick T wrote:
    >
    >>Liberty bike was cool... love the colour... Gillette bike was pretty
    >>awesome (but almost undriveable)... I think I like the Lincoln bike
    >>bestest.

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Haven't heard of that one. If I remember it was the Liberty then the
    lawnmower then the Santa Claus, but when I watch it it could just be that
    they are not in sequence. Tonight's version was the Black Widow again
    which
    I saw some weeks ago, I think when they did an American Chopper day one
    Sunday <g>
    Just remembered that they mentioned the Santa Claus was something to do
    with the kids who had lost people in 9/11 and they went to a Fire Station
    I think <g>
    Joan

    Rick T wrote:

    > Haven't seen (or heard about) the Santa Claus one, yet; from my POV in
    > the series they just finished the Gillette bike.
    >
    > Rick

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    had a chance to begin on normal mode (5hrs) scandisk. will finish later
    safe mode zzz.boni.
> [...]
    > there is a colon after the letter c)
    > then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.
    >
    > How do the three Scandisk timings compare?
    >
    > N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely
    eliminating
    > ANY WinMe involvement!!
    >
    > A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
    > where the problem lies.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
    > > i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
    > > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
    > > able to tell ?
    > > when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
    > > if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Boni asked :-
    > CDO stands for ?

    Microsoft® Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) is a technology for building
    messaging or collaboration applications.

    "Overview of CDO"
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/psdk/cdo/_olemsg_overview_of_cdo.htm

    "OL2000: General Information About CDO"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272402

    Well - You did ask!!

    Mart

    > article 271823 requires Win98 startup disk (not avail)
    > so, bootdisk i will try.
    > CDO stands for ?
    > accts/ will work on that. late & heading out. thanks boni
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You
    > can
    >> concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
    >> tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.
    >>
    >> Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one
    > yourself
    >> :-
    >> "How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823
    >>
    >> or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
    >> option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
    >> disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe
    > Startup
    >> (floppy)
    >>
    >> Finally, (for the moment <g>)
    >> > ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
    >> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
    >>
    >> Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and
    > not
    >> the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging'
    >> your
    >> email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look
    > how
    >> others have set-up theirs.
    >>
    >> Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
    >> amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> > first let me again thank you all first for your support.
    >> > don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
    >> > i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
    >> > applications.
    >> > but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
    >> > in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
    >> > (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
    >> > the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
    >> > time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
    >> > its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
    >> > on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
    >> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
    >> >
    >> > Settings and Hardware using the setting
    >>
    >> <snipped>

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    And don't forget Real Mode DOS too!!

    Mart

    > had a chance to begin on normal mode (5hrs) scandisk. will finish later
    > safe mode zzz.boni.
    <snipped>
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    today i am attempting to complete safe mode thorough .message indicates
    other programs running and causing scandisk interruption, how do i know or
    discontinue programs from running during or in safe mode.? boni
    interruption about 10 x
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > indicates
    > other programs running and causing scandisk interruption,
    > ... [in]... safe mode, thorough

    Now THAT'S a start! (And you shouldn't *normally* be getting interruptions
    in Safe Mode!!)

    (BTW - Try scandisk in Real Mode DOS, just to see how (long) it runs and see
    if any interruptions. Hopefully an improvement!!)

    Back to what *might* be causing interruptions (and slow progress) in Safe
    Mode.

    Take a look at Pacs-Portal and see if that helps you identify (and remove)
    excessive programs in your Startup axis. Try to keep them to an absolute
    minimum.
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    msconfig | startup tab may help you identify things - but read and study the
    whole of Pacs articles.

    Mart

    > today i am attempting to complete safe mode thorough .message indicates
    > other programs running and causing scandisk interruption, how do i know or
    > discontinue programs from running during or in safe mode.? boni
    > interruption about 10 x

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    thanks for the feedback..question: could i have ctrl-alt-delete programs
    prior to, scan disk/thorough while in Safe Mode and could that have been
    the reason for interruptions. boni.
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes, you can use C-A-D to determine and individually 'disable' the various
    applications/processes which may be running in the background. Pacs-Portal
    should help identify the more important ones which shouldn't be disabled.

    However, to have multiple 'restarts' occurring in Safe Mode is unusual
    (hence the 'usual' advice, to run Scandisk and Defrag in Safe Mode) and
    could mean that it might be relatively easy to identify the 'offending'
    process.

    As another tool, you could also try using Wintop, part of the old MS Kernel
    Toys, to determine running processes (and cpu usage). You can download it
    from:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm

    Mart

    > thanks for the feedback..question: could i have ctrl-alt-delete programs
    > prior to, scan disk/thorough while in Safe Mode and could that have been
    > the reason for interruptions. boni.

  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make disk
    from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
    the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
    Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
    This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.

    Copy files from:
    (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'

    destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
    should i continue to use my floppy disk .
    why aol ? boni
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    aspi2dos.sys missing?

    Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
    installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?) OEM
    CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.

    Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive for
    the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the above
    folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
    extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from BASE2.CAB.

    Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
    path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may* have
    been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).

    However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then you
    only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it should
    then continue and create the disk.

    If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
    download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure to
    read the instructions

    HTH

    Mart

    > am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make disk
    > from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
    > the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
    > Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
    > This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
    >
    > Copy files from:
    > (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
    >
    > destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
    > should i continue to use my floppy disk .
    > why aol ? boni

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Mart......

    I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple of
    months....made one at the beginning tho.

    But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2 gig
    D Drive in the Win9X folder.

    Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So some
    OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple of
    months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search for
    the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.

    Cheers.....Heather

    > aspi2dos.sys missing?
    >
    > Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
    > installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?) OEM
    > CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
    >
    > Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive for
    > the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
    above
    > folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
    > extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
    BASE2.CAB.

    > Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
    > path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
    have
    > been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
    >
    > However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
    you
    > only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it should
    > then continue and create the disk.
    >
    > If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
    > download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure
    > read the instructions
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make
    disk
    > > from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
    > > the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
    > > Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
    > > This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
    > >
    > > Copy files from:
    > > (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
    > >
    > > destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
    > > should i continue to use my floppy disk .
    > > why aol ? boni

  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes, your quite right. When I re-read my post just after sending it, I did
    wonder whether to add one of my infamous 'addendums' (addenda?) suggesting
    that the main BASE2.CAB (complete with all the other installation CABS)
    *could* be located elsewhere - depending on the OEM. I just wish I'd done so
    <g>

    Mart

    > Hi Mart......
    >
    > I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple of
    > months....made one at the beginning tho.
    >
    > But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2
    > gig
    > D Drive in the Win9X folder.
    >
    > Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So some
    > OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple of
    > months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search for
    > the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.
    >
    > Cheers.....Heather
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> aspi2dos.sys missing?
    >>
    >> Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
    >> installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?)
    >> OEM
    >> CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
    >>
    >> Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive
    >> for
    >> the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
    > above
    >> folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
    >> extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
    > BASE2.CAB.
    >>
    >> Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
    >> path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
    > have
    >> been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
    >>
    >> However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
    > you
    >> only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it
    >> should
    >> then continue and create the disk.
    >>
    >> If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
    >> download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure
    >> read the instructions
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> > am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make
    > disk
    >> > from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
    >> > the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
    >> > Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to
    >> > continue.
    >> > This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
    >> >
    >> > Copy files from:
    >> > (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
    >> >
    >> > destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
    >> > should i continue to use my floppy disk .
    >> > why aol ? boni

  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    LOL.....have to keep you on your toes, my Cumbrian Lad!! But it wasn't
    until one of the experts on here mentioned it possibly being in
    Win9X.....that I tried and it worked. No two OEM's do it the same, it
    seems.

    As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.

    Cheers....Heather

    > Yes, your quite right. When I re-read my post just after sending it, I did
    > wonder whether to add one of my infamous 'addendums' (addenda?) suggesting
    > that the main BASE2.CAB (complete with all the other installation CABS)
    > *could* be located elsewhere - depending on the OEM. I just wish I'd done
    so
    > <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hi Mart......
    > >
    > > I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple
    of
    > > months....made one at the beginning tho.
    > >
    > > But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2
    > > gig
    > > D Drive in the Win9X folder.
    > >
    > > Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So
    some
    > > OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple
    of
    > > months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search
    for
    > > the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.
    > >
    > > Cheers.....Heather
    > >
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> aspi2dos.sys missing?
    > >>
    > >> Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
    > >> installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?)
    > >> OEM
    > >> CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
    > >>
    > >> Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive
    > >> for
    > >> the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
    > > above
    > >> folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
    > >> extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
    > > BASE2.CAB.
    > >>
    > >> Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder
    (the
    > >> path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
    > > have
    > >> been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
    > >>
    > >> However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
    > > you
    > >> only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it
    > >> should
    > >> then continue and create the disk.
    > >>
    > >> If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you
    can
    > >> download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be
    sure
    > >> read the instructions
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > disk

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote

    > As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
    >
    > Cheers....Heather

    Addenda.

    Alias
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Actually you two, I find it easiest to append an addendum then append
    another addendum. - Saves the confusion <g>

    BTW - It's still the Lancastrian district of Cumbria.

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote
    >

    >> As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
    >>
    >> Cheers....Heather
    >
    > Addenda.
    >
    > Alias

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shoot.....now I will have to go figure out what the *Lancastrian District of
    Cumbria* is.

    We never call it Cumbria.....coz we are working in the olden days. (G)
    Back when it was Cumberland & Westmorland. Oddly enough, Ron grew up in
    Westmorland in Jamaica......just a bit of trivia, lol.

    --
    Cheers.....Heather
    List Admin - ENG-CUL

    > Actually you two, I find it easiest to append an addendum then append
    > another addendum. - Saves the confusion <g>
    >
    > BTW - It's still the Lancastrian district of Cumbria.
    >

    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote
    > >

    > >> As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers....Heather
    > >
    > > Addenda.
    > >
    > > Alias

  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You been looking at WordWeb <g>
    Joan

    Alias wrote:

    > Addenda.