defrag...time

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 18, 2005 5:44:00 AM

i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more than
6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into safe
mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
thanks. boni.

More about : defrag time

April 18, 2005 8:40:04 AM

In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
> than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
> into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
> suggestions ?
> thanks. boni.

Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it often
restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
on the slaved drive?

Galen
April 18, 2005 3:51:52 PM

"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote

> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

>> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
>> than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
>> into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
>> suggestions ?
>> thanks. boni.
>
> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
> used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
> often restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
> rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to
> CD or installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
> files on the slaved drive?
>
> Galen

Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do a scan
disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"

To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How full
is your disk drive?

Alias
April 18, 2005 3:51:53 PM

In news:%23Lct6w$QFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

>>> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
>>> than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
>>> into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
>>> suggestions ?
>>> thanks. boni.
>>
>> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
>> being used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode?
>> Does it often restart because it says contents changed or the like?
>> Is your drive rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the
>> option of burning it to CD or installing a slave drive and storing
>> non-application files and media files on the slaved drive?
>>
>> Galen
>
> Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do
> a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"
>
> To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How
> full is your disk drive?
>
> Alias

Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I do quote "and yes I
did the delete/temp/history..." (Which is certainly a clean up.) I also
point out that you asked basically the same questions I did.

You posted this why?

Me? Personally? I can admit that I missed the safe mode bit. I'm not exactly
sure how I did but I did. It's not unknown for me to miss something and when
I do I'm quite happy to admit that I did because I've never once maintained
that I was anything close to perfect. But I don't intentionally kvetch and
then post questions already asked and then repeat the same sort of mistake
by failing to comprehend the entire post from the OP.

Enough said?

Galen
April 18, 2005 5:14:08 PM

boni wrote:
> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more than
> 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into safe
> mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
> thanks. boni.

If you have a large drive it's going to take awhile. Things to turn
*off* to speed it up are "surface scan" for scandisk and something else
for defrag (don't recall and don't have it in front of me). Both of
which should be used occasionally though.

HTH
Rick
April 18, 2005 8:03:21 PM

> In news:%23Lct6w$QFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

>> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
>>>
>>> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>>> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
>>> being used for other things?

In safe mode???

> Have you tried defragging in safe mode?

snicker

>>> Does it often restart because it says contents changed or the like?

In safe mode???

>>> Is your drive rather full of stuff? If so then do you have the
>>> option of burning it to CD or installing a slave drive and storing
>>> non-application files and media files on the slaved drive?
>>>
>>> Galen
>>
>> Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I quote: "i do
>> a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week"
>>
>> To the OP: did you do a clean up before the scan disk and defrag? How
>> full is your disk drive?
>>
>> Alias
>
> Got a reading comprehension problem? The OP wrote and I do quote "and yes
> I did the delete/temp/history..." (Which is certainly a clean up.)

Not the clean up I was referring to. I mean the one that is located at
Start/Programs/Assessories/System Tools/Clean up.

> point out that you asked basically the same questions I did.

Only the question about how full the drive is. And, so effin what?

> You posted this why?

The mood struck me.

> Me? Personally? I can admit that I missed the safe mode bit. I'm not
> exactly sure how I did but I did.

Reading comprehension problem?

> It's not unknown for me to miss something and when I do I'm quite happy
> to admit that I did because I've never once maintained that I was anything
> close to perfect. But I don't intentionally kvetch and then post questions
> already asked and then repeat the same sort of mistake by failing to
> comprehend the entire post from the OP.
>
> Enough said?
>
> Galen

So far. Hey, if you don't like what I post, please use your kill file.

Alias
April 18, 2005 8:03:22 PM

In news:%23SmId9BRFHA.1980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Alias <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> had this to say:

> So far. Hey, if you don't like what I post, please use your kill file.

Nah, I did that once. I felt bad. Besides, someday you may post something
that is valuable and something I can learn from. I'd miss that if I'd
deleted your posts automatically. I wouldn't want to deprive myself from the
chance to learn something new.

As I'd mentioned... I missed it... I'm not always right and make no claims
of being right all the time. I'm right often enough to warrant my posting
however.

Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186099

If you look and see what it does (as pertains to cleaning up space) you will
see that the OP has posted that they've cleaned out as much data as they're
wanting to clean. The few MB of data left over from possibly leaving
accessibility options installed isn't going to make a great deal of
difference. In a case of 6 hours or more it's certainly not going to make a
difference. Running said tool isn't going to make much of a difference in
the scope of things when the majority of disk space will surely have been
cleaned by doing as the OP has done already.

Just to be more me-like... You are, I hope, aware that even though I missed
the OP's post about the safe mode bit my questions are still quite valid and
that malware has been known to run in safe mode? The snickers about that
only show that you're probably not aware of this. While the recommendations
to remove malware in safe mode are correct it's only because it's more
likely that you'll be able to remove it easier and not at all because it's
impossible for the processes to still be running. If the defrag is stopping
due to contents changing while in safe mode it's actually a good sign that
there's something more sinister afoot. Viruses running as explorer.exe? Or
attached to it? This process, for one, starts with safe mode... Of course it
does, you *need* explorer.exe to have a shell to operate in for the most
part. (Okay, you don't really NEED it but as defrag is a GUI operation
you'll certainly need it to defrag.) The beauty is that on 9x/ME you don't
even get to see the running process listed while in XP, for instance, you'd
get to see a generic listing of svchost.exe... Fun fun and we haven't even
touched on rootkits yet?

Do enjoy your day. No, I don't have to like your posts nor agree with them.
It's a public forum and you're free to do as you'd like within certain
boundries and you can even violate those boundries if you want, the most
that will happen is a post gets deleted or some such. Nothing major but I'm
certainly not going to killfile you. I did that once, felt bad, recently
removed it, and sure enough the very next post I read was actually full of
good information. I guess I'm either above it or just not thin skinned
enough to worry about it.

Galen
April 19, 2005 2:49:03 AM

One thing to note is that Defrag in Safe Mode will ALWAYS be slower than
defrag in Normal Mode - it's running in a much smaller memory space.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> boni wrote:
>> i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more than
>> 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into safe
>> mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
>> thanks. boni.
>>

> If you have a large drive it's going to take awhile. Things to turn *off*
> to speed it up are "surface scan" for scandisk and something else for
> defrag (don't recall and don't have it in front of me). Both of which
> should be used occasionally though.
>
> HTH
> Rick
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:07:04 AM

"boni" wrote:
>i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
>than
>6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going into
>safe
>mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any suggestions ?
>thanks. boni.

You shouldn’t have to run defrag in safe mode. I think defrag
requires 16% available space to run properly. Why don’t you
downloading a free copy of a third party defrag program and try to see
if that works better for you. 6 hours is way too long.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1150309
May 2, 2005 1:04:27 AM

one week later......
did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
complete.
honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take so
long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions ..appreciated.
thank you. boni.
news:o YU85I$QFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

> > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
> > than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
> > into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
> > suggestions ?
> > thanks. boni.
>
> Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
> used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
often
> restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
> full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
> installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
> on the slaved drive?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:22:41 AM

How big is your disk and what is it full of ?

Rick

boni wrote:
> one week later......
> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
> complete.
> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take so
> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions ..appreciated.
> thank you. boni.
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o YU85I$QFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

>>>i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
>>>than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
>>>into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
>>>suggestions ?
>>>thanks. boni.
>>
>>Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also being
>>used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
>
> often
>
>>restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive rather
>>full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
>>installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media files
>>on the slaved drive?
>>
>>Galen
>>--
>>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

May 2, 2005 10:30:26 AM

where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and contents
? thanks
"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> one week later......
> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
> complete.
> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ?? or
> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin and
> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take
so
> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
...appreciated.
> thank you. boni.
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o YU85I$QFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > i do a scan disk & defrag in safe mode 1x a week, and it takes more
> > > than 6hrs. and yes i did the delete/temp/history first before going
> > > into safe mode. is there a reason why it takes so long ? any
> > > suggestions ?
> > > thanks. boni.
> >
> > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
being
> > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
> often
> > restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
rather
> > full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
> > installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
files
> > on the slaved drive?
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:51:29 PM

Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk would
be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
Windows Explorer)

N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free Space -
the faster it will run.

See also :-
"Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171

Mart

> where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
> contents
> ? thanks
> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> one week later......
>> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
>> complete.
>> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ??
>> or
>> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the suggestions
>> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin
>> and
>> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't take
> so
>> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware . i
>> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
> ..appreciated.
>> thank you. boni.
>> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o YU85I$QFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > In news:egpLZl9QFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> > boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:
>> >
>> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

>> > Perhaps you have a bunch of stuff on your drive? Your drive is also
> being
>> > used for other things? Have you tried defragging in safe mode? Does it
>> often
>> > restart because it says contents changed or the like? Is your drive
> rather
>> > full of stuff? If so then do you have the option of burning it to CD or
>> > installing a slave drive and storing non-application files and media
> files
>> > on the slaved drive?
>> >
>> > Galen
>> > --
>> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

May 2, 2005 3:51:30 PM

local disk (c:)
capacity 18.6 gb
used 10.0 gb
free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
would
> be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
> Windows Explorer)
>
> N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
Space -
> the faster it will run.
>
> See also :-
> "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
>
> Mart
>

> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
> > contents
> > ? thanks
> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> one week later......
> >> did the same again. this time defrag took about 8hrs. on safe mode to
> >> complete.
> >> honestly, in respond to your question .. drive used for other things ??
> >> or
> >> burning to cd ?? or media files to slave drive, maybe all the
suggestions
> >> made by you have the solution. except ..i wouldn't know where to begin
> >> and
> >> resolve the problem. so that when i defrag on safe mode it wouldn't
take
> > so
> >> long. since i am doing it weekly. no i don't have adware nor spyware .
> >> have ez av/firewall/ spybot. simple/uncomplicated directions
> > ..appreciated.
> >> thank you. boni.
> >> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o YU85I$QFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> > being
> >> often
> > rather
> > files

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:51:31 PM

boni
I've been using Diskeeper Lite, a free utility to defrag my 'puter for
several years without any problem whatsoever. It's the light version
of Diskeeper by Executive Software that sells for $40 or so. It takes
less than 30 minutes to run on my computer. If interested you may
download from,
Try it; if you don't like it, simply uninstall it.

Dan

"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o j1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> local disk (c:)
> capacity 18.6 gb
> used 10.0 gb
> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote
in
> message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your
disk
> would
> > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer
and/or
> > Windows Explorer)
> >
> > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more
Free
> Space -
> > the faster it will run.
> >
> > See also :-
> > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk
and
> > > contents
> > > ? thanks
> > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> suggestions
> take
> > > so
> > > ..appreciated.

> more
> going
any

> > > being
> it
> > > rather
> or
> > > files

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:51:31 PM

There's no way 10 GB should take 7-8 hours to defragment, so:

- ensure that your disk is set for DMA access

- download and use ScanDefrag, developed by some of the MVPs who
frequent these helpgroups.

http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag

- when you're running a Scandisk, don't use the "Surface Scan" option on
a regular basis.

This should get you down to a couple hours at most (which is still too
long for that amount of data but it's an improvement)

Rick

boni wrote:
> local disk (c:)
> capacity 18.6 gb
> used 10.0 gb
> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
> message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
>
> would
>
>>be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
>>Windows Explorer)
>>
>>N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
>
> Space -
>
>>the faster it will run.
>>
>>See also :-
>>"Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
>>
>>Mart
>>

>>"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
>>>contents
>>>? thanks
>>>"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message

> suggestions

> take
>
>>>so

>>>..appreciated.

> more

> going

>>>being

> it

>>>rather

> or

>>>files

May 2, 2005 7:02:14 PM

In news:o j1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
boni <kruzlc@verizon.net> had this to say:

> local disk (c:)
> capacity 18.6 gb
> used 10.0 gb

As has been stated by others there's no way that should be taking as long as
it has. For starters, as Noel pointed out, it should take a bit longer in
safemode as there's less memory space available. What happens if you try to
use it in regular mode? Using the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all
the processes except systray, explorer, and maybe rundll32 though I don't
think that one has to be running, does it defrag faster?

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 9:07:01 PM

Is it Scandisk or Defrag which takes MOST of the time?

If Scandisk, are you ALWAYS running it in Thorough mode?

Is there any (much) difference in time taken to run Scandisk in Safe Mode or
in Real Mode DOS (using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk)?

If Defrag, is the disk badly fragmented each time, before you run it?

(But bear in mind Rick's comment re: DMA)

Mart

"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o j1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> local disk (c:)
> capacity 18.6 gb
> used 10.0 gb
> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
> message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
> would
>> be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
>> Windows Explorer)
>>
>> N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
> Space -
>> the faster it will run.
>>
>> See also :-
>> "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
>> > contents
>> > ? thanks
>> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> suggestions
> take
>> > so
>> > ..appreciated.

> more
> going

>> > being
> it
>> > rather
> or
>> > files

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:12:37 PM

Why don’t you
>downloading a free copy of a third party defrag program and try to see
>if that works better for you. 6 hours is way too long.

Try Diskeeper Lite , a freeware program . It will take more like 6
minutes to defrag the HDD! And you can use the computer for other
tasks at the same time.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:52:43 AM

"plinnane3remov" wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > it
> >
>   >>>>often
>   >>>>
>   >>>>>restart because it says contents changed or
> the like? Is your drive
>   >>>
>   >>>rather
>   >>>
>   >>>>>full of stuff? If so then do you have the
> option of burning it to CD
> >
> > or
> >
>   >>>>>installing a slave drive and storing
> non-application files and media
>   >>>
>   >>>files
>   >>>
>   >>>>>on the slaved drive?
>   >>>>>
>   >>>>>Galen
>   >>>>>--
>   >>>>>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>   >>>>>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other

If you would just download any of the third party defrag programs
listed here, your problem will probably go away. Like everyone said,
try a trialware defrag program.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1189789

http://www.usenet.com
May 3, 2005 4:09:38 AM

thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
able to tell ?
when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the processes
rundll32 does not appear . should it?
boni.

"boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o j1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> local disk (c:)
> capacity 18.6 gb
> used 10.0 gb
> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
> message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
> would
> > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
> > Windows Explorer)
> >
> > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
> Space -
> > the faster it will run.
> >
> > See also :-
> > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > where would i begin to respond to the question ...size of disk and
> > > contents
> > > ? thanks
> > > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> suggestions
> take
> > > so
> > > ..appreciated.

> more
> going

> > > being
> it
> > > rather
CD
> or
> > > files

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:03:14 AM

WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
for that matter, though not that much better.

ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.

Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.

Rick

1badtech wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> >   >>>>>installing a slave drive and storing
> > non-application files and media
> >   >>>
> >   >>>files
> >   >>>
> >   >>>>>on the slaved drive?
> >   >>>>>
> >   >>>>>Galen
> >   >>>>>--
> >   >>>>>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> >   >>>>>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other
> > side.
> >   >>>>>
> >   >>>>>
> >   >>>>
> >   >>>>
> >   >>>
> >  >>
> > >

> If you would just download any of the third party defrag programs
> listed here, your problem will probably go away. Like everyone said,

May 3, 2005 10:06:41 AM

It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(

--

news:o glag05TFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper for
> that matter, though not that much better.
>
> ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
> Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
>

> Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
>

> Rick
May 3, 2005 10:06:42 AM

Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have seen
it many times before.......

>  >>Windows Explorer)
>  >>
>  >>N.B. Defrag requires

Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))

Figgs

> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o glag05TFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
for
> > that matter, though not that much better.
> >
> > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running of
> > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
> >

> > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
> >

> > Rick

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:42:44 AM

If you look at his sig, the details are there
<quote>
Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-defrag-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1189789

</quote>
I tried getting into the thread via that- but for some reason it throws up a
'does not exist' error. The other threads I tried all worked fine!

--

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
> about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
> seen
> it many times before.......
>
> >  >>Windows Explorer)
> >  >>
> >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
>
> Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
> brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
>
> Figgs
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o glag05TFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
> for
>> > that matter, though not that much better.
>> >
>> > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running
>> > of
>> > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
>> >

>> > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
>> >

>> > Rick

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:31:57 PM

boni wrote :-

> i don't understand ....

DMA setting - Check your HDD settings in Device Manager to determine whether
DMA is set on or off. Try the alternative setting and see if there is an
improvement. N.B. - Set an SR Point first - just in case!!

You also now need to determine whether it is Scandisk or Defrag which is
causing the bottle-neck.

> if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
> able to tell ?

Watch the 'defrag' map. When you watch the 'defrag' map - are there masses
of fragments, or is the map fairly contiguous?

Try defragging (and time it) then - without switching off - immediately try
defragging again - Any *major* difference in time? How does the second
timing compare with your 'weekly' timing of defrag?

Scandisk :-

Try running Scandisk ONLY in each of the following modes and make a note of
the timings :-

Normal Mode - as a 'Thorough' test.
Safe Mode - as a 'Thorough' test
Real Mode DOS - Surface Scan (Equivalent to a Thorough test in Windows)

N.B. - To run Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, Boot with your WinMe Startup
(floppy) Disk, select 'With CD-ROM
Support' then at the A:\> prompt, type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note
there is a colon after the letter c)
then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.

How do the three Scandisk timings compare?

N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely eliminating
ANY WinMe involvement!!

A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
where the problem lies.

Mart

> thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
> i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
> if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
> able to tell ?
> when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
> if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the
> processes
> rundll32 does not appear . should it?
> boni.
>
> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:o j1cDewTFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> local disk (c:)
>> capacity 18.6 gb
>> used 10.0 gb
>> free 8.86 gb 914kb "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
>> message news:o T$b7SwTFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > Perhaps both the Total Size and the amount of Free Space of your disk
>> would
>> > be a useful starting point. (Can be ascertained in My Computer and/or
>> > Windows Explorer)
>> >
>> > N.B. Defrag requires some 15% Free Space to run, hence the more Free
>> Space -
>> > the faster it will run.
>> >
>> > See also :-
>> > "Description of the Disk Defragmenter Tool in Windows 98/Me"
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186171
>> >
>> > Mart
>> >

>> > "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> ??
>> suggestions
> begin
>> take
> .

>> more
>> going

>> it
> CD
>> or
> media

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:06:57 PM

Hey Heather! HTML?? - I'm already in enough trouble elsewhere with this
thread - please don't involve me in HTML <g>

Mart

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was talking
> about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
> seen
> it many times before.......
>
> >  >>Windows Explorer)
> >  >>
> >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
>
> Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but the
> brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
>
> Figgs
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o glag05TFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > WinME's default Defrag works just fine. So does (3rd party) Diskeeper
> for
>> > that matter, though not that much better.
>> >
>> > ScanDefrag is not a defragmenter; it's a program that manages running
>> > of
>> > Windows' DiskCleanUp, Scandisk and Defrag programs.
>> >

>> > Your newsreader is doing strange things to your posts.
>> >

>> > Rick

May 4, 2005 3:37:55 AM

first let me again thank you all first for your support.
don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb) applications.
but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
(IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
showing verizon.net. when its optonline.

Settings and Hardware using the setting
> [...]
> there is a colon after the letter c)
> then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.
>
> How do the three Scandisk timings compare?
>
> N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely
eliminating
> ANY WinMe involvement!!
>
> A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
> where the problem lies.
>
> Mart
>

> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
> > i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
> > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
> > able to tell ?
> > when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
> > if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the

May 4, 2005 2:32:07 PM

Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You can
concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.

Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one yourself
:-
"How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823

or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe Startup
(floppy)

Finally, (for the moment <g>)
> ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
> showing verizon.net. when its optonline.

Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and not
the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging' your
email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look how
others have set-up theirs.

Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.

Good luck

Mart

> first let me again thank you all first for your support.
> don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
> i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
> applications.
> but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
> in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
> (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
> the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
> time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
> its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
> on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
> showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
>
> Settings and Hardware using the setting

<snipped>
May 4, 2005 2:32:08 PM

article 271823 requires Win98 startup disk (not avail)
so, bootdisk i will try.
CDO stands for ?
accts/ will work on that. late & heading out. thanks boni
> Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You
can
> concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
> tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.
>
> Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one
yourself
> :-
> "How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823
>
> or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
> option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
> disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe
Startup
> (floppy)
>
> Finally, (for the moment <g>)
> > ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
>
> Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and
not
> the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging' your
> email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look
how
> others have set-up theirs.
>
> Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
> amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.
>
> Good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > first let me again thank you all first for your support.
> > don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
> > i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
> > applications.
> > but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
> > in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
> > (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
> > the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
> > time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
> > its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
> > on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
> >
> > Settings and Hardware using the setting
>
> <snipped>

May 4, 2005 5:06:57 PM

LOL!! Nah, you aren't in all that much trouble.

I wish I could say I was 100% sure, but without backup proof, I am only 99%
sure. (G)

Heather

> Hey Heather! HTML?? - I'm already in enough trouble elsewhere with
this
> thread - please don't involve me in HTML <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Good morning, puss!! And that is the crazy HTML coding that I was
talking
> > about to Mart. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have
> > seen
> > it many times before.......
> >
> > >  >>Windows Explorer)
> > >  >>
> > >  >>N.B. Defrag requires
> >
> > Night....and I must remember what questions I was going to ask you but
the
> > brain is dead and I am heading to bed......8-))
> >
> > Figgs
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> It's not a newsreader, Rick - it's a Webforum interface :(
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o glag05TFHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > for

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:05:01 PM

That was some bike Rick haven't seen the Lincoln <g> I watched the Santa
Claus one last night, I'm surprised it went what with senior and Mike on
it <g> but the kids appreciated it.
I usually watch it at 6pm here on Discovery so haven't seen any of the new
series yet.
Joan

Rick T wrote:

> Liberty bike was cool... love the colour... Gillette bike was pretty
> awesome (but almost undriveable)... I think I like the Lincoln bike
> bestest.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:23:26 PM

Joan Archer wrote:
> That was some bike Rick haven't seen the Lincoln <g> I watched the Santa
> Claus one last night, I'm surprised it went what with senior and Mike on
> it <g> but the kids appreciated it.

Haven't seen (or heard about) the Santa Claus one, yet; from my POV in
the series they just finished the Gillette bike.

Rick

> I usually watch it at 6pm here on Discovery so haven't seen any of the new
> series yet.
> Joan
>

> Rick T wrote:
>
>>Liberty bike was cool... love the colour... Gillette bike was pretty
>>awesome (but almost undriveable)... I think I like the Lincoln bike
>>bestest.

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 2:38:04 AM

Haven't heard of that one. If I remember it was the Liberty then the
lawnmower then the Santa Claus, but when I watch it it could just be that
they are not in sequence. Tonight's version was the Black Widow again
which
I saw some weeks ago, I think when they did an American Chopper day one
Sunday <g>
Just remembered that they mentioned the Santa Claus was something to do
with the kids who had lost people in 9/11 and they went to a Fire Station
I think <g>
Joan

Rick T wrote:

> Haven't seen (or heard about) the Santa Claus one, yet; from my POV in
> the series they just finished the Gillette bike.
>
> Rick

May 6, 2005 4:36:41 AM

had a chance to begin on normal mode (5hrs) scandisk. will finish later
safe mode zzz.boni.
> [...]
> there is a colon after the letter c)
> then press Return. Follow the screen prompts and allow a Surface Scan.
>
> How do the three Scandisk timings compare?
>
> N.B. - By running Scandisk in Real Mode DOS, you are completely
eliminating
> ANY WinMe involvement!!
>
> A very long-winded and time consuming exercise - but should help identify
> where the problem lies.
>
> Mart
>

> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > thanks ... i will try diskeeper and blueorbsoft
> > i don't understand , ensure that disk is set for DMA access?
> > if defrag is badly fragmented each time before i run it , how will i be
> > able to tell ?
> > when i try to defrag on regular mode it runs, just about the same.
> > if i were to use the ctrl + alt + delete and shutting off all the

May 6, 2005 1:24:15 PM

Boni asked :-
> CDO stands for ?

Microsoft® Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) is a technology for building
messaging or collaboration applications.

"Overview of CDO"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

"OL2000: General Information About CDO"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272402

Well - You did ask!!

Mart

> article 271823 requires Win98 startup disk (not avail)
> so, bootdisk i will try.
> CDO stands for ?
> accts/ will work on that. late & heading out. thanks boni
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Boni, for the time being, don't worry too much about the DMA issue. You
> can
>> concentrate on enabling/disabling the DMA - if necessary - after you've
>> tried the 3 Scandisk tests and compared their results.
>>
>> Regarding a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, you can either create one
> yourself
>> :-
>> "How To Create a Windows Me Startup Disk Manually"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271823
>>
>> or go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the WinMe OEM
>> option to your hard disk on you current computer. Run it from your hard
>> disk - with a fresh floppy disk in your A: drive - to create a WinMe
> Startup
>> (floppy)
>>
>> Finally, (for the moment <g>)
>> > ..... can't figure out why the email in OE is
>> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
>>
>> Well, at least your are using IE6 (and all credit to you for that!!) and
> not
>> the dreaded CDO, however you ought to seriously think about 'munging'
>> your
>> email address in these newsgroups - spam harvesters tend to trawl. Look
> how
>> others have set-up theirs.
>>
>> Easily fixed in OE |Tools \ Accounts \ News tab \ Properties - and just
>> amend your e-mail address accordingly to a fictitious account.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > first let me again thank you all first for your support.
>> > don't believe i have a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk.
>> > i do have in documents gmx9xao1 (5699 kb) and 9c904me (412 kb)
>> > applications.
>> > but, i will test on normal/safe mode.
>> > in checking device manager .. the selected choice is Interrupt request
>> > (IRQ). not the direct memory access(DMA).
>> > the other 2 test on normal/safe thoroughmode will be done at an earlier
>> > time.. for me. i will remember to do a SR first.
>> > its zzz time and i look forward on trying to fix my system.
>> > on another note.... if i may ? can't figure out why the email in OE is
>> > showing verizon.net. when its optonline.
>> >
>> > Settings and Hardware using the setting
>>
>> <snipped>

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:32:33 PM

And don't forget Real Mode DOS too!!

Mart

> had a chance to begin on normal mode (5hrs) scandisk. will finish later
> safe mode zzz.boni.
<snipped>
May 7, 2005 7:35:16 PM

today i am attempting to complete safe mode thorough .message indicates
other programs running and causing scandisk interruption, how do i know or
discontinue programs from running during or in safe mode.? boni
interruption about 10 x
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:18:16 AM

> indicates
> other programs running and causing scandisk interruption,
> ... [in]... safe mode, thorough

Now THAT'S a start! (And you shouldn't *normally* be getting interruptions
in Safe Mode!!)

(BTW - Try scandisk in Real Mode DOS, just to see how (long) it runs and see
if any interruptions. Hopefully an improvement!!)

Back to what *might* be causing interruptions (and slow progress) in Safe
Mode.

Take a look at Pacs-Portal and see if that helps you identify (and remove)
excessive programs in your Startup axis. Try to keep them to an absolute
minimum.
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

msconfig | startup tab may help you identify things - but read and study the
whole of Pacs articles.

Mart

> today i am attempting to complete safe mode thorough .message indicates
> other programs running and causing scandisk interruption, how do i know or
> discontinue programs from running during or in safe mode.? boni
> interruption about 10 x

May 8, 2005 3:18:17 AM

thanks for the feedback..question: could i have ctrl-alt-delete programs
prior to, scan disk/thorough while in Safe Mode and could that have been
the reason for interruptions. boni.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 12:21:08 PM

Yes, you can use C-A-D to determine and individually 'disable' the various
applications/processes which may be running in the background. Pacs-Portal
should help identify the more important ones which shouldn't be disabled.

However, to have multiple 'restarts' occurring in Safe Mode is unusual
(hence the 'usual' advice, to run Scandisk and Defrag in Safe Mode) and
could mean that it might be relatively easy to identify the 'offending'
process.

As another tool, you could also try using Wintop, part of the old MS Kernel
Toys, to determine running processes (and cpu usage). You can download it
from:
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm

Mart

> thanks for the feedback..question: could i have ctrl-alt-delete programs
> prior to, scan disk/thorough while in Safe Mode and could that have been
> the reason for interruptions. boni.

May 10, 2005 12:06:26 AM

am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make disk
from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.

Copy files from:
(C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'

destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
should i continue to use my floppy disk .
why aol ? boni
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:10:24 PM

aspi2dos.sys missing?

Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?) OEM
CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.

Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive for
the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the above
folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from BASE2.CAB.

Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may* have
been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).

However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then you
only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it should
then continue and create the disk.

If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure to
read the instructions

HTH

Mart

> am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make disk
> from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
> the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
> Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
> This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
>
> Copy files from:
> (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
>
> destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
> should i continue to use my floppy disk .
> why aol ? boni

May 10, 2005 3:49:48 PM

Hi Mart......

I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple of
months....made one at the beginning tho.

But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2 gig
D Drive in the Win9X folder.

Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So some
OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple of
months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search for
the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.

Cheers.....Heather

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o XEr4eTVFHA.3240@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> aspi2dos.sys missing?
>
> Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
> installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?) OEM
> CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
>
> Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive for
> the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
above
> folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
> extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
BASE2.CAB.

> Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
> path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
have
> been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
>
> However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
you
> only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it should
> then continue and create the disk.
>
> If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
> download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure
> read the instructions
>
> HTH
>
> Mart
>

> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make
disk
> > from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
> > the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
> > Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to continue.
> > This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
> >
> > Copy files from:
> > (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
> >
> > destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
> > should i continue to use my floppy disk .
> > why aol ? boni

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:45:18 PM

Yes, your quite right. When I re-read my post just after sending it, I did
wonder whether to add one of my infamous 'addendums' (addenda?) suggesting
that the main BASE2.CAB (complete with all the other installation CABS)
*could* be located elsewhere - depending on the OEM. I just wish I'd done so
<g>

Mart

> Hi Mart......
>
> I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple of
> months....made one at the beginning tho.
>
> But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2
> gig
> D Drive in the Win9X folder.
>
> Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So some
> OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple of
> months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search for
> the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.
>
> Cheers.....Heather
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o XEr4eTVFHA.3240@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> aspi2dos.sys missing?
>>
>> Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
>> installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?)
>> OEM
>> CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
>>
>> Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive
>> for
>> the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
> above
>> folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
>> extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
> BASE2.CAB.
>>
>> Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder (the
>> path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
> have
>> been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
>>
>> However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
> you
>> only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it
>> should
>> then continue and create the disk.
>>
>> If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you can
>> download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be sure
>> read the instructions
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > am i on track ? went to add/remove programs.......attempting to make
> disk
>> > from Startup Disk, so i clicked ..create disk and received message:
>> > the file 'aspi2dos.sys' was not found.
>> > Windows needs the disk labeled 'Windows Millennium Edition' to
>> > continue.
>> > This disk may be provided by your comp or device manuf.
>> >
>> > Copy files from:
>> > (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\aspi2dos.sys'
>> >
>> > destination file: c:\winebdo.400\ebd\aspi2dos.sys=base2.cab'
>> > should i continue to use my floppy disk .
>> > why aol ? boni

May 10, 2005 10:45:19 PM

LOL.....have to keep you on your toes, my Cumbrian Lad!! But it wasn't
until one of the experts on here mentioned it possibly being in
Win9X.....that I tried and it worked. No two OEM's do it the same, it
seems.

As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.

Cheers....Heather

> Yes, your quite right. When I re-read my post just after sending it, I did
> wonder whether to add one of my infamous 'addendums' (addenda?) suggesting
> that the main BASE2.CAB (complete with all the other installation CABS)
> *could* be located elsewhere - depending on the OEM. I just wish I'd done
so
> <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Mart......
> >
> > I could never make a boot disk after owning this computer for a couple
of
> > months....made one at the beginning tho.
> >
> > But the secret on here is that my BASE2.CAB file is on the very small 2
> > gig
> > D Drive in the Win9X folder.
> >
> > Once I pointed to the proper drive and folder, I had no problem. So
some
> > OEM guys are just putting it on a different drive. I made one a couple
of
> > months ago using this Win9X folder. Perhaps the OP could do a search
for
> > the BASE2 folder and see where they put his.
> >
> > Cheers.....Heather
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > news:o XEr4eTVFHA.3240@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> aspi2dos.sys missing?
> >>
> >> Normally, when installing Me from a MS retail CD, it copies the whole
> >> installation setup folder to windows\options\install. But with (some?)
> >> OEM
> >> CD's, it copies them to windows\options\cab.
> >>
> >> Normally, when creating a startup disk, WinMe searches your hard drive
> >> for
> >> the installation folder containing BASE2.CAB from one or other of the
> > above
> >> folders, depending on where the installation folder was copied to, and
> >> extracts (some of) the files - including aspi2dos.sys etc. - from
> > BASE2.CAB.
> >>
> >> Your problem suggests that WinMe may be looking in the wrong folder
(the
> >> path may be wrong or missing) or possibly the installation files *may*
> > have
> >> been deleted at some time (to save approx 120MB of disk space).
> >>
> >> However, if they are still in either the \install or \CABS folder, then
> > you
> >> only need to re-direct the warning to the appropriate folder and it
> >> should
> >> then continue and create the disk.
> >>
> >> If you haven't got the installation files on your hard disk, then you
can
> >> download a WinMe bootdisk making utility from www.bootdisk.com - be
sure
> >> read the instructions
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "boni" <kruzlc@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > disk

May 11, 2005 1:37:00 AM

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote

> As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
>
> Cheers....Heather

Addenda.

Alias
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 1:37:01 AM

Actually you two, I find it easiest to append an addendum then append
another addendum. - Saves the confusion <g>

BTW - It's still the Lancastrian district of Cumbria.

"Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:o XcHjeZVFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote
>

>> As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
>>
>> Cheers....Heather
>
> Addenda.
>
> Alias

May 11, 2005 1:37:02 AM

Shoot.....now I will have to go figure out what the *Lancastrian District of
Cumbria* is.

We never call it Cumbria.....coz we are working in the olden days. (G)
Back when it was Cumberland & Westmorland. Oddly enough, Ron grew up in
Westmorland in Jamaica......just a bit of trivia, lol.

--
Cheers.....Heather
List Admin - ENG-CUL

> Actually you two, I find it easiest to append an addendum then append
> another addendum. - Saves the confusion <g>
>
> BTW - It's still the Lancastrian district of Cumbria.
>

> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> news:o XcHjeZVFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote
> >

> >> As to plural of *addendum*.....you got me there, grin.
> >>
> >> Cheers....Heather
> >
> > Addenda.
> >
> > Alias

Anonymous