LCD monitors and external power supply

I'm noticing some LCD monitors are now being made with external power
supplies; meaning they have the voltage transformer on the line cord. Other
than misplacing these cords when moving the monitor from one location to
another, can you thaink of any disadvantage, or advantage, to using monitors
with this configuration?

Thanks,
--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

> I'm noticing some LCD monitors are now being made with external power supplies;
> meaning they have the voltage transformer on the line cord. Other than misplacing
> these cords when moving the monitor from one location to another, can you thaink of
> any disadvantage, or advantage, to using monitors with this configuration?

Yes...
o SMPS tend to be a point of failure
---- so you can just replace the external PSU brick vs the monitor
---- at least, it is easier to get a replacement on Ebay or such like
o Many such monitors use a 12V supply
---- which is also what PC PSUs output
---- so you can power say a LAN-Switch, KVM & Monitor off your PC
o SMPS tend to be quite chunky re minimum size / form-factor
---- externalising the SMPS allows a (very) flat LCD monitor

If the LCD monitor is to be flat-mounted to wall or such, low profile counts.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

knockoutdmd

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hi,

I am also looking to find LCD computer monitors that have an external power supply. We are installing it in a track system where there will be movement back and forth, and for safety reasons we prefer to have low voltage running through the power cable than 120vac.

Could anybody provide a link to such monitors? I have done a search and nothing comes up, and I also checked out the local Fry's and they don't have it either.

Thanks in advance.

Alex