swapping motherboard and processor

My mums computer is only 500htz processor and I think it needs a bit of a
kick.
I have here a pc without a hard drive which has I think is a 900 processor.
I cannot check as I have no hard drive to check to specs.
Anyhow what I am thinking of is taking her hard drive out of her pc, and
putting it in my spare computer. The memory is the same as we have swapped
sticks before. So my only concern is windows 98. Eventually I will buy XP
to put on there, but in the meantime it will be windows 98.
Is the OS going to throw a fit of anger if I change the motherboard and
processor?
Is there likely to be any problem?
14
answers
Last reply
More about swapping motherboard processor

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > My mums computer is only 500htz processor and I think it needs a bit of a
    > kick.
    > I have here a pc without a hard drive which has I think is a 900
    > processor. I cannot check as I have no hard drive to check to specs.
    > Anyhow what I am thinking of is taking her hard drive out of her pc, and
    > putting it in my spare computer. The memory is the same as we have
    > swapped sticks before. So my only concern is windows 98. Eventually I
    > will buy XP to put on there, but in the meantime it will be windows 98.
    > Is the OS going to throw a fit of anger if I change the motherboard and
    > processor?
    > Is there likely to be any problem?

    You won't have any problems that can't be worked out fairly easily.
    However, it's not worth the effort to try. To go from 500 to 900 will give
    you no performance increase at all. In fact, without reinstalling the OS,
    you will probably end up with a -slower- computer that is unstable. There
    are ways to fix that, but . . . at best, you will end up right back where
    you are NOW. (with a slow, stable computer) Generally, if you can't triple
    your current processor speed, there is no good reason to upgrade JUST for a
    faster processor. You might think that a ~1000 MHz processor would be twice
    as fast, but not really. The CPU is just one component in your system.
    Alone, it can not speed up your entire system as much as the clock speeds
    would seem to indicate. At best, doubling your CPU speed (assuming all else
    remains unchanged) might up overall system performance by about 20%, but
    you'll only NOTICE it if you run benchmarks, so what's the point? -Dave

    If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you MUST
    reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise you can
    look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

    --
    DaveW

    "Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > My mums computer is only 500htz processor and I think it needs a bit of a
    > kick.
    > I have here a pc without a hard drive which has I think is a 900
    > processor. I cannot check as I have no hard drive to check to specs.
    > Anyhow what I am thinking of is taking her hard drive out of her pc, and
    > putting it in my spare computer. The memory is the same as we have
    > swapped sticks before. So my only concern is windows 98. Eventually I
    > will buy XP to put on there, but in the meantime it will be windows 98.
    > Is the OS going to throw a fit of anger if I change the motherboard and
    > processor?
    > Is there likely to be any problem?

    Dave's right, you won't get a big performance boost. I'd swap drives
    anyway, then format it, and re-install 98 on the 900. Max out the memory,
    and then you'd be in good shape to install XP when the time comes. Time
    spent now, will save it then.

    Avery

    DaveW wrote:
    > If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you MUST
    > reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise you can
    > look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

    A repeat of the perpetual hogwash from Dave W.

    "-Avery Anderson-" <avery@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Dave's right, you won't get a big performance boost. I'd swap drives
    > anyway, then format it, and re-install 98 on the 900. Max out the memory,
    > and then you'd be in good shape to install XP when the time comes. Time
    > spent now, will save it then.

    I have not seen Dave's post, but thankyou for the suggestion.

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    > DaveW wrote:
    >> If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you MUST
    >> reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >> can look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>

    > A repeat of the perpetual hogwash from Dave W.

    How did I know someone was going to flame Dave W. for offering good advice?
    I must be psychic or something. -Dave

    Dave C. wrote:
    >"Beck" <my_bulkmail@REMOVEbtopenworld.com> wrote in message

    >>I have here a pc without a hard drive which has I think is a 900
    >>processor. I cannot check as I have no hard drive to check to specs.

    You don't need a hard drive to check the specs. You just
    need to put some RAM in it and connect up the video to a
    monitor. When you turn on the computer, it should display
    the processor speed on the screen.

    >However, it's not worth the effort to try. To go from 500
    >to 900 will give you no performance increase at all.

    This is bunk. The jump from 500mhz to 900mhz is easily
    worth the effort. The faster startup of applications is
    worth it. The decreased sluggishness when displaying flash
    or java applets is worth it. Heck, the increased speed in
    jpeg display is worth it. The ability to play back .avi
    smoothly is worth it. The ability to play .mp3's while
    doing other things is worth it. The ability to actually
    keep up with a DVD burner is worth it.

    Will the typical Joe Average notice the difference between
    a 500mhz processor and a 900mhz processor? YES! Even if
    all he does is browse the internet with a single window
    non-tabbed web browser, the performance difference will
    be significant (thanks to CPU taxing flash and java and
    javascript).

    >In fact, without reinstalling the OS, you will probably
    >end up with a -slower- computer that is unstable.

    Huh? With Windows 98? How?

    Even with something like Gentoo Linux, where you can compile
    the OS and all of your applications to be optimized specifically
    for a particular processor, there won't be a difference.
    There isn't any difference between binaries optimized for
    a 500mhz P3 and for a 900mhz P3.

    My advice--first, confirm the processor speed difference.
    If it really is going from 500 to 900mhz, do the swap--or
    better yet, buy a new hard drive and get two computers out
    of the bargain. Personally, I'd do a clean install on the
    900mhz computer, and just transfer over data files. But
    then, I personally don't spend any money for my operating
    systems (if Windows came preinstalled, fine--otherwise, I
    put Linux on it).

    If you want to keep things perfectly legal, your Win98 license
    probably only applies to the original computer. Thus, you
    should leave the old drive in the old 500mhz computer. You
    can then buy a new hard drive for the 900mhz computer and
    install a new OS on that (buy WinXP and/or install Linux or
    some other OS).

    Isaac Kuo

    DaveW wrote:
    > If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you
    MUST
    > reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise
    you can
    > look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

    With Windows 98? I've moved my original Windows 98 hard drive
    from various upgrades from PII 266 all the way up to P4 Celeron
    2.5ghz, with various motherboard upgrades/replacements along
    the way. I've never had any issues with Registry errors or
    data corruption as a result. (This particular drive, an old
    8gig Seagate, has fortuitously never failed or died yet.)

    The only issues I've had with Windows 98 and swapping processor
    or motherboard was a particular known Win98 bug with processor
    speeds above 2ghz, and searching around the mobo manufacturer's
    web site for Win98 drivers.

    I've even ghosted that Win98 isntall to smaller drives to install
    onto a old 100mhz Pentium machines. No issues there either--just
    the requisite reboot frenzy as Win98 detects new hardware.

    Isaac Kuo

    Dave C. wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>DaveW wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you MUST
    >>>reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >>>can look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>>

    >>A repeat of the perpetual hogwash from Dave W.
    >

    > How did I know someone was going to flame Dave W. for offering good advice?
    > I must be psychic or something. -Dave

    Define "good advice."

    A fresh install is 'dummy safe', all right, but it's just plain false to
    say one "MUST" do it and that you'll have "ongoing nasty Registry errors
    and data corruption" if you don't.

    > Define "good advice."
    >
    > A fresh install is 'dummy safe', all right, but it's just plain false to
    > say one "MUST" do it and that you'll have "ongoing nasty Registry errors
    > and data corruption" if you don't.

    So if you told someone to play russian roulette, and someone else advised
    the OP not to, would you then claim that playing russian roulette is a good
    idea because you've never lost a game of it? Me, I say formatting the hard
    drive after a mainboard swap is a darned good idea. But then there are
    people who play russian roulette and live to post about it. I understand
    that. I've done it myself. I just wouldn't advise anybody else to try
    t. -Dave

    IsaacKuo:

    >>However, it's not worth the effort to try. To go from 500
    >>to 900 will give you no performance increase at all.
    >
    > This is bunk. The jump from 500mhz to 900mhz is easily
    > worth the effort.

    I agree. A good example of why advice from usenet has to be taken with a
    grain of salt. I understand the OP wasn't changing architecture but it
    would still be worth it, especially since it was FREE!
    --
    Mac Cool

    Dave C. wrote:
    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>DaveW wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you change the motherboard in a Windows based computer, then you MUST
    >>>reformat the harddrive and do a clean install of the OS. Otherwise you
    >>>can look forward to ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
    >>>

    >>A repeat of the perpetual hogwash from Dave W.
    >

    > How did I know someone was going to flame Dave W. for offering good advice?
    > I must be psychic or something. -Dave

    Well, DaveW is basically right although a repair install will work -
    just rarely in an entirely problem free way.

    The best way to set up a windows computer is to have the hard drive
    partitioned into at least two segments. One for Windows and the other
    for all your data, then when you have to reinstall Windows you don't
    have to lose all your data at the same time.

    BarryNL wrote:

    > Dave C. wrote:
    >
    >> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

    >>> A repeat of the perpetual hogwash from Dave W.
    >>

    >> How did I know someone was going to flame Dave W. for offering good
    >> advice? I must be psychic or something. -Dave
    >

    > Well, DaveW is basically right although a repair install will work -
    > just rarely in an entirely problem free way.

    I've never had one fail, or have problems, yet.

    Dave C. wrote:

    >>Define "good advice."
    >>
    >>A fresh install is 'dummy safe', all right, but it's just plain false to
    >>say one "MUST" do it and that you'll have "ongoing nasty Registry errors
    >>and data corruption" if you don't.
    >

    > So if you told someone to play russian roulette, and someone else advised
    > the OP not to, would you then claim that playing russian roulette is a good
    > idea because you've never lost a game of it?

    With Russian Roulette the odds do not improve over dumb luck even if you
    know what you're doing, and if you did you wouldn't be playing the game.

    On the other hand, changing motherboards, without destroying the existing
    Windows installation, is not even terribly difficult (usually), if you know
    what you're doing.

    > Me, I say formatting the hard
    > drive after a mainboard swap is a darned good idea.

    Depending on the circumstances it might be a 'good idea' but just being a
    'good idea' wasn't the issue at hand. The issue was whether one "MUST" and
    I have yet to hear of anyone die from it.

    > But then there are
    > people who play russian roulette and live to post about it. I understand
    > that. I've done it myself. I just wouldn't advise anybody else to try

    No offense, but saying you've played Russian Roulette and then recommending
    what constitutes a 'good idea' is an incompatible combination.

    > t. -Dave

Homebuilt Computer Processors Hard Drives Systems