Cheap Server for HOME LAN backup?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2005 6:23:18 PM

I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.

What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
External USB HD backup?

I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
it doesnt have that.

Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 1:41:54 AM

> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to
> my External USB HD backup?

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...
January 18, 2005 12:28:28 PM

Stillwater wrote:

>> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...

Be aware that this device runs Linux - so the filesystem it uses to store
backups to your external drive(s) is not directly readable by Windows.
As long as you use it to read as well as write to the drive, all is well.

Roby
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 9:11:53 PM

thanks. when reading the reviews on the Linksys it doesnt do well.
Problems stated were:
locks up frequently
wont power itself up power loss.
Uses proprietary disk format.
Have to lose any data on disk to format.
also then cant just hook disk up to PC anymore to get data off it cus of
different format.
wont format over a 80g HD.
Major problem then also is cant save images of disk for backup for complete
disk restore.
Seems about 50% were thumbs down....CNET etc.

Doesnt sound like its ready for prime time . What do you think?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 3:13:29 AM

I like this thing too -- set one up for a friend -- works well

it would be better of it allow the underlying USB drive to be NTFS versus
it's own unix type file system, you could thne just also plug the drive into
a USB port on a PC and access the files

Can't do that currently due to the file system on the drives with the
storage link

"Stillwater" <brewingNOisSPAMloving@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>> LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 8:14:02 AM

jtsnow:

> Seems about 50% were thumbs down....CNET etc.
> Doesnt sound like its ready for prime time . What do you think?

I don't have any experience with the Linksys, but I wouldn't base any
decision on c|net reviews. There are too many idiots who negative and
positive reviews on products.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

jtsnow wrote:
> I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External 250 GB
> HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the PC I
> use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device that
> will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT) LAN to my
> External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the HD and
> it doesnt have that.

USB2.0 port for the laptop?

http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=24&...

> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 9:03:20 PM

Roby wrote:
> Stillwater wrote:
>

>>>What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
>>>that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100 baseT)
>>>LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>>
>>http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&sci...
>

> Be aware that this device runs Linux - so the filesystem it uses to store
> backups to your external drive(s) is not directly readable by Windows.
> As long as you use it to read as well as write to the drive, all is well.

Of course, you could always set your PC's up as dual boot machines so
you can boot them into Linux and read the disk that way if you ever need
to. Having 5GB or so set aside for Linux is barely noticable on today's
monster drives.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2005 11:52:56 PM

> I want to have another PC on my home LAN to use to run the External
> 250 GB HD backup I used to backup 4 PCs.
> I have 4 PCs on my LAN and when they backup over LAN it bogs down the
> PC I use, this is the same PC that interfaces (USB 2.0) to the
> External HD.
>
> What is the cheapest way to get a server (or is there a simple device
> that will act like a server) to interface from the ethernet (100
> baseT) LAN to my External USB HD backup?
>
> I have a spare old laptop that would work, but I need USB 2.0 for the
> HD and it doesnt have that.
>
> Any thoughts or tips or suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

check out the post from Jan 1 .. titled

"What to do with a 400MHz dual-processor computer?"

mebbe offer to buy it for $60-80 bucks ... $20 for shipping and toss a
cheap USB2 card in it .. yer all set .......

just a thought as requested ....... good luck!
!