Fat32 to NTFS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
loaded.
I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

TIA
32 answers Last reply
More about fat32 ntfs
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I know you didn't ask, but starting out on a manipulated foundation is
    risky.
    Try and save your data and start out fresh from format. Unless your plans
    are of a temporary nature.

    "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >
    > TIA

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    | Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    | loaded.
    | I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    |
    | TIA

    Windows XP has an in-built utility to do the conversion. Start | Run type
    CMD then OK, then the command:

    CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

    This is a one-way conversion and the usual caveat comes into play: Back up
    your system beforehand!

    Jef
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    JefN wrote:
    > Windows XP has an in-built utility to do the conversion. Start | Run type
    > CMD then OK, then the command:
    >
    > CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
    >
    > This is a one-way conversion and the usual caveat comes into play: Back up
    > your system beforehand!

    I'd read ... no experince ... that XXCLONE would 'effectively' do this,
    given the HD space needed.
    Dont think that XXCOPY handles NTFS ...
    gotta go read 'up', a little.

    :-)
    Qed.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is
    > already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I
    > wanted when

    Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
    programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
    cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
    used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
    detail.

    --
    Ian
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    yes, there is a conversion utility provided by MS called convert under the
    \windows\system32 folder.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >
    > TIA

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    it works without issue in my experience but as already advised, I would not
    undertake this without a fresh/current backup.

    --

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    >> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >> loaded.
    >> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >>

    > Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a programme to
    > convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process cannot be reversed using
    > the xp tool, and also as I have never used it I can't comment on how well
    > it works, try google for more detail.
    >
    > --
    > Ian

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    | Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
    | programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
    | cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
    | used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
    | detail.
    |
    | --
    | Ian

    Hi Ian -

    The syntax (if my last message in this thread hasn't synced to your server)
    is "CONVERT x: /FS:NTFS" -- there are other options, which may be viewed
    with the CMD line "CONVERT /?".

    Convert works well as advertised. As you say, this is a one-way
    conversion - there is no in-built utility to convert from NTFS to FAT32.

    There is also another limitation: the hard disk converted will have a 512K
    cluster size, which is not always the most efficient. If any other cluster
    size is desired, a 3rd-party partition management tool will be required.

    Jef
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    wrote:

    >Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >loaded.

    Partitionmagic from Powerquest will do it. If it is the C-partition
    (with the OS) then PM (when started from inside windows) will of
    course restart your windows XP (or 2000) and before loading again, it
    converts.

    >I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

    No, why change filesystem. Bootloaders normally choose OS.

    If you are thinking of backup security and the problem that NTFS is
    closed to dos, - there are many workarounds:

    - have several partitions or harddisks. One should be used for backup
    images and it can be in fat32. Then it is possible to backup the NTFS
    partition with Driveimage and restore the image from DOS.

    - one can also use bootable CDs that can read NTFS and can restore a
    backup image even from an NTFS partition
    Bart's PE builder http://www.nu2.nu/

    best regards

    John
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    No.

    --
    DaveW

    "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >
    > TIA

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:47:31 GMT, "JefN"
    <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    | The syntax (if my last message in this thread hasn't synced to your server)
    | is "CONVERT x: /FS:NTFS" -- there are other options, which may be viewed
    | with the CMD line "CONVERT /?".
    |
    | Convert works well as advertised. As you say, this is a one-way
    | conversion - there is no in-built utility to convert from NTFS to FAT32.
    |
    | There is also another limitation: the hard disk converted will have a 512K
    | cluster size, which is not always the most efficient. If any other cluster
    | size is desired, a 3rd-party partition management tool will be required.

    Actually, it will have a 512 cluster size, not 512K. 512 clusters
    will result in excessive fragmentation. In most cases, the ideal
    cluster size is 4K. As you say, a third party program such as
    Partition Magic is needed for that.

    Larc

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
    I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
    to hear you opinions
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    for me its handling files larger than 2gigs

    > ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
    > I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
    > to hear you opinions

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message

    | Actually, it will have a 512 cluster size, not 512K. 512 clusters
    | will result in excessive fragmentation. In most cases, the ideal
    | cluster size is 4K. As you say, a third party program such as
    | Partition Magic is needed for that.
    |
    | Larc

    Hi Larc -

    Fingers went into auto-pilot typing that 512K. I did mean 512 *bytes*...
    and was aware that the usual ideal cluster size is 4K.

    Sorry for the confusion and thanks for playing cleanup for me. ;-)

    Jef
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    The Win XP convert command works just fine to convert a fat32 partition
    to an ntfs partition. you will need to run the following command at
    the command prompt

    To convert your c drive use the following command
    c:\convert c: /fs:ntfs

    Then reboot your computer, During the boot phase, the drive will
    convert the fat32 partion to the ntfs partion. Just make sure you have
    enough free space on the drive.

    To see all the switches for the convert command
    type convert /? at the command prompt

    Apollo wrote:
    > "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is
    >>already
    >>loaded.
    >>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I
    >>wanted when
    >>

    > Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
    > programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
    > cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
    > used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
    > detail.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <Uc9Hd.62$jw1.46@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, retro_cal says...
    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

    Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

    Type...

    convert <drive letter> /FS:NTFS

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    posted on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT:

    > Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    > loaded.
    > I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

    I have a total of about 110 gigabytes of space on two hard drives. I had a
    couple of FAT32 partitions I wanted to convert to NTFS, so I moved all the
    files from the FAT32 to an NTFS partition, reformatted the FAT32 to NTFS,
    then copied then moved the files back.

    Damaeus
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:37:10 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    wrote:

    >ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
    >I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
    >to hear you opinions

    NTFS should require less defragmentation. But of course the 2 gigabyte
    file limit is relevant in these dvd and multimedia age !

    best regards

    John
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:

    > No.

    Where do you come up with these gems of misinformation?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    wrote:

    | ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
    | I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
    | to hear you opinions

    Here's a Microsoft page that covers the main differences:

    http://tinyurl.com/64f7q

    Larc

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    retro_cal wrote:
    > ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
    > I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would
    > like to hear you opinions

    the only reason for using fat32 is if you need fat32 for some reason

    convert /fs:ntfs

    press ya to the questsions, reboot, sorted
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    If you have any floppy disks that you can boot from, don't expect to
    be able to see your NTFS formatted hard disk from the floppy.

    It would be hard to expect NTFS to be more stable in any condition
    other than an (1) errored and (2) multiuser condition.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:37:10 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    wrote:
    < snip >
    >I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
    >to hear you opinions

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >loaded.
    >I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >
    >TIA

    Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
    or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.

    John Lewis
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    that was the hard way!

    --

    "Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    > posted on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT:
    >
    >> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >> loaded.
    >> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >
    > I have a total of about 110 gigabytes of space on two hard drives. I had
    > couple of FAT32 partitions I wanted to convert to NTFS, so I moved all the
    > files from the FAT32 to an NTFS partition, reformatted the FAT32 to NTFS,
    > then copied then moved the files back.
    >
    > Damaeus
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    TomG wrote:
    > that was the hard way!

    <smirk>

    At least "it" was hard.

    A shame thats not your claim to fame.

    :-)
    Qed.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    >wrote:

    >>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >>loaded.
    >>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
    >or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.

    v8.05

    >John Lewis
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message...
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    > wrote:
    >>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
    >>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.
    >
    > v8.05

    It's a five, it's a middle card, are you going higher or lower?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    posted on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:52:52 -0500:

    > that was the hard way!

    Drag and drop isn't hard. Of course, I didn't know about the conversion
    tool, either. Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
    data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)

    For ages now, I've been meaning to lump all my "crucial data" in one
    directory. I would then burn that directory to a CD-R once a week and
    throw out the next oldest CD-R. All the other stuff I could lose. It
    wouldn't make me happy, but I could "rebuild". :-)

    Damaeus
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    ouch!

    --

    "0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
    > TomG wrote:
    >> that was the hard way!
    >
    > <smirk>
    >
    > At least "it" was hard.
    >
    > A shame thats not your claim to fame.
    >
    > :-)
    > Qed.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I won't say the tool is infallible but I have used it several times without
    issue. even a look at the help files associated with Partition Magic 8.x
    says that PM uses the MS convert utility to make the conversion from FAT to
    NTFS.

    --

    > In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
    > posted on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:52:52 -0500:
    >
    >> that was the hard way!
    >
    > Drag and drop isn't hard. Of course, I didn't know about the conversion
    > tool, either. Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
    > data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)
    >
    > For ages now, I've been meaning to lump all my "crucial data" in one
    > directory. I would then burn that directory to a CD-R once a week and
    > throw out the next oldest CD-R. All the other stuff I could lose. It
    > wouldn't make me happy, but I could "rebuild". :-)
    >
    > Damaeus
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Damaeus:

    > Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
    > data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)

    It's supposed to make you think that.
    --
    Mac Cool
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:17:20 GMT, borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
    >>wrote:
    >
    >>>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
    >>>loaded.
    >>>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
    >>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.
    >
    >v8.05

    V8.01, according to the following (today) ...............

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_files.html

    Did Powerquest issue a later patch before being absorbed by Symantec ?
    And if so, why is 8.05 not on the Symantec website.... maybe it had a
    bug ? Partition Magic 8.0 is now a current Symantec product.
    BTW, PM8.0 is a sale item at Fry's through the end of Tuesday
    - net $0 for those updating from a previous version of PM, $39.99 for
    everybody else IIRC.

    John Lewis
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Or you could just do this.............

    Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

    Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

    C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
    Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:17:20 GMT, borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >>wrote:

    >>>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
    >>>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.
    >>
    >>v8.05
    >
    > V8.01, according to the following (today) ...............
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_files.html
    >
    > Did Powerquest issue a later patch before being absorbed by Symantec ?
    > And if so, why is 8.05 not on the Symantec website.... maybe it had a
    > bug ? Partition Magic 8.0 is now a current Symantec product.
    > BTW, PM8.0 is a sale item at Fry's through the end of Tuesday
    > - net $0 for those updating from a previous version of PM, $39.99 for
    > everybody else IIRC.
    >
    > John Lewis

Homebuilt NTFS FAT32 Systems