Fat32 to NTFS

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 5:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
loaded.
I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

TIA

More about : fat32 ntfs

January 18, 2005 5:39:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I know you didn't ask, but starting out on a manipulated foundation is
risky.
Try and save your data and start out fresh from format. Unless your plans
are of a temporary nature.

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>
> TIA

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 6:18:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
| Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
| loaded.
| I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
|
| TIA

Windows XP has an in-built utility to do the conversion. Start | Run type
CMD then OK, then the command:

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

This is a one-way conversion and the usual caveat comes into play: Back up
your system beforehand!

Jef
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 6:18:46 PM

JefN wrote:
> Windows XP has an in-built utility to do the conversion. Start | Run type
> CMD then OK, then the command:
>
> CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
>
> This is a one-way conversion and the usual caveat comes into play: Back up
> your system beforehand!

I'd read ... no experince ... that XXCLONE would 'effectively' do this,
given the HD space needed.
Dont think that XXCOPY handles NTFS ...
gotta go read 'up', a little.

:-)
Qed.
January 18, 2005 6:22:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is
> already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I
> wanted when

Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
detail.

--
Ian
January 18, 2005 6:41:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

yes, there is a conversion utility provided by MS called convert under the
\windows\system32 folder.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>
> TIA

January 18, 2005 6:43:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

it works without issue in my experience but as already advised, I would not
undertake this without a fresh/current backup.

--

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

> "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
>> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>> loaded.
>> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>>

> Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a programme to
> convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process cannot be reversed using
> the xp tool, and also as I have never used it I can't comment on how well
> it works, try google for more detail.
>
> --
> Ian

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 6:47:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

| Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
| programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
| cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
| used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
| detail.
|
| --
| Ian

Hi Ian -

The syntax (if my last message in this thread hasn't synced to your server)
is "CONVERT x: /FS:NTFS" -- there are other options, which may be viewed
with the CMD line "CONVERT /?".

Convert works well as advertised. As you say, this is a one-way
conversion - there is no in-built utility to convert from NTFS to FAT32.

There is also another limitation: the hard disk converted will have a 512K
cluster size, which is not always the most efficient. If any other cluster
size is desired, a 3rd-party partition management tool will be required.

Jef
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 7:02:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
wrote:

>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>loaded.

Partitionmagic from Powerquest will do it. If it is the C-partition
(with the OS) then PM (when started from inside windows) will of
course restart your windows XP (or 2000) and before loading again, it
converts.

>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

No, why change filesystem. Bootloaders normally choose OS.

If you are thinking of backup security and the problem that NTFS is
closed to dos, - there are many workarounds:

- have several partitions or harddisks. One should be used for backup
images and it can be in fat32. Then it is possible to backup the NTFS
partition with Driveimage and restore the image from DOS.

- one can also use bootable CDs that can read NTFS and can restore a
backup image even from an NTFS partition
Bart's PE builder http://www.nu2.nu/

best regards

John
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 7:42:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

No.

--
DaveW

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>
> TIA

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 7:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:47:31 GMT, "JefN"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

| The syntax (if my last message in this thread hasn't synced to your server)
| is "CONVERT x: /FS:NTFS" -- there are other options, which may be viewed
| with the CMD line "CONVERT /?".
|
| Convert works well as advertised. As you say, this is a one-way
| conversion - there is no in-built utility to convert from NTFS to FAT32.
|
| There is also another limitation: the hard disk converted will have a 512K
| cluster size, which is not always the most efficient. If any other cluster
| size is desired, a 3rd-party partition management tool will be required.

Actually, it will have a 512 cluster size, not 512K. 512 clusters
will result in excessive fragmentation. In most cases, the ideal
cluster size is 4K. As you say, a third party program such as
Partition Magic is needed for that.

Larc

a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 8:37:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
to hear you opinions
January 18, 2005 8:37:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

for me its handling files larger than 2gigs

> ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
> I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
> to hear you opinions

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 9:58:39 PM

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message

| Actually, it will have a 512 cluster size, not 512K. 512 clusters
| will result in excessive fragmentation. In most cases, the ideal
| cluster size is 4K. As you say, a third party program such as
| Partition Magic is needed for that.
|
| Larc

Hi Larc -

Fingers went into auto-pilot typing that 512K. I did mean 512 *bytes*...
and was aware that the usual ideal cluster size is 4K.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for playing cleanup for me. ;-)

Jef
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 10:25:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

The Win XP convert command works just fine to convert a fat32 partition
to an ntfs partition. you will need to run the following command at
the command prompt

To convert your c drive use the following command
c:\convert c: /fs:ntfs

Then reboot your computer, During the boot phase, the drive will
convert the fat32 partion to the ntfs partion. Just make sure you have
enough free space on the drive.

To see all the switches for the convert command
type convert /? at the command prompt

Apollo wrote:
> "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
>
>>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is
>>already
>>loaded.
>>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I
>>wanted when
>>

> Search for convert in windows xp help, xp already contains a
> programme to convert fat32 to ntfs. Be aware that the process
> cannot be reversed using the xp tool, and also as I have never
> used it I can't comment on how well it works, try google for more
> detail.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2005 10:50:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

In article <Uc9Hd.62$jw1.46@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, retro_cal says...
> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

Type...

convert <drive letter> /FS:NTFS

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 11:20:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
posted on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT:

> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
> loaded.
> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when

I have a total of about 110 gigabytes of space on two hard drives. I had a
couple of FAT32 partitions I wanted to convert to NTFS, so I moved all the
files from the FAT32 to an NTFS partition, reformatted the FAT32 to NTFS,
then copied then moved the files back.

Damaeus
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 1:10:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:37:10 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
wrote:

>ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
>I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
>to hear you opinions

NTFS should require less defragmentation. But of course the 2 gigabyte
file limit is relevant in these dvd and multimedia age !

best regards

John
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 2:31:46 PM

DaveW wrote:

> No.

Where do you come up with these gems of misinformation?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2005 5:58:48 PM

wrote:

| ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
| I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
| to hear you opinions

Here's a Microsoft page that covers the main differences:

http://tinyurl.com/64f7q

Larc

January 19, 2005 9:36:14 PM

retro_cal wrote:
> ok, so are there any benefits in using NTFS over fat32??
> I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would
> like to hear you opinions

the only reason for using fat32 is if you need fat32 for some reason

convert /fs:ntfs

press ya to the questsions, reboot, sorted
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 2:41:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

If you have any floppy disks that you can boot from, don't expect to
be able to see your NTFS formatted hard disk from the floppy.

It would be hard to expect NTFS to be more stable in any condition
other than an (1) errored and (2) multiuser condition.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:37:10 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
wrote:
< snip >
>I was told to select NTFS as it is more stable than fat32 but I would like
>to hear you opinions

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 3:55:36 AM

wrote:

>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>loaded.
>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>
>TIA

Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.

John Lewis
January 20, 2005 1:52:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

that was the hard way!

--

"Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
> In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
> posted on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT:
>
>> Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>> loaded.
>> I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>
> I have a total of about 110 gigabytes of space on two hard drives. I had
> couple of FAT32 partitions I wanted to convert to NTFS, so I moved all the
> files from the FAT32 to an NTFS partition, reformatted the FAT32 to NTFS,
> then copied then moved the files back.
>
> Damaeus
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 2:20:00 PM

TomG wrote:
> that was the hard way!

<smirk>

At least "it" was hard.

A shame thats not your claim to fame.

:-)
Qed.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 5:17:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
>wrote:

>>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>>loaded.
>>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>>
>>TIA
>>

>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.

v8.05

>John Lewis
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 6:15:49 PM

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message...
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
>>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.
>
> v8.05

It's a five, it's a middle card, are you going higher or lower?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2005 8:58:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
posted on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:52:52 -0500:

> that was the hard way!

Drag and drop isn't hard. Of course, I didn't know about the conversion
tool, either. Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)

For ages now, I've been meaning to lump all my "crucial data" in one
directory. I would then burn that directory to a CD-R once a week and
throw out the next oldest CD-R. All the other stuff I could lose. It
wouldn't make me happy, but I could "rebuild". :-)

Damaeus
January 21, 2005 10:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

ouch!

--

"0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
> TomG wrote:
>> that was the hard way!
>
> <smirk>
>
> At least "it" was hard.
>
> A shame thats not your claim to fame.
>
> :-)
> Qed.
January 21, 2005 10:04:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I won't say the tool is infallible but I have used it several times without
issue. even a look at the help files associated with Partition Magic 8.x
says that PM uses the MS convert utility to make the conversion from FAT to
NTFS.

--

> In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "TomG" <tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
> posted on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:52:52 -0500:
>
>> that was the hard way!
>
> Drag and drop isn't hard. Of course, I didn't know about the conversion
> tool, either. Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
> data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)
>
> For ages now, I've been meaning to lump all my "crucial data" in one
> directory. I would then burn that directory to a CD-R once a week and
> throw out the next oldest CD-R. All the other stuff I could lose. It
> wouldn't make me happy, but I could "rebuild". :-)
>
> Damaeus
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2005 6:22:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Damaeus:

> Plus I don't trust a procedure that tells me to back up my
> data before proceeding. It makes me think something could go wrong. :-)

It's supposed to make you think that.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:17:20 GMT, borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:55:36 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:39:48 GMT, "retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net>
>>wrote:
>
>>>Is there an easy way to convert Fat32 to NTFS whilst windows is already
>>>loaded.
>>>I can't recall seeing the option to chose which file system I wanted when
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>>Use Partition Magic. An indispensible software tool for those building
>>or tinkering with PCs. Now at version 8.01.
>
>v8.05

V8.01, according to the following (today) ...............

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/pmagic/pmagic_8_...

Did Powerquest issue a later patch before being absorbed by Symantec ?
And if so, why is 8.05 not on the Symantec website.... maybe it had a
bug ? Partition Magic 8.0 is now a current Symantec product.
BTW, PM8.0 is a sale item at Fry's through the end of Tuesday
- net $0 for those updating from a previous version of PM, $39.99 for
everybody else IIRC.

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2005 9:11:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Or you could just do this.............

Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

!