12cm PSU

I'm going to have to replace the PSU in my case when I upgrade the
motherboard - I'll need the 12V ATX connector which my current power supply
doesn't have.

Dabs sell a nice and cheerful 550W one but it includes the word "12cm" in
the description.

What's this mean? Size of case, size of fan?

Thanks, Rob.
3 answers Last reply
More about 12cm

    "Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
    > I'm going to have to replace the PSU in my case when I upgrade the
    > motherboard - I'll need the 12V ATX connector which my current power
    > supply doesn't have.
    >
    > Dabs sell a nice and cheerful 550W one but it includes the word "12cm" in
    > the description.
    >
    > What's this mean? Size of case, size of fan?
    >
    > Thanks, Rob.

    Size of fan. Many newer PSUs are switching to 120mm fans as they are
    supposed to be quieter. Well, some of them can be quieter, but size has
    nothing to do with their relative noise level. There are small, quiet fans
    and noisy, larger fans. So it's pretty much a marketing gimmick. -Dave

    Rob Nicholson:

    > What's this mean?

    good advice
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

    --
    Mac Cool

    Dave C. wrote:

    > "Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam_unforgettable.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm going to have to replace the PSU in my case when I upgrade the
    >>motherboard - I'll need the 12V ATX connector which my current power
    >>supply doesn't have.
    >>
    >>Dabs sell a nice and cheerful 550W one but it includes the word "12cm" in
    >>the description.
    >>
    >>What's this mean? Size of case, size of fan?
    >>
    >>Thanks, Rob.
    >

    > Size of fan. Many newer PSUs are switching to 120mm fans as they are
    > supposed to be quieter. Well, some of them can be quieter, but size has
    > nothing to do with their relative noise level.

    That is misleading.

    The 'constant of comparison' is how much CFM the fan puts out, as that's
    the purpose for having it there, and at the same CFM a large fan, all else
    being equal, is quieter than a small fan because the blades turn slower for
    the same output.

    > There are small, quiet fans
    > and noisy, larger fans. So it's pretty much a marketing gimmick. -Dave

Homebuilt Cases Systems