Will this MB/CPU/Mem work together?

KJ

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.peripherals.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Sempron 2400+ (333mhz) 1.67Ghz
Geil Dual Channel (2x256) DDR 3200 (400mhz)

The question I guess is whether the CPU will work with the mem. I assume
it will only utilize it to 333mhz vs 400, but maybe it wouldn't
recognize it at all?

No looking to overclock. Just want to build a new system. Am not a gamer
but prefer a MB with nVidia chipset. Also want IEEE. The Asus has a good
rep' so... but I also looked at FIC Au13 and Gigabyte.

Any other recommendations? I'd like a mobo that will take an Athlon 64
later actually, and the Asus doesn't. (Only b/c I'd like to be able to
upgrade down the road without getting a new mobo.)

I only do AMD so Intel mobo's are out. ;) THX!

"KJ" <KJ@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
> AMD Sempron 2400+ (333mhz) 1.67Ghz
> Geil Dual Channel (2x256) DDR 3200 (400mhz)
>
> The question I guess is whether the CPU will work with the mem. I assume
> it will only utilize it to 333mhz vs 400, but maybe it wouldn't
> recognize it at all?
>
> No looking to overclock. Just want to build a new system. Am not a gamer
> but prefer a MB with nVidia chipset. Also want IEEE. The Asus has a good
> rep' so... but I also looked at FIC Au13 and Gigabyte.
>
> Any other recommendations? I'd like a mobo that will take an Athlon 64
> later actually, and the Asus doesn't. (Only b/c I'd like to be able to
> upgrade down the road without getting a new mobo.)
>
> I only do AMD so Intel mobo's are out. ;) THX!
>
> KJ

Actually, you'll probably end up with the DDR400 running at 200MHz, just
like it's supposed to. Most mainboards now can run CPU and memory
asynchronously. Thus, your CPU might be running at something like 166MHz X
10 (~1.6GHz) while your RAM is running at 200MHz. This will actually slow
your system down slightly, but not enough to worry about. If you bought
PC2700 (DDR333), then your CPU would be running at 166MHz X 10 and your RAM
would also be running at 166MHz, which will tweak your benchmark numbers
slightly, though you won't notice the difference with your own eyes.

You won't find a board that will run a Sempron and an Athlon64. You are out
of luck there, as the pinout is totally different. (it requires a
mechanical change, not just a bios tweak) -Dave

"KJ" <KJ@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> Any other recommendations? I'd like a mobo that will take an Athlon 64
> later actually, and the Asus doesn't. (Only b/c I'd like to be able to
> upgrade down the road without getting a new mobo.)
>
> I only do AMD so Intel mobo's are out. ;) THX!
>
> KJ

Look at socket 754

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"KJ" <KJ@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
>> AMD Sempron 2400+ (333mhz) 1.67Ghz
>> Geil Dual Channel (2x256) DDR 3200 (400mhz)
>>
>> The question I guess is whether the CPU will work with the mem. I assume
>> it will only utilize it to 333mhz vs 400, but maybe it wouldn't
>> recognize it at all?

[...]

>Actually, you'll probably end up with the DDR400 running at 200MHz, just
>like it's supposed to. Most mainboards now can run CPU and memory
>asynchronously. Thus, your CPU might be running at something like 166MHz X
>10 (~1.6GHz) while your RAM is running at 200MHz. This will actually slow
>your system down slightly, but not enough to worry about. If you bought
>PC2700 (DDR333), then your CPU would be running at 166MHz X 10 and your RAM
>would also be running at 166MHz, which will tweak your benchmark numbers
>slightly, though you won't notice the difference with your own eyes.

They were out of 2700 at Frys and I didn't wanna go running all over. ;)

>You won't find a board that will run a Sempron and an Athlon64. You are out
>of luck there, as the pinout is totally different. (it requires a
>mechanical change, not just a bios tweak) -Dave

Yeah, different socket. Guess if this setup lasts me 5 years like the
last one did, I'll be doing okay. Last one I built in 2000 w/ a 500mhz
AMD and a MB that didn't even have b/i USB, so this should be like
heaven. :)

Thank you so very much, I really appreciate it.

KJ