Win ME updates

I ran a number of updates and now I seem to be caught in a loop.

1) PC starts in selective start up mode
2) dialog box pops up that indicates setup was not complete
3) prompted to click RESUME/EXIT SETUP
4) Resume - PC dials ISP logs onto MS Download site
5) Pop up indicates updates are current prompted to EXIT SETUP/REINSTALL
6) click EXIT SETUP go back to step 1 upon rebooting PC
7) click REINSTALL - Pop up indicates PC needs to restart for setup to
complete, restart PC go back to step 1

Any suggestions to break the cycle?

Install the free Belarc Advisor, and peruse the list of critical Win Updates
and their status, near the middle/bottom of the page of the report. If any
Update is red-X'ed, use the Windows Update Catalog to reinstall it/them.
When everything seems fine after a reboot, confirm that there is no
....\Windows\wininit.ini file, and set a manual System Restore point, for
good measure.
www.belarc.com
--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol