Unusual reason for CPU temp to rise?

Are there any unusual reasons for a rise in CPU temperature?

My system temperature is only about 25°C. CPU temperature is at or
above 50°C. As I recall two months ago, the CPU temp was 44°C or less
and case temperature is cooler now. Maybe the CPU fan is slowing down,
but it reads OK.

Here are the easy to guess reasons.
.... CPU fan malfunction
.... clogged CPU heatsink
.... improper heatsink installation or no heatsink grease
.... temperature sensor circuit malfunctioning or temperature sensor
moved closer to CPU

Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about unusual reason temp rise

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    > Are there any unusual reasons for a rise in CPU temperature?
    >
    > My system temperature is only about 25°C. CPU temperature is at or
    > above 50°C. As I recall two months ago, the CPU temp was 44°C or less
    > and case temperature is cooler now. Maybe the CPU fan is slowing down,
    > but it reads OK.
    >
    > Here are the easy to guess reasons.
    > ... CPU fan malfunction
    > ... clogged CPU heatsink
    > ... improper heatsink installation or no heatsink grease
    > ... temperature sensor circuit malfunctioning or temperature sensor
    > moved closer to CPU
    >
    > Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    > Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.

    An unusual reason could be one of the many wires inside the case which may
    be getting in the way and touching the fan blades. This would not break the
    fan but slow it down so it is not working effectively.

    John Doe:

    > Here are the easy to guess reasons.
    > ... CPU fan malfunction
    > ... clogged CPU heatsink
    > ... improper heatsink installation or no heatsink grease
    > ... temperature sensor circuit malfunctioning or temperature sensor
    > moved closer to CPU
    >
    > Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    > Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.

    Eliminate the probable first.
    --
    Mac Cool

    >Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    >Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.

    Yes, pumping. That is where many heating and cooling cycles cause
    paste to be pumped from between the CPU and heat sink. It can't happen
    with pads.

    Matt wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any unusual reasons for a rise in CPU temperature?
    >>
    >> My system temperature is only about 25°C. CPU temperature is at or
    >> above 50°C. As I recall two months ago, the CPU temp was 44°C or less
    >> and case temperature is cooler now. Maybe the CPU fan is slowing down,
    >> but it reads OK.
    >>
    >> Here are the easy to guess reasons.
    >> ... CPU fan malfunction
    >> ... clogged CPU heatsink
    >> ... improper heatsink installation or no heatsink grease
    >> ... temperature sensor circuit malfunctioning or temperature sensor
    >> moved closer to CPU
    >>
    >> Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    >> Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.
    >

    > Increased CPU load from a trojan horse or virus?

    I was thinking along similar lines: a hungry program running in the
    background.

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    John Doe wrote:
    > Are there any unusual reasons for a rise in CPU temperature?
    >
    > My system temperature is only about 25°C. CPU temperature is at or
    > above 50°C. As I recall two months ago, the CPU temp was 44°C or less
    > and case temperature is cooler now. Maybe the CPU fan is slowing down,
    > but it reads OK.
    >
    > Here are the easy to guess reasons.
    > ... CPU fan malfunction
    > ... clogged CPU heatsink
    > ... improper heatsink installation or no heatsink grease
    > ... temperature sensor circuit malfunctioning or temperature sensor
    > moved closer to CPU
    >
    > Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    > Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.

    Did the computer get bumped recently? The interface between the heat
    sink and the CPU die may have been disrupted if the case recieved a
    significant bump.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >> Are there any unusual possibilities? Bus speed or something?
    >> Malfunctioning CPU? Thanks.
    >
    >Did the computer get bumped recently? The interface between the heat
    >sink and the CPU die may have been disrupted if the case recieved a
    >significant bump.

    I removed, cleaned, and replaced the thermal grease & heat sink twice.
    The first time the metal clip was replaced in the opposite direction
    and apparently forced the heat sink to tilt, causing problems.

    What if the heat sink came with thermal tape, is the gap greater
    between the CPU and heat sink? I guess not.

    Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
    >Matt wrote:
    >> John Doe wrote:

    >>> What if the heat sink came with thermal tape, is the gap greater
    >>> between the CPU and heat sink? I guess not.
    >>
    >> I believe that can be a problem with proprietary sockets and
    >> heatsinks---perhaps those found on some Dell P4's. What is the
    >> make of motherboard?
    >
    >Whoops, I didn't mean sockets. I meant proprietary heatsink
    >mounts.

    It's an ordinary Socket A mainboard. Thanks.

    I think it was a weird BIOS update.

    John Doe wrote:
    > Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Matt wrote:

    >>>I believe that can be a problem with proprietary sockets and
    >>>heatsinks---perhaps those found on some Dell P4's. What is the
    >>>make of motherboard?
    >>
    >>Whoops, I didn't mean sockets. I meant proprietary heatsink
    >>mounts.
    >

    > It's an ordinary Socket A mainboard. Thanks.
    >
    > I think it was a weird BIOS update.

    I've seen that once before, so it's not unheard of.

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt CPUs Temperature Systems