Ultra DMA mode 2 question

Device Manager tells me that my 2 Western Digital WD400 disks are running in
Ultra DMA mode 2. The driver version is 5.1.2600.0 dated 01/07/2001. My
system reports this as the most up to date driver although 2001 is quite a
while ago.

The m/b is a Jetway V400DB and I'm on XP with SP2.

I have a feeling (no more than that) that this is a bit slow/out of date -
is it?

Any guidance on this gratefully received.

In article <cslp6q$7s8$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Bill Hercus says...
> Device Manager tells me that my 2 Western Digital WD400 disks are running in
> Ultra DMA mode 2. The driver version is 5.1.2600.0 dated 01/07/2001. My
> system reports this as the most up to date driver although 2001 is quite a
> while ago.
>
> The m/b is a Jetway V400DB and I'm on XP with SP2.
>
> I have a feeling (no more than that) that this is a bit slow/out of date -
> is it?
>
> Any guidance on this gratefully received.

Get some 80 core IDE cables. That motherboard supports up to DMA Mode 5
but you need the right IDE cables.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Bill Hercus" <bill@visit-forres.com> wrote in message
> Device Manager tells me that my 2 Western Digital WD400 disks are running
in
> Ultra DMA mode 2. The driver version is 5.1.2600.0 dated 01/07/2001. My
> system reports this as the most up to date driver although 2001 is quite a
> while ago.
>
> The m/b is a Jetway V400DB and I'm on XP with SP2.
>
> I have a feeling (no more than that) that this is a bit slow/out of date -
> is it?
>
> Any guidance on this gratefully received.

Have you installed the VIA 4 in 1 driver?
Mike.