gavin

Hi

Just upgraded a PII 400mhz Quantex computer with 3 X 128mb PC100 SDRAM. The
computer is reading 192Mb????

The computer runs Win 98. The SDRAM modules have been changed around and
generate the same result. They seem to be correctly installed. None of the
modules seem to be overheating and the CMOS recognised that it has 3 slots
available to RAM chips.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the system isn't using all the
available RAM?

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just upgraded a PII 400mhz Quantex computer with 3 X 128mb PC100 SDRAM. The
> computer is reading 192Mb????
>
> The computer runs Win 98. The SDRAM modules have been changed around and
> generate the same result. They seem to be correctly installed. None of the
> modules seem to be overheating and the CMOS recognised that it has 3 slots
> available to RAM chips.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why the system isn't using all the
> available RAM?

Well, 192 is 3 x 64 Meg so it looks like it's only seeing half of each
memory module. And since you say you just upgraded to it I'd bet you've got
'high density' 128 Meg RAM modules that are incompatible with the motherboard.

If the memory says it's using 16x16 chips then it's 'high density'. Your
board needs modules using 16x8 chips.

Gavin wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just upgraded a PII 400mhz Quantex computer with 3 X 128mb PC100 SDRAM. The
> computer is reading 192Mb????
>
> The computer runs Win 98. The SDRAM modules have been changed around and
> generate the same result. They seem to be correctly installed. None of the
> modules seem to be overheating and the CMOS recognised that it has 3 slots
> available to RAM chips.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why the system isn't using all the
> available RAM?
>
> Cheers
> Gavin

What is the make and model of the mainboard? Perhaps the maximum it can
take is 192mb. Or perhaps it can only have two slots filled with cards
of 128mb. I wonder if at least one of those cards is high density sdram
and the motherboard is supposed to use low density, so it's only
addressing half of one of the cards.

Cheers,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

steveh

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> Gavin wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Just upgraded a PII 400mhz Quantex computer with 3 X 128mb PC100 SDRAM.
>> The
>> computer is reading 192Mb????
>>
>> The computer runs Win 98. The SDRAM modules have been changed around and
>> generate the same result. They seem to be correctly installed. None of
>> the
>> modules seem to be overheating and the CMOS recognised that it has 3
>> slots
>> available to RAM chips.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas as to why the system isn't using all the
>> available RAM?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gavin
>>

> What is the make and model of the mainboard? Perhaps the maximum it can
> take is 192mb. Or perhaps it can only have two slots filled with cards of
> 128mb. I wonder if at least one of those cards is high density sdram and
> the motherboard is supposed to use low density, so it's only addressing
> half of one of the cards.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari

And..
Has the mobo got onboard video, which is using up some memory?

SteveH

gavin

Thanks for your responses.

Is there any way to find out what density of module the board supports? In
fact from the marking on the modules I am still none the wiser as to whether
they are 'high' or 'low' density modules.

Cheers
Gavin

">

Gavin wrote:
> Thanks for your responses.
>
> Is there any way to find out what density of module the board supports?

Yes, that's why I asked for the manufacturer and model of the board!

> In
> fact from the marking on the modules I am still none the wiser as to whether
> they are 'high' or 'low' density modules.
>
> Cheers
> Gavin
>
> ">
>
>>Well, 192 is 3 x 64 Meg so it looks like it's only seeing half of each
>>memory module. And since you say you just upgraded to it I'd bet you've
>
> got
>
>>'high density' 128 Meg RAM modules that are incompatible with the
>
> motherboard.
>
>>If the memory says it's using 16x16 chips then it's 'high density'. Your
>>board needs modules using 16x8 chips.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

gavin

I don't know the name or make of motherboard. Is there a utility available
that can be run on the computer to establish this information?

Gavin wrote:
> I don't know the name or make of motherboard. Is there a utility available
> that can be run on the computer to establish this information?

A screwdriver and a flashlight?

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>Gavin wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for your responses.
>>>
>>>Is there any way to find out what density of module the board supports?
>>
>>Yes, that's why I asked for the manufacturer and model of the board!
>>

>>>In
>>>fact from the marking on the modules I am still none the wiser as to
>
> whether
>
>>>they are 'high' or 'low' density modules.
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Gavin
>>>
>>>">

>>>got

>>>motherboard.

>>--
>>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>>
>>I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
>>neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
>>of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
>>people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
>>volunteer to be a marrow donor:
>>http://www.abmdr.org.au/
>>http://www.marrow.org/

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

gavin

Spodosaurus

Ok, got the screwdriver and torch out.

The motherboard is a Biostar M6TBA version 1.2

Would be grateful if you would let me know which RAM is compatible. What
maximum size of modules, how many, what density, ECC or non-ECC - plus
anything else you think i should know.

Thanks in advance.
Gavin

Gavin wrote:

> Spodosaurus
>
> Ok, got the screwdriver and torch out.
>
> The motherboard is a Biostar M6TBA version 1.2
>
> Would be grateful if you would let me know which RAM is compatible. What
> maximum size of modules, how many, what density, ECC or non-ECC - plus
> anything else you think i should know.

That's a 440BX chipset.

Non-ECC, up to 256 Meg per module, but with 16x8 memory chips. I.E. 'low
density'.

When looking at an online memory supplier, either use their memory selector
or memory that says it's compatible with 'everything'. It'll be the more
expensive version.

For example, this supplier has 'el-cheapo' SDRAM and the 'better' SDRAM
listed side by side.

http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=862

The one on the left is the cheaper version and note:

"DRAM Type High Density OEM

Only works on VIA® KLE133 VT8361A Chipset that support High Density Memory
Only. Will not work with Biostar / Asus / Intel Motherboard or Compaq /
Dell / Gateway system"

Discount houses always lead off their ads with these mostly incompatible,
but attractively cheap, SDRAM modules.

What you need is one of the other two listed as

"Industry Standard
Low Density 16x8 DRAM

Compatibility Guaranteed

Compatible with most Motherboard or Computer System"

You still have to be careful with the "Industry Standard" moniker as some
say that for modules that are not true low density. Look for a
'compatibility' guarantee (and the 16x8 memory chip specification).