Disabled device SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 22, 2005 6:49:04 PM

Ihave re installed win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure of
windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
with AGP).
Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
took many attempts to get this far.

? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on restart
has no effect.
is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
more likely to be the video card.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:18:39 PM

Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
utility.
Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup program.
At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
"virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure
of
> windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
> the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
> with AGP).
> Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
> took many attempts to get this far.
>
> ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
> manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
restart
> has no effect.
> is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
> more likely to be the video card.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 6:21:40 PM

Thanks for replying, The only description i can find of the HD is " Generic
IDE disk type 47" which is not very helpfull. There is no mention of SMART in
the BIOS/CMOS. I have run a full Skandisk, which chumbled away for about 5
hours without any errors.
I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would seem
left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i would
be grateful. thanks john

"Jack Martinelli" wrote:

> Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
> utility.
> Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup program.
> At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
> overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
> --
> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ----------
> "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure
> of
> > windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
> > the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
> > with AGP).
> > Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
> > took many attempts to get this far.
> >
> > ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
> > manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
> restart
> > has no effect.
> > is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
> > more likely to be the video card.

April 28, 2005 2:30:49 AM

Your system reinstalls would not by any chance have been reinstalls over a
copy of Norton software??
Have you been running with the Quack?
Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
If so, then read on......

You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate *.INF
file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read them
and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
actively troubleshooting something)

The Symantec site:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/200...

also
"Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
Adding New Hardware"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
(which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
description)
Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for the
cost of the call.

Good Luck

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Thanks for replying, The only description i can find of the HD is "
> Generic
> IDE disk type 47" which is not very helpfull. There is no mention of SMART
> in
> the BIOS/CMOS. I have run a full Skandisk, which chumbled away for about 5
> hours without any errors.
> I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
> windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
> least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would
> seem
> left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i
> would
> be grateful. thanks john
>
> "Jack Martinelli" wrote:
>
>> Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
>> utility.
>> Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup
>> program.
>> At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
>> overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
>> --
>> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ----------
>> "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete
>> > failure
>> of
>> > windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't
>> > get
>> > the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce
>> > mx440
>> > with AGP).
>> > Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because
>> > it
>> > took many attempts to get this far.
>> >
>> > ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in
>> > device
>> > manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
>> restart
>> > has no effect.
>> > is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is
>> > it
>> > more likely to be the video card.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:52:03 AM

Again thanks for help. I originaly tried to reinstall over the old operating
system but it wouldn't. I then formated the HD and used the startup disk to
do a surface scan. It still took dozens of attempts to install. I do not use
and Norton software, and the only item now listed as a problem device is the
one in my original post. which Sys information says is disabled error 22
(which i belive means it never started). The device manager says that it is
disabled but it will not enable it. there are other entries on the same IRQ
one of which is the video card.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> > I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
> > windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
> > least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would
> > seem
> > left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i
> > would
> > be grateful. thanks john
> >
> > "Jack Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
> >> utility.
> >> Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup
> >> program.
> >> At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
> >> overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
> >> --
> >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS

May 4, 2005 11:30:08 AM

There is nothing to correct.

Error Code 22:
See MS KB 272291 - "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" Problem Device
Entry
in System Information Tool" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=272291) where
you will find it stated that what you are seeing is "by design".

This problem is often the result of having changed the layout of your PCI
cards or following the removal of a card. Forget about this "error" as it
is
unlikely to have an effect and is simply indicating that the place holder
previously used is no longer required.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP Sept 2003
--------

"ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" Problem Device Entry in System
Information Tool"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272291

"Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125174

PCI IRQ Steering Problem Device Entry in System Information Tool :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272291

Troubleshooting Device Driver Issues by Using the Driver Information
Database
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;275499

----------

------
> Again thanks for help. I originaly tried to reinstall over the old
operating
> system but it wouldn't. I then formated the HD and used the startup disk
> do a surface scan. It still took dozens of attempts to install. I do not
use
> and Norton software, and the only item now listed as a problem device is
the
> one in my original post. which Sys information says is disabled error 22
> (which i belive means it never started). The device manager says that it
is
> disabled but it will not enable it. there are other entries on the same
IRQ
> one of which is the video card.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > Your system reinstalls would not by any chance have been reinstalls over
> > copy of Norton software??
> > Have you been running with the Quack?
> > Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
> > If so, then read on......
> >
> > You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
> > c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate
*.INF
> > file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read
them
> > and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
> > You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
> > look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
> > happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
> > actively troubleshooting something)
> >
> > The Symantec site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/200...

> > also
> > "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
> > Adding New Hardware"
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
> > also
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
> > (which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
> > description)
> > Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
> > they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for
the
> > cost of the call.
> >
> > Good Luck
> >

> > --