Disabled device SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus

Ihave re installed win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure of
windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
with AGP).
Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
took many attempts to get this far.

? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on restart
has no effect.
is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
more likely to be the video card.
5 answers Last reply
More about disabled device acpi

    Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
    utility.
    Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup program.
    At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
    overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure
    of
    > windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
    > the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
    > with AGP).
    > Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
    > took many attempts to get this far.
    >
    > ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
    > manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
    restart
    > has no effect.
    > is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
    > more likely to be the video card.

    Thanks for replying, The only description i can find of the HD is " Generic
    IDE disk type 47" which is not very helpfull. There is no mention of SMART in
    the BIOS/CMOS. I have run a full Skandisk, which chumbled away for about 5
    hours without any errors.
    I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
    windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
    least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would seem
    left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i would
    be grateful. thanks john

    "Jack Martinelli" wrote:

    > Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
    > utility.
    > Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup program.
    > At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
    > overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
    > --
    > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ----------
    > "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete failure
    > of
    > > windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't get
    > > the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce mx440
    > > with AGP).
    > > Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because it
    > > took many attempts to get this far.
    > >
    > > ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in device
    > > manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
    > restart
    > > has no effect.
    > > is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is it
    > > more likely to be the video card.

    Your system reinstalls would not by any chance have been reinstalls over a
    copy of Norton software??
    Have you been running with the Quack?
    Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
    If so, then read on......

    You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
    c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate *.INF
    file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read them
    and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
    You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
    look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
    happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
    actively troubleshooting something)

    The Symantec site:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n

    also
    "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
    Adding New Hardware"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
    also
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
    (which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
    description)
    Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
    they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for the
    cost of the call.

    Good Luck

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Thanks for replying, The only description i can find of the HD is "
    > Generic
    > IDE disk type 47" which is not very helpfull. There is no mention of SMART
    > in
    > the BIOS/CMOS. I have run a full Skandisk, which chumbled away for about 5
    > hours without any errors.
    > I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
    > windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
    > least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would
    > seem
    > left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i
    > would
    > be grateful. thanks john
    >
    > "Jack Martinelli" wrote:
    >
    >> Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
    >> utility.
    >> Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup
    >> program.
    >> At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
    >> overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
    >> --
    >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ----------
    >> "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have reinstalled win ME with OEM recovery disk after a complete
    >> > failure
    >> of
    >> > windows, ran surface scandisk and format hard drive because i couldn't
    >> > get
    >> > the new version to install over the old.( proc AMD Athlon, geforce
    >> > mx440
    >> > with AGP).
    >> > Since then system very unstable, but do not want to reinstall because
    >> > it
    >> > took many attempts to get this far.
    >> >
    >> > ? System summ/ problem devices says " SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" in
    >> > device
    >> > manager this is listed as disabled and will not restart, clicking on
    >> restart
    >> > has no effect.
    >> > is the item necessary? is it the cause of my continuing problems, or is
    >> > it
    >> > more likely to be the video card.

    Again thanks for help. I originaly tried to reinstall over the old operating
    system but it wouldn't. I then formated the HD and used the startup disk to
    do a surface scan. It still took dozens of attempts to install. I do not use
    and Norton software, and the only item now listed as a problem device is the
    one in my original post. which Sys information says is disabled error 22
    (which i belive means it never started). The device manager says that it is
    disabled but it will not enable it. there are other entries on the same IRQ
    one of which is the video card.

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
    > > I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
    > > windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would at
    > > least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would
    > > seem
    > > left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i
    > > would
    > > be grateful. thanks john
    > >
    > > "Jack Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Determine the manufacturer of the HD and obtain its diagnostic/repair
    > >> utility.
    > >> Confirm that any S.M.A.R.T capability is enabled in the BIOS setup
    > >> program.
    > >> At a minimum, boot using the WinME EBD, and run scandisk in thorough mode
    > >> overnight to rule out an impending HD failure.
    > >> --
    > >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS

    There is nothing to correct.

    Error Code 22:
    See MS KB 272291 - "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" Problem Device
    Entry
    in System Information Tool" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=272291) where
    you will find it stated that what you are seeing is "by design".

    This problem is often the result of having changed the layout of your PCI
    cards or following the removal of a card. Forget about this "error" as it
    is
    unlikely to have an effect and is simply indicating that the place holder
    previously used is no longer required.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP Sept 2003
    --------

    "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering" Problem Device Entry in System
    Information Tool"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272291

    "Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125174

    PCI IRQ Steering Problem Device Entry in System Information Tool :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272291

    Troubleshooting Device Driver Issues by Using the Driver Information
    Database
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;275499

    ----------

    ------
    > Again thanks for help. I originaly tried to reinstall over the old
    operating
    > system but it wouldn't. I then formated the HD and used the startup disk
    > do a surface scan. It still took dozens of attempts to install. I do not
    use
    > and Norton software, and the only item now listed as a problem device is
    the
    > one in my original post. which Sys information says is disabled error 22
    > (which i belive means it never started). The device manager says that it
    is
    > disabled but it will not enable it. there are other entries on the same
    IRQ
    > one of which is the video card.
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    > > Your system reinstalls would not by any chance have been reinstalls over
    > > copy of Norton software??
    > > Have you been running with the Quack?
    > > Are you running Norton System Quack - - errr - Doctor?
    > > If so, then read on......
    > >
    > > You may have up to 32,000 empty OEM*.INF files sitting in your
    > > c:\Windows\INF folder, which prevents any program putting a legitimate
    *.INF
    > > file in there (it also slow your system down to stop, trying to read
    them
    > > and sort the [non-existent] contents!).
    > > You need to DELETE all 0byte (and ONLY the 0byte) OEM*.INF files.
    > > look here for information on how to do that , and how to prevent it
    > > happening again (i.e. TURN OFF NORTON SYSTEM DOCTOR - unless you are
    > > actively troubleshooting something)
    > >
    > > The Symantec site:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n

    > > also
    > > "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or
    > > Adding New Hardware"
    > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967)
    > > also
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301540
    > > (which contains the fix for your problem in the NOTE under the patch
    > > description)
    > > Phone your Local MS office, and tell them your problem quoting Q301540 -
    > > they'll either send you the patch, or give you a one-use password, for
    the
    > > cost of the call.
    > >
    > > Good Luck
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > Thanks for replying, The only description i can find of the HD is "
    > > > Generic
    > > > IDE disk type 47" which is not very helpfull. There is no mention of
    SMART
    > > > in
    > > > the BIOS/CMOS. I have run a full Skandisk, which chumbled away for
    about 5
    > > > hours without any errors.
    > > > I belived that this was a problem left over from the reinstalation of
    > > > windows, which took upwards of 20 attempts to get a system which would
    at
    > > > least boot ( kept stopping duting hardware det. and PNP), and it would
    > > > seem
    > > > left many conflicts within the system. if you have any further ideas i
    > > > would
    > > > be grateful. thanks john

Devices Windows