Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Zero Configuration Service Problem

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Computers
  • Configuration
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 18, 2005 12:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing.
But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
computer finishes booting normally.

Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally but
the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack 2.
Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : wireless configuration service problem

July 20, 2005 5:04:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

This is just a guess, but the first one appears to be an update for Windows
and Office. You might check any settings for those as far as security.

The second one is for the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. It is
probably doing something or is having a conflict with your anti-virus
software. Check the Event viewer to see if any errors show up at boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891717/

The last one I could not find much information about.

My best guess would be the KB890830 one.

Clark




"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9F65C4BB-3526-4598-9B8D-22D75AA17111@microsoft.com...
> On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
> automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
> Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
> No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
> nothing.
> But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
> computer finishes booting normally.
>
> Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
> Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally
> but
> the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
> installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack
> 2.
> Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
>
> The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
>
July 20, 2005 5:04:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Thanks for replying. I have looked through all the event logs but there are
no errors.

"Clark" wrote:

> This is just a guess, but the first one appears to be an update for Windows
> and Office. You might check any settings for those as far as security.
>
> The second one is for the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. It is
> probably doing something or is having a conflict with your anti-virus
> software. Check the Event viewer to see if any errors show up at boot.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891717/
>
> The last one I could not find much information about.
>
> My best guess would be the KB890830 one.
>
> Clark
>
>
>
>
> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9F65C4BB-3526-4598-9B8D-22D75AA17111@microsoft.com...
> > On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
> > automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
> > Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
> > No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
> > nothing.
> > But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
> > computer finishes booting normally.
> >
> > Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
> > Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally
> > but
> > the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
> > installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack
> > 2.
> > Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
> >
> > The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> >
>
>
>
August 4, 2005 3:44:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I've run into the same problem, on seperate laptops.
If the wireless is disabled in the OS, they log in fine, if not, it takes 2+
minutes.

I think I've narrowed it down to the KB903235 as causing the problem,
exactly what about it I don't know yet, I'm still trying things.



"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:924EF6C1-52F4-4AD2-8A82-524A582C96CB@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for replying. I have looked through all the event logs but there
> are
> no errors.
>
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> This is just a guess, but the first one appears to be an update for
>> Windows
>> and Office. You might check any settings for those as far as security.
>>
>> The second one is for the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. It is
>> probably doing something or is having a conflict with your anti-virus
>> software. Check the Event viewer to see if any errors show up at boot.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891717/
>>
>> The last one I could not find much information about.
>>
>> My best guess would be the KB890830 one.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9F65C4BB-3526-4598-9B8D-22D75AA17111@microsoft.com...
>> > On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
>> > automatic updates last week, the following happens at login:
>> > Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is
>> > it.
>> > No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
>> > nothing.
>> > But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and
>> > the
>> > computer finishes booting normally.
>> >
>> > Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
>> > Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally
>> > but
>> > the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
>> > installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service
>> > Pack
>> > 2.
>> > Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jeff
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
!