Replaced CPU fan; computer no longer boots :-(

The CPU fan in one of my computers was failing, so I got a new one and
replaced it. Now the computer does not boot (other than the failing fan,
it was fine before).

Symptoms:
-- the CPU and case fans run when powered up
-- the hard drive seems to run briefly when first powered
-- the monitor indicates it is not getting a video signal,
although the monitor does flicker briefly if the reset
button is pushed
-- I have it connected through a Belkin KVM switch; the
KVM switch acts like it /is/ receiving a video signal
(no flashing light) when the computer is on
-- the monitor works fine with my other computer

Any suggestions on what might be wrong, or what I can do to figure it out?
Thanks in advance...

-Dave
2 answers Last reply
More about replaced computer longer boots

    "register_allocation" <register_allocation@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > The CPU fan in one of my computers was failing, so I got a new one and
    > replaced it. Now the computer does not boot (other than the failing fan,
    > it was fine before).
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > -- the CPU and case fans run when powered up
    > -- the hard drive seems to run briefly when first powered
    > -- the monitor indicates it is not getting a video signal,
    > although the monitor does flicker briefly if the reset
    > button is pushed

    Hi, when you say replaced the fan, do you mean the whole Heatsink and fan or
    just the fan on the heatsink. If you have changed the whole lot HSF, then
    you haven't accidently pulled the processor out of the socket slightly or
    damaged a pin on CPU where the thermal paste was applied between the CPU and
    Heatsink. Or you haven't put to much pressure on the clips on the HSF and
    have cracked the mobo or CPU.

    Also do the system get any beeps or anything, and also what processor is it.
    Hope this helps.

    "Anthony Harris" <acharris20@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > "register_allocation" <register_allocation@lycos.com> wrote in message
    >> The CPU fan in one of my computers was failing, so I got a new one
    >> and replaced it. Now the computer does not boot (other than the
    >> failing fan, it was fine before).
    >>
    >> Symptoms:
    >> -- the CPU and case fans run when powered up
    >> -- the hard drive seems to run briefly when first powered
    >> -- the monitor indicates it is not getting a video signal,
    >> although the monitor does flicker briefly if the reset
    >> button is pushed
    >>
    > Hi, when you say replaced the fan, do you mean the whole Heatsink and
    > fan or just the fan on the heatsink.

    The heatsink and the fan.

    > If you have changed the whole
    > lot HSF, then you haven't accidently pulled the processor out of the
    > socket slightly

    It's a Socket-A (AMD Duron 900Mhz), so it doesn't seem like it could be
    out of the socket. I did try reseating it anyway, and it didn't help.

    > Also do the system get any beeps or anything, and also what processor
    > is it. Hope this helps.

    No beeps... I also connected the fan to the same plug, so it doesn't
    seem like the problem the other poster suggested.

Homebuilt Computer CPUs Systems