Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

KB891711.EXE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 23, 2005 3:44:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I recently noticed that my computer hangs in certain webpages, so i checked
what processes are running.(using stayalive)

I found that there is a program called KB891711.EXE runnign everytime
windows boots up.

is this a nromal windows process?

version 4.10.0.2223
description Windows KB891711 component
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1991-2005

it was ,...

created tuesday april 12 2005
modified wednesday, march 23 2004
accesses Today, April 22, 2005

how can it be modified bwefore it was created?

is this a virus?

thanks all

i run windows me, 800 mhz emachine

More about : kb891711 exe

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:19:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes, this is a legitimate Windows program - running as a Service to protect
you against some of the latest nasties on the internet.

The reason that the Created date is later than the Modified date is that the
Creation date is the date it's saved to your PCC, the Modified date is the
date it was last saved by Microsoft before release through Windows Update.
This again is quite normal - and you'll see similar effects with all Windows
files, and many other program files.



--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"sean" <sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FCB81DAB-E7E8-412D-BE04-9448C146184F@microsoft.com...
>I recently noticed that my computer hangs in certain webpages, so i checked
> what processes are running.(using stayalive)
>
> I found that there is a program called KB891711.EXE runnign everytime
> windows boots up.
>
> is this a nromal windows process?
>
> version 4.10.0.2223
> description Windows KB891711 component
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1991-2005
>
> it was ,...
>
> created tuesday april 12 2005
> modified wednesday, march 23 2004
> accesses Today, April 22, 2005
>
> how can it be modified bwefore it was created?
>
> is this a virus?
>
> thanks all
>
> i run windows me, 800 mhz emachine
>
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 3:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You should go back to Windows Update and install the latest critical
updates, this one caused some problems with a few people but has now
been updated.
Joan

sean wrote:
> I recently noticed that my computer hangs in certain webpages, so i checked
> what processes are running.(using stayalive)
>
> I found that there is a program called KB891711.EXE runnign everytime
> windows boots up.
>
> is this a nromal windows process?
>
> version 4.10.0.2223
> description Windows KB891711 component
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1991-2005
>
> it was ,...
>
> created tuesday april 12 2005
> modified wednesday, march 23 2004
> accesses Today, April 22, 2005
>
> how can it be modified bwefore it was created?
>
> is this a virus?
>
> thanks all
>
> i run windows me, 800 mhz emachine
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:22:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Oops! has he got the latest, I told him to go back to WU.
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Yes, this is a legitimate Windows program - running as a Service to protect
> you against some of the latest nasties on the internet.
>
> The reason that the Created date is later than the Modified date is that the
> Creation date is the date it's saved to your PCC, the Modified date is the
> date it was last saved by Microsoft before release through Windows Update.
> This again is quite normal - and you'll see similar effects with all Windows
> files, and many other program files.
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yup - 'created April 12th.' - mod March 23rd - the earlier version was mod
Feb <somedate>


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23fJeCb$RFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Oops! has he got the latest, I told him to go back to WU.
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
>> Yes, this is a legitimate Windows program - running as a Service to
>> protect you against some of the latest nasties on the internet.
>>
>> The reason that the Created date is later than the Modified date is that
>> the Creation date is the date it's saved to your PCC, the Modified date
>> is the date it was last saved by Microsoft before release through Windows
>> Update. This again is quite normal - and you'll see similar effects with
>> all Windows files, and many other program files.
>>
>>
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 8:23:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

My bad, trying to read too many things at once here what with in here
and at Aumha forums I'm getting quite dizzy <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Yup - 'created April 12th.' - mod March 23rd - the earlier version was mod
> Feb <somedate>
>
>
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:37:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Followup:
The first KB891711 executable was version 4.10.000.2222, and the superceding
second one is 4.10.000.2223.

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ut01fhBSFHA.3088@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My bad, trying to read too many things at once here what with in here
> and at Aumha forums I'm getting quite dizzy <g>
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
> > Yup - 'created April 12th.' - mod March 23rd - the earlier version was
mod
> > Feb <somedate>
> >
> >
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:09:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks Jack got that much going on here I just jumped in but at least I
didn't do any harm <g>
Just started again lurking in XP General, now my head will be in a spin
<g>
Joan



Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Followup:
> The first KB891711 executable was version 4.10.000.2222, and the
> superceding second one is 4.10.000.2223.
>
>
May 5, 2005 4:29:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> Just started again lurking in XP General, now my head will be in a spin

If you hear Tubular Bells, run for it!


Shane
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:09:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
I do that when I see how many are coming in <g>
Joan


Shane wrote:
>> Just started again lurking in XP General, now my head will be in a
>> spin
>
> If you hear Tubular Bells, run for it!
>
>
> Shane
!