No Sound, No Volume Control, No More Ideas...

Recently, without me doing anything that should have caused it, the sound on
my computer stopped working. Every time I try and access an audio or video
file, I recieve a message telling me that the device is aready in use.
However, when I check the hardware configuration there are no conflicts
indicated. Also, the volume control is not working on the taskbar, opening
sndvol32.exe through Run doesn't do anything, and when I try to restore the
icon through the Control Pannel, the option is greyed out.

I have tried the following to solve this problem:
- checked the speakers, etc.
- tinkering with the System.ini settings per online databases
- reinstalling the sound card driver
- reinstalling Windows ME (it keeps hanging at around 66%)
- using Windows Update (I figured I'd try it)

This happened to me once before, about a year ago, and I fixed it, but I
can't remember what I did. Anyone have any suggestions?

Please either post responses here or e-mail them to o_s_card@hotmail.com.

None of this helped. The biggest probelm from where I sit is that the "show
volume control" option is checked, but greyed out, meaning that something is
preventing me from accessing this option.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop with a Creative Labs Sound
Blaster Live sound card. All is original specs; it's the one computer I have
that I haven't modified.

"Mart" wrote:

> OK - My 'usual' response to 'Sound' issues is as follows - check each
> accordingly. (Sorry for duplication)
>
> NB - only if applicable!! - Confirm in your BIOS that your 'on-board' sound
> card is enabled - (see user handbook)
>
> and/or
>
> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the Show
> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>
> and/or
>
> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab and
> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>
> and/or
>
> 'Remove' any/all or your sound card(s) using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
> Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card drivers. **N.B. You MUST do
> this in Safe Mode**
>
> If still unsuccessful, come back with information on the motherboard or
> sound card
> details
>
> HTH
>
> Mart

Mmm... Are you using Creative's own drivers, or WinMe WDM (Windows Driver
Model) drivers? There is a known issue with the missing speaker icon. See
"BUG: Speaker Icon Is Missing After You Install WDM Audio Driver"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245262

BTW - There are some 12 "volume control" related articles in the KB for
WinMe which may be worth checking out.

In your first post, you stated :-
> Also, the volume control is not working on the taskbar,
> opening sndvol32.exe through Run doesn't do anything,

I wonder if you have a damaged sndvol32.exe file? It should - of course -
bring up the 'Master Volume' box.

When you boot-up (Normal or Safe Mode), do you hear the WinMe Windows
fanfare (logon.wav) at start-up?

Other than "Removing" in Safe Mode (essential) and re-detecting your sound
card and drivers, I'm out of ideas too - but begin wonder if you've got some
other Audio device e.g. voice modem etc., that *may* be causing some sort of
conflict - or worst case, a faulty sound card 8>((

Mart

"o_s_card" <o_s_card@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> None of this helped. The biggest probelm from where I sit is that the
> "show
> volume control" option is checked, but greyed out, meaning that something
> is
> preventing me from accessing this option.
>
> The computer is a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop with a Creative Labs Sound
> Blaster Live sound card. All is original specs; it's the one computer I
> have
> that I haven't modified.
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
>> OK - My 'usual' response to 'Sound' issues is as follows - check each
>> accordingly. (Sorry for duplication)
>>
>> NB - only if applicable!! - Confirm in your BIOS that your 'on-board'
>> sound
>> card is enabled - (see user handbook)
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
>> Show
>> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
>> and
>> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>>
>> and/or
>>
>> 'Remove' any/all or your sound card(s) using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
>> Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card drivers. **N.B. You MUST
>> do
>> this in Safe Mode**
>>
>> If still unsuccessful, come back with information on the motherboard or
>> sound card
>> details
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart

I am using Creative's own drivers; besides, as the bug report states, the
solution to the WDM driver issue is to recheck the "sohow volume control"
box, which I cannot do because the box is greyed out.

I have also tried reinstalling sndvol32.exe, with no success, so I doubt
it's just the file.

I do not hear any sounds on startup, or at any other time.

I am positive that there are no device conflicts, or at least that Windows
is not detecting any if they exist.

I would think a faulty sound card could be the culprit, except that it's
done this once beofre and I was able to resolve it without ever opening the
box.

Mart, I appreciate you trying to help me out with this.

So... anyone have any more suggestions?

"Mart" wrote:

> Mmm... Are you using Creative's own drivers, or WinMe WDM (Windows Driver
> Model) drivers? There is a known issue with the missing speaker icon. See
> "BUG: Speaker Icon Is Missing After You Install WDM Audio Driver"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245262
>
> BTW - There are some 12 "volume control" related articles in the KB for
> WinMe which may be worth checking out.
>
> In your first post, you stated :-
> > Also, the volume control is not working on the taskbar,
> > opening sndvol32.exe through Run doesn't do anything,
>
> I wonder if you have a damaged sndvol32.exe file? It should - of course -
> bring up the 'Master Volume' box.
>
> When you boot-up (Normal or Safe Mode), do you hear the WinMe Windows
> fanfare (logon.wav) at start-up?
>
> Other than "Removing" in Safe Mode (essential) and re-detecting your sound
> card and drivers, I'm out of ideas too - but begin wonder if you've got some
> other Audio device e.g. voice modem etc., that *may* be causing some sort of
> conflict - or worst case, a faulty sound card 8>((
>
> Mart

Just a thought, but having looked at Dell's site :-
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1074687&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=#4

Halfway down the page in the 'Rear View' diagram, it appears to show that
the 4100 comes with ADI 198X Integrated Audio.

Maybe a daft question, but if so, are you sure that it has been disabled in
your BIOS?

But this should have shown up in Device Manager anyway. Oh well, still out
of ideas.