  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 24, 2005 4:06:42 AM

Have no idea why but.........recently when I try to view a web page Full
Screen I get a Microsoft error asking if I'd like to send a report or not.
Doesn't matter whether I do or not because IE closes either way. I tried
cliking on the "more info" & it states that there may be a problem with XP
Service pack 2 & suggests I d-load & install.
I don't have XP as my operating system I have ME.
Anyone with ideas on how I can regain the Full Screen View again?
TIA

Fred

More about : lost full screen view

April 24, 2005 9:31:36 PM

Fred Wrote:
> Have no idea why but.........recently when I try to view a web page
> Full
> Screen I get a Microsoft error asking if I'd like to send a report or
> not.
> Doesn't matter whether I do or not because IE closes either way. I
> tried
> cliking on the "more info" & it states that there may be a problem with
> XP
> Service pack 2 & suggests I d-load & install.
> I don't have XP as my operating system I have ME.
> Anyone with ideas on how I can regain the Full Screen View again?
> TIA
>
> Fred

It appears you are actually running a 'hybrid' version of Windows which
includes some elements of Windows ME and some elements of Windows XP,
though quite how this has happened is anybody's guess. Certainly if it
was me I would do a fresh install of Windows ME (after formatting)
before trying to find the cause elsewhere.

--
pip22
Anonymous

Begin by attempting to repair IE using the repair tool in Add- Remove
Programs for IE.
Begin to uninstall IE and three options will be offered. Choose the repair
option.

--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
"pip22" <pip22.1o0h00@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p ip22.1o0h00@news.win98banter.com...

> Fred Wrote:
> > Have no idea why but.........recently when I try to view a web page
> > Full
> > Screen I get a Microsoft error asking if I'd like to send a report or
> > not.
> > Doesn't matter whether I do or not because IE closes either way. I
> > tried
> > cliking on the "more info" & it states that there may be a problem with
> > XP
> > Service pack 2 & suggests I d-load & install.
> > I don't have XP as my operating system I have ME.
> > Anyone with ideas on how I can regain the Full Screen View again?
> > TIA
> >
> > Fred
>
> It appears you are actually running a 'hybrid' version of Windows which
> includes some elements of Windows ME and some elements of Windows XP,
> though quite how this has happened is anybody's guess. Certainly if it
> was me I would do a fresh install of Windows ME (after formatting)
> before trying to find the cause elsewhere.
>

> --
> pip22
Related resources
April 26, 2005 3:56:36 PM

"Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in

> Begin by attempting to repair IE using the repair tool in Add- Remove
> Programs for IE.
> Begin to uninstall IE and three options will be offered. Choose the
> repair option.

I tried what you suggested & the repair didn't resolve the problem.
When I opened the Add/Remove section I noticed along with the entry:
"Microsoft IE6 SP1 & Internet tools" (which is what I used to do the
repair) there was also an item "Internet Explorer Q890923".
I checked the Knowledge Base on MS web site & could not find any
information on that.
I did however, after running Belarc Advisor see that this is a security
update.So, I assume that should be there.
When I run the Win ME update it says there are "no available updates at
this time".
I would really rather resolve this issue some way other than re-installing
Windows ME.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:00:02 PM

1) MS05-020: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
Article ID : 890923
Last Review : April 26, 2005
Revision : 5.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890923

2) You used the correct tool, and it is unfortunate that the repair did not
succeed.

Since it appears you have some bastard "hybrid" IE, with XP and WinME files,
consider uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling it.
You may wish to obtain the installation file first before the uninstall.

I have never heard of your problem before, so you are in uncharted waters,
AFAIK.
--
"Fred" <fred853@verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in
>
> > Begin by attempting to repair IE using the repair tool in Add- Remove
> > Programs for IE.
> > Begin to uninstall IE and three options will be offered. Choose the
> > repair option.
> >
> I tried what you suggested & the repair didn't resolve the problem.
> When I opened the Add/Remove section I noticed along with the entry:
> "Microsoft IE6 SP1 & Internet tools" (which is what I used to do the
> repair) there was also an item "Internet Explorer Q890923".
> I checked the Knowledge Base on MS web site & could not find any
> information on that.
> I did however, after running Belarc Advisor see that this is a security
> update.So, I assume that should be there.
> When I run the Win ME update it says there are "no available updates at
> this time".
> I would really rather resolve this issue some way other than re-installing
> Windows ME.
>
> Any other suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

April 27, 2005 3:58:47 AM

> 1) MS05-020: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
> Article ID : 890923
> Last Review : April 26, 2005
> Revision : 5.0
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890923
>
> 2) You used the correct tool, and it is unfortunate that the repair
> did not succeed.
>
> Since it appears you have some bastard "hybrid" IE, with XP and WinME
> files, consider uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling it.
> You may wish to obtain the installation file first before the
> uninstall.
>
> I have never heard of your problem before, so you are in uncharted
> waters, AFAIK.

Thanks again for replying Jack.
This is really strange. I can't think of anything I might have done to
cause the problem. I was wondering if I should use a System Restore point
before my last WIN ME update.
Would that be wise or should I just un-install IE6?

Thanks for your time,
Fred
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:33:24 AM

Using SR to revert to a time previous to noticing the problem may well work.
However, the farther back you go will/may cause other problems with any
programs you installed after the checkpoint's reversion date. Only you can
decide the cost/benefit issue.
OTH, if the initial SR reversion fails, you can use SR to undo the
reversion, also.
At that point, you can consider the uninstall/reinstall of IE6.

You may wish to do a complete system backup, even though this system is
problematic, so you can restore in the event of a castastrophe. You would
be where you are now, ready for another attempt to repair.

Another possibility is to install a different, third-party Mail / News
reader.
Several regular readers here have reported success with the free Mozilla
Thunderbird, and Opera is highly regarded. Agent is a fine news reader, I'm
told. I have only casual exprience with each, but they are a "quick fix"
for your dilemma.

Hopefully, your most probable "worst possible case" would be a full
"in-place" reinstallation, to recover IE6:

WinME "in-place" reinstallation:
http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

"When reinstalling Win Me over itself, where Internet Explorer 6
has been installed, it is critically ESSENTIAL to first remove IE 6.
If IE6 is present during the reinstallation, Internet Explorer will become a
total
version-mismatch mess due to setup's attempt to install the CD's original IE
5.5.
Noel's site has a link to a small program that will help you do this.

Furthermore, if Windows Media Player 9 has been installed it is also
ESSENTIAL
to rename the file "wmploc.dll" to "wmploc.old". The reason being that if
WMP9's
version of "wmploc.dll" is present during the reinstallation, setup will
throw up
an error mentioning "verx". "
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

If this also fails, then you are left with a "clean" reinstallation, which
will certainly succeed, but is quite tedious, if you have many programs
installed.
--
> "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in
>
> > 1) MS05-020: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
> > Article ID : 890923
> > Last Review : April 26, 2005
> > Revision : 5.0
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890923
> >
> > 2) You used the correct tool, and it is unfortunate that the repair
> > did not succeed.
> >
> > Since it appears you have some bastard "hybrid" IE, with XP and WinME
> > files, consider uninstalling IE6 and reinstalling it.
> > You may wish to obtain the installation file first before the
> > uninstall.
> >
> > I have never heard of your problem before, so you are in uncharted
> > waters, AFAIK.
>
> Thanks again for replying Jack.
> This is really strange. I can't think of anything I might have done to
> cause the problem. I was wondering if I should use a System Restore point
> before my last WIN ME update.
> Would that be wise or should I just un-install IE6?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Fred

April 28, 2005 6:16:04 AM

Hello Jack,
Thanks again for your help.
I guess I'll have to give some thought as to which option to go with.
I'm reluctant to go with the complete re-install of ME if I can possibly
avoid.
I'll most probably try the re-install of IE6,

Why is it you suggested possibly using a 3rd party mail & news reader
programs?
I've used Pegasus Mail for many years & am very satisfied with it.
I also use Xnews as a news reader & likewise have used it for a long time.
I'm just curious why you suggested that.

Fred

> Using SR to revert to a time previous to noticing the problem may well
> work. However, the farther back you go will/may cause other problems
> with any programs you installed after the checkpoint's reversion date.
> Only you can decide the cost/benefit issue.
> OTH, if the initial SR reversion fails, you can use SR to undo the
> reversion, also.
> At that point, you can consider the uninstall/reinstall of IE6.
>
> You may wish to do a complete system backup, even though this system
> is problematic, so you can restore in the event of a castastrophe.
> You would be where you are now, ready for another attempt to repair.
>
> Another possibility is to install a different, third-party Mail / News
> reader.
> Several regular readers here have reported success with the free
> Mozilla Thunderbird, and Opera is highly regarded. Agent is a fine
> news reader, I'm told. I have only casual exprience with each, but
> they are a "quick fix" for your dilemma.
>
> Hopefully, your most probable "worst possible case" would be a full
> "in-place" reinstallation, to recover IE6:
>
> WinME "in-place" reinstallation:
> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
>
> "When reinstalling Win Me over itself, where Internet Explorer 6
> has been installed, it is critically ESSENTIAL to first remove IE 6.
> If IE6 is present during the reinstallation, Internet Explorer will
> become a total
> version-mismatch mess due to setup's attempt to install the CD's
> original IE 5.5.
> Noel's site has a link to a small program that will help you do this.
>
> Furthermore, if Windows Media Player 9 has been installed it is also
> ESSENTIAL
> to rename the file "wmploc.dll" to "wmploc.old". The reason being
> that if WMP9's
> version of "wmploc.dll" is present during the reinstallation, setup
> will throw up
> an error mentioning "verx". "
April 30, 2005 6:10:49 AM

I think I may have found the cause of this problem.
The only program I installed recently was an update to 1-Click Answer.
I un-installed it & now seem to have the Full Screen View back.
If it turns out that this isn't the cause I'll post back again but right
now everything seems to be working OK.
I'm posting this just in case anyone else experiences a similar problem.
I really liked the 1-Click program but that at the loss og losing the Full
Screen View.

Thanks to those that responded to my calls for assistance.

Fred
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:27:15 AM

Txs for the update, Fred. Glad to hear you may have isolated the problem.

------

!