help needed fixing fatherinlaws PC

Hi
My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets lots
of errors and crashes etc.

Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows just
yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
(which is a lot)
So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he needs
for work on there.

Would this work?

Many thanks for any help

--

Kind regards,

Chris and Sarah Plows
4 answers Last reply
More about help needed fixing fatherinlaws

    "Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
    > seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
    > programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets
    > lots of errors and crashes etc.
    >
    > Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows just
    > yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
    > (which is a lot)
    > So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
    > install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
    > boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he
    > needs for work on there.
    >
    > Would this work?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help

    Yeah, that would work. It would be a lot easier to just install a DVD
    burner, though. If you get a dual-layer DVD burner (about $70), you can
    burn almost 9GB of data onto one disc which costs about $10 currently.
    Alternatively, you can use ~4.7GB DVD media, which cost less than a buck a
    piece. Some people don't have that much software/data on their entire hard
    drive!!! Have him back up everything he needs, and then he can format the
    hard drive. If he doesn't even want to open the case, he could even use an
    EXTERNAL DVD burner. -Dave

    start in safe mode and get your data moved off the c/windows folder
    then either delete c/windows or install over the top. Your software is
    bunk because it was never installed, just copy / pasted to a hard
    drive.

    "Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems
    that
    > seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his
    old
    > programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but
    gets lots
    > of errors and crashes etc.
    >
    > Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows
    just
    > yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs
    keeping
    > (which is a lot)
    > So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe
    > install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it,
    then
    > boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs
    he needs
    > for work on there.
    >
    > Would this work?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Chris and Sarah Plows

    yeah it`ll work for FILES but not for PROGRAMS

    you cant "install" programs onto a c drive from a d drive....its not as
    simple as that!

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
    > > seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
    > > programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets
    > > lots of errors and crashes etc.
    > >
    > > Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows
    just
    > > yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
    > > (which is a lot)
    > > So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
    > > install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
    > > boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he
    > > needs for work on there.
    > >
    > > Would this work?
    > >
    > > Many thanks for any help
    > >

    > Yeah, that would work. It would be a lot easier to just install a DVD
    > burner, though. If you get a dual-layer DVD burner (about $70), you can
    > burn almost 9GB of data onto one disc which costs about $10 currently.
    > Alternatively, you can use ~4.7GB DVD media, which cost less than a buck a
    > piece. Some people don't have that much software/data on their entire
    hard
    > drive!!! Have him back up everything he needs, and then he can format the
    > hard drive. If he doesn't even want to open the case, he could even use
    an
    > EXTERNAL DVD burner. -Dave

    Chris:

    > So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
    > install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it,
    > then boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the
    > programs he needs for work on there.

    That's what I would do. Leave the old drive as a slave, delete the
    programs on it and he can store his docs on it.
    --
    Mac Cool

Homebuilt Systems