help needed fixing fatherinlaws PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 20, 2005 5:36:14 PM

Hi
My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets lots
of errors and crashes etc.

Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows just
yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
(which is a lot)
So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he needs
for work on there.

Would this work?

Many thanks for any help

--

Kind regards,

Chris and Sarah Plows
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 5:36:15 PM

"Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
> seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
> programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets
> lots of errors and crashes etc.
>
> Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows just
> yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
> (which is a lot)
> So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
> install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
> boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he
> needs for work on there.
>
> Would this work?
>
> Many thanks for any help

Yeah, that would work. It would be a lot easier to just install a DVD
burner, though. If you get a dual-layer DVD burner (about $70), you can
burn almost 9GB of data onto one disc which costs about $10 currently.
Alternatively, you can use ~4.7GB DVD media, which cost less than a buck a
piece. Some people don't have that much software/data on their entire hard
drive!!! Have him back up everything he needs, and then he can format the
hard drive. If he doesn't even want to open the case, he could even use an
EXTERNAL DVD burner. -Dave
January 20, 2005 5:36:15 PM

start in safe mode and get your data moved off the c/windows folder
then either delete c/windows or install over the top. Your software is
bunk because it was never installed, just copy / pasted to a hard
drive.

"Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems
that
> seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his
old
> programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but
gets lots
> of errors and crashes etc.
>
> Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows
just
> yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs
keeping
> (which is a lot)
> So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe
> install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it,
then
> boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs
he needs
> for work on there.
>
> Would this work?
>
> Many thanks for any help
>
> --
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris and Sarah Plows

a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 10:25:10 PM

yeah it`ll work for FILES but not for PROGRAMS

you cant "install" programs onto a c drive from a d drive....its not as
simple as that!

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Chris" <picturesofengland(removexthis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > My father-in-law has a newish PC which is suffering from problems that
> > seemed to result from when someone else migrated across alot of his old
> > programs/files from his old pc. He tries to do work on it now but gets
> > lots of errors and crashes etc.
> >
> > Now, he doesnt want to do a reformat of C drive/reinstall of windows
just
> > yet, until he can get someone to remove everything that he needs keeping
> > (which is a lot)
> > So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
> > install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it, then
> > boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the programs he
> > needs for work on there.
> >
> > Would this work?
> >
> > Many thanks for any help
> >

> Yeah, that would work. It would be a lot easier to just install a DVD
> burner, though. If you get a dual-layer DVD burner (about $70), you can
> burn almost 9GB of data onto one disc which costs about $10 currently.
> Alternatively, you can use ~4.7GB DVD media, which cost less than a buck a
> piece. Some people don't have that much software/data on their entire
hard
> drive!!! Have him back up everything he needs, and then he can format the
> hard drive. If he doesn't even want to open the case, he could even use
an
> EXTERNAL DVD burner. -Dave

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2005 11:48:06 PM

Chris:

> So i've told him, a quick fix so he can get on with his work maybe to
> install a new harddrive, install a seperate operating system on it,
> then boot up from that second hardrive/OS and install only the
> programs he needs for work on there.

That's what I would do. Leave the old drive as a slave, delete the
programs on it and he can store his docs on it.
--
Mac Cool
!