Sound in linux? ASUS P5AD2, Fedora Core III

I have an ASUS P5AD2 premium motherboard with C-Media CMI 9880 sound built
into the motherboard. In the bios there are two options: AC'97 and HD
Audio

I'm running Fedora Core III, kernel 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp.

Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully get their sound
working from this motherboard? I suspect that I need some "drivers", but
a visit to the C-Media website doesn't identify any drivers for the 9880
series...

Suggestions? By the way, I would not recommend this motherboard if you
plan to use linux, its software is clearly made for Windows environments.

Thanks,

-Ben

Benjamin Johnson wrote:
> I have an ASUS P5AD2 premium motherboard with C-Media CMI 9880 sound
built
> into the motherboard. In the bios there are two options: AC'97 and
HD
> Audio
>
> I'm running Fedora Core III, kernel 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp.
>
> Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully get their sound

> working from this motherboard? I suspect that I need some "drivers",
but
> a visit to the C-Media website doesn't identify any drivers for the
9880
> series...
>
> Suggestions? By the way, I would not recommend this motherboard if
you
> plan to use linux, its software is clearly made for Windows
environments.

> Thanks,
>
> -Ben

That's interesting, I'm running Fedora core 2 on a box and the sound
works fine with no configuration at all. I think (but I may be wrong)
that PC'97 is some sort of standard, and I would expect it to work
under Linux with no problems. My machine isn't particularly common
either, it's a Soltek board with sound, graphics, and a C3 CPU onboard.
Interestingly it's '6-Channel AC'97 Audio'!

When I got Fedora 2, Fedora 3 was only a Beta, yours isn't a Beta is
it? If it's a Beta then I don't know whether that could be partly the
problem?

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com wrote:

> Benjamin Johnson wrote:
>> I have an ASUS P5AD2 premium motherboard with C-Media CMI 9880 sound
> built
>> into the motherboard. In the bios there are two options: AC'97 and
> HD
>> Audio
>>
>> I'm running Fedora Core III, kernel 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp.
>>
>> Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully get their sound
>
>> working from this motherboard? I suspect that I need some "drivers",
> but
>> a visit to the C-Media website doesn't identify any drivers for the
> 9880
>> series...
>>
>> Suggestions? By the way, I would not recommend this motherboard if
> you
>> plan to use linux, its software is clearly made for Windows
> environments.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Ben
>
> That's interesting, I'm running Fedora core 2 on a box and the sound
> works fine with no configuration at all. I think (but I may be wrong)
> that PC'97 is some sort of standard, and I would expect it to work
> under Linux with no problems. My machine isn't particularly common
> either, it's a Soltek board with sound, graphics, and a C3 CPU onboard.
> Interestingly it's '6-Channel AC'97 Audio'!
>
> When I got Fedora 2, Fedora 3 was only a Beta, yours isn't a Beta is
> it? If it's a Beta then I don't know whether that could be partly the
> problem?

No, it's release version ... oddly enough I have a different motherboard
at home ECS P915-A, and the so called "AC'97" sound doesn't work natively
on that either in Fedora Core 2. It makes me think there's something
wrong with the way I install things.... or that I'm missing a simple
driver installation. (the options in the bios are enabled, and the sound
works fine in windows).

"alsa" doesn't see the card, I've tried to use modprobe (naively, and
unsucessfully) to look for the card..

So I guess I'm just looking for a pseudo checklist from someone who knows
about these things, or has experienced similar problems.

-Ben

BobR

Benjamin Johnson wrote in message ...

>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Interestingly it's '6-Channel AC'97 Audio'!
>>
>"alsa" doesn't see the card, I've tried to use modprobe (naively, and
>unsucessfully) to look for the card..
>
>So I guess I'm just looking for a pseudo checklist from someone who knows
>about these things, or has experienced similar problems.
>-Ben

I had the exact problem in Debian.
Ran 'alsa-config' and 'sndconfig' and, even tho alsa couldn't see the AC97,
it started working. See if you can find those packages in your distribution.
I know mine is running under an "i810_audio" module.

Try modconf and see if "i810_audio" is there. Let us know how it goes.

http://www.linux.org/ look for "The Linux Sound HOWTO"

I know I have some better sound set-up documentation, but, I'm reworking my
Library on this machine and can't find them right now.
Sorry I couldn't be more help at this time.

--
Bob R
POVrookie

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Matt wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Kudzu doesn't see the sound"card" when either option is set.
>>

>> That happens sometimes. I don't know how hard it is for you to set it
>> up right. One option is to buy a cheap standard sound card and
>> disable the onboard sound. I find that such a card with a CM8738
>> chipset sets up without problems. See also:
>>
>> comp.os.linux.hardware
>> comp.os.linux.setup
>> comp.os.linux.misc
>> comp.os.linux.redhat
>> linux.redhat
>> linux.redhat.misc
>>
>> groups.google.com
>

> OfficeMax has a sound card free after rebate this week.
>
> See www.techbargains.com

In my case I think it's a setup issue, FC1 and FC2 had sound on my
laptop, so FC3 *may* have a problem.

--
bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
Project Leader, USENET news