SCANREG /FIX

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Command doesn't seem to be functioning properly. Could this be due to an
Adware.lefeats problem the values for which haven't been deleted from the
Registry as yet?

What makes you think that scanreg /fix isn't working? What problem are
you trying to solve? What do you see when you run scanreg /fix? Normally
all you will see is a message saying that rebuilding the registry requires
restarting windows and to close all other programs. Click yes to continue
and scanreg should run and the system reboot.

Scanreg /fix isn't a registry cleaner but instead is used to fix problems
with the structure of the registry and also compact the registry.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:

> Command doesn't seem to be functioning properly. Could this be due to
> an Adware.lefeats problem the values for which haven't been deleted
> from the Registry as yet?

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

All I get is an unintelligible blur as the object disappears from my screen
as quickly as it comes up. This causes me to think that the register is
corrupted. The problem I'm trying to resolve is a recommendation from
Symantec that I delete some leftover remnants from an Adware.lefeats attack.
Before proceeding, I'd like to know that my backup of the register is in
good working order should I find it necessary to use it

> What makes you think that scanreg /fix isn't working? What problem are
> you trying to solve? What do you see when you run scanreg /fix? Normally
> all you will see is a message saying that rebuilding the registry requires
> restarting windows and to close all other programs. Click yes to continue
> and scanreg should run and the system reboot.
>
> Scanreg /fix isn't a registry cleaner but instead is used to fix problems
> with the structure of the registry and also compact the registry.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > Command doesn't seem to be functioning properly. Could this be due to
> > an Adware.lefeats problem the values for which haven't been deleted
> > from the Registry as yet?

Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:

> All I get is an unintelligible blur as the object disappears from my
> screen as quickly as it comes up. This causes me to think that the
> register is corrupted.

That doesn't follow from what you are seeing. How exactly are you trying
to run scanreg /fix? What happens if you boot to DOS using a Win Me boot
floppy and run scanreg /fix from the DOS prompt?

> The problem I'm trying to resolve is a
> recommendation from Symantec that I delete some leftover remnants
> from an Adware.lefeats attack.

As I mentioned earlier scanreg /fix is not a registry cleaner. What
exactly are Symantec telling you to do?

> Before proceeding, I'd like to know
> that my backup of the register is in good working order should I find
> it necessary to use it

The registry is automatically backed up the first time you boot your PC
each day unless you have removed or unchecked the scanregw (ScanRegistry)
entry in MSConfig | Startup. You can make further copies using the
scanreg /backup command, either from within Win Me or from a DOS prompt.
System Restore also backs up the registry each time it creates a system
checkpoint.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Urgent family matter. Trying to run
scanreg /fix from start run dialog box. Bout a yr ago had to un and
reinstall my PC Health System. One of your peer group, Noel Paton, advised
me that the 1st step in the process was to ensure I had a good register and
to run scanreg /fix as described above in order to determine this. I seem to
recall from this experience that a DOS window came up on my screen. I took
this to mean I had a good registry with which to work and with Mr. Paton's
help restored my Health System. The fact that I'm not getting the DOS window
this go around led me to believe my registry was corrupted. I gather from
what your telling me this ain't necessarily so. As far as running it from
DOS , I'm totally clueless when it comes to working in DOS. Your dealing
with a real novice here i'm sorry to say.

As for backing up the registry, Article ID: 256419 recommends backing up the
registry before editing it. If i understand you correctly this is an
unnecessary step.

Last but not least, i have removed the Adware file that was causing the
lefeats problem. As a secondary step, Symantec recommends removing the
values from the registry and have provided a list of these values, how to
navigate to them and how to delete them once located.

After all is said and done, can i assume all is well with my puter if i'm
not getting any anomalies or unwanted pop ups
Sorry to be such a nuisance Mike but I hate the thought of my puter's
performance being compromised in anyway..