MS-DOS Prompt moves by itself

I am a software engineer with over 25 years of experience,
and am very familiar with the machinations of DOS and Windows,
but I have a peculiar problem that has me flummoxed!

I like to keep the the "MS-DOS Prompt" icon on the lower left
of my Windows ME screen.

However, every time I turn on or reboot the computer,
the icon moves above the aforementioned position
to the left center of the screen, where there happens to be a gap
between other folder and shortcut icons.

If I move the MS-DOS prompt back to the lower left,
and move the other icons to fill-in the gap,
it will still move to wherever there's a gap on the left side!

Unfortunately, I don't have another icon to fill in enough space
so that the MS-DOS prompt won't move at all
(besides, why should it be necessary???).

It didn't always do this, so I thought that it might be the fault
of a "new" program that was loaded within the past year,
but, for the life of me, I can't figure out what that could be!

The "Auto Arrange" is off.
There are no "Properties" for the MS-DOS Prompt
that I can see would have anything to do with this problem.
There are no virii or spyware that my software has detected.
The MS-DOS Prompt itself is not actively selected,
and, in most cases, it isn't even used before it happens.
It *might* move while I have other windows covering it,
but I'm not 100% sure of that (I get easily distracted!).
No other icons or shortcuts move or seem to be affected in any way.

If anyone has any thoughts, or, preferably, a solution
concerning this problem, then please let me know via this newsgroup.
If there's a webpage that describes this problem (yes, I searched!),
then just give me the URL.

Thanks in advance!

-----
Bond . . . James Bond

Do not reply via e-mail.
The address is phony to prevent spam, etc.
Thank you for understanding.

"James Bond 007" <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote in message
> I like to keep the the "MS-DOS Prompt" icon on the lower left
> of my Windows ME screen.

Assuming you want it there for reason of convenience*, you could put it in the
left most position of the taskbar. It would then always be immediatly to the
right of the Start button..

- Bill
_________
* Make it easy to find, make sure it doesn't get covered by some application,
etc.

Try enabling Auto Arrange and then disabling it again just in case it has
been inadvertently toggled on and is now out of synch with what shows when
you view Arrange Icons.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

James Bond 007 <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote:

> I am a software engineer with over 25 years of experience,
> and am very familiar with the machinations of DOS and Windows,
> but I have a peculiar problem that has me flummoxed!
>
> I like to keep the the "MS-DOS Prompt" icon on the lower left
> of my Windows ME screen.
>
> However, every time I turn on or reboot the computer,
> the icon moves above the aforementioned position
> to the left center of the screen, where there happens to be a gap
> between other folder and shortcut icons.
>
> If I move the MS-DOS prompt back to the lower left,
> and move the other icons to fill-in the gap,
> it will still move to wherever there's a gap on the left side!
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have another icon to fill in enough space
> so that the MS-DOS prompt won't move at all
> (besides, why should it be necessary???).
>
> It didn't always do this, so I thought that it might be the fault
> of a "new" program that was loaded within the past year,
> but, for the life of me, I can't figure out what that could be!
>
> The "Auto Arrange" is off.
> There are no "Properties" for the MS-DOS Prompt
> that I can see would have anything to do with this problem.
> There are no virii or spyware that my software has detected.
> The MS-DOS Prompt itself is not actively selected,
> and, in most cases, it isn't even used before it happens.
> It *might* move while I have other windows covering it,
> but I'm not 100% sure of that (I get easily distracted!).
> No other icons or shortcuts move or seem to be affected in any way.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts, or, preferably, a solution
> concerning this problem, then please let me know via this newsgroup.
> If there's a webpage that describes this problem (yes, I searched!),
> then just give me the URL.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> -----
> Bond . . . James Bond
>

> Do not reply via e-mail.
> The address is phony to prevent spam, etc.
> Thank you for understanding.

I tried that a LONG time ago!

-----
Bond . . . James Bond

Do not reply via e-mail.
The address is phony to prevent spam, etc.
Thank you for understanding.

James Bond 007 <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote:

> I tried that a LONG time ago!

In which case why didn't you mention it in your initial post?

MM

Perhaps this will make your life easier, Mr. Bond ...

Iconoid 3.0
Freeware by people with too much time on their hands
© SillySot Software, 2001, 2005
http://www.sillysot.com/download.htm

Thanks and appreciation to heirloom, of course, ...
--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
"James Bond 007" <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote in message
> I am a software engineer with over 25 years of experience,
> and am very familiar with the machinations of DOS and Windows,
> but I have a peculiar problem that has me flummoxed!
>
> I like to keep the the "MS-DOS Prompt" icon on the lower left
> of my Windows ME screen.
>
> However, every time I turn on or reboot the computer,
> the icon moves above the aforementioned position
> to the left center of the screen, where there happens to be a gap
> between other folder and shortcut icons.

<snip>

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:58:11 +0100, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

>James Bond 007 <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried that a LONG time ago!
>
>In which case why didn't you mention it in your initial post?
>
>MM

I tried MANY things on my own (as I said, I'm a Software Engr
with over 25 years of experience),
and did not want to bore folks with vast, myriad,
and, potentially, confusing/conflicting details.

If someone had an answer, great.
If not, as seems to be the case, then I'm out of luck,
which also seems to be the case!

-----

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:53:49 -0400, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
wrote:

>"James Bond 007" <do_not_reply@here.com> wrote in message
>> I like to keep the the "MS-DOS Prompt" icon on the lower left
>> of my Windows ME screen.
>
>Assuming you want it there for reason of convenience*, you could put it in the
>left most position of the taskbar. It would then always be immediatly to the
>right of the Start button..
>
> - Bill
>_________
>* Make it easy to find, make sure it doesn't get covered by some application,
>etc.

That's a good suggestion.

Unfortunately, taskbar icons take up resources,
albeit, in this case, a small amount,
but more than a desktop icon would.

Of course, MS-DOS Prompt is in the "Programs" list,
but, that is harder to access than an icon.

I'm really looking for a permanent solution to this odd problem.

Thanks, anyway!

-----
Bond . . . James Bond

Do not reply via e-mail.
The address is phony to prevent spam, etc.
Thank you for understanding.

So, why not put a shortcut to the MS-DOS prompt at the top of your Startup
popup menu?
Or use a Hotkey combination to launch it?