Overworking CPU

my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W

I posted the issues I had with my psu.
This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
task manger.

I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
another stable one (300W.

According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
stable.

But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?

rod
3 answers Last reply
More about overworking

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, GoneFishing wrote:

    > my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
    > PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
    >
    > I posted the issues I had with my psu.
    > This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
    > up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
    > task manger.

    Which programs were running at 100%? (you can see this from task manager)

    > I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
    > speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
    > did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
    > another stable one (300W.

    I'm not sure why you linked the PSU to these kinds of problems, perhaps
    you felt the CPU was overvolted? In order for the processor to run at
    100%, it has to be receiving instructions from software, or dealing with
    hardware interrupts, etc. I agree with the other posters that it is
    most likely a virus or trojan horse -- there is a free online virus
    scanner at www.pandasoftware.com ... I use that when I am certain a
    computer has been comprimised. (It's called Panda Active Scan, there's a
    little animated image on the left with a cross-hair, click there).

    > According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
    > stable.

    Good, that rules out any power supply problems for now.

    > But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
    > working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?

    I seriously doubt the CPU is damaged, CPU damage is usually binary -- it
    either works or it doesn't work at all. With ASUS motherboards, even if
    you're overclocking, it seems to be hard to destroy your CPU unless
    you're doing something dumb like not having a heat sink or fans... even
    then, the newer motherboards throttle the CPU down (which may be part of
    your problem(?)) when they get too hot.

    "GoneFishing" <rod.hook@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
    > PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
    >
    > I posted the issues I had with my psu.
    > This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
    > up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
    > task manger.
    >
    > I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
    > speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
    > did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
    > another stable one (300W.
    >
    > According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
    > stable.
    >
    > But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
    > working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?
    >
    > rod

    What does task manager tell you that the CPU is spending 100% of its time
    doing?
    You may have a virus/trojan which is using up CPU cycles.

    HTH
    SteveH

    In article <JG5Id.15136$GG1.6765@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk says...
    > "GoneFishing" <rod.hook@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
    > > PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
    > >
    > > I posted the issues I had with my psu.
    > > This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
    > > up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
    > > task manger.
    > >
    > > I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
    > > speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
    > > did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
    > > another stable one (300W.
    > >
    > > According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
    > > stable.
    > >
    > > But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
    > > working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?
    > >
    > > rod
    >
    > What does task manager tell you that the CPU is spending 100% of its time
    > doing?
    > You may have a virus/trojan which is using up CPU cycles.

    Also check to see if this is the 'idle process' which often goes up to
    90% or more of cpu cycles when nothing else is being done.

    --
    Pete Ives

Homebuilt Hardware CPUs Systems