Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2005 8:12:02 AM

my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W

I posted the issues I had with my psu.
This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
task manger.

I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
another stable one (300W.

According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
stable.

But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?

rod

More about : overworking cpu

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2005 11:54:14 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, GoneFishing wrote:

> my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
> PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
>
> I posted the issues I had with my psu.
> This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
> up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
> task manger.

Which programs were running at 100%? (you can see this from task manager)

> I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
> speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
> did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
> another stable one (300W.

I'm not sure why you linked the PSU to these kinds of problems, perhaps
you felt the CPU was overvolted? In order for the processor to run at
100%, it has to be receiving instructions from software, or dealing with
hardware interrupts, etc. I agree with the other posters that it is
most likely a virus or trojan horse -- there is a free online virus
scanner at www.pandasoftware.com ... I use that when I am certain a
computer has been comprimised. (It's called Panda Active Scan, there's a
little animated image on the left with a cross-hair, click there).

> According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
> stable.

Good, that rules out any power supply problems for now.

> But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
> working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?

I seriously doubt the CPU is damaged, CPU damage is usually binary -- it
either works or it doesn't work at all. With ASUS motherboards, even if
you're overclocking, it seems to be hard to destroy your CPU unless
you're doing something dumb like not having a heat sink or fans... even
then, the newer motherboards throttle the CPU down (which may be part of
your problem(?)) when they get too hot.
January 21, 2005 2:27:37 PM

"GoneFishing" <rod.hook@gmail.com> wrote in message
> my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
> PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
>
> I posted the issues I had with my psu.
> This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
> up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
> task manger.
>
> I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
> speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
> did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
> another stable one (300W.
>
> According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
> stable.
>
> But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
> working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?
>
> rod

What does task manager tell you that the CPU is spending 100% of its time
doing?
You may have a virus/trojan which is using up CPU cycles.

HTH
SteveH
January 21, 2005 5:01:39 PM

In article <JG5Id.15136$GG1.6765@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk says...
> "GoneFishing" <rod.hook@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > my CPU: ADM Athlon 1.4Gb
> > PSU: Powermax 400 --> 300W
> >
> > I posted the issues I had with my psu.
> > This afternoon I started noticing some application programs get hung
> > up and the CPU was working at 100% of its capacity according to XP
> > task manger.
> >
> > I wanted to reboot but the comp would not reboot keep saying my CPU
> > speed setting was wrong. I kept changing the cpu setting in BiOS but
> > did not boot. I figured that the psu (400W) failed and replaced with
> > another stable one (300W.
> >
> > According to the ASUS probe monitor, the psu's voltages are really
> > stable.
> >
> > But with no application programs running the cpu is continuously
> > working at 100% of its capacity. Is the cpu is damaged?
> >
> > rod
>
> What does task manager tell you that the CPU is spending 100% of its time
> doing?
> You may have a virus/trojan which is using up CPU cycles.

Also check to see if this is the 'idle process' which often goes up to
90% or more of cpu cycles when nothing else is being done.

--
Pete Ives