2008 Server R2 modded to workstation/Windows 7

Neophilus

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Ok so I got Windows 2008 Server R2 through Dreamspark for free since I'm a student. I know a lot of people have converted it to be a solid workstation which is basically Windows 7 but maybe a little lighter, but with more involved configuration to get it working right.

Currently, I can't use the Asus Chipset Support DVD that came with the motherboard, can't install an anti-virus, and my secondary hard drive isn't showing up in My Computer even though it's in Device Manager and says it's running properly.

I used this walkthrough to do most of the tweaking.
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/

So I'm looking for suggestions on any of these issues to save me from going back to Vista 32-bit. I really want to run 64-bit and can't afford Windows 7 Pro right now.

Particularly, if I could just get my secondary hard drive to be recognized, that would be plenty good for now

Solution
My 250G is my secondary drive. There is nothing but storage on this old drive. I installed Windows onto a new, clean 1TB Samsung F3.
It looks like you didn't disconnect the 250GB disk when you installed W2K8 R2. Disconnect it and then try to fix the installation on the new F3 hard disk or reinstall the OS.

Neophilus

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Ok to explain better...

My 250G is my secondary drive. There is nothing but storage on this old drive. I installed Windows onto a new, clean 1TB Samsung F3.

But now, Windows will not load without the secondary drive being connected, and not only that, it must be set as the primary boot drive in the BIOS.
If I set the F3 as the boot drive, it will act as though there's no OS. So I have to restart, set the 250GB as the boot drive, and it will start.
But THEN, when I get into Windows, the 250GB doesn't show up in My Computer. It only shows in Device Manager, and it says it is functioning properly.

What is going on?!

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Right click on computer->manage->disk management

Find the drive under "volume" and if the file system is not "NTFS," right click on it, click format, click NTFS, make a label, etc.

If it is formatted as NTFS, right click on it, click "Change Drive Letter and Paths," and make it whatever drive letter you want.

Hope I could help!

Neophilus

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Wow. I just added the drive path and it showed up. So simple lol. Thank you! That helps a lot.

But I just restarted after that - I still can't boot without the secondary/non-OS drive. Does anyone have any idea about that part?
My OS drive won't boot without the non-OS drive... doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Neophilus

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

Ok thank you very much. I couldn't imagine why there would be any connection to the 520GB in terms of the OS. I guess it's one of those weird Windows things. I will try that now.

Neophilus

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Ok well I tried using Windows Repair with the install disc and the 250GB drive disconnected. That didn't work - no drive showed up to repair.
But I'm sure a reinstall with just the F3 connected will work. Thanks for the help