Word won't open files

Word opens properly (so it's not that normal.dat template problem I had
before, I don't think). Once Word opens, it won't open and Word files. It
just started this problem today. When I click on a Word file to open it, the
computer just chugs and chugs, and I have to do CNTRL ALT DEL to reboot.
Then, I get back into Word, and I can save a new file, but then I can't open
that newly saved file. I did Disk Defrag, Scandisk, Disk Cleanup, ran Spybot
and Ad-Aware, and rebooted. Still the same thing. Word opens, but then it
won't open any Word file. All other programs work properly. For example,
Excel opens and then it opens an Excel file properly. So, Word is the only
program I'm having this trouble with. HELP, please! Thank you very much for
solving my problem.

Do follow Alan's advice, but in the meantime you could try the 'Detect and
Repair' option in the Word Help Menu. - It *might* just work...

Mart

"Bill&MelissaE" <Bill&MelissaE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Word opens properly (so it's not that normal.dat template problem I had
> before, I don't think). Once Word opens, it won't open and Word files.
> It
> just started this problem today. When I click on a Word file to open it,
> the
> computer just chugs and chugs, and I have to do CNTRL ALT DEL to reboot.
> Then, I get back into Word, and I can save a new file, but then I can't
> open
> that newly saved file. I did Disk Defrag, Scandisk, Disk Cleanup, ran
> Spybot
> and Ad-Aware, and rebooted. Still the same thing. Word opens, but then
> it
> won't open any Word file. All other programs work properly. For example,
> Excel opens and then it opens an Excel file properly. So, Word is the
> only
> program I'm having this trouble with. HELP, please! Thank you very much
> for
> solving my problem.

"Bill&MelissaE" <Bill&MelissaE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D70EB3FD-BC20-40D6-91E8-CD6B44F11043@microsoft.com...
> Word opens properly (so it's not that normal.dat template problem I
had
> before, I don't think). Once Word opens, it won't open and Word
files. It
> just started this problem today. When I click on a Word file to open
it, the
> computer just chugs and chugs, and I have to do CNTRL ALT DEL to
reboot.
> Then, I get back into Word, and I can save a new file, but then I
can't open
> that newly saved file. I did Disk Defrag, Scandisk, Disk Cleanup, ran
Spybot
> and Ad-Aware, and rebooted. Still the same thing. Word opens, but
then it
> won't open any Word file. All other programs work properly. For
example,
> Excel opens and then it opens an Excel file properly. So, Word is the
only
> program I'm having this trouble with. HELP, please! Thank you very
much for
> solving my problem.

If it only happened today, use System Restore to go back to before the
problem started.
regards Mike.

"Mike Cawood, HND BIT" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> If it only happened today, use System Restore to go back to before the
> problem started.
> regards Mike.

Or you can completely remove and re-install Word.
Regards Mike.

Try the Office group and mention your version of Word or Office.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Bill&MelissaE"