Which information to back up?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 25, 2005 7:11:37 PM

Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
(Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

More about : information back

April 25, 2005 7:11:38 PM

Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program or
update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version doesn't
like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.

Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.

As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules, etc.

Cheers.....Heather

"Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
machine.
> (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
critical
> files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
> my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
> have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:22:13 PM

From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

| Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
| (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
| files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
| should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
| my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
| appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
| have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

Besides the information that Heather provided you, you should backup...

c:\My Documents
c:\WINDOWS\All Users
c:\WINDOWS\Application Data
c:\WINDOWS\Desktop
c:\WINDOWS\Favorites
c:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
c:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks, Heather. Good call on saving those "downloaded unopened programs."
I, too, keep all of mine in one folder. I also appreciate the Majik's OE
Quick Backup link. Sounds like an easy way to handle that task without
fumbling with all those .dbx files, wherever they are. Joe Starin

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:o wblp8bSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
> What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program
or
> update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version doesn't
> like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.
>
> Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.
>
> As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
> Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules, etc.

> Cheers.....Heather
>
> "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
> machine.
> > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
> critical
> > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
would
> > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
> > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

April 25, 2005 10:15:27 PM

Thanks.....I started downloading that way back when ZA would not send me
version 2.1 of some such when their update messed me up. Naturally it is
called My Downloads folder, grin. I back that up regularly coz some of them
are no longer available free.

Majik helped me out when I opened up OE one day a month ago to find
absolutely NO emails, etc. But I had already imported all the *.dbx folders
back into the new one, before he told me various ways to find stuff. Run a
search for *.wab and you will find your address book.......double click on
it to make sure it is the latest one.....I seem to have about 7 of them on
here. A lot of them in Majik's OE Backup program.

Glad to hear from you again......Heather

> Thanks, Heather. Good call on saving those "downloaded unopened programs."
> I, too, keep all of mine in one folder. I also appreciate the Majik's OE
> Quick Backup link. Sounds like an easy way to handle that task without
> fumbling with all those .dbx files, wherever they are. Joe Starin
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o wblp8bSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
> > What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program
> or
> > update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version
doesn't
> > like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.
> >
> > Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.
> >
> > As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
> > Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules,
etc.

> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> >
> > Cheers.....Heather
> >
> > "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
> > machine.
> > > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
> > critical
> > > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> > > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
> would
> > > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> > > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that
> > > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:48:03 AM

David
What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use in a
restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist Defrag
in ordering the file structure

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>
>
> | Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
> machine.
> | (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
> critical
> | files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> | should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
> would
> | my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> | appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
> | have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin
> |

> Besides the information that Heather provided you, you should backup...
>
> c:\My Documents
> c:\WINDOWS\All Users
> c:\WINDOWS\Application Data
> c:\WINDOWS\Desktop
> c:\WINDOWS\Favorites
> c:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
> c:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:56:30 PM

From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

| David
| What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use in a
| restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist Defrag
| in ordering the file structure
|
| --
| Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
| | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

It stores application specific configuration data.

For example;
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF files.

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
is the personal Certificate Store

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)

So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring the
%windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user configurations for *many*
applications.

Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:13:04 PM

A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent information.
I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking. Regards, Joe
Starin

news:o wKnAfmSFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
>
> | David
> | What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use
in a
> | restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist
Defrag
> | in ordering the file structure
> |
> | --
> | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> | | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> It stores application specific configuration data.
>
> For example;
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
> Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF files.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
> is the personal Certificate Store
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
> Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)
>

> So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring the
> %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user configurations
for *many*
> applications.
>
> Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
> C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:49:41 PM

Joe, I suggest obtaining an inexpensive second HD and install it for your
backups.
Current retail prices are < $US 50.00 for a smaller ATA100 or 133, 7200 rpm,
PATA drive.

Create a 2.1 GB partition, FAT32, 4 KB cluster size, at the head of the
drive and later move the swap file to it to increase system performance.
Partition the rest of the drive as desired using FAT32, and allocate at
least one partition for backups.
Then obtain one of the many available good backup utilities, which can be
scheduled to run at 2 AM, if desired.

After doing so, your backup worries are greatly diminished, for short money.
--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent
information.
> I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking. Regards,
Joe
> Starin

> news:o wKnAfmSFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
> >
> > | David
> > | What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no
use
> in a
> > | restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist
> Defrag
> > | in ordering the file structure
> > |
> > | --
> > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > It stores application specific configuration data.
> >
> > For example;
> > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> > PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
> > Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF
files.

> > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> > stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
> > is the personal Certificate Store
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
> > Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)
> >

> > So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring
the
> > %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user
configurations
> for *many*
> > applications.
> >
> > Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
> > C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data
> >

> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:16:17 AM

Joe:

There are more than one way's to skin a cat, but this seems to be the
most effective by a long shot.
On the other hand, that's just an opinion, depending on how you look at the
situation.

Harry.

"Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> Joe, I suggest obtaining an inexpensive second HD and install it for your
> backups.
> Current retail prices are < $US 50.00 for a smaller ATA100 or 133, 7200
rpm,
> PATA drive.
>
> Create a 2.1 GB partition, FAT32, 4 KB cluster size, at the head of the
> drive and later move the swap file to it to increase system performance.
> Partition the rest of the drive as desired using FAT32, and allocate at
> least one partition for backups.
> Then obtain one of the many available good backup utilities, which can be
> scheduled to run at 2 AM, if desired.
>
> After doing so, your backup worries are greatly diminished, for short
money.
> --
> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ----------
> "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent
> information.
> > I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking. Regards,
> Joe
> > Starin
> >
> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> > news:o wKnAfmSFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

> use
> > in a
> > Defrag

> > > It stores application specific configuration data.
> > >
> > > For example;
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
> > > PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
> > > Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF
> files.
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> > > stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
> > > is the personal Certificate Store
> > >
> > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
> > > Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)
> > >

> > > So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring
> the
> > > %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user
> configurations
> > for *many*
> > > applications.
> > >
> > > Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data
> > >

> > > --
> > > Dave
> > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:28:11 AM

Joe Starin wrote:
> Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
> (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
> files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
> my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
> have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
or two needs cleaning.

Rick
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:22:55 PM

Thanks, Jack and Harry for your ideas, as well. A job loss has tightened the
finances around here, so I'll hold off on the second hard drive and backup
software for now. But I'll surely keep that great information handy for
future use. Joe Starin

> Joe:
>
> There are more than one way's to skin a cat, but this seems to be the
> most effective by a long shot.
> On the other hand, that's just an opinion, depending on how you look at
the
> situation.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Joe, I suggest obtaining an inexpensive second HD and install it for
your
> > backups.
> > Current retail prices are < $US 50.00 for a smaller ATA100 or 133, 7200
> rpm,
> > PATA drive.
> >
> > Create a 2.1 GB partition, FAT32, 4 KB cluster size, at the head of the
> > drive and later move the swap file to it to increase system performance.
> > Partition the rest of the drive as desired using FAT32, and allocate at
> > least one partition for backups.
> > Then obtain one of the many available good backup utilities, which can
be
> > scheduled to run at 2 AM, if desired.
> >
> > After doing so, your backup worries are greatly diminished, for short
> money.
> > --
> > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ----------
> > "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > > A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent
> > information.
> > > I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking.
Regards,
> > Joe
> > > Starin
> > >
> > > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> > > news:o wKnAfmSFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > use
> > > in a
> > > Defrag

> > files.

> > the
> > configurations
> > > for *many*

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:47:05 PM

Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up the
vacuum, as well. Joe

> Joe Starin wrote:
> > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
machine.
> > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
critical
> > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
> > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
would
> > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
> > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
> > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin
> >

> As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
> consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
> or two needs cleaning.
>

> Rick
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:47:06 PM

From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

| Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
| purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up the
| vacuum, as well. Joe

Joe:

If you are starting a Home Business then I highly suggest spening the mony and get a backup
device. This could be a tape drive, 750MB ZIP drive, DVDRW drive, secondary hard disk, etc
with an appropriate backup application. Many devices come with an application.

I also suggest you take the time to study how to secure a WireLess network. If not you can
be the victim of "War Driving" and if your WireLess access point is found open, your data
could be compramised or your network could be used for nefarious purposes and YOU would be
the one the authorities will come after.

If you are NOT acquainted with TCP/IP and network security, I *highly* suggest a wired
network.

As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
May 2, 2005 7:53:04 PM

"Joe Starin" wrote

> Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
> purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
> the
> vacuum, as well. Joe

Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!

Alias

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Joe Starin wrote:
>> > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
> machine.
>> > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
> critical
>> > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
>> > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
> would
>> > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
>> > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that
>> > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin
>> >

>> As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
>> consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
>> or two needs cleaning.
>>

>> Rick

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:53:05 PM

Mainly for the back (outside) to clean out the fan openings, unused ports,
etc. But, I have used a vacuum inside the case with extreme caution. Your
point is well-taken, though, Alias. Thanks. Joe

"Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Joe Starin" wrote
>
> > Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
> > purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
> > the
> > vacuum, as well. Joe
>
> Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
> computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
> could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!
>
> Alias
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > machine.
> > critical
> > would
> >> >

> >> As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
> >> consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
> >> or two needs cleaning.
> >>

> >> Rick

May 2, 2005 8:43:36 PM

I still wouldn't do it. Get a can or two of compressed air.

Alias

"Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote

> Mainly for the back (outside) to clean out the fan openings, unused ports,
> etc. But, I have used a vacuum inside the case with extreme caution. Your
> point is well-taken, though, Alias. Thanks. Joe
>
> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joe Starin" wrote
>>
>> > Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
>> > purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
>> > the
>> > vacuum, as well. Joe
>>
>> Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
>> computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
>> could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!
>>
>> Alias
>> >
>> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > machine.
>> > critical
> them
>> > would
> that

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:53:54 PM

I read your comments, David. Thanks for jumping in and offering your advice.

Yes, I've heard that I must be careful since other "wireless users" would
maybe be able to access our wireless network. And, no, I'm not acquainted
with TCP/IP and network security. Maybe a wired network is best. Also, it's
a 24GHz router so I've heard that it might mess with my wireless phones.

Or how about this -- can I temporarily use the wireless router that I
purchased as a wired routher (it has four Ethernet jacks) and disable the
wireless feature until I get smarter about wireless networks?

Joe Starin

> From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>
>
> | Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
> | purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
the
> | vacuum, as well. Joe
>
> Joe:
>
> If you are starting a Home Business then I highly suggest spening the mony
and get a backup
> device. This could be a tape drive, 750MB ZIP drive, DVDRW drive,
secondary hard disk, etc
> with an appropriate backup application. Many devices come with an
application.

> I also suggest you take the time to study how to secure a WireLess
network. If not you can
> be the victim of "War Driving" and if your WireLess access point is found
open, your data
> could be compramised or your network could be used for nefarious purposes
and YOU would be
> the one the authorities will come after.
>
> If you are NOT acquainted with TCP/IP and network security, I *highly*
suggest a wired
> network.
>
> As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and 445 on
*any* SOHO Router.

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:53:55 PM

From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

| I read your comments, David. Thanks for jumping in and offering your advice.
|
| Yes, I've heard that I must be careful since other "wireless users" would
| maybe be able to access our wireless network. And, no, I'm not acquainted
| with TCP/IP and network security. Maybe a wired network is best. Also, it's
| a 24GHz router so I've heard that it might mess with my wireless phones.
|
| Or how about this -- can I temporarily use the wireless router that I
| purchased as a wired routher (it has four Ethernet jacks) and disable the
| wireless feature until I get smarter about wireless networks?
|
| Joe Starin

Excellent !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:10:42 PM

I really, truly don't know how a PC user could survive without the advice
from you and others on these NGs. Generous info. And accurate, too. You
gurus are the best thing going on the Internet.

One final item: You suggest "blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and
445 on *any* SOHO Router." I'm assuming that I'll sorta know (or learn) how
to do this once I install the router. Where do I go to block these TCP and
UDP ports? Should I do a Google search? I'm somewhat savvy when it comes to
PCs, but many light years behind you guys (and ladies <g>, Heather, Joan,
Jan II, etc.) Thanks to all.

Joe Starin

!