Which information to back up?

Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
(Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin
19 answers Last reply
More about which information back

    Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
    What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program or
    update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version doesn't
    like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.

    Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.

    As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
    Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules, etc.

    Cheers.....Heather

    From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

    | Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
    | (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
    | files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
    | should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
    | my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
    | appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
    | have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

    Besides the information that Heather provided you, you should backup...

    c:\My Documents
    c:\WINDOWS\All Users
    c:\WINDOWS\Application Data
    c:\WINDOWS\Desktop
    c:\WINDOWS\Favorites
    c:\WINDOWS\Start Menu
    c:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks, Heather. Good call on saving those "downloaded unopened programs."
    I, too, keep all of mine in one folder. I also appreciate the Majik's OE
    Quick Backup link. Sounds like an easy way to handle that task without
    fumbling with all those .dbx files, wherever they are. Joe Starin

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
    > What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program
    or
    > update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version doesn't
    > like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.
    >
    > Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.
    >
    > As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
    > Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules, etc.

    > Cheers.....Heather
    >
    > "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
    > machine.
    > > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
    > critical
    > > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
    > > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
    would
    > > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
    > > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
    > > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

    Thanks.....I started downloading that way back when ZA would not send me
    version 2.1 of some such when their update messed me up. Naturally it is
    called My Downloads folder, grin. I back that up regularly coz some of them
    are no longer available free.

    Majik helped me out when I opened up OE one day a month ago to find
    absolutely NO emails, etc. But I had already imported all the *.dbx folders
    back into the new one, before he told me various ways to find stuff. Run a
    search for *.wab and you will find your address book.......double click on
    it to make sure it is the latest one.....I seem to have about 7 of them on
    here. A lot of them in Majik's OE Backup program.

    Glad to hear from you again......Heather

    > Thanks, Heather. Good call on saving those "downloaded unopened programs."
    > I, too, keep all of mine in one folder. I also appreciate the Majik's OE
    > Quick Backup link. Sounds like an easy way to handle that task without
    > fumbling with all those .dbx files, wherever they are. Joe Starin
    >
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Well....I would start with My Documents for sure......what about mp3's??
    > > What about downloaded unopened programs?? I always download any program
    > or
    > > update to a folder just for those. That way if the newer version
    doesn't
    > > like WinME, I can uninstall it and go back to the earlier one.
    > >
    > > Anything in My Files? Mine are all documents from Wordperfect, I think.
    > >
    > > As for OE.......go to the following link and download Majik's OE Quick
    > > Backup.....that will back up your email, address book, message rules,
    etc.

    > > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    > >
    > > Cheers.....Heather
    > >
    > > "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > > > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
    > > machine.
    > > > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
    > > critical
    > > > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
    > > > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
    > would
    > > > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
    > > > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that
    > > > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

    David
    What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use in a
    restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist Defrag
    in ordering the file structure

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>

    | David
    | What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use in a
    | restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist Defrag
    | in ordering the file structure
    |
    | --
    | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    | | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    It stores application specific configuration data.

    For example;
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there

    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
    Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF files.

    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.

    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
    is the personal Certificate Store

    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)

    So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring the
    %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user configurations for *many*
    applications.

    Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
    C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent information.
    I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking. Regards, Joe
    Starin

    > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    >
    > | David
    > | What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no use
    in a
    > | restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist
    Defrag
    > | in ordering the file structure
    > |
    > | --
    > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > | | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > It stores application specific configuration data.
    >
    > For example;
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    > PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
    > Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF files.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    > stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
    > is the personal Certificate Store
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    > Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)
    >

    > So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring the
    > %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user configurations
    for *many*
    > applications.
    >
    > Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
    > C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Joe, I suggest obtaining an inexpensive second HD and install it for your
    backups.
    Current retail prices are < $US 50.00 for a smaller ATA100 or 133, 7200 rpm,
    PATA drive.

    Create a 2.1 GB partition, FAT32, 4 KB cluster size, at the head of the
    drive and later move the swap file to it to increase system performance.
    Partition the rest of the drive as desired using FAT32, and allocate at
    least one partition for backups.
    Then obtain one of the many available good backup utilities, which can be
    scheduled to run at 2 AM, if desired.

    After doing so, your backup worries are greatly diminished, for short money.
    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent
    information.
    > I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking. Regards,
    Joe
    > Starin

    > > From: "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com>
    > >
    > > | David
    > > | What's the intent behind backing up \Application data? - it's of no
    use
    > in a
    > > | restored system that I know of, since it's designed mostly to assist
    > Defrag
    > > | in ordering the file structure
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > It stores application specific configuration data.
    > >
    > > For example;
    > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    > > PST, PAB and other files for Outlook are stored there
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
    > > Stores the Outlook email signtures one may have created and any VCF
    files.

    > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    > > stores the icons you use in the Quick Launch toolbar.
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
    > > is the personal Certificate Store
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
    > > Stores the Windows Address Book (WAB)
    > >

    > > So after a system is rebuilt and applications are installed, restoring
    the
    > > %windir%\Application Data folder tree will restore all user
    configurations
    > for *many*
    > > applications.
    > >
    > > Similarily on Win2K/WinXP this would be...
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME\Application Data
    > >

    > > --
    > > Dave
    > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Joe:

    There are more than one way's to skin a cat, but this seems to be the
    most effective by a long shot.
    On the other hand, that's just an opinion, depending on how you look at the
    situation.

    Harry.

    Joe Starin wrote:
    > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME machine.
    > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn critical
    > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
    > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So would
    > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
    > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that I
    > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin

    As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
    consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
    or two needs cleaning.

    Rick

    Thanks, Jack and Harry for your ideas, as well. A job loss has tightened the
    finances around here, so I'll hold off on the second hard drive and backup
    software for now. But I'll surely keep that great information handy for
    future use. Joe Starin

    > Joe:
    >
    > There are more than one way's to skin a cat, but this seems to be the
    > most effective by a long shot.
    > On the other hand, that's just an opinion, depending on how you look at
    the
    > situation.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Joe, I suggest obtaining an inexpensive second HD and install it for
    your
    > > backups.
    > > Current retail prices are < $US 50.00 for a smaller ATA100 or 133, 7200
    > rpm,
    > > PATA drive.
    > >
    > > Create a 2.1 GB partition, FAT32, 4 KB cluster size, at the head of the
    > > drive and later move the swap file to it to increase system performance.
    > > Partition the rest of the drive as desired using FAT32, and allocate at
    > > least one partition for backups.
    > > Then obtain one of the many available good backup utilities, which can
    be
    > > scheduled to run at 2 AM, if desired.
    > >
    > > After doing so, your backup worries are greatly diminished, for short
    > money.
    > > --
    > > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ----------
    > > "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > > > A hearty thanks to all for posting and providing such excellent
    > > information.
    > > > I'll continue to watch this thread for any additional thinking.
    Regards,
    > > Joe
    > > > Starin
    > > >
    > > > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    > > use
    > > > in a
    > > > Defrag

    > > files.

    > > the
    > > configurations
    > > > for *many*

    Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up the
    vacuum, as well. Joe

    From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

    | Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    | purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up the
    | vacuum, as well. Joe

    Joe:

    If you are starting a Home Business then I highly suggest spening the mony and get a backup
    device. This could be a tape drive, 750MB ZIP drive, DVDRW drive, secondary hard disk, etc
    with an appropriate backup application. Many devices come with an application.

    I also suggest you take the time to study how to secure a WireLess network. If not you can
    be the victim of "War Driving" and if your WireLess access point is found open, your data
    could be compramised or your network could be used for nefarious purposes and YOU would be
    the one the authorities will come after.

    If you are NOT acquainted with TCP/IP and network security, I *highly* suggest a wired
    network.

    As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Joe Starin" wrote

    > Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    > purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
    > the
    > vacuum, as well. Joe

    Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
    computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
    could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!

    Alias

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Joe Starin wrote:
    >> > Question for the NG: I've never backed up any of my files on my ME
    > machine.
    >> > (Not a good idea, I know.) I would like to, at the very least, burn
    > critical
    >> > files/folders/directories to a CD. Any suggestions as to which of them
    >> > should be saved first? The My Documents folder would be a keeper. So
    > would
    >> > my OE6 address book, etc. (wherever those are.) Any thoughts would be
    >> > appreciated. (PC is emitting a random faint humming/buzzing sound that
    >> > have not heard before so I'm being cautious.) Joe Starin
    >> >

    >> As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
    >> consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
    >> or two needs cleaning.
    >>

    >> Rick

    Mainly for the back (outside) to clean out the fan openings, unused ports,
    etc. But, I have used a vacuum inside the case with extreme caution. Your
    point is well-taken, though, Alias. Thanks. Joe

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

    > "Joe Starin" wrote
    >
    > > Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    > > purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
    > > the
    > > vacuum, as well. Joe
    >
    > Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
    > computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
    > could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!
    >
    > Alias
    > >
    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > machine.
    > > critical
    > > would
    > >> >

    > >> As well as the excellent advice given in other postings, you might
    > >> consider trying to find out what the "humming/buzzing" is; maybe a fan
    > >> or two needs cleaning.
    > >>

    > >> Rick

    I still wouldn't do it. Get a can or two of compressed air.

    Alias

    "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net> wrote

    > Mainly for the back (outside) to clean out the fan openings, unused ports,
    > etc. But, I have used a vacuum inside the case with extreme caution. Your
    > point is well-taken, though, Alias. Thanks. Joe
    >
    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe Starin" wrote
    >>
    >> > Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    >> > purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
    >> > the
    >> > vacuum, as well. Joe
    >>
    >> Do you mean you are going to use your vacuum to clean the insides of your
    >> computer??? I hope not. Use a brush or a can of air. Your vacuum cleaner
    >> could wipe out a bunch of stuff in there and it won't be dust!
    >>
    >> Alias
    >> >
    >> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > machine.
    >> > critical
    > them
    >> > would
    > that

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I read your comments, David. Thanks for jumping in and offering your advice.

    Yes, I've heard that I must be careful since other "wireless users" would
    maybe be able to access our wireless network. And, no, I'm not acquainted
    with TCP/IP and network security. Maybe a wired network is best. Also, it's
    a 24GHz router so I've heard that it might mess with my wireless phones.

    Or how about this -- can I temporarily use the wireless router that I
    purchased as a wired routher (it has four Ethernet jacks) and disable the
    wireless feature until I get smarter about wireless networks?

    Joe Starin

    > From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>
    >
    > | Thanks, Rick. I'm considering starting a home-based business and have
    > | purchased a wireless router. When I install it, I'll be sure to fire up
    the
    > | vacuum, as well. Joe
    >
    > Joe:
    >
    > If you are starting a Home Business then I highly suggest spening the mony
    and get a backup
    > device. This could be a tape drive, 750MB ZIP drive, DVDRW drive,
    secondary hard disk, etc
    > with an appropriate backup application. Many devices come with an
    application.

    > I also suggest you take the time to study how to secure a WireLess
    network. If not you can
    > be the victim of "War Driving" and if your WireLess access point is found
    open, your data
    > could be compramised or your network could be used for nefarious purposes
    and YOU would be
    > the one the authorities will come after.
    >
    > If you are NOT acquainted with TCP/IP and network security, I *highly*
    suggest a wired
    > network.
    >
    > As always, I suggest blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and 445 on
    *any* SOHO Router.

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>

    | I read your comments, David. Thanks for jumping in and offering your advice.
    |
    | Yes, I've heard that I must be careful since other "wireless users" would
    | maybe be able to access our wireless network. And, no, I'm not acquainted
    | with TCP/IP and network security. Maybe a wired network is best. Also, it's
    | a 24GHz router so I've heard that it might mess with my wireless phones.
    |
    | Or how about this -- can I temporarily use the wireless router that I
    | purchased as a wired routher (it has four Ethernet jacks) and disable the
    | wireless feature until I get smarter about wireless networks?
    |
    | Joe Starin

    Excellent !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I really, truly don't know how a PC user could survive without the advice
    from you and others on these NGs. Generous info. And accurate, too. You
    gurus are the best thing going on the Internet.

    One final item: You suggest "blocking both TCP and UDP ports 135 ~139 and
    445 on *any* SOHO Router." I'm assuming that I'll sorta know (or learn) how
    to do this once I install the router. Where do I go to block these TCP and
    UDP ports? Should I do a Google search? I'm somewhat savvy when it comes to
    PCs, but many light years behind you guys (and ladies <g>, Heather, Joan,
    Jan II, etc.) Thanks to all.

    Joe Starin

    > From: "Joe Starin" <joespamawaystarin@ameritech.net>
    >
    > | I read your comments, David. Thanks for jumping in and offering your
    advice.

    > | Yes, I've heard that I must be careful since other "wireless users"
    would
    > | maybe be able to access our wireless network. And, no, I'm not
    acquainted
    > | with TCP/IP and network security. Maybe a wired network is best. Also,
    it's
    > | a 24GHz router so I've heard that it might mess with my wireless phones.
    > |
    > | Or how about this -- can I temporarily use the wireless router that I
    > | purchased as a wired routher (it has four Ethernet jacks) and disable
    the
    > | wireless feature until I get smarter about wireless networks?
    > |
    > | Joe Starin
    >
    > Excellent !
    >
    > --
    > Dave