KB891711 UPdate AGAIN! Whats the matter with Microsoft?

I just came back from fixing a disabled lady's ME computer because it auto
updated with the defective Microsoft Update KB891711.exe and Q891711.DLL
again.

How can I fix the update manager so it does NOT download and install that
update again?
16 answers Last reply
More about kb891711 update again whats matter microsoft

    How did you establish that the update was the old rather than the new
    version of the 891711 patch? What were the versions of the two files
    involved?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Firewire <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > I just came back from fixing a disabled lady's ME computer because it
    > auto updated with the defective Microsoft Update KB891711.exe and
    > Q891711.DLL again.
    >
    > How can I fix the update manager so it does NOT download and install
    > that update again?

    The symptoms of the of the infection with the KB891711 update were the same.
    They were auto downloaded several weeks apart. The name of the update is the
    same, to remove it was the same. I removed it both times for the lady. It
    was a reissue of the same update. I did not mean to say it was the old
    update that came back.

    Firewire

    > How did you establish that the update was the old rather than the new
    > version of the 891711 patch? What were the versions of the two files
    > involved?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Firewire <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I just came back from fixing a disabled lady's ME computer because it
    >> auto updated with the defective Microsoft Update KB891711.exe and
    >> Q891711.DLL again.
    >>
    >> How can I fix the update manager so it does NOT download and install
    >> that update again?

    I also have a question regarding this same Windows update and subsequent
    "fix" update. Have just posted a message about an error message I've been
    getting, but am not sure that is related, although I have my doubts. Anyway
    .... I digress --

    My question is this, since I do the Windows updates automatically, is there
    something I should do to remove the bad or "old" KB891711 update and related
    updates from my system? I notice they are in the installed programs list
    although they at least are not running in my start up anymore. (Am wondering
    if this is my memory and start up problem too.)

    Thanks for any and all help/input on this #$%@! update. *g*

    Suzanne

    In article <#9xszceSFHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Firewire says...

    > I just came back from fixing a disabled lady's ME computer because it auto
    > updated with the defective Microsoft Update KB891711.exe and Q891711.DLL
    > again.

    > How can I fix the update manager so it does NOT download and install that
    > update again?

    I am not sure what is wrong. I was one of those having problems with this
    particular hotfix; the latest version available from the WinUpdate site
    fixed the issue on my computer.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    The "bad" (for some) 891711 hotfix will be replaced by the new version
    without the user having to uninstall the old version with the new version
    being offered via both Automatic Update and on the Windows Update site.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am not sure what is wrong. I was one of those having problems with this
    > particular hotfix; the latest version available from the WinUpdate site
    > fixed the issue on my computer.
    >
    > --

    I suppose I can take the ladies computer to the update site and see if I can
    download the "fixed" version of the hotfix. But I believe at this point it
    will just cause the same problems as before... blue screen exception error
    06:0000:00002c47 and constant explorer errors on big white error windows
    when connecting to the Internet. The only way to get control of the computer
    is to ctrl-alt-del, end task the KB891711 running in the background, then
    uninstall it in Add/remove. Same symptoms, same hotfix number that was auto
    downloaded March 16, the second time was two days ago, April 25. She said it
    had been in the tray for several weeks because she was afraid to install it.
    When I was installing a USB hub and external hard drive I let it update.
    The symptoms started as soon as she tried to connect to the Internet so she
    called me to come back to remove it.

    Firewire

    > She said it had been in
    > the tray for several weeks because she was afraid to install it.

    The 06 error you are seeing is symptomatic of the error caused for some by
    installing the OLD version of the 891711 patch. That the update was
    sitting waited for several weeks to be installed strongly suggests that
    this is the old patch that has been installed and not the updated version.
    To verify which version is installed you need to check the version of the
    file kb891711.exe. The original version was version 4.10.2222 which was
    then updated to v4.10.2223 when the patch was updated and re-released on
    15 April. The file q891711.dll remains as v4.10.2222 regardless of which
    version of the patch is installed.
    --

    >> She said it had been in
    >> the tray for several weeks because she was afraid to install it.
    >
    > The 06 error you are seeing is symptomatic of the error caused for some by
    > installing the OLD version of the 891711 patch. That the update was
    > sitting waited for several weeks to be installed strongly suggests that
    > this is the old patch that has been installed and not the updated version.
    > To verify which version is installed you need to check the version of the
    > file kb891711.exe. The original version was version 4.10.2222 which was
    > then updated to v4.10.2223 when the patch was updated and re-released on
    > 15 April. The file q891711.dll remains as v4.10.2222 regardless of which
    > version of the patch is installed.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    The version information is helpful. If it happens again I will check it out.

    The reason I believe it is the new version and not the old one sitting there
    is because the old one was installed via the auto update. That would have
    completed the download and update and removed it from the tray, right? The
    only way that would be the same one is if it remained in the tray after
    being installed the first time. It could not even have been there from the
    system restore either because at that time she did not have system restore
    enabled. After I fixed the first KB891711 failure, uninstalled it and
    deleted the necessary files, I enabled system restore.

    How could the update remain in the tray to be installed again and again? If
    it can do that, how do I get rid of the defective one that is staying in the
    tray? Unless that is the issue, there were two hotfixes downloaded, both
    causing the problem.

    Firewire

    I was under the impression that you said you had uninstalled rather than
    disabled the original patch. If that was the case then the old patch
    would have been offered again.
    --

    "Firewire" <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote in

    > The only
    > way to get control of the computer is to ctrl-alt-del, end task the
    > KB891711 running in the background,
    > Firewire

    The updated version of 891711 is NOT present on ctrl-alt-del ..... you
    still have the original release.

    --
    Adam and Eve - the worlds happiest couple ever.
    Neither had a mother-in-law.

    >I was under the impression that you said you had uninstalled rather than
    >disabled the original patch. If that was the case then the old patch would
    >have been offered again.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    I uninstalled it in Add/Remove, and I deleted the .exe and .dll files that
    are part of the KB891711. If it was the old patch that came back, how do I
    remove it from the computer completely so that it never shows up in the
    update tray again? System Restore was not enabled at the time of the first
    hotfix problem. It was only enabled *after* I uninstalled it and deleted
    the files associated with it.

    If the old patch was removed from Microsoft's offering as a legit fix, why
    would it be downloaded again? I am trying to understand how it got into the
    computer again so I can prevent it in the future.

    Firewire

    Firewire <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > I uninstalled it in Add/Remove, and I deleted the .exe and .dll files
    > that are part of the KB891711. If it was the old patch that came
    > back, how do I remove it from the computer completely so that it
    > never shows up in the update tray again?

    Why? There is no need to remove the old patch, just install the updated
    version. No-one, to the best of my knowledge has reported any problems
    with the updated version of the patch, and the old version was removed
    from the Windows Update site and replaced by the new version on 13 April.
    After that date only the new version would have been offered and this
    would happen regardless of whether the old version had been installed or
    not.

    That it was the old version of the patch is clear from your statement that
    you could see KB891711 running when you used Ctrl-Alt-Del. Ctrl-Alt-Del
    does not show the new version as running, it is, but it is hidden in the
    same way as other services are hidden such as smgr.exe, spool32.exe and
    msgsrv32.exe

    > System Restore was not
    > enabled at the time of the first hotfix problem. It was only enabled
    > *after* I uninstalled it and deleted the files associated with it.

    Whether you had used system restore or uninstall the effect would have
    been the same, that is the old version would have been re-offered to the
    system between the date it was removed and when the updated patch was
    released.

    > If the old patch was removed from Microsoft's offering as a legit
    > fix, why would it be downloaded again?

    Because you chose to uninstall it. Remember, you've already said that you
    removed the patch some weeks before the patch was updated on the Windows
    Update site so the original patch would have been offered again. What you
    could have done is to decline the patch when offered using Automatic
    Update but that's water under the bridge now as the old version is no
    longer available for download. If instead you had unchecked the entry in
    MSConfig | Startup you would not have been re-offered the original update
    but by uninstalling it you configured your system so as it appeared the
    patch had never been installed and it was thus offered again.

    < I am trying to understand how
    > it got into the computer again so I can prevent it in the future.

    I hope this helps a little.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > I hope this helps a little.

    Not really. Seems we are going round and round on this. Removed or not, the
    computer has to download the second one from somewhere. I have no
    comprehension how a patch removed by Microsoft as defective update would
    again be downloaded and installed into a computer. Removed is removed,
    gone, no more to bother anyone. It seems logical to you that this computer
    could find it somewhere and just do it again.

    Sorry to be so dense but it is not logical.

    Firewire.

    > Not really.

    You may want to try re-reading my post.

    > Removed or
    > not, the computer has to download the second one from somewhere.

    The computer would have downloaded a new copy if Automatic Update was
    enabled - that's its purpose. If between 8 March and sometime on 15 April
    it would have been version 1 and since 15 April it would have been version
    2. If version 1 was installed then version 2 would have been offered on
    or shortly after 15 April.

    > Removed is removed, gone, no more to bother anyone. It seems logical
    > to you that this computer could find it somewhere and just do it
    > again.

    I'm sorry but it is you who I feel is being illogical here. What exactly
    do you not understand? The systems lacks a particular critical update and
    it will be offered by either or both of Windows Update (WU) and Automatic
    Update (AU). That is their purpose. You don't have to accept that or any
    update - whether you do or not is your decision or that of the user of the
    computer. However if you decline an update via AU it won't be offered
    again via AU but will still be offered if you visit the WU site. If you
    choose to uninstall a patch then both WU and AU will offer it again - just
    the same as if the patch had never been installed at all.

    Regards and best wishes,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Firewire <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Not really. Seems we are going round and round on this. Removed or
    > not, the computer has to download the second one from somewhere. I
    > have no comprehension how a patch removed by Microsoft as defective
    > update would again be downloaded and installed into a computer. Removed
    > is removed, gone, no more to bother anyone. It seems logical
    > to you that this computer could find it somewhere and just do it
    > again.
    > Sorry to be so dense but it is not logical.

    > I can only commend MS for dealing with - and apparently solving - the
    > problem (which they admittedly caused) within a single refresh cycle of
    the
    > WU site - one month.

    Hey, Noel!

    I'd expect them to solve it in one day!

    I mean, if I was running the company.............

    Shane

    Hehe!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I can only commend MS for dealing with - and apparently solving - the
    >> problem (which they admittedly caused) within a single refresh cycle of
    > the
    >> WU site - one month.
    >
    > Hey, Noel!
    >
    > I'd expect them to solve it in one day!
    >
    > I mean, if I was running the company.............
    >

    > Shane

Download Computers Microsoft Windows