Ping Jack E. Martinelli KB891711 issue

You can tell the MS team working on the issue that the ME computer I work on
with the KB891711 problem [for the second time] is a Dell bought in the
year 2000 loaded with ME. The monitor is a Dell also so I am guessing it is
a standard card and monitor setup they were selling at the time. The person
who owns the computer has never updated any drivers.

[ I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far. ]
2 answers Last reply
More about ping jack martinelli kb891711 issue

    This Win Update problem was resolved by MS with a newer KB update, while I
    was on a "working" vacation earlier this month.
    AFAIK, the problematic Win9x machines are now working fine with the new
    protection. My WinME machine here is doing so. But it had no issue with
    the first release.
    You can communicate any info you wish to reveal to my colleague, MVP Gary S.
    Terhune, in the Win98 ng's, esp. win98.gen_discussion, whom I suspect can
    answer any further questions you may have.

    Thank you for your response,
    and consider updating your many hardware drivers now,
    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    "Firewire" <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > You can tell the MS team working on the issue that the ME computer I work
    on
    > with the KB891711 problem [for the second time] is a Dell bought in the
    > year 2000 loaded with ME. The monitor is a Dell also so I am guessing it
    is
    > a standard card and monitor setup they were selling at the time. The
    person
    > who owns the computer has never updated any drivers.
    >

    > [ I've received a request from the team that's working on the
    > KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
    > with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
    > them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
    > problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
    > received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
    > been reported thus far. ]

    As if I was paying attention...

    I installed the KB 891711 patch Tuesday, April 26, 2005 from Windows Update Site
    onto a Dell Dimension 4300 running Windows ME and got nothing but BSOD's, and
    big white error screens on the bootup after the rebootup when the patch was
    finished being installed. Some error messages were: a Zone Alarm conflict
    (because KB 891711 wasn't added to the approved Programs List in ZA)...so I had
    to boot into Safe Mode to turn off KB 891711 in msconfig then reboot into
    Windows and add KB 891711 to the ZA Program Pass List (mind you, Safe Mode is
    broken since that DOS Patch was installed, so I had to type "edit autoexec.bat"
    at the C: Prompt & switch in different versions of previously saved and edited
    autoexec files and save them as new autoexec.bat files as required, then exit
    the edit screen and do the 3 finger salute.)

    That stopped the Zone Alarm errors, but after rechecking KB 891711 in msconfig
    while in normal Windows mode then rebooting, there were still continual & varied
    errors coming up and a few of them specifically mentioned the KB 891711.exe and
    the machine refused to continue & finish its boot process. So back to the
    C:\Prompt to edit autoexec.bat to get to Safe Mode to uncheck KB 891711 from
    msconfig, and reboot into the C:\Prompt to edit the autoexec.bat file to get
    back into Windows normal mode again, & reboot from that into Windows. Explorer
    crashed for no reason. Another hard reboot into Windows, and I'm thinking the
    machine is reading the rb002.cab file from earlier in the day & the others just
    like it from days before I worked on this this hour, so I create a Restore
    Point then delete all five rb*.cab files from Search then reboot. The machine
    comes up nicely, and I have a freshly written rb000.cab file and nobody is going
    to use "C:\scanrreg /restore" to go further back than when I disabled this KB
    891711 fom the C:\ Prompt!

Windows