Ping Jack E. Martinelli KB891711 issue

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 25, 2005 11:03:19 PM

You can tell the MS team working on the issue that the ME computer I work on
with the KB891711 problem [for the second time] is a Dell bought in the
year 2000 loaded with ME. The monitor is a Dell also so I am guessing it is
a standard card and monitor setup they were selling at the time. The person
who owns the computer has never updated any drivers.

[ I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far. ]
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:39:22 PM

This Win Update problem was resolved by MS with a newer KB update, while I
was on a "working" vacation earlier this month.
AFAIK, the problematic Win9x machines are now working fine with the new
protection. My WinME machine here is doing so. But it had no issue with
the first release.
You can communicate any info you wish to reveal to my colleague, MVP Gary S.
Terhune, in the Win98 ng's, esp. win98.gen_discussion, whom I suspect can
answer any further questions you may have.

Thank you for your response,
and consider updating your many hardware drivers now,
--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
"Firewire" <firewire@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> You can tell the MS team working on the issue that the ME computer I work
on
> with the KB891711 problem [for the second time] is a Dell bought in the
> year 2000 loaded with ME. The monitor is a Dell also so I am guessing it
is
> a standard card and monitor setup they were selling at the time. The
person
> who owns the computer has never updated any drivers.
>

> [ I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
> with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
> them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
> received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
> been reported thus far. ]

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:42:15 AM

As if I was paying attention...

I installed the KB 891711 patch Tuesday, April 26, 2005 from Windows Update Site
onto a Dell Dimension 4300 running Windows ME and got nothing but BSOD's, and
big white error screens on the bootup after the rebootup when the patch was
finished being installed. Some error messages were: a Zone Alarm conflict
(because KB 891711 wasn't added to the approved Programs List in ZA)...so I had
to boot into Safe Mode to turn off KB 891711 in msconfig then reboot into
Windows and add KB 891711 to the ZA Program Pass List (mind you, Safe Mode is
broken since that DOS Patch was installed, so I had to type "edit autoexec.bat"
at the C: Prompt & switch in different versions of previously saved and edited
autoexec files and save them as new autoexec.bat files as required, then exit
the edit screen and do the 3 finger salute.)

That stopped the Zone Alarm errors, but after rechecking KB 891711 in msconfig
while in normal Windows mode then rebooting, there were still continual & varied
errors coming up and a few of them specifically mentioned the KB 891711.exe and
the machine refused to continue & finish its boot process. So back to the
C:\Prompt to edit autoexec.bat to get to Safe Mode to uncheck KB 891711 from
msconfig, and reboot into the C:\Prompt to edit the autoexec.bat file to get
back into Windows normal mode again, & reboot from that into Windows. Explorer
crashed for no reason. Another hard reboot into Windows, and I'm thinking the
machine is reading the rb002.cab file from earlier in the day & the others just
like it from days before I worked on this this hour, so I create a Restore
Point then delete all five rb*.cab files from Search then reboot. The machine
comes up nicely, and I have a freshly written rb000.cab file and nobody is going
to use "C:\scanrreg /restore" to go further back than when I disabled this KB
891711 fom the C:\ Prompt!
!