Transferring old files to new computer - error message

My new Dell computer uses Windows XP Professional which
allows the user to transfer old files from the old computer
(which in this case uses windows 98) to my new computer.
Upon placing the Windows XP disk in the old computer, the
"welcome menu" comes up and I then select "perform
additional tasks," then "transfer files and settings."
Then the "files and settings transfer wizard" pops up and
the user is prompted to click "next." After I click "next"
I receive an error mesage: "An error occured while the
wizard was starting. To close click finish." After I
click finish the screen returns to the "welcome menu."

I have tried many things (reboot, closing anti-virus
monitoring programs and other similar RAM taxing programs,
etc - over and over again)to get past this problem with no
success.

Can you help me figure this problem out?

Thanks,
Kerry

Try checking the Event Viewer to see if there are corresponding errors.
Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, if you
find corresponding errors on any of the tabs, double click the error, the
information contained within may give a clue as to the source of the issue.

Also, while at the desktop, place the XP CD in the drive, when the setup
screen appears (Assuming Dell has provided you with a standard XP CD) when
the setup screen appears, click Check System Compatibility, the report it
generates may give a clue as to the source of the issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User