Blue Screen Error Message

Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and the
maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.

The error message is:
SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A

Then the standard "Press any key to continue"

Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key. Am
assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no virus
showing on system.

Please advise. Thank you
9 answers Last reply
More about blue screen error message

    This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either uninstall
    it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.

    "Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
    > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and
    > the
    > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
    > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    >
    > The error message is:
    > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    >
    > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    >
    > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
    > Am
    > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
    > virus
    > showing on system.
    >
    > Please advise. Thank you

    Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major problems
    for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:

    The Virus Bulletin
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

    ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

    AV-Test
    http://www.av-test.org/

    University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
    http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1

    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either uninstall
    > it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.

    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
    > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
    and
    > > the
    > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
    > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    > >
    > > The error message is:
    > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    > >
    > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    > >
    > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
    > > Am
    > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
    > > virus
    > > showing on system.
    > >
    > > Please advise. Thank you

    Thank you and Richard both for your assistance with this error message
    situation. Since the error message did begin with the "SYM" prefix, I had a
    feeling that the problem had something to do with the Norton's. Well, my
    Road Runner account is offering free anti-virus, so perhaps since my
    Norton's is not a happy camper with Microsoft, it might be time to check out
    what they have to offer.

    Problem is, I know that Norton's has a habit of sticking around in the
    registry quite a bit. Should I consider taking the steps needed to remove
    Norton's from my registry, or just let it stay there as long as it does not
    cause any further problems? I appreciate your thoughts and expertise in this
    matter. I have altered my registry in the past for one or two situations,
    and always was sure to back it up first, so I do understand the "fears" and
    need to think twice before doing anything in there.

    As for the problems I am having with my memory lately (well actually my PC's
    memory, not mine personally!), I guess that should be posted in a new
    thread? Going to have to create another scenario when it occurs specifically
    so I can document the entire occurrence correctly anyway.

    Thanks again, let me know on the registry/road runner offer when and if you
    can.

    Suzanne
    -----------------------------------

    "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major
    problems
    > for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:
    >
    > The Virus Bulletin
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
    >
    > ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    > http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml
    >
    > AV-Test
    > http://www.av-test.org/
    >
    > University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
    > http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc
    >

    > List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
    >
    > --
    > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ----------
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > > This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either
    uninstall
    > > it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at
    start-up.
    > > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
    > and
    > > > the
    > > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has
    been
    > > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    > > >
    > > > The error message is:
    > > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    > > >
    > > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    > > >
    > > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any
    key.
    > > > Am
    > > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
    > > > virus
    > > > showing on system.
    > > >
    > > > Please advise. Thank you

    If your NAV version is earlier than 2004, use the RNAV2003 tool to clear out
    most of the dross it leaves behind - look here
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

    Uninstall Norton first - then run the tool as well!!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Suzanne" <Suzywoo2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>

    >> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ----------
    >> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    >> > This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either
    > uninstall
    >> > it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    >> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    >> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.

    Following up, speak to Roadrunner about what AV tool they are using and/or
    offering to you as a client tool. Compare it to the others in the AV
    benchmarking organizations that I previously posted. If theirs is junk,
    obtain your own tool.
    Eg., http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    --
> [...]
    > > can.
    > >
    > > Suzanne
    > > -----------------------------------
    > >
    > > "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > >> Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major
    > > problems
    > >> for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:
    > >>
    > >> The Virus Bulletin
    > >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
    > >>
    > >> ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.

    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

    > >> AV-Test
    > >> http://www.av-test.org/
    > >>
    > >> University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
    > >> http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc
    > >>

    > >> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS

    Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
    C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show around
    600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but don't
    panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but go
    to google. It's listed in there.
    Kelly

    "Suzywoo2" wrote:

    > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
    > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and the
    > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
    > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    >
    > The error message is:
    > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    >
    > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    >
    > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key. Am
    > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no virus
    > showing on system.
    >
    > Please advise. Thank you

    Hello Kelly --

    I checked and only have 588 files in the Norton's inf folder, so that is
    fine. As for the version of Norton's, currently I am running Norton's
    Professional 2004 on my PC, and it expires in August -- although it looks as
    though I will be replacing it with something else before then. Am in the
    process of checking out the various ones sent to me previously in the thread
    versus the AV provided by Road Runner for efficiency, compatibility, etc.

    CWShredder looks interesting although I believe that the WebRoot Spy Sweeper
    I have is doing a good job of blocking any browser hijack attempts. At least
    I am really happy with it so far. Thanks for posting that though, was not
    aware of it and at least can relay the info to others who might need or want
    something like that.

    Regards -- Suzanne
    ------------------------------

    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
    > C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show
    around
    > 600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but
    don't
    > panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but
    go
    > to google. It's listed in there.
    > Kelly
    >
    > "Suzywoo2" wrote:
    >
    > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
    > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
    and the
    > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
    > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    > >
    > > The error message is:
    > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    > >
    > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    > >
    > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
    Am
    > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
    virus
    > > showing on system.
    > >
    > > Please advise. Thank you

    Suzy,
    I have Norton 2001, I bought 2002 but later switched back. I was running
    Norton and McAfee and all the guys on here said I couln't do that. I did it
    for 6 years without a problem but decided to un-install Norton Virus and keep
    the rest of the utilities. 2001 has a nice recovery program that I have used
    quite a few times. It boots you puter into windows instead of dos. MAfee is
    your best bet I think. Good luck.
    Kelly

    "Suzanne" wrote:

    > Hello Kelly --
    >
    > I checked and only have 588 files in the Norton's inf folder, so that is
    > fine. As for the version of Norton's, currently I am running Norton's
    > Professional 2004 on my PC, and it expires in August -- although it looks as
    > though I will be replacing it with something else before then. Am in the
    > process of checking out the various ones sent to me previously in the thread
    > versus the AV provided by Road Runner for efficiency, compatibility, etc.
    >
    > CWShredder looks interesting although I believe that the WebRoot Spy Sweeper
    > I have is doing a good job of blocking any browser hijack attempts. At least
    > I am really happy with it so far. Thanks for posting that though, was not
    > aware of it and at least can relay the info to others who might need or want
    > something like that.
    >
    > Regards -- Suzanne
    > ------------------------------
    >

    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
    > > Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
    > > C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show
    > around
    > > 600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but
    > don't
    > > panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but
    > go
    > > to google. It's listed in there.
    > > Kelly
    > >
    > > "Suzywoo2" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
    > > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
    > and the
    > > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
    > > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
    > > >
    > > > The error message is:
    > > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
    > > >
    > > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
    > > >
    > > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
    > Am
    > > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
    > virus
    > > > showing on system.
    > > >
    > > > Please advise. Thank you

    > I have Norton 2001, I bought 2002 but later switched back. I was running

    Probably about half of versions of Norton AntiVirus 2001 are actually
    incompatible with Windows ME. All of them are no longer supported, which
    means while you can still update the virus defs, you can't get program
    updates (eg fixes for vulnerabilities in NAV 2001).

    You need to stop using NAV 2001.

    Shane

Blue Screen Error Message Windows