Blue Screen Error Message

Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and the
maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.

The error message is:
SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A

Then the standard "Press any key to continue"

Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key. Am
assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no virus
showing on system.

Please advise. Thank you

This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either uninstall
it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.

"Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
> Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and
> the
> maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
> installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
>
> The error message is:
> SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
>
> Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
>
> Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
> Am
> assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
> virus
> showing on system.
>
> Please advise. Thank you

Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major problems
for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:

The Virus Bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

AV-Test
http://www.av-test.org/

University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1

--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either uninstall
> it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
> > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
and
> > the
> > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
> > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
> >
> > The error message is:
> > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
> >
> > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
> >
> > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
> > Am
> > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
> > virus
> > showing on system.
> >
> > Please advise. Thank you

Suzanne

Thank you and Richard both for your assistance with this error message
situation. Since the error message did begin with the "SYM" prefix, I had a
feeling that the problem had something to do with the Norton's. Well, my
Road Runner account is offering free anti-virus, so perhaps since my
Norton's is not a happy camper with Microsoft, it might be time to check out
what they have to offer.

Problem is, I know that Norton's has a habit of sticking around in the
registry quite a bit. Should I consider taking the steps needed to remove
Norton's from my registry, or just let it stay there as long as it does not
cause any further problems? I appreciate your thoughts and expertise in this
matter. I have altered my registry in the past for one or two situations,
and always was sure to back it up first, so I do understand the "fears" and
need to think twice before doing anything in there.

As for the problems I am having with my memory lately (well actually my PC's
memory, not mine personally!), I guess that should be posted in a new
thread? Going to have to create another scenario when it occurs specifically
so I can document the entire occurrence correctly anyway.

Thanks again, let me know on the registry/road runner offer when and if you
can.

Suzanne
-----------------------------------

"Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major
problems
> for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:
>
> The Virus Bulletin
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
>
> ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
> http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml
>
> AV-Test
> http://www.av-test.org/
>
> University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
> http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc
>

> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
>
> --
> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ----------
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> > This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either
uninstall
> > it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Suzywoo2" <Suzywoo2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at
start-up.
> > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
> and
> > > the
> > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has
been
> > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
> > >
> > > The error message is:
> > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
> > >
> > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
> > >
> > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any
key.
> > > Am
> > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
> > > virus
> > > showing on system.
> > >
> > > Please advise. Thank you

If your NAV version is earlier than 2004, use the RNAV2003 tool to clear out
most of the dross it leaves behind - look here
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Uninstall Norton first - then run the tool as well!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Suzanne" <Suzywoo2@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>

>> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
>>
>> --
>> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ----------
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> > This is a problem with your Symantec software, you should either
> uninstall
>> > it in Safe Mode or contact Symantec for assistance.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.

Following up, speak to Roadrunner about what AV tool they are using and/or
offering to you as a client tool. Compare it to the others in the AV
benchmarking organizations that I previously posted. If theirs is junk,
obtain your own tool.
Eg., http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

--
> [...]
> > can.
> >
> > Suzanne
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> >> Since both Norton AV and the Symantec Live Update tool cause major
> > problems
> >> for WinME, I suggest obtaining another AV tool:
> >>
> >> The Virus Bulletin
> >> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
> >>
> >> ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

> >> AV-Test
> >> http://www.av-test.org/
> >>
> >> University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
> >> http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc
> >>

> >> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS

Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show around
600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but don't
panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but go
to google. It's listed in there.
Kelly

"Suzywoo2" wrote:

> Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
> Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now and the
> maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
> installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
>
> The error message is:
> SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
>
> Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
>
> Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key. Am
> assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no virus
> showing on system.
>
> Please advise. Thank you

Suzanne

Hello Kelly --

I checked and only have 588 files in the Norton's inf folder, so that is
fine. As for the version of Norton's, currently I am running Norton's
Professional 2004 on my PC, and it expires in August -- although it looks as
though I will be replacing it with something else before then. Am in the
process of checking out the various ones sent to me previously in the thread
versus the AV provided by Road Runner for efficiency, compatibility, etc.

CWShredder looks interesting although I believe that the WebRoot Spy Sweeper
I have is doing a good job of blocking any browser hijack attempts. At least
I am really happy with it so far. Thanks for posting that though, was not
aware of it and at least can relay the info to others who might need or want
something like that.

Regards -- Suzanne
------------------------------

"kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
> Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
> C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show
around
> 600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but
don't
> panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but
go
> to google. It's listed in there.
> Kelly
>
> "Suzywoo2" wrote:
>
> > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
> > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
and the
> > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
> > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
> >
> > The error message is:
> > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
> >
> > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
> >
> > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
Am
> > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
virus
> > showing on system.
> >
> > Please advise. Thank you

Suzy,
I have Norton 2001, I bought 2002 but later switched back. I was running
Norton and McAfee and all the guys on here said I couln't do that. I did it
for 6 years without a problem but decided to un-install Norton Virus and keep
the rest of the utilities. 2001 has a nice recovery program that I have used
quite a few times. It boots you puter into windows instead of dos. MAfee is
your best bet I think. Good luck.
Kelly

"Suzanne" wrote:

> Hello Kelly --
>
> I checked and only have 588 files in the Norton's inf folder, so that is
> fine. As for the version of Norton's, currently I am running Norton's
> Professional 2004 on my PC, and it expires in August -- although it looks as
> though I will be replacing it with something else before then. Am in the
> process of checking out the various ones sent to me previously in the thread
> versus the AV provided by Road Runner for efficiency, compatibility, etc.
>
> CWShredder looks interesting although I believe that the WebRoot Spy Sweeper
> I have is doing a good job of blocking any browser hijack attempts. At least
> I am really happy with it so far. Thanks for posting that though, was not
> aware of it and at least can relay the info to others who might need or want
> something like that.
>
> Regards -- Suzanne
> ------------------------------
>

> "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
> > Suzy, What version of Northon are you running? Also in the run box type
> > C:windows/inf then click ok. In the box that comes up you should show
> around
> > 600 files. If you have around 10,000 then you have the Norton Flu but
> don't
> > panic it can be cleared up. Also run CWshredder. I don't know the link but
> go
> > to google. It's listed in there.
> > Kelly
> >
> > "Suzywoo2" wrote:
> >
> > > Lately I have been getting the following blue screen error at start-up.
> > > Whether related or not, I am also having "out of memory" problems now
> and the
> > > maximum amount of memory is installed for this PC. Nothing new has been
> > > installed but I cannot run the same programs in tandem anymore.
> > >
> > > The error message is:
> > > SYM Event (01) + 00010AE6 Error: 0E : 0028 : C00D1A1A
> > >
> > > Then the standard "Press any key to continue"
> > >
> > > Then none of the other programs will load following my pressing any key.
> Am
> > > assuming this is a Symantec error but nothing shows at their site, no
> virus
> > > showing on system.
> > >
> > > Please advise. Thank you

Shane

> I have Norton 2001, I bought 2002 but later switched back. I was running

Probably about half of versions of Norton AntiVirus 2001 are actually
incompatible with Windows ME. All of them are no longer supported, which
means while you can still update the virus defs, you can't get program
updates (eg fixes for vulnerabilities in NAV 2001).

You need to stop using NAV 2001.

Shane