how many standoffs needed for motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2005 6:59:23 PM

How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
around the cpu.

A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
part of the mobo?

I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
of support isn't there, and damage it.

The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
issue.

Thanks.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

More about : standoffs needed motherboard

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2005 7:30:14 PM

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
> around the cpu.
>
> A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
> I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
> screw-in legs.

Six should be plenty. If the back of the case is closest to this text, I'd
suggest laying out the standoffs like this:

X X X
X X

Don't skip the middle row, but no need to add the four around the CPU. Nine
screws for one motherboard would be overkill, and 13 would be insane. Six
should be fine. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 1:14:54 AM

you will be alright with 6 i have never heard of screws around the cpu? are
you sure about this?

i build pcs all the time and never came across this

make sure you put screws in to the board at the socketry
panel(kb,m,serial,printer,etc)

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
> around the cpu.
>
> A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
> I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
> screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
> before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
> screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
> memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
> part of the mobo?
>
> I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
> the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
> of support isn't there, and damage it.
>

> The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
> should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
> issue.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Meirman
> --
> If emailing, please let me know whether
> or not you are posting the same letter.
> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
Related resources
January 24, 2005 4:30:24 AM

I'm sort of assuming the holes around the CPU are actually for a
screw thru heatsink. Ignore 'em unless you need 'em for a heatsink.

MB standoffs/screws have 2 purposes. They ground the motherboard where
it wants to be grounded. They also secure the motherboard. When you
put in more ram, add on cards, or connect cables later, you don't want
the MB flexing. Flexing is bad for the MB. Additionally, putting in
a card later, on a not adequately supported MB can cause the MB to flex
away from the card. In an extreme case, the back bracket on the card will
hit the back of the case and keep it from being pushed down any further
to follow the flexing slot on the MB. The card won't be seated in the slot
and you will have to support the MB in any case.... unless you want to take
the bracket off the card to seat it in the slot.

If you have enough old stuff, steal some hex shaped "standoffs" from some of
your older cable connections; they're the same part. Later when you get some
more standoffs, if you ever do, you can put them back on the cable connector
brackets instead of pulling the MB to put them behind it.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:59:23 -0500, meirman <meirman@invalid.com> wrote:

>How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
>into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
>hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
>and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
>around the cpu.
>
>A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
>I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
>screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
>before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
>screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
>memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
>part of the mobo?
>
>I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
>the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
>of support isn't there, and damage it.
>

>The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
>should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
>issue.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Meirman
>--
>If emailing, please let me know whether
>or not you are posting the same letter.
>Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 6:59:03 AM

meirman wrote:

> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> hold a motherboard?

> I thought I was ready to assemble the computer today, but
> I only have 6 of those screw-in legs. I'm going to put
> the memory in and the cpu fan in before installing the
> motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of screws and
> the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
> memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there
> under that part of the mobo?

I would put one standoff under each hole in the mobo, even for holes
that don't line up with any holes in the case, because it never hurts
to have too much support to prevent the mobo from flexing and possibly
shorting to the case, especially near the corners of the mobo. If you
don't have enough standoffs, place stick-on rubber feet on the case
wall.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 1:24:44 PM

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:14:54 +0000
(UTC) "Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> posted:

>you will be alright with 6 i have never heard of screws around the cpu? are
>you sure about this?

Yes, they are outside area that the cpu occupies. A rectangle about 1
5/8" by 2 1/2 inches, iirc. (I measured last night.)

But there are no corresponding holes in the case. That's probably
what Larry et al. are referring to.

More detailed answer to others to follow.

>i build pcs all the time and never came across this
>
>make sure you put screws in to the board at the socketry
>panel(kb,m,serial,printer,etc)
>

>"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
>> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
>> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
>> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
>> around the cpu.
>>
>> A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
>> I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
>> screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
>> before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
>> screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
>> memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
>> part of the mobo?
>>
>> I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
>> the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
>> of support isn't there, and damage it.
>>

>> The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
>> should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
>> issue.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Meirman
>> --
>> If emailing, please let me know whether
>> or not you are posting the same letter.
>> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 1:24:45 PM

Those holes are for a cpu heatsink mount.
> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:14:54 +0000
> (UTC) "Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> posted:
>
> >you will be alright with 6 i have never heard of screws around the cpu?
are
> >you sure about this?
>
> Yes, they are outside area that the cpu occupies. A rectangle about 1
> 5/8" by 2 1/2 inches, iirc. (I measured last night.)
>
> But there are no corresponding holes in the case. That's probably
> what Larry et al. are referring to.
>
> More detailed answer to others to follow.
>
> >i build pcs all the time and never came across this
> >
> >make sure you put screws in to the board at the socketry
> >panel(kb,m,serial,printer,etc)
> >

> >"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
> >> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> >> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> >> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
> >> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
> >> around the cpu.
> >>
> >> A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
> >> I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
> >> screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
> >> before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
> >> screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
> >> memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
> >> part of the mobo?
> >>
> >> I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
> >> the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
> >> of support isn't there, and damage it.
> >>

> >> The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
> >> should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Meirman
> >> --
> >> If emailing, please let me know whether
> >> or not you are posting the same letter.
> >> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
> >

> Meirman
> --
> If emailing, please let me know whether
> or not you are posting the same letter.
> Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2005 5:48:35 PM

meirman wrote:

> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
> around the cpu.

You can download the manual for the mobo from Asus and follow its
recommendations. The manual for my A7V400-MX has a clear photo showing
the locations of the 8 mounting screws and a warning against overtightening.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 1:58:27 AM

On 24 Jan 2005 03:59:03 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
<larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>>I would put one standoff under each hole in the mobo, even for holes
>>>that don't line up with any holes in the case, because it never hurts
>>>to have too much support to prevent the mobo from flexing and possibly
>>>shorting to the case,

Shorting out the motherboard is exactly what this advise will do!! You
put a standoff in the case without a coresponding hole then the top of
that standoff will come in contact with a 'live' portion of the
motherboard, and then, by golly, there's your short!

"Only" put standoffs where there are holes and mainly where the MB
manual tells you to!

--
The Seabat
Anonymous

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:48:35 -0500
Ray K <raykosXXX@optonline.net> posted:

>meirman wrote:
>
>> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
>> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
>> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
>> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
>> around the cpu.
>
>You can download the manual for the mobo from Asus and follow its
>recommendations. The manual for my A7V400-MX has a clear photo showing
>the locations of the 8 mounting screws and a warning against overtightening.

Out of consideration for you all, before I posted, I did check the
manual and it says not a word about actually mounting the board.
Neither does the other Asus manual (for a board good for 200Mhz).

My friend tends not to give me accessories to the things he gives me,
like he doesn't give me the CD's and the manuals. But he did give me
the manual to this mobo. (an Asus A7M266).

BTW, do I need the CD that came with the motherboard? I'm sure there
is much more on it than I can download from the Asus site, but maybe I
don't need any of it.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2005 12:40:37 PM

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:30:24 GMT
kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) posted:

>I'm sort of assuming the holes around the CPU are actually for a
>screw thru heatsink. Ignore 'em unless you need 'em for a heatsink.
>
>MB standoffs/screws have 2 purposes. They ground the motherboard where
>it wants to be grounded. They also secure the motherboard. When you
>put in more ram, add on cards, or connect cables later, you don't want
>the MB flexing. Flexing is bad for the MB. Additionally, putting in
>a card later, on a not adequately supported MB can cause the MB to flex
>away from the card. In an extreme case, the back bracket on the card will
>hit the back of the case and keep it from being pushed down any further
>to follow the flexing slot on the MB. The card won't be seated in the slot
>and you will have to support the MB in any case.... unless you want to take
>the bracket off the card to seat it in the slot.
>
>If you have enough old stuff, steal some hex shaped "standoffs" from some of
>your older cable connections; they're the same part. Later when you get some
>more standoffs, if you ever do, you can put them back on the cable connector
>brackets instead of pulling the MB to put them behind it.

Thanks. That's a great idea. I've seen that, and I actually have
loads of cables, but so far last night and today (as of Sunday), I
haven't found one cable with that part on it.

The rest of this is just a narrative, and might bore readers who are
in a hurry.

I found one cable adaptor with "legs" but they were female at both
ends. And another that looked right, but I kept unscrewing the legs
and they never came out (the other end was inside the one-piece
plastic case.

I did find a phone-jack to serial port plug with 2, but they were
shorter than what I had been using. I can be pretty compulsive
sometimes, and if I screwed the board tightly to them, that would be
bad for the board.

Then I looked in old cases. Sometimes I pick up abandoned computers
at the end of hamfests. I had a packard-bell computer and I had to
take the whole thing apart to get the mobo out, for the standoffs, but
they turned out to be pressed into the case, with hex bases and round
posts.

I was about to give up but the next day (Monday) I noticed standoffs
on the back of the packard-bell mobo, next to the jacks, 6 of them.
But alas, they were too small for the screws in my case.

Anyhow, I learned a lot, and the weekend is over and there is no more
pressure to assemble it until next weekend. Maybe I can get some
"standoffs" by then.

BTW, I had plenty of those plastic standoffs that clip into the mobo
and then slide into slots in the case. But I guess they don't use
them anymore, at least Asus doesn't. And that's fine -- I always
found them difficult.

>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:59:23 -0500, meirman <meirman@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
>>into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
>>hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
>>and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
>>around the cpu.
>>
>>A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
>>I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
>>screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
>>before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
>>screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
>>memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
>>part of the mobo?
>>
>>I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
>>the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
>>of support isn't there, and damage it.
>>

>>The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
>>should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
>>issue.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Meirman
>>--
>>If emailing, please let me know whether
>>or not you are posting the same letter.
>>Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.
>
>~~~~~~
>Bait for spammers:
>root@localhost
>postmaster@localhost
>admin@localhost
>abuse@localhost
>postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
>uce@ftc.gov
>~~~~~~
>Remove "spamless" to email me.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
January 25, 2005 1:52:32 PM

Sometime on, or about Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:40:37 -0500, meirman wrote:

> In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:30:24 GMT
> kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) posted:
>

>>I'm sort of assuming the holes around the CPU are actually for a
>>screw thru heatsink. Ignore 'em unless you need 'em for a heatsink.
>>
>>MB standoffs/screws have 2 purposes. They ground the motherboard where
>>it wants to be grounded. They also secure the motherboard. When you
>>put in more ram, add on cards, or connect cables later, you don't want
>>the MB flexing. Flexing is bad for the MB. Additionally, putting in
>>a card later, on a not adequately supported MB can cause the MB to flex
>>away from the card. In an extreme case, the back bracket on the card will
>>hit the back of the case and keep it from being pushed down any further
>>to follow the flexing slot on the MB. The card won't be seated in the slot
>>and you will have to support the MB in any case.... unless you want to take
>>the bracket off the card to seat it in the slot.
>>
>>If you have enough old stuff, steal some hex shaped "standoffs" from some of
>>your older cable connections; they're the same part. Later when you get some
>>more standoffs, if you ever do, you can put them back on the cable connector
>>brackets instead of pulling the MB to put them behind it.
>
> Thanks. That's a great idea. I've seen that, and I actually have
> loads of cables, but so far last night and today (as of Sunday), I
> haven't found one cable with that part on it.
>
> The rest of this is just a narrative, and might bore readers who are
> in a hurry.
>
> I found one cable adaptor with "legs" but they were female at both
> ends. And another that looked right, but I kept unscrewing the legs
> and they never came out (the other end was inside the one-piece
> plastic case.
>
> I did find a phone-jack to serial port plug with 2, but they were
> shorter than what I had been using. I can be pretty compulsive
> sometimes, and if I screwed the board tightly to them, that would be
> bad for the board.
>
> Then I looked in old cases. Sometimes I pick up abandoned computers
> at the end of hamfests. I had a packard-bell computer and I had to
> take the whole thing apart to get the mobo out, for the standoffs, but
> they turned out to be pressed into the case, with hex bases and round
> posts.
>
> I was about to give up but the next day (Monday) I noticed standoffs
> on the back of the packard-bell mobo, next to the jacks, 6 of them.
> But alas, they were too small for the screws in my case.
>
> Anyhow, I learned a lot, and the weekend is over and there is no more
> pressure to assemble it until next weekend. Maybe I can get some
> "standoffs" by then.
>
> BTW, I had plenty of those plastic standoffs that clip into the mobo
> and then slide into slots in the case. But I guess they don't use
> them anymore, at least Asus doesn't. And that's fine -- I always
> found them difficult.

You can purchase those standoff's at almost any well-stocked computer
store. You can definitely get them online. They are not very expensive at
all. On my motherboard there are 9 mounting holes... but every board is
different. The real mounting holes all have a silver ring around them,
unlike the holes that are on either side of the CPU. Just make sure that
you don't end up with a standoff in the wrong location... that could short
something on the motherboard. I count holes and standoffs to make sure they
match and that there's a screw hole for each one.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
Anonymous

seabat wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2005 03:59:03 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
> <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> I would put one standoff under each hole in the mobo, even
>> for holes that don't line up with any holes in the case,
>> because it never hurts to have too much support to prevent
>> the mobo from flexing and possibly shorting to the case,

> Shorting out the motherboard is exactly what this advise
> will do!! You put a standoff in the case without a coresponding
> hole then the top of that standoff will come in contact with a
> 'live' portion of the motherboard, and then, by golly, there's
> your short!
>
> "Only" put standoffs where there are holes and mainly where the MB
> manual tells you to!

That's what I said -- "put one standoff under each _hole_ in the mobo,
even for holes that don't line up with any holes in the case," IOW I
sometimes end up with standoffs that are attached to the mobo but not
to the case.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 12:10:09 AM

seabat wrote:

> Shorting out the motherboard is exactly what this advise will do!! You
> put a standoff in the case without a coresponding hole then the top of
> that standoff will come in contact with a 'live' portion of the
> motherboard, and then, by golly, there's your short!
>
> "Only" put standoffs where there are holes and mainly where the MB
> manual tells you to!

And just how is putting a standoff "under each hole in the mobo" going to
touch anything but the "HOLE in the mobo" it's under?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2005 3:34:36 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:10:09 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>>>And just how is putting a standoff "under each hole in the mobo" going to
>>>touch anything but the "HOLE in the mobo" it's under?

I said putting standoffs in the holes in the "case" would create
problems. If you put standoffs in every one of the holes in your case
and then put the MB in, I would sure like to see it run without
shorting!

--
The Seabat
January 26, 2005 8:17:32 PM

seabat wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2005 03:59:03 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
> <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > I would put one standoff under each hole in the
> > mobo, even for holes that don't line up with any
> > holes in the case,

>Shorting out the motherboard is exactly what this
>advise will do!!

How? And it's "advice," not "advise."

> You put a standoff in the case without a coresponding
> hole then the top of that standoff will come in
> contact with a 'live' portion of the motherboard,
> and then, by golly, there's your short!
That's not what he said. Go back and read it again.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2005 1:47:18 AM

Trent© wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2005 15:17:21 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
> <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> I would put one standoff under each hole in the mobo, even
>> for holes that don't line up with any holes in the case,
>> because it never hurts to have too much support to prevent
>> the mobo from flexing and possibly shorting to the case,

>> I sometimes end up with standoffs that are attached to
>> the mobo but not to the case.
>
> LOL
>
> How do you compensate for the height of the threaded end?!

I flip it around so it sticks through the mobo, and I use a nut
instead of a screw to hold it to the mobo. Or I'll use a plastic
standoff and cut it off at the bottom. Also electronics parts stores
and hardware stores (real ones, not home centers) sell brass and
plastic standoffs in several sizes and styles, including some with only
threaded holes. They also carry plastic nuts and bolts.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2005 4:29:59 AM

seabat wrote:

> I said putting standoffs in the holes in the "case" would create
> problems. If you put standoffs in every one of the holes in your case
> and then put the MB in, I would sure like to see it run without
> shorting!

No, what you did was exclaim, in response to the first posters advice of
putting a standoff "under each hole in the mobo," and I again quote,
"Shorting out the motherboard is exactly what this advise will do!!"

Which is why I asked how you figure a standoff mounted 'under a hole' can
short out to anything on the motherboard?
January 28, 2005 12:16:27 PM

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:40:37 -0500, meirman <meirman@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:30:24 GMT
>>kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) posted:
>>

>>>I'm sort of assuming the holes around the CPU are actually for a
>>>screw thru heatsink. Ignore 'em unless you need 'em for a heatsink.
> That's a TERRIBLE idea!!
>
> Standoffs come in different heights...depending on the manufacturer.
> The height of the standoffs determines the height for the cards.
>
> Put the wrong standoffs in...and yer askin' for trouble.
>
> Have a nice one...
>
> Trent©

The standoffs come with the enclosure. The mainboard manuel will
denote where board should be affixed to the enclosure.
All of the above info can be found on the mfg's web page.
January 28, 2005 3:47:01 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 22:47:18 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Trent=A9 wrote:
>> On 25 Jan 2005 15:17:21 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
>> <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>>> I would put one standoff under each hole in the mobo, even
>>> for holes that don't line up with any holes in the case,
>>> because it never hurts to have too much support to prevent
>>> the mobo from flexing and possibly shorting to the case,
>
>>> I sometimes end up with standoffs that are attached to
>>> the mobo but not to the case.
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> How do you compensate for the height of the threaded end?!
>
>I flip it around so it sticks through the mobo, and I use a nut
>instead of a screw to hold it to the mobo. Or I'll use a plastic
>standoff and cut it off at the bottom. Also electronics parts stores
>and hardware stores (real ones, not home centers) sell brass and
>plastic standoffs in several sizes and styles, including some with only
>threaded holes. They also carry plastic nuts and bolts.

Once upon a time I used to buy wide nylon bushings from the hardware
store and press the standoff into the center of it. It made for great
physical support and if the standoff was a little short it didn't make
any difference as they sold a wide range of bushing sizes.
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 12:18:28 AM

> How many stand-offs, or whatever those posts are called that screw
> into the case and the motherboard is screwed to them, are needed to
> hold a motherboard? This one is an Asus board with an 800 Mhz CPU
> and 3x3 array of holes for mounting, plus a small 2x2 array of holes
> around the cpu.
>
> A very generous friend gives me his old computer parts, and I thought
> I was ready to assemble the computer today, but I only have 6 of those
> screw-in legs. I'm going to put the memory in and the cpu fan in
> before installing the motherboard, so can I skip the middle row of
> screws and the 4 surrounding the cpu? If later, I want to add more
> memory, can I do this even though the legs aren't there under that
> part of the mobo?
>
> I'm afraid I'll install with only these 6 in the row near the back and
> the row nearest the front of the case, and later forget the middle row
> of support isn't there, and damage it.
>

> The motherboard is an Asus A7M266, in case there is anything special I
> should know before using it. I bought a DDR DIMM, so that's not an
> issue.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Meirman

6 will be ok though I would make sure 1 of them was in the closest
official spot to yer memory slots ....... you said you set up the board
before casing it but chances are pretty good you will be changing memory
at some point or even swapping current memory slots even sooner .. n
that's when ya sometimes push down pretty hard on the board in the case

6 is fine though .. no problem
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2005 1:43:17 PM

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:30:41 GMT
Trent© <trentsauder@hotmail.com> posted:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:15:20 -0500, meirman <meirman@invalid.com>
>wrote:
>
>>>You should use ONLY the standoffs that come with the case...unless yer
>>
>>That only works if you have the standoffs that came with the case.
>>This is a used case and I don't have them.
>
>Then how do you know yer usin' the correct length?

When the board is the right height to fit well into the holes in the
back of the case, the standoffs are the right length.

>If they're ALL the wrong length...yeah, they'll match! lol
>

>Have a nice one...
>
>Trent©

You too.

Meirman