After Me froze, all I see is my wallpaper

My Me machine froze so I had to cold boot it. After I did so, it starts fine
but all I see is my desktop wallpaper and all I can do is ctrl-alt-del. No
other functionality is available.
I tried to reinstall Me but it fails at 65% every time.
Any idea?

"Jason Loster" <JasonLoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Me machine froze so I had to cold boot it. After I did so, it starts
fine
> but all I see is my desktop wallpaper and all I can do is ctrl-alt-del. No
> other functionality is available.
> I tried to reinstall Me but it fails at 65% every time.
> Any idea?

Go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and take a look at Article ID 273738.
"How To troubleshoot ME Startup Problems. If this doesn't do it, do a
search with your symptoms.
MLD

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? If so, have you attempted a System
Restore? I am also including the following on how to perform a System
Restore from a command prompt:
Windows Millennium Edition (Me) includes the System Restore tool, however,
you can start the System Restore tool from a command
prompt. Because of this, it may be useful to start the System Restore
tool when you are unable to start your Windows Me-based
computer normally or in Safe mode. This article describes how to start
the System Restore tool when you are unable to start your
Windows Me-based computer normally or in Safe mode.

MS KB Q279736 - "How to Start the System Restore Tool
From a Command Prompt"
;279736]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];279736

MORE INFORMATION

To start the System Restore tool when you are unable to start your
Windows Me-based computer normally or in Safe mode, you can
temporarily change the Windows shell from Explorer.exe to Progman.exe:

Start your computer by using the Windows Me Startup disk.

At the Startup menu, choose Minimum Boot .

At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini , and then
press ENTER.

Edit the shell= line so that it looks like this:

shell=progman.exe

Press ALT+F, and then press S to save the changes to the System.ini
file.

Press ALT+F, and then press X.

Remove your Windows Me Startup disk, and then restart your computer.
When your computer restarts, Program Manager should
start. If Program Manager does not start, repeat steps 1-7, being
careful to follow these steps exactly, and then continue to the
next step.

On the File menu, click Run , type msconfig in the Command Line box,
and then press ENTER.

Click Launch System Restore to begin restoring your computer to a
previous, functional state.

NOTE : After you configure your computer to start Program Manager, you
can start the System Restore tool by typing
c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe at a command prompt, and then
pressing ENTER.

For additional information about the System Restore tool, click the
article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

Q267951 Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Me
Hope that gets you out of the "hole."
Heirloom, old and mine just keeps getting deeper