freeze ups

Running a Dell 4100, 60G, 512 RAM. I the last couple of weeks have been
having a lot of trouble with lock up. Most of the time alt.ctrl,delete does
nothing and I have to hit reset and do the scandisk thing. Also when I go to
restart it hangs up. After a while started getting a blue screen and windows
would not load. After a few tries it would sometimes go into safe mode and I
would try system restore with no luck. After feeling it was time to go to the
shop I tried running a startup disk and ran
scanreg /restore and got windows back. alt,ctrl,delete still doesn't work as
well as restart. By the way I didn't think I was going to find this place
after they changed everything
Kelly Smith
kbsmith9@comcast.net
13 answers Last reply
More about freeze

    Begin by using System Restore to revert to a date prior to the time you
    noticed the problems.
    If this succeeds, get new AV signatures and scan immediately, as well as
    running any anti-spyware tools, with current definitions.
    Attempt to boot to Safe Mode if Normal Mode fails to load, and follow up per
    above.
    --
    Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running a Dell 4100, 60G, 512 RAM. I the last couple of weeks have been
    > having a lot of trouble with lock up. Most of the time alt.ctrl,delete
    does
    > nothing and I have to hit reset and do the scandisk thing. Also when I go
    > restart it hangs up. After a while started getting a blue screen and
    windows
    > would not load. After a few tries it would sometimes go into safe mode and
    > would try system restore with no luck. After feeling it was time to go to
    the
    > shop I tried running a startup disk and ran
    > scanreg /restore and got windows back. alt,ctrl,delete still doesn't work
    as
    > well as restart. By the way I didn't think I was going to find this place
    > after they changed everything
    > Kelly Smith
    > kbsmith9@comcast.net

    Jack, went back a month and a half where I had created a restore point after
    running defrag. Seems like when I run restore it takes about 10 minutes to
    fully process but it usually works. As usual it took 10 minutes for
    completion but it did not restart automatically after the bar finally filled.
    It attempted to restart but I ended up with a black screen with a blinking
    cursor in the upper left cornor. Back to reset. I have run McAfee with all
    the latest updates also McAfee Stinger, CWshredderand Ad-Aware. Still had to
    do the reset scandisk bit and restoration failed. I tried all this in normal
    mode. I don't know dos or mess with registry.
    Kelly

    "Jack Martinelli" wrote:

    > Begin by using System Restore to revert to a date prior to the time you
    > noticed the problems.
    > If this succeeds, get new AV signatures and scan immediately, as well as
    > running any anti-spyware tools, with current definitions.
    > Attempt to boot to Safe Mode if Normal Mode fails to load, and follow up per
    > above.
    > --
    > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ----------
    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Running a Dell 4100, 60G, 512 RAM. I the last couple of weeks have been
    > > having a lot of trouble with lock up. Most of the time alt.ctrl,delete
    > does
    > > nothing and I have to hit reset and do the scandisk thing. Also when I go
    > > restart it hangs up. After a while started getting a blue screen and
    > windows
    > > would not load. After a few tries it would sometimes go into safe mode and
    > > would try system restore with no luck. After feeling it was time to go to
    > the
    > > shop I tried running a startup disk and ran
    > > scanreg /restore and got windows back. alt,ctrl,delete still doesn't work
    > as
    > > well as restart. By the way I didn't think I was going to find this place
    > > after they changed everything
    > > Kelly Smith
    > > kbsmith9@comcast.net

    Jack, forgot to mention I tried all this in safe mode also and checked to
    make sure system restore was not disabled. It shows active but does not work.
    Kelly

    kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:

    > Jack, forgot to mention I tried all this in safe mode also and
    > checked to make sure system restore was not disabled. It shows active
    > but does not work. Kelly

    Kelly,

    Not that it will necessarily be able to help you with your freezing but
    what exactly happened, such as any error messages that you saw, when you
    tried using system restore?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike, I get no error messages. When I use system restore the progress bar
    advances to about one third and hangs there for up to 12/15 minutes before
    rebooting and then I get the message restoration unsucessful. This happens
    with several restore points. The system restore hot fix was also downloaded
    last year. Belarc advisor seems to show that everything is up to date. I have
    had some trouble with Kodak easyshare software. Un-installed it and tried to
    re-install it but had to go to Kodak and download a cleaner to remove some
    left over components. After that a new install downloaded ok. If I have no
    luck with the problem I may disable system restore then restart it and start
    from there.
    Kelly

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Jack, forgot to mention I tried all this in safe mode also and
    > > checked to make sure system restore was not disabled. It shows active
    > > but does not work. Kelly
    >
    > Kelly,
    >
    > Not that it will necessarily be able to help you with your freezing but
    > what exactly happened, such as any error messages that you saw, when you
    > tried using system restore?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    One more thing. When I go to msconfig, startup I do not find this file.
    STMGR.exe. It seems like this was in there before and had to do with system
    restore.
    Kelly

    "kbsmith9" wrote:

    > Mike, I get no error messages. When I use system restore the progress bar
    > advances to about one third and hangs there for up to 12/15 minutes before
    > rebooting and then I get the message restoration unsucessful. This happens
    > with several restore points. The system restore hot fix was also downloaded
    > last year. Belarc advisor seems to show that everything is up to date. I have
    > had some trouble with Kodak easyshare software. Un-installed it and tried to
    > re-install it but had to go to Kodak and download a cleaner to remove some
    > left over components. After that a new install downloaded ok. If I have no
    > luck with the problem I may disable system restore then restart it and start
    > from there.
    > Kelly
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Jack, forgot to mention I tried all this in safe mode also and
    > > > checked to make sure system restore was not disabled. It shows active
    > > > but does not work. Kelly
    > >
    > > Kelly,
    > >
    > > Not that it will necessarily be able to help you with your freezing but
    > > what exactly happened, such as any error messages that you saw, when you
    > > tried using system restore?
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Kelly,

    Why do you say you get no message when you at the same time tell me you
    see the message "restoration unsuccessful". That was a message from
    system restore and tells me the most likely cause of your problem. What
    follows will hopefully explain why you are seeing this message but it also
    means that unfortunately system restore will not be able to help you this
    time with your other problems although it may well give a clue as to their
    cause if you installed Win Me over itself.

    Restoration Unsuccessful:
    A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
    that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
    checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
    case the checkpoint is useless.

    What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
    You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
    right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
    If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
    need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
    easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
    (KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
    restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

    It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
    subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
    this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
    If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
    may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
    identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

    Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
    the following quick test.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:

    > Mike, I get no error messages. When I use system restore the progress
    > bar advances to about one third and hangs there for up to 12/15
    > minutes before rebooting and then I get the message restoration
    > unsucessful. This happens with several restore points. The system
    > restore hot fix was also downloaded last year. Belarc advisor seems
    > to show that everything is up to date. I have had some trouble with
    > Kodak easyshare software. Un-installed it and tried to re-install it
    > but had to go to Kodak and download a cleaner to remove some left
    > over components. After that a new install downloaded ok. If I have no
    > luck with the problem I may disable system restore then restart it
    > and start from there.

    Sorry, I thought you were refering to a popup error message. I had said I
    downloaded that hotfix 290700 last year and that Belarc showed it. I did not
    reinstall windows. Nevertheless I downloaded the hotfix again and did the
    operation you suggested. System restore worked ok and took out the new folder
    I created. I do get one error message on bootup. As follows:
    Kodaksoftwareupdater.exe lacks a '-' app ID separator. I've had this since I
    re-installed Kodak easyshare software.
    Kelly

    "Mike M" wrote:

> [...]
    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike, I get no error messages. When I use system restore the progress
    > > bar advances to about one third and hangs there for up to 12/15
    > > minutes before rebooting and then I get the message restoration
    > > unsucessful. This happens with several restore points. The system
    > > restore hot fix was also downloaded last year. Belarc advisor seems
    > > to show that everything is up to date. I have had some trouble with
    > > Kodak easyshare software. Un-installed it and tried to re-install it
    > > but had to go to Kodak and download a cleaner to remove some left
    > > over components. After that a new install downloaded ok. If I have no
    > > luck with the problem I may disable system restore then restart it

    Oh dear, without the *StateMgr entry being present and checked in MSConfig
    | Startup your system is really heading for problems as this would mean
    that not only is system restore not operating but also that your system is
    no longer benefiting from system file protection which means that
    essential system files can be either deleted or amended regardless of
    whether the replacement file is valid for use with Win Me or not.

    If you are sure that the *StateMgr entry is missing (rather than just
    unchecked) you can download a registry file
    (http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/SRIERFix.reg) from Noel Paton's site.
    Save this to your desktop, select and right click, and Merge. This will
    then add back the missing entry to the registry.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:

    > One more thing. When I go to msconfig, startup I do not find this
    > file. STMGR.exe. It seems like this was in there before and had to do
    > with system restore.

    I'm sorry but I am now somewhat confused. :-)

    > I had said I downloaded that hotfix 290700 last year

    I don't recall any mention by you of the 290700 patch before your last
    post.

    > I did not reinstall windows.

    This is what I find confusing. That you say you previously downloaded the
    290700 fix and did not subsequently reinstall windows. The only think I
    can think of, and it is now too late to check, is that your system restore
    problem wasn't due to the lack of the 290700 patch but rather due to a
    damaged restore archive and that this was cleared when system restore was
    reset as part of the re-installation of 290700.

    > Nevertheless I downloaded the hotfix
    > again and did the operation you suggested. System restore worked ok
    > and took out the new folder I created.

    That's good to read so you should be all systems go now in so far as
    system restore and system file protection are concerned.

    BTW did you have to use Noel's registry patch to reinstate the *StateMgr
    entry in MSConfig | Startup?

    Regards,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:

    > Sorry, I thought you were refering to a popup error message. I had
    > said I downloaded that hotfix 290700 last year and that Belarc showed
    > it. I did not reinstall windows. Nevertheless I downloaded the hotfix
    > again and did the operation you suggested. System restore worked ok
    > and took out the new folder I created. I do get one error message on
    > bootup. As follows: Kodaksoftwareupdater.exe lacks a '-' app ID
    > separator. I've had this since I re-installed Kodak easyshare
    > software.

    OK Mike, lol, I had said I downloaded the hotfix but didn't mention the
    number. *statemgr is in startup. Maybe I just missed it. Noel is a great guy
    and has helped a lot. Also you. Maybe it was because you thought I was a girl
    instead of a 77 year old wannabe computer geek. Anyway I'll probably
    un-install kodak easyshare and re-run the Kodak cleaner.
    Kelly

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > I'm sorry but I am now somewhat confused. :-)
    >
    > > I had said I downloaded that hotfix 290700 last year
    >
    > I don't recall any mention by you of the 290700 patch before your last
    > post.
    >
    > > I did not reinstall windows.
    >
    > This is what I find confusing. That you say you previously downloaded the
    > 290700 fix and did not subsequently reinstall windows. The only think I
    > can think of, and it is now too late to check, is that your system restore
    > problem wasn't due to the lack of the 290700 patch but rather due to a
    > damaged restore archive and that this was cleared when system restore was
    > reset as part of the re-installation of 290700.
    >
    > > Nevertheless I downloaded the hotfix
    > > again and did the operation you suggested. System restore worked ok
    > > and took out the new folder I created.
    >
    > That's good to read so you should be all systems go now in so far as
    > system restore and system file protection are concerned.
    >
    > BTW did you have to use Noel's registry patch to reinstate the *StateMgr
    > entry in MSConfig | Startup?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry, I thought you were refering to a popup error message. I had
    > > said I downloaded that hotfix 290700 last year and that Belarc showed
    > > it. I did not reinstall windows. Nevertheless I downloaded the hotfix
    > > again and did the operation you suggested. System restore worked ok
    > > and took out the new folder I created. I do get one error message on
    > > bootup. As follows: Kodaksoftwareupdater.exe lacks a '-' app ID
    > > separator. I've had this since I re-installed Kodak easyshare
    > > software.

    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running a Dell 4100, 60G, 512 RAM. I the last couple of weeks have been
    > having a lot of trouble with lock up. Most of the time alt.ctrl,delete
    does
    > nothing and I have to hit reset and do the scandisk thing. Also when I go
    > restart it hangs up. After a while started getting a blue screen and
    windows
    > would not load. After a few tries it would sometimes go into safe mode and
    > would try system restore with no luck. After feeling it was time to go to
    the
    > shop I tried running a startup disk and ran
    > scanreg /restore and got windows back. alt,ctrl,delete still doesn't work
    as
    > well as restart. By the way I didn't think I was going to find this place
    > after they changed everything
    > Kelly Smith
    > kbsmith9@comcast.net

    Have you looked at MS Knowledge base Article ID No. 273738? Lots of
    troubleshooting for Startup problems.
    MLD

    Checked the knowledge base. So far have repaired system restore but still
    have lockups including here and any other function I happen to be doing.
    During the lockup alt,ctrl,del does not function and I have to hit reset and
    do the scandisk thing or choose to cancel it. If I cancel usually McAfee or
    Zone Alarm will not load properly. I have wiped out all my old system restore
    check points so I can't go back.
    Kelly

    "MLD" wrote:

    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Running a Dell 4100, 60G, 512 RAM. I the last couple of weeks have been
    > > having a lot of trouble with lock up. Most of the time alt.ctrl,delete
    > does
    > > nothing and I have to hit reset and do the scandisk thing. Also when I go
    > > restart it hangs up. After a while started getting a blue screen and
    > windows
    > > would not load. After a few tries it would sometimes go into safe mode and
    > > would try system restore with no luck. After feeling it was time to go to
    > the
    > > shop I tried running a startup disk and ran
    > > scanreg /restore and got windows back. alt,ctrl,delete still doesn't work
    > as
    > > well as restart. By the way I didn't think I was going to find this place
    > > after they changed everything
    > > Kelly Smith
    > > kbsmith9@comcast.net
    >
    > Have you looked at MS Knowledge base Article ID No. 273738? Lots of
    > troubleshooting for Startup problems.
    > MLD

Windows