Temporary Internet Files folder - settings

128 RAM
32.4 GB free space on HD

What's the recommended allowance for the temporary internet files
folder?
The slider on my settings dialogue box goes from zero to 32000MB.
I recently read a post suggesting that it should be set at 20MB.
The reason I ask, is that since reducing the allowance from around
3815MB to 20MB, I seem to to be getting more IE errors.
Does IE error when the allowance is reached? Or does it discard older
files as necessary?
I'd appreciate some feedback on this.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about temporary internet files folder settings

    20MB should be more than adequate especially if you have a broadband
    connection.

    > Does IE error when the allowance is reached?

    No

    > Or does it discard older files as necessary?

    Yes. However there will be a build up of files, especially if you use
    Outlook Express that can only be cleared by manually emptying the folder
    (Internet Options | General | Delete Files) and ensuring that you check
    the box to "Delete all offline content".
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Smirnoff <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    > 128 RAM
    > 32.4 GB free space on HD
    >
    > What's the recommended allowance for the temporary internet files
    > folder?
    > The slider on my settings dialogue box goes from zero to 32000MB.
    > I recently read a post suggesting that it should be set at 20MB.
    > The reason I ask, is that since reducing the allowance from around
    > 3815MB to 20MB, I seem to to be getting more IE errors.
    > Does IE error when the allowance is reached? Or does it discard older
    > files as necessary?
    > I'd appreciate some feedback on this.
    > Thanks

    Thanks Mike.

    From: "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid>

    | Thanks Mike.
    |
    | Mike M wrote:
    >> 20MB should be more than adequate especially if you have a broadband connection.

    I agree with that. 20MB is all that is needed and anything else is a waste.

    Here are some disadvantages...
    It wastes space
    It will make a ScanDisk (chkdsk) take longer to complete
    It will make a defrag. take longer to complete
    It will make an "On Demand" anti virus scan take longer to complete

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid>
    >
    > | Thanks Mike.
    > |
    > | Mike M wrote:
    >
    >>>20MB should be more than adequate especially if you have a broadband connection.
    >

    > I agree with that. 20MB is all that is needed and anything else is a waste.
    >
    > Here are some disadvantages...
    > It wastes space
    > It will make a ScanDisk (chkdsk) take longer to complete
    > It will make a defrag. take longer to complete
    > It will make an "On Demand" anti virus scan take longer to complete

    and further, you can delete the Internet Temp files and keep History
    intact at any given time.

    Rick

Internet Explorer Internet Windows